House Backs Boy Scouts Commemorative Coin with Passage of H.R. 5872

by Mike Unser on May 19, 2008 · 18 comments

Boy Scout coin with approved stampA commemorative Boy Scouts coin just moved closer to becoming reality. On May 15, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 5872, an act "To require the Secretary of the Treasury to mint coins in commemoration of the centennial of the Boy Scouts of America, and for other purposes."

They did so with strong bipartisan support similar to their very recent passage of the palladium Saint-Gaudens double eagle coin legislation. Although 8 Democrats voted against the bill, they were easily overwhelmed with the support of 215 Democrats and 186 Republicans.

Legislation must now pass in the Senate and then get signed by the President to become law.

H.R. 5872 is officially entitled the Boy Scouts of America Centennial Commemorative Coin Act and calls for 350,000 silver $1 coins to be minted in 2010. The collector coin would contain 90% silver and 10% copper.

Rep Pete Sessions [R-TX] introduced the bill in April and said at the time,

“Boy Scouts are a significant part of American culture, shaping the values, citizenship, and skills of millions of young men,” Sessions stated. “As an Eagle Scout with four generations of Boy Scouts in my family, I strongly value the Boy Scouts’ history of instilling a sense of duty to God, country, and self.”

Will H.R. 5872 become law? In the 110th Congress, 248 members of the House of Representative and the Senate have participated in Boy Scouts of America as Scouts or adult leaders. That along with its nearly unanimous "yes" vote in the House is extremely promising.

To be fair, there are dissenters. It’s not about commemorating the Boy Scouts of America, but for the section in the bill that would mandate a $10 surcharge for the sale of each coin for the National Boy Scouts of America Foundation.

For a perspective of the argument, visit the Dissident Voice article, Congress’s $3.5 million “Bake Sale” for the Boy Scouts.

Recent CoinNews reader comments for Boy Scout of America Centennial coin

CoinNews readers have shown strong support for the coin as well. Check out some of their recent comments.

• Fred Goodwin says:

I’m not a coin collector, but I am a Scout volunteer, and I think this is a wonderful way to celebrate 100 years of the Boy Scouts of America. Rep. Sessions is also sponsoring a letter to the Postal Service asking them to issue a 100th Anniversary of BSA commemorative stamp.

2010 will certainly be a special year for the Boy Scouts of America!

• Dave Wegmann says:

Well said, Ted. With only 350,000 minted, and millions of Scouters nationwide, this is sure to be a popular issuance.

• Philip Velez says:

As a professional Scouter I am ecstatic to hear about the minted coin. The idea of a commemorative stamp is also a great idea too. 100 years strong and many more years to come!

• M. J. Faust says:

I can hardly wait until the sale begins. Hopefully I will be one of the lucky 350,000. As a Scouter, I look forward to purchasing this peace of history. I am also eager to purchase the commemorative stamps–to save for the future and to place on mail to show support for this great organization.

• Warren D. Monroe says:

Being quite involved in Scouting and not a collector, nor having any idea how the distribution would go, how would one purchase these coins. They would be great gifts for scouts achieving the rank of Eagle.

• Corinna Woods says:

I have been a scouting volunteer for twenty one years and cannot wait for our one hundredth anniversary!!! It is wonderful for congress to recognize such an outstanding organization for our youth!!!

Kudos to Congress and our wonderful volunteers!!

• ALBERT E. CAHILL says:

I hope I can obtain 5 – one for each of the Eagles in our Family,
    my two brothers and I – and my two sons!

Editor’s note: H.R. 5872 is now law. Both the House and Senate passed the legislation and President Bush signed it into law (Public Law No: 110-363) October 8, 2008.

Fred Goodwin May 19, 2008 at 3:35 pm

I am looking forward to buying a couple of these commemorative coins. I’m not a coin collector, but as a Boy Scout volunteer, I know the Centennial is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and this coin will help me remember the occasion.

Bilbo Baggins May 29, 2008 at 9:40 am

From the sale of the coin, Tax money, my money, your money going to an institution that will not allow me, an Atheist into their ranks, nor do they allow Gay’s, I would have to say this is not a good thing.
I was a Boy Scout, and they will not have me anymore.

Separation of Federal dollars going towards an organization that outright discriminates and is religious based is always needed.

They have the right to discriminate, but not the right to use my money to do so.

Kyle Carter May 29, 2008 at 6:16 pm

The boy scouts of America is a private organization that is based on a Christian point of view. They discriminate against Homosexuals, and Atheists. They are a private organization so I am not mad about that, but this Scout coin is a government mandated fund raiser for an organization that discriminates against the said people. This is wrong. This is the United States government funding bigotry. That is why I will not buy this coin, and I will do all I can to get it off the market.

Thank you, and good day.

Dean Ertel June 6, 2008 at 3:37 pm

I don’t beleive 350,000 coins will come close to filling the demand. There has been over 115,000,000 youth who have gone through this program since 1910. The present annual registration of youth members runs about 5,000,000 each year with many millions more alumni sitting in the shadows. Just a thought.

