The United States Mint released the latest set in the America the Beautiful Quarter product series, the 2013 Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine Quarters Three-Coin Set.
This set launched today and is available for $9.95, which is the same price as the last eight America the Beautiful Quarters Three-Coin Sets. The three coins that are included in the set are:
- an uncirculated coin from the Denver Mint,
- an uncirculated coin from the Philadelphia Mint and
- a proof coin from the San Francisco Mint.
Each Fort McHenry quarter features a mint mark on the obverse or heads side to notate its mint of origin (‘D, ‘P” or ‘S’).
These coins are held in a durable plastic card that features a picturesque image and a brief description of the national monument and the coin, as well as a Certificate of Authenticity.
Ordering the Fort McHenry ATB Quarters Three-Coin Sets
Collectors may order their Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine Quarters Three-Coin Set by going directly to the United States Mint’s "front door" at www.usmint.gov or directly through this this online product page.
They may also place their orders over the phone by calling 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468), though this route will skip out on a $4.95 savings since the U.S. Mint has a shipping promotion for web ordered products through September 30.
Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine Quarter Design
Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine quarters are the fourth America the Beautiful Quarters released this year and the nineteenth overall.
All the coins share a common obverse. John Flanagan’s portrait of George Washington graces their front with surrounding inscriptions of "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "LIBERTY," "QUARTER DOLLAR" and "IN GOD WE TRUST."
The reverse or tails side of America the Beautiful Quarters have designs that are emblematic of the sites they represent. The reverse design on this coin, by Joseph Menna, depicts the site during the "Defenders Day" celebration, considered the centerpiece annual event at Fort McHenry with the most recent one this last weekend. The fireworks symbolize the "rocket’s red glare," linking the fort to its historic past when Francis Scott Key penned the poem, "The Star Spangled Banner." Inscriptions are "FORT McHENRY," "MARYLAND," "2013" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM."
Previous and Upcoming ATB Quarters
For the 2013 calendar year, the United States Mint has already released four quarters from the America the Beautiful series. These honor White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire, Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial in Ohio, Great Basin National Park and Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine in Maryland.
That leaves only one left, the coin that will commemorate Mount Rushmore National Monument in South Dakota. It is scheduled for a November 4 release.
Previous America the Beautiful Quarter releases are as follows:
2012 America the Beautiful Quarters honoring:
- El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico,
- Chaco Culture National Historical Park in New Mexico,
- Acadia National Park in Maine,
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii and
- Denali National Park in Alaska
2011 America the Beautiful Quarters featuring:
- Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania,
- Glacier National Park in Montana,
- Olympic National Park in Washington,
- Vicksburg National Military Park in Mississippi and
- Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Oklahoma
2010 America the Beautiful Quarters celebrating:
- Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas,
- Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming,
- Yosemite National Park in California,
- Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona and
- Mount Hood National Forest in Oregon