U.S. Mint Produces 1.1 Billion Coins for Circulation in November

Circulating 2021 quarters
Circulating 2021 quarters

The amount of U.S. coins produced for circulation in November topped one billion for a tenth month in a row, but the monthly pace was the slowest since January, according to the latest manufacturing figures published by the United States Mint.

A touch over 1.1 billion coins made their way into circulation last month, marking declines of 9% from October and 5.2% from November of last year. Here’s how the month compares to others in the past year:

November 2020 to November 2021 Circulating Coin Production

April 2021 1,320.28 M 4
March 2021 1,134.84 M 10
February 2021 1,163.40 M 9
January 2021 919.52 M 12
December 2020 903.50 M 13
November 2020 1,165.10 M 8

The Federal Reserve orders more 1-cent coins from the U.S. Mint than any other denomination even as available data shows it costs 1.76 cents to make and distribute each one. The Mint made 666 million Lincoln cents last month, representing 60.3% of the circulating-quality coins produced.

Month-Over-Month

In month-over month comparisons for coins used daily by Americans, production totals in November saw:

• 4.7% fewer Lincoln cents,
  • 39.2% more Jefferson nickels,
  • 28.3% fewer Roosevelt dimes, and
  • 20.8% fewer quarters.

Native American $1 coins and Kennedy half-dollars are no longer ordered by Federal Reserve Banks, but they are still made in circulating quality for coin collectors. Often in January, the U.S. Mint strikes both coins to the expected amounts needed for the entire year.

That wasn’t the case for 2021 halves. Mint data shows none were produced until February, and then only 1.6 million from Denver. Philadelphia finally showed up in March at 1.9 million. Then in April, amounts for both facilities advanced by 5.2 million from Denver and 2.9 million from Philadelphia. In May, production increased by 900,000 from Denver and 300,000 from Philadelphia. Finally, the Philadelphia Mint in August produced another 300,000.

Together, the months add to a combined 13.1 million halves — the most for a year since 2001. Last year’s half-dollar ended with 3.4 million from Denver and 2.3 million from Philadelphia for a total of 5.7 million halves.

Published mintages of 2021 Native American dollars have remained unchanged since January with equal splits of 1.26 million from Denver and 1.26 million from Philadelphia for a combined 2.52 million coins. In contrast, the 2020 dollar saw 1.26 million for Denver and 1.4 million for Philadelphia for 2.66 million coins.

The U.S. Mint started selling rolls and bags of 2021 Native American dollars on Feb. 16. Rolls and bags of 2021 Kennedy half dollars debuted on May 11.

Here’s a summary of all circulating-quality coins produced last month:

US Mint Circulating Coin Production in November 2021

Denomination Denver Philadelphia Total
Lincoln Cents 340,000,000 326,000,000 666,000,000
Jefferson Nickels 58,560,000 53,040,000 111,600,000
Roosevelt Dimes 77,000,000 90,500,000 167,500,000
Quarters 97,400,000 62,200,000 159,600,000
Kennedy Half Dollars 0 0 0
Native American $1s 0 0 0
Total 572,960,000 531,740,000 1,104,700,000

U.S. Mint plants in Denver and Philadelphia manufacture all of America’s coins for commerce. Last month, the Denver Mint made 572.96 million coins and the Philadelphia Mint made 531.74 million coins for the combined 1,104,700,000 coins.

YTD Totals

Year to date, the Denver Mint has struck 6,955,740,000 coins and the Philadelphia Mint has struck 6,584,360,000 coins for a total of 13,540,100,000 coins, which is 2.4% fewer than the 13,870,880,000 coins minted through the same period in 2020.

This next table lists coin production totals for 2021 by denomination and by U.S. Mint facility:

YTD 2021 Circulating Coin Production by Denomination

1 ¢ 5 ¢ 10 ¢ 25 ¢ 50 ¢ N.A. $1 Total:
Denver 3667.2M 770.88M 1411.5M 1097.2M 7.7M 1.26M 6955.74M
Philadelphia 3637.6M 731.5M 1277M 931.6M 5.4M 1.26M 6584.36M
Total 7304.8M 1502.38M 2688.5M 2028.8M 13.1M 2.52M 13540.1M

If the current production pace stretched through the end of December, based on a monthly average of 1.2 billion coins, the annual mintage for 2021 would top 14.7 billion coins. The U.S. Mint made over 14.77 billion coins for circulation in 2020.

Mintages by Unique Design

In addition to the Native American dollar, the U.S. Mint released (on Feb. 8) another coin with a one-year-only design — the 2021 Tuskegee Airmen quarter for Alabama. Its mintage remained unchanged in October.