James Rader June 11, 2008 at 3:04 am

If you read the bill as it is written the government by law requires that all costs involved in producing, packaging, shipping, etc of this coin along with the $10 surcharge are to be passed on to the purchaser.

The concern of the government somehow rewarding an one hundred year old organization that has done more in the way of free service to our fellow citizens regardless of race, creed or orientation because it is the right thing to do just simply amazes me. If those who feel discriminated against by the likes of 6 to 18 year old boys and volunteer adults would step up and serve their fellow man as often as they yell about discrimination, our world would be a much better place.

As for the BSA being a Christian organization, I would refer you to the fact that the BSA recognizes over 30 different religions as qualifying as belief in a god.

I personally would like to thank every member of the House that voted yes to this coin. My only concern is with only 350,000 coins they may become hard to obtain considering the number of current and former members.

JODIE JORDAN June 18, 2008 at 1:36 pm

HOORAY!! IT’S ABOUT TIME WE HONOR BOYS WHO DO NOTHING BUT HELP THEIR COMMUNITY AND OUR NATION. WE’VE BECOME AN “IT’S ALL ABOUT ME” NATION. MOST THINK THEY DON’T HAVE TO GIVE BACK, ONLY TAKE. THESE YOUNG MEN MEAN NO HARM TO ANYONE, I KNOW THIS FIRST HAND. MY SON WILL BE AN EAGLE SCOUT THIS FALL AND I HAVE VOLUNTEERED FOR THE PAST 8 YEARS IN HIS CUB SCOUT PACK AND THE BOY SCOUT TROOP. THEY TRUELY AIM TO SERVE AND HAVE LEARNED TO BE DECENT, HONEST, HARD WORKING YOUNG MEN. SO LEAVE THEM AND THE ORGANIZATION ALONE. IT WORKS!!!! AND IF YOU DON’T LIKE THE ORGANIZATION, DON’T SUPPORT US, WE’LL MAKE OUT JUST FINE. AND BY ALL MEANS DON’T BUY THE COIN, THAT WAY THERE WILL BE PLENTY TO GO AROUND FOR THOSE YOUNG MEN AND THE MEN BEFORE THEM THAT IT HONORS.

Kyle June 18, 2008 at 3:12 pm

…You boy scouts discriminate against me, and people like me. Its not that simple not supporting you (I have been doing that). The problem is that the united state does other things for them as well. These things are simple, but they show that the united states is supporting bigotry. As a human being I will not stand for this hypocrisy. Look at your organization you are bigots. The population of the boy scouts is predominately christian. The boy scouts will not allow atheists in their organization (I am ok with that as long as the government has nothing to do with them).

Let me say I respect the boy scouts for teaching honesty, loyalty, and similar values because they are important, but they wont do it for people like me? Am I not a human being just as you? I am not saying bring down the boy scouts I am simply saying that I will not let any money go to an organization that discriminates against anyone (including ones that discriminates against christians.

James Rader June 19, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Kyle
Everyday the United States supports financially and in other ways organizations and entities that I find to be appalling and discriminatory. Planned Parent hood is a good example, without government funds this organization could not keep their doors open. What exactly is it that money is paying for? Well they do some good things however the fact they support and in some places arrange and perform abortions is absolutely discrimination. Why is an unborn human have any less right to life than does yourself or any other person? This bigotry is far worse than anything you have mentioned about the boy scouts, this is the denial of life itself and is paid for by me as a tax payer even though I don’t like it.

The Boy Scouts of America has specific rules in place to join their organization. These are not new rules, or rules changed to fit a new agenda. These rules where developed with the ideals of what the founders of the BSA seen as core pieces in the development of a young man. If in fact the BSA is primarily Christian it isn’t by design but because the population of the US is primarily Christian…

With all that is wrong in the world, why is it the Atheist’s and Homosexual activists find attacking the likes of the BSA instead of putting their hands and feet in motion to help make this world a better place? Tearing down every entity or person that has a different belief or opinion does not accomplish anything but creating more strife and disharmony in our world. I find it rather bigoted considering the hatred and lack of tolerance for my beliefs and for the rules of the organization that I have poured my self into for the good of others.

These coins celebrate the positive accomplishments of an organization that has spent millions of hours in service to others with no regard to their economic background, race, creed, color, or religion. All the work that scout troops I have been involved have put into public parks and forests over the past 100 years would have gone undone had it not been for the willing smile of a scout and his able and willing hands volunteering. I would be amazed if you have never enjoyed the results of a service project done by a scout… and they did that service even for you.

Please don’t discriminate and harass me or the organization I belong to because of my beliefs, I would hate for you to be labeled a bigot or hypocrite.

Kyle June 19, 2008 at 9:50 pm

I realize that, but saying there are other organizations that discriminate out there does not justify this in any way. By choosing the lesser of two evils you are saying you are the lesser of two evils

I understand that, and respect that. I am upset the government is helping to fund them. Thats a given, but its hard to deine that that does not create some bias within the organization.

