2015 JFK Coin & Chronicles Set Images

by Mike Unser on September 3, 2015 · 29 comments

In about two weeks, the United States Mint will release its third Coin & Chronicle Set of the year, this one featuring John F. Kennedy. This year’s first two sets for Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower sold out within 15 minutes of their release. The third set, well, buyers will line up to get it too.

2015 John F. Kennedy Coin and Chronicles Set

The 2015 John F. Kennedy Coin & Chronicles Set includes a 1964 stamp, reverse proof $1, silver medal, and informational booklet

Its online product page is ready to go. The U.S. Mint this week published images and a full description of the limited-edition set in preparation for its launch on Sept. 16.

To summarize, key product and release details include:

• Price of $57.95, the same as the last two sets.
  • Household ordering limit of 2, the same as the last issue but 3 less than the first one.
  • Product limit of 50,000, up from an earlier announced limit of 25,000 sets. The first two sets each had limits of 17,000.
  • Inclusion of one 2015-P Reverse Proof John F. Kennedy Presidential $1 Coin.
  • Inclusion of one John F. Kennedy Presidential Medal struck in one ounce of .999 fine silver.
  • Inclusion of one John F. Kennedy U.S. postage stamp issued in 1964.
  • Inclusion of one informational booklet with images from Kennedy’s life, military career and presidency.

The reverse proof $1 is exclusive to the set, and the third of its type ever issued within the Presidential $1 Coin series. The U.S. Mint facility in Philadelphia makes the silver medals and reverse proof $1 coins but only the coins have the ‘P’ mint mark.

Photo of Harry S. Truman Presidential Silver Medal

Photo of the Harry S. Truman Presidential Silver Medal from the first 2015-dated Chronicles Set

Photo of 2015-P Reverse Proof Harry S. Truman Presidential $1 Coin

Photo of the 2015-P Reverse Proof Harry S. Truman Presidential $1 Coin, also in the first Chronicles Set

Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Silver Medal

Photo of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Silver Medal from the second 2015-dated Chronicles Set

Photo of 2015-P Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential $1 Coin

Photo of the 2015-P Reverse Proof Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential $1 Coin, also in the second Chronicles Set

Here are larger U.S. Mint images of the JFK set’s reverse proof $1 coin and silver medal:

2015-P Reverse Proof John F. Kennedy Presidential $1 Coin

2015-P Reverse Proof John F. Kennedy Presidential $1 Coin

John F. Kennedy Presidential Silver Medal

John F. Kennedy Presidential Silver Medal. For the reveres, and as described by the U.S. Mint, it features: the inscription “INAUGURATED PRESIDENT” centered at the top of the medal and “JANUARY 20, 1961” centered along the bottom of the medal. Also, included is the Presidential Seal with the burning torches of liberty on each side with the following excerpt from the President’s Inaugural Address: “WE SHALL PAY ANY PRICE, BEAR ANY BURDEN, MEET ANY HARDSHIP, SUPPORT ANY FRIEND, OPPOSE ANY FOE TO ASSURE THE SURVIVAL OF LIBERTY. JOHN F. KENNEDY.”

Joe #2 September 3, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Why should JFK be looking down???? He looks half asleep or in a trance
Can’t the mint get ANYTHING right lately???.

george glazener September 3, 2015 at 12:25 pm

He’s thinking about what’s become of the office of the Presidency since he was there.

Domin8r September 3, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Over the many years of presidential portraits, it eventually became tradition to have the official presidential portrait painted after each president left office. So, after her husband’s death, Jackie Kennedy commissioned Aaron Shikler to paint the official portrait of John F. Kennedy. In an interview that appeared in a People magazine article, Shikler stated that Jackie gave him specific directions on painting her husband’s image.1 According to Shikler, Jackie said, “I don’t want him to look the way everybody else makes him look, with the bags under his eyes and that penetrating gaze. I’m tired of that image.”
So, Shikler started sketching the president’s image, and he finally found inspiration from a photograph of JFK’s brother, Ted, grieving after his brother’s untimely death. In the funeral photograph Ted Kennedy had his head bowed and his arms crossed. Shikler got to work and presented Jackie with a sketch of JFK in a similar pose – with arms crossed and head bowed. Jackie chose this sketch among all other sketches.

I think that Shikler’s painting tells a story. It makes the viewer pause to think. Speaking of the portrait, Shikler said, “All I wanted to portray was a man who looked like he could think.”

Joe #2 September 3, 2015 at 12:37 pm

LoL.. Maybe George. He looks disgusted…

Dave Leavitt September 3, 2015 at 1:02 pm

The portrait is classic and true to form. I’m concerned about the Mint web crashing and losing out on this.

john k September 3, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Maybe he looks that way because 25% of the coins are already being picked over by the big boys..i.e. mint cronies..and we as the little guy collectors are left fighting over the crumbs..get ready for another “unexplainable mint site crash “

Broadwing September 3, 2015 at 4:39 pm

50k, should make for an additional 10 minutes till a sell out so I’d say there all gone by 12:25 pm EDT. I should sell bets on who calls it closest, and give away one of the two sets I just know I’ll be able to get. $1.00 a bet, heck I could pay for my sets that way and still be ahead.