This last table offers a breakdown of this year’s mintages that have been reported by coin design:

2021 Circulating Coin Production by Design

Denver Philadelphia Total
Lincoln Cent 3,667,200,000 3,637,600,000 7,304,800,000
Jefferson Nickel 770,880,000 731,500,000 1,502,380,000
Roosevelt Dime 1,411,500,000 1,277,000,000 2,688,500,000
Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site Quarter (Alabama) 304,000,000 160,400,000 464,400,000
George Washington Crossing the Delaware Quarter not reported not reported not reported
Kennedy Half-Dollar 7,700,000 5,400,000 13,100,000
Native American $1 Coin 1,260,000 1,260,000 2,520,000
Total 6,162,540,000 5,813,160,000 11,975,700,000

There are 1,564,400,000 in quarters that the U.S. Mint has yet to officially assign to a design. These are 2021 George Washington Crossing the Delaware quarters. Not too many more, if any, will be made with the first 2022 American Women quarters soon to be released.

Notify of
guest
72 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Kaiser Wilhelm

I know everyone has heard this so many times before, but this is definitely a case where a reminder that “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result” applies spot on to the obviously relentless but clearly wasted effort and expense expended on producing unused cents month after tedious month.

9b81daf4e048f08c86b3fb7a19900e70.jpg
Last edited 21 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kia99

What would it take to change to a sensible group of coins to facilitate commerce? Merchants could list prices as they choose, but in a final cash transaction, the amount would be rounded to the closest??? quarter? Gas stations used to post prices to a tenth of a cent but we only paid to the closest penny and a gallon was 1/20th of today. We could circulate dollars and quarter dollars and save handling nonsense coins and production costs like Kaiser says!

Kaiser Wilhelm

Kia99, You brought up two very relevant points here, one of which is the almost universal application of that ludicrous sales gimmick of setting and posting prices that always end in a figure a cent short of the next dollar amount up. Aside from being a blatant insult to the consumer’s intelligence it also necessitates the time and coin consuming drudgery of making change when a nicely rounded figure would allow the simple skipping of that foolish extra step. Additionally, there is the issue of the expense to the taxpayer due to the costly production of cents and nickels. Although… Read more »

giphy.gif
Last edited 20 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Jake

Woa woa woa, ok good topic, as for Kia 99, gas stations still price gas to the .001 of a cent, purely for profit.. KW it’s not a brain freeze if you keep buying gold. Gold is right there, in your hand, to be disposed of at your very own discretion, of course, according to what spot price is at any given moment, in a time of your needs… So, to KW, is saving every penny a definition of insanity? Because saving money works. It all adds up.

Jake,

I think that perhaps there has been a slight miscommunication here. The “insanity” I was referring to was the Mint continuing to turn out cent pieces that cost that facility 1.76 cents each to strike. This means that the Mint is losing .76 cents with every cent struck, and since they produce billions of these the losses mount up.

Also, I don’t know how gold managed to come into the picture as I don’t recall this discussion having made any reference to that particular precious metal. Just sayin’.

8aydn.jpg
Last edited 19 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Jake

Oh… gotcha, also I dont know how this thread about 1.1 billion coins produced got sidetracked, but I guess it did. ok 🙂 KW I always say, it takes longer to think about a problem, rather than just solve it.

Jake,

That last sentence of yours conveys a ton of truth and wisdom. I myself have thought about problems for ages before solving them in a flash!

heres-a-solution-im-mad-dont-want-a-solution-want-43251536.jpg
Last edited 16 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mike Hunt

Kaiser —
Just saw your posting. But re the Mint losing 0.76 cents on every penny minted, they are actually making it up on all of us collectors. I know they have on me.
— Mike

Mike,

You are so right. The Mint makes up its losses on both the bullion it sells to the Authorized Purchasers practically at cost and those denominations of the circulating coinage it sells to the Federal Reserve at a major loss by eviscerating the bank accounts of collectors with every triple or more priced numismatic item it takes us for.

6e21a617e4ebca3e205ccd4314d050fe--scott-adams-lwren-scott.jpg
Clockwork Squirrel

A bit late to the party, but anyway … My (unrounded) 2¢ is that despite its ubiquity, the quarter is the last coin that should be considered for retention. It’s not even a truly decimal coin because it’s not a multiple of 10, and of course was created only for compatibility with Spanish 8-reales pieces. It’s more a hybrid like the mixed-denomination 2½-shilling coin in Britain’s old £sd* system. Maybe we should do a partial clean-slate reform and have something like New Zealand with 10¢, 20¢, 50¢, $1, and $2. Of course there’d be volcanic screeching about “traditions” not to… Read more »

Clockwork Squirrel,

I really like your plan for a more rational coinage system, especially by dumping the nickel and cent and swapping the quarter for a twenty cent piece. Kudos!

