American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Photos, Latest Values

by Mike Unser on November 11, 2011 · 76 comments

Interest continues at a heightened, even frenzied level for the American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set which was released on October 27 and promptly sold out in 4 1/2 hours.

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Photos

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Photos – Larger and More Photos Below

While some collectors assert they will never do business again with the United States Mint due to their deep disappointment surrounding its rollout, those who purchased one or more of the 100,000 sets are enthusiastically glued to their delivery time and soaring values.

To the delight of buyers, the United States Mint started shipping sets this week. They began showing up on buyer’s doorsteps on the morning of Wednesday, November 9, or thirteen days after their launch. At the pace at which they are being delivered, all buyers could have their sets within one to two weeks. (See photos of the set.)

Latest American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Values

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set values are scorching hot. So much so that some collectors who originally purchased one solely for their collection are now considering letting it go. With the profits, some say, a few bills can be paid with money still left over for other coins. On the flip side, many collectors have commented that they will never let theirs go.

The United States Mint sold the American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set for $299.95. After they sold out, prices quickly doubled. The fervor, in part, led to a temporarily hiatus as eBay halted set auctions until sellers had physical possession of the sets. Now that they are shipping, several hundred auction listings are again on eBay. Here are a few samplings of auctions found when searching the site using the keywords: "American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set."

Examples of 25th Anniversary Set Auctions

Three 16 $1,900.00 +$333.38
Five 15 $3,541.00 +$408.25
Five 1 $3,500.00 +$400.05
Five 13 $3,250.00 +$350.05
Five 6 $3,050.00 +$310.05
Five 15 $2,999.99 +$300.05

Auction activity above was a snapshot of several listings on eBay at 9:27 a.m. ET on Friday, November 11.

Only time will tell how long collectors’ attention remain toward the sets and whether the values climb or fall to some degree. Past anniversary sets have held significant premiums, and these latest ones are expected to as well.

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Photos

Photographic details of the sets and Eagles have been scarce given their recent release was just two weeks back. The following are several photos of the sets, including shipping, packaging and the actual coins, including the two unique Eagles that are only found within the anniversary set. Each of the photos may be enlarged with a click.

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Shipping Box

Photo: Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Shipping Box

As seen above, the United States Mint used a long shipping box to accommodate multiple sets to one address. The household limit was five. The box shown has two.

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set - Opened Shipping Box

Photo: Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set - Opened Shipping Box

The sets were stacked by two’s inside this shipping box. The above picture shows the Mint’s outer packaging for the American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set.

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Packaging

Photo: Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Packaging

The first layer of packaging for the set involved a navy blue sleeve with the US Mint’s logo and description in silver print, ‘AMERICAN EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SILVER COIN SET’. Inside the sleeve is a navy blue rectangular outer box with the same United States Mint logo and writing on its top lid. This outer box feels like a specially coated cardboard box and has one unattached side that makes removal of the set much easier.

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Case

Photo: Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Case

As this photo illustrates, within the cardboard box was a highly polished custom-designed lacquered hardwood case, wrapped in a thin white cloth (not shown) to prevent scratches during shipping. The set’s case is 14 ½ inches in length. Again, on top of the lid and writing in silver color is the United States Mint logo and description, ‘AMERICAN EAGLE 25TH ANNIVERSARY SILVER COIN SET.’ A column of seven stars are carved on the left and right edges of the top of the lid.

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set - Opened Case

Photo: American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set - Opened Case

Above is a photo of the inner portion of the hinged hardwood case. The entire case is lined in navy blue felt. Not shown is a single strip of navy blue felt cloth that covered the coins.

The photo showing the opened case reveals the logo for the United States Department of the Treasury in the center of the opened lid. The five American Silver Eagle coins lay inside, perfectly centered on a removable but sturdy navy blue frame.

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set - 5 Coins

Photo: American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set - 5 Coins

Each coin is encapsulated in a clear coin holder for protection and can be removed from the navy blue frame.

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Case and Certificate

Photo: American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Case and Certificate

The United States Mint’s Certificate of Authenticity is found at the bottom of the opened case, underneath the coins. The Certificate of Authenticity is made of a thick cardstock with printing on both sides.

