American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Sets started arriving at buyer’s doorsteps Wednesday. The sets, which commemorate the 1986 introduction and resulting anniversary of the series, sold out in under five hours — all 100,000 of them.
Many collectors were none too pleased with the outcome, having spent hours trying to order one themselves only to be turned away by a non-responsive United States Mint online ordering system and busy phone lines. But those who were able to make a purchase through the difficulties are smiling happily. Their Eagle collection is enhanced. There are those who will also resell their set(s) for a very tidy profit.
Anniversary Sets Returning to eBay
25th Anniversary Sets are selling for more than a pretty penny in the secondary market. And with some sellers now able to place their sets on eBay after the company halted auctions late last week, going prices are at least double the Mint’s original $299.95 price. As of this writing, one set is up to $635 with 17 active bidders. Another is up to $691 with 9 bids. The United States Mint placed a per household order limit of five. Some eBay sellers are offering all five of theirs with auction listings above $3,100.
25th Anniversary Sets include:
- One 2011 Bullion American Silver Eagle (released individually on January 3)
- One 2011-W Proof American Silver Eagle (released individually on June 30, now priced at $58.95)
- One 2011-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle (released individually on September 15, now priced at $50.95)
- One 2011-S Uncirculated American Silver Eagle (not sold separately, and not an annually released product)
- One 2011-P Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle (not sold separately, and not an annually released product)
The first three coins, as noted, are annual Mint products and available individually — the bullion coin through various coin dealers and precious metals providers for a bit over the current spot price of silver, and the two collector coins directly from the United States Mint website at http://www.usmint.gov/ or 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). The last two coins are unique to American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Sets.