2e6f37441915be77309feb7c7946061100e04cda4a816840c4b2026f25ed73b8.jpg
Last edited 17 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Rich

A socialist coin is an oxymoron. Or as Groucho Marx once put it, “Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.”

Rich,

My favorite part was the great Groucho rolling out his “Say the secret word!”

1q2e98.jpg
Last edited 16 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kia99

Yes, any change will be hit with incredible resistance. If you don’t like my two bits, I could live with a 50 cent piece if it were smaller than the dollar coin, there is a good reason the current massive 50 cent piece doesn’t circulate!

Kia99,

Drop the cent and nickel entirely.
Leave the dime the same size it is now.
Make the twenty cent piece the size of the nickel.
Reduce the size of the fifty cent piece to that of the quarter.
Problems solved.

DetectCirclesFromIPCameraUsingImageProcessingToolboxExample_01.jpg
Domenic Vaiasicca

fyi,appears last of the ASE 2021 “S” mint PROOF dollars is headed for a sellout….145 left and dropping as of 8PM PST. I went ahead and snagged another one since i decided to pass on unc. law enforcement dollar

Domenic,

A wise choice. Commemorative coins, with some exceptions, don’t hold their value well.

1992-d-olympic-baseball-1-silver-commem-bu-w-box-coa_6989_Obv.jpg
Last edited 19 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Major D

Hey Kaiser, I’ve been perplexed this one: that commemorative coins don’t hold their value- why do you think this is so? Most, especially the uncirculated ones have very low mintages.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Major D, I’ve given this my share of thought over the years, and the single conclusion I’ve been able to come to is that sometimes the fact of its scarcity alone just isn’t quite enough to enhance a coin’s value. After all, the reason these commemorative coins aren’t very numerous after their one year sales period is finished isn’t that there were just a few of them made but rather that they just didn’t appeal to that many collectors to want to spend their money on them in the first place. That’s a big difference from other coins that were… Read more »

Saint_Gaudens.jpg
Last edited 19 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Major D

Thanks for your insight! I’ve started collecting commemorative dollars because I like many of the designs- and they’re silver. I often find them well below the mint’s original selling price on the secondary market, which is why I do not buy directly from the mint when they are available there. Likewise, there are several Canadian silver coins I’ve picked up because I like the designs. I guess the majority of silver coin buyers must be into ASE’s, Peace and Morgans only?

Domenic Vaiasicca

Can i chime in? I on occasion collect commemorative coins (dollars) too.The problem is, in my opinion, what appears to be poor choices in subject and design for many of them. Yes, most of us jumped on the Morgan and Peace dollar bandwagon….they are very beloved coins. Again, with next years subjects i find them pretty ho hum…. In previous years i loved March of Dimes promotion, Mark Twain dollar, and the big Kennedy set etc. NOW when it comes to next years quarters and the ladies who will grace them…..that has me totally excited and i enrolled in their… Read more »

Major D

Domenic, thanks for chiming in. I’m with you on next year’s quarters and the new series. Hopefully the later designs don’t go the way of the AI dollars which have turned quite bad in my opinion. Of the modern commemorative designs there are around two dozen that I really like. I guess with any of the rotating designs there are going to be some good designs and some not so good ones.

Major D,

I’m hoping the quarters honoring women will maintain the consistently high level the ATB Quarters were able to do.

As for the AI dollars, sometimes the choice of a particular state’s “big achievement” doesn’t quite hit the mark. As you pointed out, that is quite likely going to be an up and down sort of series with some big winners and some less inclined to fall into that category.

consistent.jpg
Last edited 18 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm

Domenic, You and I think alike in regard to the poor subject matter and unattractive design choices of all too many of the Mint’s recent commemorative coin issues. Those other series that you mentioned – March of Dimes, Mark Twain and Kennedy – were fabulous both in selection of dedication and in all-around appearance. Kudos for listing those! When the America the Beautiful Quarters collection ended I was ready for another topic at least close to how great those were and with the Women Quarters series I believe we have that. Hooray! Remember, Domenic, it is the Congress that comes… Read more »

21ce_b.jpg

Major D,

You’ve come upon a great strategy for buying those overpriced commemoratives; I’ll keep that in mind for my own purchases!

The RCM does put out some nice looking silver coins; again, something interesting for me to start considering also.