2011 Bullion American Silver Eagle (reverse)

Photo: 2011 Bullion American Silver Eagle (reverse)

The 2011 Silver Eagle bullion coin is the ‘whitest’ coin in the set, and it does not have a mint mark. It is available individually (outside the set) through coin dealers and precious metals providers. The price for one is a bit over the current spot price of silver.

2011-W Proof American Silver Eagle (obverse)

2011-W Proof American Silver Eagle (obverse)

2011-W Proof American Silver Eagle (reverse)

2011-W Proof American Silver Eagle (reverse)

The 2011 Proof Silver Eagle with the ‘W’ mint mark has a finish that is specially designed for collectors.

The carefully sculpted foreground images on both sides of the coin are frosted so that they stand out against the highly polished mirror-like background surface. This type of engraving technique creates a very dramatic cameo effect. This coin may be purchased individually (outside the set) directly from the United States Mint website (www.usmint.gov) for $58.95.

2011-P Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle (obverse)

2011-P Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle (obverse)

2011-P Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle (reverse)

2011-P Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle (reverse)

In the middle is the 2011 Reverse Proof Silver Eagle with the ‘P’ mint mark. This coin is unique to the set and is not sold individually. Its finish is called a reverse proof because the raised foreground image has been given the brilliant and mirror-like finish while the smooth background surface is frosted.

All of these elements are designed to enhance the features of Adolph A. Weinman’s Walking Liberty design.

2011-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle (reverse)

Photo: 2011-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle (reverse)

The other two coins are the uncirculated versions. The United States Mint starts with specially burnished blanks that are hand-loaded into the coining press. The finish on the uncirculated coins is brilliant, with a more soft and matte finish versus the cameo effect on the proof coin.

The mint marks are located on their reverse. As illustrated in the above photo, the ‘W’ mint mark is below the eagle and shield design but above the word FINE. This particular coin may be purchased individually (outside the set) directly from the United States Mint website (www.usmint.gov) for $50.95.

2011-S Uncirculated American Silver Eagle (reverse)

Photo: 2011-S Uncirculated American Silver Eagle (reverse)

The other uncirculated Silver Eagle sports the ‘S’ mint mark. This coin is unique to the set and not sold individually.

Joe November 17, 2011 at 2:02 am

rpw, Call NGC 1-800-642-2646 If I paid a fee it was many years ago. I get coins graded every year from them. NGC will tell you all you need to know.

Victor November 17, 2011 at 11:15 am

My second order of two sets are “out for delivery” right now. 7 days earlier than first estimated by the Mint.

Blue November 17, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I came very close to pulling the trigger and joining NGC to have my sealed set graded. I’m hesitant…Is it really worth the cash and effort? I would really appreciate some input on this matter from you collectors and resellers. Thank You

Joe November 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Blue, check out moderncoinmart.com you will see difference between a NGC 69 set a 70 set and a ungraded set.

Don November 17, 2011 at 7:03 pm

personaly I’m going to enjoy mine in the original government packaging , the way it came from the mint and not worry about grading , sending in for grading and them coming back miss matched grades I mean what’s the chances one set will all be a perfect 70

James November 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Hi,
Anyone had a set of (25) coins graded yet, that can tell me the ratio on grading from NGC.
Say…. 10 of them graded 70’s vs. 15 of them grading 69’s or perhaps very luckily all graded 70’s 🙂

John November 19, 2011 at 3:35 am

All the pictures in the world will never compare to actually holding this set. This set that is the finest thing to come out of the mint since the Lincoln Chronicles. I also love to watch the selling price soar but I will never sell mine.

john evens November 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I’ve been hearing that the bullion coin with no mintmark was struck in Denver if that’s true shouldn’t the Roy’s indicate that on the label like the san Francisco bullion coin?

Mike Unser November 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm

John, the Mint does not produce American Silver Eagles in Denver. There was an article from another outlet some weeks back that mistakenly (and since corrected) indicated some were minted there. All bullion 2011 Silver Eagles are struck in either West Point or San Francisco (the latter just added this year http://www.coinnews.net/2011/05/31/2011-american-silver-eagle-bullion-coins-from-san-francisco/). The bullion Silver Eagle within all anniversary sets originates from San Francisco. Tom Jurowsky, director of the U.S. Mint’s Office of Public Affairs, confirmed that on Nov. 11, according to Coin World’s November 28 issue.

