The United States Mint published official launch dates for the five 2017 quarters that commemorate parks, monuments and historic sites in Iowa, the District of Columbia, Missouri, New Jersey and Indiana.
Release dates and designs showcased on the coins are:
- Feb. 6, 2017 – Effigy Mounds National Monument in Iowa.
- April 3, 2017 – Frederick Douglas National Historic Site in the District of Columbia.
- June 5, 2017 – Ozark National Scenic Riverways in Missouri.
- Aug. 28, 2017 – Ellis Island (Statue Of Liberty National Monument) in New Jersey.
- Nov. 13, 2017 – George Rogers Clark National Historical Park in Indiana.
On Sept. 1 the U.S. Mint unveiled line art images of the 2017 quarters, describing their designs and disclosing the artists who created them.
Each of the new quarters will start their journey into general circulation on the above published dates, and all of them will be produced at the facilities in Denver and Philadelphia. The San Francisco Mint also strikes quarters, but only for specially packaged numismatic products. Throughout 2017 the U.S. Mint will directly sell quarters produced from all three locations in several products, including:
- rolls and bags of them in circulating quality,
- circulating versions in coin sets,
- uncirculated editions in annual sets, and
- proof versions in annual sets.
The U.S. Mint will also use the same 2017 quarter designs on companion bullion and collector coins that are composed from five ounces of 99.9% fine silver. CoinNews will talk more about these large coins and each new quarter product when they become available.
Next year’s coins mark the 36 through 40 issues in an 11-year series. A total of 56 sites will have been honored when the U.S. Mint’s program America the Beautiful Quarters® comes to an end in 2021.