Yes, the ASEs, Peace and Morgans have the kind of staying power that commemorative coin issues lack; that’s just the way it is.

2oz-silver-rcm-creatures-of-the-north-werewolf-reverse.jpg
Last edited 18 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kia99

Valid observations! Rarity alone does not create value. Consider the “First Spouse” series. Most commemoratives have a short temporal appeal and the art work is seldom of a level that adds lasting appeal. Still I buy some that appeal to me; if I value the people or events and the coins become a representation of history. But isn’t it even more enjoyable when the coins you enjoy go up in value?

gold commemoratives.jpg

Excellent points, Kia99!

Visual appeal is the primary factor for me when it comes to which coin and/or set of coins I wish to acquire.

Value appreciation possibility of a coin(s) is a nice idea but it has far less influence on my collecting choices.

1976-austria-gold-1000-schillings-bu_37340_rev.jpg
Last edited 18 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm

Absolutely

01-02-2022_012.jpg

SENZA,

How on earth did I ever miss out on the above shown spectacularly designed and so very appropriately evocative coin?

Now I’ll have to go on the long-after market to procure both the
ProofOf-Insanity and Unduly-OverCirculated versions.

s-l1600.jpg
Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Rich

Any thoughts on the $5 Gold Commemorative coins… Do you think Rube Foster will be the new Jackie Robinson?

Rich,

I tend to doubt that since Jackie Robinson integrated Major League Baseball while Rube Foster founded the Negro Baseball League in lieu of being allowed to join all-white MLB.

ChiUnionGiants_1905.jpg

PICK YOUR HEROES CAREFULLY

12-31-2021_002.jpg

SENZA,

I’m puzzled by this one since “Inject Bleach” came from Trump and “Let’s Go Brandon” was invented by his followers. Neither of these tropes has anything to do with Biden. It might have made more sense to have pictured The Donald twice.

2ht4vh.jpg

Kaiz,

Your coinwordory is so elequent I’m shocked that you would buy into either party – even the most out of touch Dem lovers now know the whole thing is a mafioso Ponzi, Stong-Arm and Raid-The-Cookie_Jar SCAM – but I guess we all have to believe in something.

If your a FED recipient more power to you Bro but I’m sure not.

01-01-2022_005.jpg

SENZA dear friend,

You can put your concerns and worries aside; I trust either Party less than I would a honey badger in my Fruit of the Looms while I’m wearing them.

I think what might have inadvertently led your analysis awry is the simple fact that I don’t always lambaste the two political factions simultaneously.

Bottom line, both Parties empty our wallets of our hard earned money as if we owed it to them and then dispense it as if it was a gift from them to us.

gold-silver-giving-money-and-power-to-government-is-like-15069685.jpg
Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
SENZA

Jim Cramer “I coward’ under my desk on 911”

01-01-2022_009.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

I know only one thing about this guy, that he’s a multimillionaire Wall Street analyst. I’m wondering; is there more I should be aware of?

Mission Accomplished

01-01-2022_011.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Somebody give this guy a couple more quarters so he can take another ride.

6fcaf420-23c7-4b3e-8657-279dd941bb91_1.f25cad2b5794c82f5398fef871d1103e.jpeg
Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm

The Truth Matters or Not

01-01-2022_013.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

I am compelled to opine here that the distance between illicit oral sex and attempting to overthrow the legally elected government is wider than that from the earth to the moon. Clinton was adulterous; Trump is treasonous.

247287.png
Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm

Read my Lips No New Taxes OK maybe

01-01-2022_015.jpg

oops

01-01-2022_016.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Bush’s really big lie was about the WMD in Iraq that didn’t exist. Trump’s monumental lie is about the election he didn’t win. In the long run, the latter has the potential for even more damage than the former.

Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm

LOOKY WHAT CAFFEINE MIKE CAME UP WITH

12-31-2021_007.jpg
Rich

WOW, even comes with a pouch! That is the first reference I have seen of 2022 NGC “First Allocation” as opposed to the 2021 NGC “Advance Releases” and PCGS “Advance Release” release type designation. Wonder if NGC is replacing one for the other of will carry both types next year, similar to their NGC “Early Releases” and “First Release” which basically designate the same type of release. Sure to be a Money Maker.

Rich

… and yet another iteration of that trope for Sir Kaiser…

money.png

Rich,

The one above and “Mind The Gap” are two of my all time favorites!

Inkedman-utd-fans-keep-calm-and-mind-the-gap-7149551_LI.jpg
Last edited 16 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm

Rich,

What on earth is the pouch for in regard to that coin? What am I missing here, mon ami?