I mean it has nothing to do with coin collecting anymore, the coin doesn’t count, it’s the label that has the extra value from the grading company and that RP-70 grade in that first release new color holder, and it’s how much the flippers will make on E-bay, right? Does anyone remember when this was a real hobby?

I really can’t wait to hear all the moaning from those who wonder why at 12:00 sharp 10,000 collectors hitting the buy button at the same time on the U.S. Mint websites caused it to crash or be slow. Ever heard of a denial of service attack?

Christopher Williams September 3, 2015 at 5:00 pm

There are already “Presale” listings of these on Ebay–What a surprise.

Eddie September 4, 2015 at 9:37 am

Have a question about grading:
If I order 2, the US MINT sends me a single box with both sets inside. Since I only want to send one of them for grading, will PCGS & NGC accept the single set after I opened the original US MINT shipping box?
I am confused, please help.

joera September 4, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I will be one of those 10,000 hitting the buy button at 12:00. But maybe I will have a better chance at it if I wait till 12:02 or 12:03. But according to Mike “SOLD OUT, LIMITED EDITION, EXCLUSIVE ONLY TO US” Mezak, (thanks to Christopher Williams for the “name.” I added the last part cause he says that a lot too.), the Roosevelt sold out in like 90 seconds. lol And he, or they, were able to get around 4,000 sets. He says he could only get 2 at a time on the second market paying 2-4 times the U.S. Mint cost. How much of that do you think is true? I watch that show just to see what he has to says next.

joera September 5, 2015 at 8:09 am

Christopher Williams, I would really like to see your YOU TUBE video about Mike Mezak. Do you have a link or a search I could use to view it. Like I said I never know what “words of expertise or useful information” he has to say next. And there are some times I do hear some facts about the coin world that I follow up on so I can know as much as I can about coin collecting and the hobby. Thank you & I wish you luck on what ever next “BIG EVENT OR SALE” the U.S. Mint has planed for us in the coming months.

Christopher Williams September 5, 2015 at 9:01 am

Joera, the link is below.

It was done years ago and is a bit “crude,” but I think I made my point in it.

RonnieBGood September 5, 2015 at 11:11 am

Hi Eddie,
Instructions for coin submission are posted on both NGC & PCGS websites. Special instructions and links are typically in articles posted by CoinNews.net so watch this site for links for this set (or search for prior set instructions as a reference). Go to NGC or PCGS sites to be certain of a correct submission. They have specific submission instructions and forms that are filled out online.

I would submit both sets for grading as this will increase your chances of getting at least one set with all 69 or 70 grades! If you only submit one set it is rare that you will receive them all in one grade (typically you will get a mixture of 68 to 70 grades). Matched sets have a greater value to collectors that collect “Graded Sets”. Again watch for specific submission instructions (on how to submit & remove coins or leave them in the “original government packaging”). To be sure you have the correct information go to each site to check for instructions. Here is a link to NGC for “Early Release cut-off dates”:

I submit several coins each year (and over the last year I submitted 50 coins for grading).
Hope this is helpful, Ronnie

John O September 5, 2015 at 10:27 pm
KB September 6, 2015 at 10:05 am

Be careful about sending these in for grading! I would open the box and inspect them,The Quality on these coins have been terrible!! If you see anything at all on the coin,spots a scratch any little speck! Probably not worth the grading!

Broadwing September 6, 2015 at 10:21 am

Reply to : Christopher Williams,
Do you get money for hawking that video on you tube? I think I’ve seen you post it more times than I’ve seen complaints about the mints’ website. Just wondering why the obsession with the video? If you get royalty money what not, if not why?

Christopher Williams September 6, 2015 at 10:31 am

To Broadwing:

I get zero monies for my video.

Second, I only posted the link because someone asked me to. I have never voluntarily posted that link to my video that I made five years ago.

I made that video at the time to vent.

I hope that answers your question.

joera September 7, 2015 at 6:23 am

To Broadwing:
I am the one who asked for the link of the YOU TUBE video. If you read all the post here you would know that I did ask for the link. And also that Christopher post a link to the video BECAUSE I ASKED FOR IT. He did mention the video before but only because I also used the name he gave Mike, “sold out, limited edition” and that was the first time I ever read any thing about the video. I don’t read all the post on this site but I do try to read as many as I can. Now, I have read a lot more complaints about the Mint than I have read about any video. A lot more complaints by far, I mean a lot. So much that other people have complain about all the people that have post complaints about the Mint. Now that is a fact & not me just saying that to complain about you thinking Christopher has an obsession about his video. And the thing is I have watched HSN for a while now but I never buy from ANY TV SHOW. But I watch HSN & Mike because it does have some things he says that I could use but I also research what is said and learn from that research. I watch HSN as a base or as a start to look up some of the things said. And I think Mr. Williams’ video is dead on.
To Christopher Williams:
Thank you sir for the link. I watched it & then had my wife watch it also. Let me tell you something SIR….WE LOVED IT !!! You are so right about what is said on that show. Mike is a true sales man not only for HSN but also for CSN.

