South Dakotans and collectors can now order the 2013 Mount Rushmore National Memorial Quarters Three-Coin Set, the latest United States Mint release from its lineup of America the Beautiful Quarter products.
Placed on sale today, Nov. 19, 2013, at noon ET, the Three-Coin Set includes three different quarters depicting the popular national memorial found in South Dakota. Priced at 9.95, the same as the last nine America the Beautiful Quarter Three-Coin Sets, included are:
- an uncirculated Mount Rushmore quarter from the Denver Mint,
- an uncirculated Mount Rushmore quarter from the Philadelphia Mint and
- a proof Mount Rushmore quarter from the San Francisco Mint.
The coin’s mint mark, indicating the city of origin where it was produced, is on the obverse (heads) side. Mint marks are ‘S’ for San Francisco, ‘P’ for Philadelphia, or ‘D’ for Denver. More specifically, the letters denote whether the quarter was struck at the San Francisco Mint, the Philadelphia Mint or the Denver Mint.
The three coins are held in a durable plastic card with a picturesque image of the site on front and a back that has a brief description of the national monument and coins as well as a U.S. Mint Certificate of Authenticity.
Mount Rushmore National Memorial Quarter Design
The obverse (heads) side of the Mount Rushmore quarter is the same as previous quarters in the ATB series. It depicts the 1932 portrait of President George Washington by John Flanagan, digitally restored to show subtle details found in the original model. Surrounding inscriptions read "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "LIBERTY," "IN GOD WE TRUST" and "QUARTER DOLLAR."
The reverse (tails) side of the Mount Rushmore quarter, designed and sculpted by Joseph Menna, feature a close up of men at work on Thomas Jefferson’s face at the memorial. The image was inspired by old photos of workers who were adding details to the President’s faces, which offers a unique perspective on the mountain carving process that created Mount Rushmore nearly 90 years ago. Reverse inscriptions read "MOUNT RUSHMORE," "SOUTH DAKOTA," "2013" and "E PLURIBUS UNUM."
Ordering the Mt. Rushmore National Memorial Quarter Three-Coin Set
The 2013 Mount Rushmore National Memorial America the Beautiful Quarter Three-Coin Set can be ordered by going to www.usmint.gov with the product page for sets here.
Collectors may also place their order by phone by calling 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).
Past and Future America the Beautiful Quarters
The Mount Rushmore National Memorial Quarter is the last to be released for 2013. The others for this year honored White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire, Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial in Ohio, Great Basin National Park and Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine in Maryland.
The America the Beautiful quarters that are scheduled for a 2014 release are;
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee,
- Shenandoah National Park in Virginia,
- Arches National Park in Utah,
- Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado, and
- Everglades National Park in Florida.
America the Beautiful Quarter releases from previous years paid tribute to;
2012 America the Beautiful Quarters honoring:
- El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico,
- Chaco Culture National Historical Park in New Mexico,
- Acadia National Park in Maine,
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii and
- Denali National Park in Alaska
2011 America the Beautiful Quarters featuring:
- Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania,
- Glacier National Park in Montana,
- Olympic National Park in Washington,
- Vicksburg National Military Park in Mississippi and
- Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Oklahoma
2010 America the Beautiful Quarters celebrating:
- Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas,
- Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming,
- Yosemite National Park in California,
- Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona and
- Mount Hood National Forest in Oregon