FDR Coin and Chronicles Set Sales Debut at 8,074

by Mike Unser on December 30, 2014 · 6 comments

Photo of an opened 2014 FDR Coin and Chronicles Set

Sales of this year’s 2014 Franklin D. Roosevelt Coin & Chronicles Set kicked off much stronger than last year’s 2013 Theodore Roosevelt Coin & Chronicles Set.

FDR sets, which include four stamps, two coins and two medals featuring the 32nd President of the United States, launched on Monday, Dec. 22, for $57.95. Sales by Sunday totaled 8,074 sets, according to the U.S. Mint.

Recommended: See photos of the set’s bronze and silver medals.

In contrast, it took more than 8 weeks for last year’s set of Teddy Roosevelt coins and medals to reach the 8,000 mark. It eventually sold out in August with sales of 15,145.

While priced the same, this year’s set has a bit of an advantage over last year’s release because it includes one more coin and four U.S. postage stamps. Teddy Roosevelt sets had no stamps to entice the philatelic community.

2014 Franklin D. Roosevelt Coin & Chronicles Sets are available from the United States Mint online page found here. Product sales are limited to 20,000.

Kahoola December 30, 2014 at 6:44 pm

The sets are beautiful. The stamps are XF to superb, no fading, no foxing, good color. The silver medal is perfect, large and impressive. The bronze medal has a few contact rubs on some of the high points. The capsules are very tight in the pocket, presumably so they don’t fall out of the folder when you open it. You will be pleased with this one if you get it.

may December 30, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Hello mike
Thank you so much for your informative articles and timely news all the time . Do you know the current sales figures of the 50th anniversary Kennedy coins.

Do medals from the mint as in the f.d.r carry a premium later, since they’re not legal tender

Thanks again

RonnieBGood December 30, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Hello May,
The short answer to your 2nd question would be yes. But the answer you seek is a much more difficult one to predict. I would expect that this set as a whole to be easily sold for $99 after a sell-out is achieved. The other thing going for the set is the value of the silver in the one of the medals. The silver could increase in time and add value to this set and the individual medal at some point in the future. Other similar presidential medals (that I will call death tokens) have increased greatly in value such as for presidents George Washington & Abe Lincoln. They were issued at the time of their passing and have age, rarity and collectability going for them. Happy Collecting!

George Glazener December 31, 2014 at 9:07 am

Ronnie;
what do u think about the Sacagewea C&C set? I messed up & didn’t get any from the US MINT. Do u think it’s a good idea to grab 1 or 2 off eBay before they skyrocket?

Kahoola January 2, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Aloha George, if you go to the Mint website, the C&C set is listed as “OUT OF STOCK” and “LIMITED”, not “sold out”. So maybe there is hope, guess they are waiting for the cancellations and bad credit cards. It might be worthwhile to check up on the Mint website once in a while see if they open sales again.

RonnieBGood January 5, 2015 at 11:14 am

Hi George,
Sorry I took awhile to answer. My oldest daughter (that was married in July this year) had just informed me that I was going to be a Grandpa!

I am sorry that you missed a purchase on this one. I find it almost impossible to purchase a coin/set when it is listed as “Out of Stock”. It is the one aspect of this new ordering system that could use improvement. I liked the waiting list. At least then you knew you were in line to make a purchase (if there were any available).

Now back to the question of the Coin & Currency Set. I am not sure that this set will “Sky-Rocket” in price for 4 reasons. The first is that this series does not have a lot of popularity. From the sales I have seen I put this one right next to the Susan B. Anthony series. The second is the mintage metal. There are “Key” coins in all sets but just because this one is “enhanced” it is still a Clad coin. The third is the mintage, and this set has a 50,000 mintage. Had it been 20,000 or less I would expect there to be greater demand in the secondary market. But with 50,000 there should be more than enough to satisfy the collectors of this set and the ones that want this “enhanced” coin. The fourth is the “enhanced” coins themselves. It has been my experience that it takes magnification to even tell the difference between a normal vs an enhanced minted coin. I expect that this set (with an ordinary dollar bill included) was an end of the year round table discussion on how to “enhance” the Mints Sales & Revenue.

My conclusion George, Don’t lose any sleep over missing this set !