Kahoola November 19, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Aloha all, congratulations to those who were able to get their order in. Some of us in waitlist purgatory are giving up hope. The tv auction site last night had 300 sets, not individual coins, of first day of issue MS 69 ANACAS and several hundred MS 70 sets also on sale. How did they get 500-600 sets with a household limit of 5? And how did they manage to get them graded by the first day of issue? It seems that the rules are not the same for all of us. How do I arrange to get 600 sets for myself?

John November 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Kahoola That is a injustice alot of coin collectors (especially those who did not get a set) complain about. The tv coin sellers are able to get vast quanties of coins leaving the common collector having to pay a huge premium if they could not get through to the mint. The mint should have placed a one per household limit on everyone including dealers. In order to get 500-600 sets the coin dealer had to have a inside track or have 100-120 people order the limit. I know some dealers were offering customers a fee to order for them. How the mint did not see the large demand for this set only shows how out of touch they are with the collectors
I for one would like the mint to try some new ideas like bimetal coins for the collector. There was talk of a NASA set for the planets. To see that set in a affordable bimetal collection would be something alot of people would enjoy over the same worn out quarter idea. For that matter they should have renewed interest in the Kennedy half dollar and put the National Parks on the back. There is a larger pallet for the art and the mint would have honored a great coin that is largly forgotten.

Joe November 19, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Mike Unser: Thanks for the information about the 25th Anniversary Bullion Coin in the set. I asked that question a while back if it was made in San Francisco and no one answered. So I called NGC on 11/14 and they said it was made at West Point. That is why its not on the label. You would think NGC would know everything about the set before they started grading. I’m glad I didn’t get my set graded yet. Other than that a 30th Anniversary Denver Mint reverse proof silver eagle would be great.

synoptic12 November 21, 2011 at 6:06 pm

“First Strike”, is deceiving, in the fact that all coins struck for the year 2011, (American Silver Eagles) are all ‘first strike’, in unison with the year. It really does not matter if the first coin, or last coin, (100,000), struck is given a caption of ‘first strike’, for they are all first strike. There is no way to determine the first boxes off the line, unless someone has prior information regarding this fact, (coin dealers). The tag and numbers would identify the origin , as well as the time. No one is privy to this information, other than the people specified above. This is why, you will only see these so-called ‘first strike’ in no one’s hands , but the dealers, or grading services.. This is a most deceptive aspect coinciding with the label as ‘first strike’, for in reality, all coins produced in 2011 are first strike. Most people are confused by this label, and the variable conditions that exist within. As a matter of fact, the coin dealers were the first to get the news from the U.S. Mint in stating that the new, 2011 Silver Eagle (uncirculated) would be minted in San Francisco, [without the mint mark]. At that time, the coin dealers had no knowledge of the 25th Anniversary Set, about to materialize. Not knowing this, they sealed these coins (uncirculated) with a 25th anniversary label. In a sense, they were entrapped with their own net. When the 25th anniversary set was announced, we believe that the coin dealers had “egg” on their face. More so, that they marked these coins, (uncirculated) “FIRST STRIKE”. Now tell me, if these are considered first strike? In the true sense, yes, but without prior knowledge of the 25th anniversary set. If they had known this, they would purchase such, are truly misled, and have no knowledge.have never marketed these coins as first strike, and more so, 25th anniversary. We truly enjoyed the “smart” people getting a taste of their own medicine.

Douce November 22, 2011 at 8:05 am

Has anyone come up short on their receipt quantity? I ordered 2. Received the box from the mint. It says 2 were shipped but only one in the box. I had to fill out a NRV (non receipt verification) form to the Mint. The box looked un-opened. I was beside myself. I was thinking how is the Mint going to believe me? Per conversation with the Mint, the customer service rep. said they have their ways.
I told her that my set is out there and it’s already paid for. I don’t want a credit.
Seems a little fishy that this is such a popular set and I only had 1 shipped instead of the 2 that were supposed to be shipped.
Anyone have a issue similar to this one?

rpw November 22, 2011 at 5:00 pm

So I sent in my 25th Anniversary Sets for grading yesterday but I’m still very skeptical.
Here’s my issue. First – how do I know that the coins I get back are the coins I actually sent in? Out of 25 coins sent in, I could get back 3 graded as MS70’s. All others as MS or PF69. How would I ever know? Considering the after market price these things could sell for, these grading companies know that there’s almost no way we would ever know if they swapped my coins or graded them unfairly in favor of dealers who submit far more coins than I ever will. That’s a problem.