Broadwing September 7, 2015 at 11:34 am

Hey, no sweat about the video. I was’nt trying to attack anyone just questioning why I had seen it mentioned more than five times on these forums as a topic to go watch by Christopher and it just seemed sort of obsessive like the same people always whining about the mint, unless of course they got their order through then they crow like Rocky winning the Title “Yo Adrian, I did it!”

Just made me curious although I haven’t watched it myself. Not really interested in HSN nor have I been since I started collecting in the 70’s even thought they started later. People sure are sensitive on this site. Excuseeeeee me.

Christopher Williams September 7, 2015 at 11:41 am

Thank you, Joera. Much appreciated.

Christopher Williams September 7, 2015 at 11:41 am

To Broadwing, no problem.

All is good.

Hewhodontknow September 7, 2015 at 9:09 pm

When did this series originally started?

Eddie September 8, 2015 at 11:54 am

Ronnie,
Thanks about the help on coins submittal for grading, I appreciate it.
Still don’t know if they would take my coins for grading if I don’t submit them in original US MINT box, though…

Whistler September 8, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Very nice, I can hardly wait for the mint website to crash while I am on line @ 9am sharp, then watch the horror on HSN sell the coin$ for excessive prives to rip off the public…bu the set in 2 years, it will be like $50

Broadwing September 8, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I can not for the life of me understand all the print that HSN gets on this blog. Many years ago in 1999, in the late night I watched a coin show on HSN, and right away knew it was a rip off with inflated prices and 24 karat gold plated coins.

Being a informed collector I never went back to watch this trash even for entertainment. I must have missed something as it seems many on this blog seem to go to HSN to see what is happening in the coin market?

I don’t know about you but I go to the Greysheet for my info on prices and trends in the coin market. I guess I’m missing some quality entertainment and coin collecting knowledge by not watching?

joera September 8, 2015 at 6:59 pm

You asked a question about it. Like I said I do my research. I do not buy from them. Just like u I know they are over priced & 24k plated is not worth it. It is not quality entertainment but at 2-4 a.m. I’m a channel flipper & well I run into it. I do get a kick out of some of his “sales pitches” and check up on what he says knowing I will find true & useable information else where. You talk about eBay flippers. HSN is a flipper just as much. You say there are a lot of people “whining” but yet you say “I really can’t wait to hear all the moaning.” Kind of the same with me & HSN. “Hate and Like” kind of thing.
But I do see & understand your point and these post should be more about the news of coin collecting. In the 70s there were a lot less places to go, right from your home, to read other people’s thoughts or opinions. Excuse me for my part on this subject. No more HSN or whining from me. I hope you continue having good results with your ordering from the Mint and on your coin collecting experiences as a whole.

Christopher Williams September 8, 2015 at 7:03 pm

I am also into autographs and in the days of past I used to love watching Don West on the overnight shows hawking his junk. But I showed watching his shows on cards, etc.

I also watch HSN Coin Collector because I love watching the coin presentations.

To each his/her own.

I enjoy both hobbies and that’s the bottom line.

I enjoy the input here from everyone.

Domin8r September 8, 2015 at 8:46 pm

To Eddie:
1. Grading adds value, particularly if you want to “RETAIL” sell the coins in the future – meaning selling on eBay, etc. Dealers/buyers may pay a slight premium, but not like eBay buyers and you will be disappointed in any estimates they give you versus eBay.
2. You will have to become a member, meaning, you will have to pay a subscription fee BEFORE sending the coins to grade (+ subsequent grading fees, + shipping, + insurance + the %$%# “PROCESSING FEE”.)
3. ONLY Use PCGS or NGC (here in Sarasota.)
4. If you’re looking to get a “First Strike” (PCGS) or “Early Release” (NGC) designation on the grade, then your coins will have to be submitted before a certain deadline (all of this info is on either of their websites). But they do not have to be in original mint packaging. And there is an additional fee, but some added value (although the ‘real value’ of these designations is debatable).
5. A “70” Grade from either grader above for these types of coins is going to be VERY tough to get. Not impossible, but definitely ‘improbable’. Just look up similar sets online — the VERY FEW “70’s” are commanding a VERY high premium (somewhat indicative of their rarity.)
6. Consider the cost of all of the above which may very well, easily, outweigh the benefits of grading a singe set of coins. Nothing hurts more than the sting of seeing the same coins as your graded coins selling on eBay for significantly less than the time, aggravation and certainly the cost of grading that you invested.
I wish someone would’ve sat me down and let me know these things before I spent a lot of $$$!!
Hope this helps…

Eddie September 9, 2015 at 6:36 am

Domin8r,
Thanks for taking the time to make clear the pros/cons of grading coins.
I think that based on your write up, grading my modern coins may not be for me. All those fancy First Strike, Early Releases do not mean a whole lot, in my opinion….they are just more ways to rip off the average collector like me.

Thanks again,