2015 Dwight D. Eisenhower Coin & Chronicles Set Photos

by Mike Unser on August 14, 2015 · 20 comments

This short article presents a photo overview of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Coin & Chronicles Set with its U.S. postage stamp, silver medal and unique reverse proof Presidential $1 Coin.

Photos of 2015 Dwight D. Eisenhower and Chronicles Set

Photos of 2015 Eisenhower Coin and Chronicles Set

Like the prior issue honoring Harry S. Truman, buyers grabbed all them in just a few minutes. They launched on Tuesday, Aug. 11, at noon Eastern Time. They were gone within 15 minutes.

"A total of 16,820 sets were sold in approximately 15 minutes," Lateefah Simms, public affairs specialist in the Mint’s Office of Corporate Communications, said in an email. "All accepted orders will be processed and fulfilled on a first-in, first-served basis according to existing United States Mint policies."

The U.S. Mint’s online product page for the set still has a "Remind Me" button. It lets customers sign up for an email message should more become available as a result of cancellations or payment issues.

Here are some photos of the set’s product contents — its coin, medal and stamp. Each image may be enlarged with a click.

Photo of 2015-P Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential $1 Coin

Here are photos of the 2015-P Reverse Proof Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential $1 Coin (obverse or heads side and reverse or tails side). The reverse proof Presidential $1 is only the second one issued by the U.S. Mint, with the first one in the 2015 Harry S. Truman Coin and Chronicles Set. Opposite of standard proofs, reverse proof coins have frosty fields and raised mirror-like devices.

Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Silver Medal

Here are two photos of both sides of the one-ounce, .999 fine Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Silver Medal. The medal is a duplicate of the inaugural Eisenhower bronze medal from 1953.

Photo of the Dwight D. Eisenhower 1969 6c postage stamp

Here is a photo of the Dwight D. Eisenhower 1969 6c postage stamp

And now, here are larger photos of the coin and medal.

Photo of 2015-P Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential $1 Coin, Obverse-2

Reverse proof $1 (obverse or heads side)

Photo of 2015-P Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential $1 Coin, Reverse

Reverse proof $1 (reverse or tails side)

Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Silver Medal, Obverse

Silver medal obverse

Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Silver Medal, Reverse

Silver medal reverse

Here are photos of the set’s informational booklet and packaging to include snapshots of the specifications and a certificate of authenticity.

2015 Dwight D. Eisenhower Coin and Chronicles Set

2015 Dwight D. Eisenhower Coin and Chronicles Set

Dwight D. Eisenhower Coin and Chronicles Set Cert

This is a photo of the front and back of the folder, which holds the stamp, reverse proof dollar and silver medal. The U.S. Mint’s Certificate of Authenticity appears on the back.

Dwight D. Eisenhower Coin and Chronicles Set Specifications and booklet

At left is a photo of the back of the sleeve, which holds the folder. It shows coin and medal specifications. At right is the 16-page informational booklet with images from Eisenhower’s life, military career and presidency.

Lastly, here are photos of the Eisenhower bronze medal that the set’s silver medal is based upon.

Dwight D Eisenhower Presidential Bronze Medal, Obverse

Dwight D Eisenhower Presidential Bronze Medal, Obverse

Dwight D Eisenhower Presidential Bronze Medal, Reverse

Dwight D Eisenhower Presidential Bronze Medal, Reverse

Dwight August 14, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Mike, Thank you for posting photos of the 2015 Eisenhower Coin & Chronicles Set. I notice that the reverse of the Eisenhower Medal featuring the Statue of Freedom looks similar to the Statue of Freedom on the U.S. Mint 1989 Bicentennial Congress Commemorative Silver Dollar Obverse.

Christopher Williams August 14, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Thank you for posting those photos, Mike.

Mark August 14, 2015 at 5:20 pm

I was fortunate enough to get 2 of these sets. After I got the order in, I sold one to my nephew at cost. Today they came via ups. One big problem, after opening them up, the first Ike medal at the corner of his mouth has a black spot (looks to be something pressed in by the stamping action) with a 1/4 inch white spot around it. The other set is good. Other than that spot, everything is absolutely nice. Not sure what we should do with that set since their is no more of them. Nephew is working now so we’ll discuss it when he’s off (he’s a new at this). Also many thanks to you Mike on this and your other articles.

Cwestb August 14, 2015 at 8:06 pm

I’m not in to stamps, but am curious if this stamp is original or a reissue for this set. No one seems to say anything about the stamp, only about the coin and medal.

TerryP August 15, 2015 at 7:22 am

Thanks for the pics, Mike. Is anyone planning on getting the silver medal graded in addition to the RP? Thanks.

TerryP August 15, 2015 at 7:24 am

Another question on the stamp….I’m looking to display four separate stamps in a frame and I noticed how the mint is displaying the Eisenhower stamp in this set. Any ideas from any stamp guys on what they’re using or tips to what I might want to consider using for my frame? Thanks..