2oj0iy.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

All that strong caffeine Mike “The Coffee King” Mezack ingested over twenty-plus years was bound to result in some sort of strange nonsense sooner or later, and here we are!

memes_08-1.jpg
Last edited 16 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
SENZA

It’s all still the most corrupt Network of Mafioso Madness rooted with the US Mint and spreading like a plague via HSN NGC and all the other accomplices – the gift of a mere Ryder, resignation is their hope that the Dirty Deeds will continue unobstructed but I am here to make sure this is the beginning of their exposure leading to the end of their corruption. The sleeping giant is awakening in the rage of the people who can’t even ignore it with eye wide shut.

01-01-2022_007.jpg

SENZA,

I wish I could share the optimism of your outrage.

Unfortunately, I can’t forget that it was the Mint’s parent agency, the United States Treasury, that spent over a TRILLION TAXPAYER DOLLARS in 2008 to bail out the very perpetrators of the Great Recession.

Those unrepentant miscreants involved in a variety of willful catastrophes in stock trading, banking, insurance and manufacturing were all made financially whole. Meanwhile the government abandoned tens of millions of ordinary citizens to homelessness, debt and poverty.

a2cc54a6151f311006e6d842dac96c44.jpg
Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
SENZA

Apples and Oranges Kaiz, but it’s all Government corruption anyway you slice them and they are all dirty rotten scoundrels in my little world. Have you not noticed Brandon and Trumpy are vaccine warriors and Jan 6 never happened – just look a little harder and you will see thru the fog of fake parties……

01-02-2022_001.jpg

SENZA old buddy,

They Live is one of the very finest yet simultaneously one of the most underrated science fiction and social commentary films ever made. Thanks, SENZA, for posting that movie still shot composite; what a great visual mini-synopsis! Lest we forget, RIP the great Rowdy Roddy Piper. Additionally, the relatively far more harrowing Jacob’s Ladder is a brilliant “companion piece” to this, and the wildly imaginative Escape From New York, while much less intense, is also worthy of mention.

but-could-it-happen-in-real-life-1518193884.jpg
Last edited 13 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm

HAPPY NEW YEARS

CHEERS TO SHUTTING DOWN THE US MINT AND NGC MAFIA OPERATION IN 2022 OR AT LEAST MAKING THEM ALL RESIGN

01-01-2022_009.jpg

SENZA,

Many thanks for the kind holiday wishes and likewise to you and yours!

funny-happy-new-year-2020-gif (1).gif
Rich

Ready to Ring in the New Year!

precious.jpg

HERE LITTLE HOBBIT

01-02-2022_004.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Arrows don’t kill hobbits, people do.

a0527dd2b2b4cf666b541a39ad48bde6.jpg
Rich

Mostly, I just shoot to thrill.

shoot to.jpg

Rich,

Talk about shooting, how about Guns ‘n Roses? A wild bunch indeed!

guns-and-roses-guns-and-roses-pop-culture-54170053.jpg
Last edited 12 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm

Along with AC/DC and Ten Years After, one of my all-time favorites!

voldx.jpg
Rich

Totally, Sir Kaiser! Ten Years After is one of the all-time best Rock N Roll bands. And keeping on topic, how about their song “The Hobbit.” And like the tune goes, I May Be Wrong But I Won’t Be Wrong Always…

SENZA

Most excellent choice Sir Kaiser RIP Alvin but I really like the Strat on this one and I hope you will too – as I always suggest TURN IT UP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5DNEpmfvpo

SENZA

Arnold says a waste of Ammo but if you ever ventured into a strip club in the 80’s you just had to love them

01-08-2022_013.jpg

Hells Bells Rich you always say the right thing

01-08-2022_012.jpg
Rich

SENZA, What’s Words Worth?

motorhead.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Gollum should be sure that gold ring isn’t a shady counterfeit from Wuhan.

“It burns, it burns us!”

Gollum_Render.png
Last edited 14 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm

UNTIL NEXT TIME I ONCE AGAIN SALUTE YOU HINT THAT’S ME SIDE STAGE

01-02-2022_006.jpg

SENZA,

Thanks for so fittingly ringing in the New Year with an absolutely explosive rendition of “We Who Are About To Rock”. Needless to say, I salute you too!

13826887b45ef8a346da9cfe1ba3f027.jpg
Last edited 13 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm

Choices

01-02-2022_010.jpg

SENZA,

The intent of this “covert curse” is ironically appropriate, as the actual phrase’s meaning of “Fcuk You Biden” says so much more about its users than it does about the President.

InkedAP21006849368171_LI.jpg