Furthermore – what if one of my coins (say – the Reverse Proof Coin) happen to be an error coin that could be worth ALOT of money. I would NEVER know if they swapped it for another coin and simply sent me a standard PF70. Of course they would expect that I’d be happy with a PF70 reverse proof. Doesn’t that seem to be a problem with this system? I honestly think these type of coins (sets) should have a serial number or something etched into them so that I know what I get back is exactly what I sent in. Afterall – these coins are collector coins and will never get circulated anyway. How many other collector items are not serialized?
So here’s a question: Has anyone ever sent in an unopened mint coin to a grading agency and received back a coin that was an error coin? I highly doubt it.
When I called one of the grading companies today and posed the question to what would happen if one of my coins happen to be an error coin, they simply told me they would grade the coin and send it back but I would have to resubmit it as an error coin. YEAH. Right! Like I’d ever see that coin!

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
PS – I can only hope there are still some honest people in this world and nonetheless, I am excited to get my coins back even though it cost an additional ~$500.00 to get them graded.

Joe November 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm

rpw I would be very grateful if you got back to us when you recieve your silver eagles. Let us know how they graded. I feel the same way you do. If you don’t mind me asking who did you get your eagles graded by. Good Luck,

Joe

Paul November 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Interesting to read everyones stories and comments that have received their sets. I must have the last delivery date of anyone, I was just informed today my ship date is 12/6/11. The first ship date I had was 11-14, then 11-22, the 11-24, now 12/6. Anyone have a later ship date than that?

rpw November 23, 2011 at 6:53 am

@Joe

NGC. Couldn’t decide which agency was better (based solely on after market prices for their graded products) so I just went with them.

I still think grading is a SCAM but depending on what happens with my coins, I may change my mind. Honestly – I don’t see how one coin is “significantly better” than another assuming there is no visible difference in quality. Some 25th coins are on ebay for a ridiculous price – simply because the slab was signed by the chief designer. BIG DEAL – what does that have to do with the coin????
I think it’s time to “OCCUPY THE US MINT” or “OCCUPY THE GRADING AGENCIES”. I started buying coins solely as a silver/gold investment a few years ago. I think it may have turned into a slight obsession now but I really do like the coins. Even so – the original intent still remains – Wealth accumulation/preservation in light of the economic environment we live in today. Sure I’d love my coins to be worth more but how does one really justify some of these prices? I just don’t get it. Something tells me – the hype of the 25th Sets have peaked for now and will start to go down in price for a while.
Hopefully I’m wrong!!! No matter though. I’ll keep my one set for a long time. (The other 4 are gifts for my siblings). Best Regards and Happy Thanksgiving to All.

James November 23, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I sent my 5 sets off a few days ago. I really have a nauseating feeling about how the Anniversary Sets had to be sent in unopened. My box had a bar code scan, along with what looked like an inspector sticker. After reading several post about the grading services and how they could easily scam the small collector’s like myself, without anyone ever knowing. I agree with RPW and how each coin should be serialized independently. That way we would know that the coins that we send in to have graded would be the one’s we receive back.
This (could be) the biggest money maker for grading services ever, especially not knowing the facts. I believe now that I should have opened the boxes and looked at the (2) Rarer Coins in this set, and to answer his question, “No I Do Not” know of anyone ever receiving an Error Coin back from any Graders.
It’s even more scary that with all of the comments, that the grading services aren’t posting any information regarding these issue’s.
I’m Just Sayin………..