Dominic August 15, 2015 at 9:57 am

I have 2 2015 Eisenhower C+C sets coming. I am looking to trade 1 to 1 for a 2015 Truman C+C Set. I have offices from Tampa to Ft Myers and one on the Treasure Coast in FL. Exchange would be in person. Email dzx1 at live dot com.

Tinto August 15, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Does anyone know how the Mint gets it customer satisfaction feedback beyond the occasional Naxion emailed “survey” .

SENZA August 16, 2015 at 12:07 am

The US Mint website froze on me and even though I had the coins in my shopping cart I did not get the coins when the website returned to functionality. Later I seen one seller on ebay had sold 144 and claimed to have many more. Then I was watching HSN and their jolly coin collector caffeine Mike said that he manages to get 30% of all of these coins each time their issued by the Mint via his “connections” he is also marking them up as much as $1299.00 or 24 times the original cost. I’m starting to get turned off on coin collecting in a big way :(.

Christopher Williams August 16, 2015 at 6:49 am
Bill August 16, 2015 at 10:30 am

Recorded national coin selling program on Sunday AM 8/16/2015. The seller stated that they bought the Eisenhower sets(400) from the secondary market is BS. Sold from the mint on 8/11 and they got them from the secondary market shipped to them and then shipped to grading company and knows how many were graded a 69 or 70 in 4 DAYS. Let’s capture the shipping. Say after mint has them ready for shipping labeled and shipped it would be at least 3 days. From the secondary market at least 3 more days and graded at best in 1 day. That’s at the very best 7 days and you believe they did it in 4. More like it would take 10 days. So how did they get that many sets. THE MINT is the only way possible. Corrupt just like most of the government agencies. BOYCOTT the company that sells these on TV.

Christopher Williams August 16, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Bill, I DVR’d the HSN Coin Collecting show that aired on 8/16/15 at 2AM EST.

Mike “Sold Out, Limited Edition” Mezack had available over 500 sets of the “2015 Eisenhower Reverse Dollars” in both RP70 and RP69 graded condition.

I believe they had 360 of the RP69 and 173 of the RP70’s.

Mezack claimed he had to get them all on the secondary market.

They first sold on 8/11/2015. On 8/16/2015 on HSN, only five days later, he was already selling over 500 sets in RP69 and RP70 graded condition. And, we have no idea the ones in his possession that didn’t make the RP69 and RP70 grades.

Think about that.

Tinto August 16, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Yeah, this HSN (and his show CSN) guy is to be believed (sarcasm here) … might be he got a little message from his cohorts at the Mint about the stink with the ordering process which seemed to have let some people in but not others … (who they are we don’t know but the Mint should know since there is a trail of logins and transactions, etc.) and possibly Mr. HSN Coin seller spewed a little BS about not being able to log in himself .. just to try to come off like “one of the little guys who got screwed here”

Boz August 17, 2015 at 9:09 am

There may be a way to back door them at he vendor in Memphis, but your average onesie and twozie mom and pop buyer cannot justify flying to Memphis just for that. My earliest availability would have been Saturday 8/15 and there is no way I could have gotten them to a grading service unless I personally hopped on another plane and transported them personally to California.

The situation at hand is definitely an indication of fraud and collusion, maybe not at the mint per se, but definitely at the vendor. You cannot have such trickery though without mint management being aware of it.

Time for the investigators to quit worry about $600 hammers and $1200 toilet seats and examine some things closer to home.

Whistler August 17, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Clearly someone is getting his palmS greased for these shysters to get a large % of the mintage, all it will do is cause people to be PO’d @ coin collecting & dealers when they pay $1k for the IKE set, it will fall in value, as all the “hot” stuff does over time, remember those $400 silver 1999 proof sets, they are like $75 now….wait grasshoppers the price$ will fall eventually, as to the STAMP: It is the IKE commemorative issued after his death. A face value item if you went to a show, mounting with showguard or other mounts should prevent gum damages, please start collecting STAMPS too!!

TerryP August 17, 2015 at 5:46 pm

I got my two sets in today and sent the RP’s off to PCGS for grading. The Eisenhower coin is a lot nicer looking than the Truman, imho. Now we wait and play the grading game……

John August 19, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I received my 2 sets and wanted to send them off to get graded but I noticed that the medals have 5 marks on the face in the exact same locations on both coins. I would like to attach photos for you to see. I assume it’s a problem with the die and more coins have the same issues.
I guess I should not send them in.

Dave August 20, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I received my 2 Eisenhower sets and am looking to trade one for a Truman set – even trade. I’m in Massachusetts – swap in person only.
Email me at Woodenthumb@verizon.net

vadim August 22, 2015 at 8:19 am

John,

I have the same 2 marks on both of my silver medals. The mint must’ve thought the were making bronze medal when they were making silver ones. With such spatial editions quality control must be on its game!

Nugchompa August 25, 2015 at 2:24 pm

I have two sets and my brother has two. We all have at least one mark in the same location on all four reverse proofs (on the reverse in the frosted background to the left of liberty). It looks like the die was messed up and small spots in the frosted area are shiny. Since these went to different households at different times, I imagine there were a lot like that.