John November 23, 2011 at 7:59 pm

The grading companies are scamming the collector in many ways. Making up grades when they want. Grading coins as they feel like it that day. Its easy for them to keep higher grades for the TV coin dealers. Whats to stop them from promising the coin dealers that they can have one thousand sets of pf 70’s and another thousand sets of pf 69’s? Then as they grade everyones coins they put aside what they had promised the coin dealers and send out the left overs to everyone else. There would be no way of us knowing. We would be paying for it and the coin dealers would be the ones that have the graders doing what they want. How else can the TV coin dealers sell graded sets the same day they are released?
I do not trust the graders and will not play thier game. Pay the extra for graded coins if you want. I’ll keep mine in the raw and enjoy them.

rpw November 24, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I agree James and John. Unfortunately, the only choices we have are send it in or don’t.
My take (wrongly) is this. If I get back MS70 or PF70 on 1 out of 5 of the sets, it was better than not sending it in at all (I think) only because it will have an early release designation. I don’t think that should matter but somehow, collectors have made it matter. I expect nothing less than 69’s but even without seeing them – I don’t see how they could not be 70’s. If I get back anything less – I’ll NEVER use them again for unopened coins. The early release designation just isn’t worth the risk. I am still contemplating sending in my 2009 UHR Double Eagle but I will take some high quality, High Resolution pics of it first before I send it in to document the coin as best I can. Even so – there’s still no guarantee that I’ll get back MY coin. The only way to guarantee that is to have it graded on site – in person. I do agree that there needs to be some way to distinguish a good coin from a great coin but I think this is very subjective. This is my biggest beef with the grading policy: I don’t agree that we should have to send unopened boxes in within 30 days. If there is a postmark on the box, there should be NO TIME LIMIT. That way, I can have them graded in person – where I can physically see my coins as they get graded.
Sending someone my coins and allowing them to do what they want before I see them is a serious problem with this system. I believe the grading companies know this and take advantage of it. It’s the perfect scam. The ONLY way to stop it is for people to stop sending the coins and demand PROOF before sending in their coins. Heck – Maybe I’ll try to put them out of business myself and start my own grading company that offers people PROOF. If nothing else – maybe it will force them to rethink their business and ensure customers are reassured that the coin they sent is the coin they get back. Something to think about! In the meantime – best of luck to all and Happy Turkey Day!

Bubba H December 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Funny how people are worried about sending unopened boxes to grading companies and then send them to them anyway. The reason the system is in place is because people do it. If people would quit doing it, things would change. A lot of people are making money because of grading. What does it really matter if your coin is a 69 or 70? Almost all modern proof coins are either 69 or 70.

Duane December 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Just a comment about the discussion of NGC or PCGS making up higher grade sets with your coins for dealers. I am not a dealer and sent in one 25th Anniversary set I managed to get and just got confirmation that all coins were graded either MS70, PF70 or PF70 UC. I was hoping your discussion was not true. Perhaps this is a positive sign otherwise.

rpw December 7, 2011 at 9:49 pm

@Bubba
You are correct. If people would quit sending them in to be graded, the problem wouldn’t exist. However, people do- so the rest of us are stuck and must follow suit otherwise our coins become “less” valuable simply by default. Buyers look at what they are getting for their money and buy what seems to be most valuable – whatever that may mean.
Unfortunately – it’s a darn if you do darn if you don’t situation. You said “what does it matter if they are 69 versus 70”? Really? Have you looked at the aftermarket prices?
It matters. Sad but true. I don’t like it either and being naturally stubborn, I too, let my stubborn-ness get the best of me in the past. Plain and simple- better safe than sorry.
As I learned as a young child – if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em.
I’m also now learning that there is NO END TO THE MADNESS! Now grading isn’t enough. You have to have a top notch grade AND a signed (by the chief engraver) slab for it to command a higher price. What next? I have no idea and already don’t like it but it’s competition and the free market at work and unfortunately – we all have to live with it. I won’t grade all my coins but I will be selective and have some graded because I have seen the difference it makes. Just my opinion of course.

rpw December 12, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Got my 25th Anniversary Set results today. Overall – Just ok in my opinion. I think they did what they had to do given there were 5 sets (25 coins). There’s no way it should have been anything less given what I’ve seen from all the other posts on these sets.
Results are:

BN = Brown CA = Cameo DPL = Deep Prooflike FB = Full Split Bands
FBL = Full Bell Lines FH = Full Head FT = Full Torch MS = Mint State
PF = Proof PL = Prooflike RB = Red Brown RD = Red
SP = Specimen UC = Ultra Cameo 5FS = Five Full Steps 6FS = Six Full Steps

RPW…

Joe December 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

rpw, 15 seventys out of 25 Silver Eagles and 4 of 5 reverse proofs also 2 San Francisco that’s great. Never got a 67 Silver Eagle. Thanks for sharing that.
Joe