I am even more outspoken, and active on a number of issues other than this one. Also I am not attacking them I am attacking this piece of legislation that is funding them! You seem to misunderstand. I respect christians, and other religious groups (though I have no belief in a god). I am in no way saying get rid of the BSA. I am simply saying funding them is wrong.

So its ok that they discriminate against me because they have done some community service? That makes no sense to me.

Yet again you have it all wrong. I am not in any way attacking you or the BSA for they beliefs in any way what so ever. I am saying that you receiving funding when you discriminate against me? is wrong.

Let me say that I am a hardcore libertarian. I in so way saying get rid of the BSA. I am saying I will not allow funding to go to the BSA that the government has helped raised.

Also if you want to get down to it you believing what you believe is bigotris toward me as a homosexual. I have read you bible twice (I was once a christian), and it is quite offensive, but I still support your right to believe what you want. Just as I support the KKK to believe what they want (I do not agree with the KKK at all though), but I , and many christians will be damned before they get government funding.

Yet again let me emphasize that I support the right for you, and the BSA to practice any form of religion.

joxter July 4, 2008 at 2:35 am

Government funds for a private club that is religious in origin and discriminates? Just say NO!

Poster child September 26, 2008 at 2:59 pm

You are not kicked out of Planned Parent Hood for being Atheist or gay. Do you see the difference? While both organizations receive federal funding, Planned Parent hood can’t discriminate based on religion (or lack of religion). I love boy scouts!

Kyle September 26, 2008 at 3:26 pm

So one organization doesn’t do means the other doesn’t as well? Please think before you post.

Alan October 15, 2008 at 3:45 pm

“While both organizations receive federal funding”. They do?

The last I check BSA received no federal grants (free money).

It would be awesome if the “federal” government gave the Boy Scouts of America even 1% of the $305 Million of FREE money given to planned parenthood EVERY YEAR.

Why is planned parenthood getting so much free money?

Kyle October 15, 2008 at 4:02 pm

This coin funds them. Also they are allowed to use federal buildings free of charge.

Well Planned parenthood for one doesn’t discriminate against people. They preform a service for people (whether you agree with the service or not…which I will not say where I stand so we can stay on topic). Really Planned parenthood has absolutely nothing to do with the BSA or the issues behind the coin. I have no idea why it was brought up.

Alan October 15, 2008 at 4:50 pm

This coin will represent about 1% of their funding that comes from the private sector. That is not a real stability federal source of funding.

$350M represents nearly 50% of the funding that supports Planned Parenthood and the half million dollar executives salaries.

True Planned Parenthood will not say no if a gay couple wants to have an abortion which is unlikely; however, Sanger and Planned Parenthood promote the idea of “race hygiene” as outlined in the founding documents of the organization. However, those around her wanted her to promote lethal chambers to gas the children of the unfit, but she herself rejected the idea completely.

The issue of Planned Parenthood was made in reference to the misinformed comment that BSA receives direct tax dollar support that pays for nearly 50% of their funding which is completely untrue and the revenue from these coins will reach about 1% of their funding in the year 2010 and nothing more unlike the ANNUAL support by our federal government of half the operations of Planned Parenthood.

Back to this coin the government needs to seriously consider increasing this mint as 350,000 does not even represent the half the number of kids in just one level of Scouting.

Kyle October 16, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Planned parenthood has nothing to do with BSA. It is only distracting from the main issue that we are discussing. That issue is that the BSA is getting funding from the Government. Equality, and freedom is what out government is supposed to protect. So why are they funding them at all? As I have said I do not care if they boy scouts let people like me in because they are a private organization; but when they receive government funding, no matter how small, I have find that wrong. I am not anti-BSA I am only advocating that the government stop funding the BSA.
Now Planned parenthood has its problems, but whether or not it has funding has little to do with the BSA. If there are equality issues there then I say stop funding them as well.

Alan October 20, 2008 at 1:39 pm

So providing the funds for over 50% of the operational support of planned parenthood that does not allow a child the right to enter this World is better then prohibiting adult leaders that are gay and providing 1% support to Boy Scouts?

What is the real comparison?

Funding as you put it has everything to do with this conversation.

Our government is suppose to protect us from all enemies foreign and domestic not to jump to any one person.

I do not support the actions of Planned Parenthood in denying the right of a living being. However, if we really look at the benefits that both of these organizations provide to the Community then we can argue back and forth on what funding should be provided to each of them.

Also the government is not giving the Boy Scouts a single penny! They are making a coin that they will sell and make a profit and a portion of that sale will go the Boy Scouts. Those purchasing the coin will clearly know this fact – unlike the direct use of my tax dollar to support an organization that does not give equal rights to a human being.

However, I would not expect the government to stop funding Planned Parenthood as others see them as nondiscriminatory just like people see Boy Scouts of America the same way.

Doug December 19, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Kyle,

The BSA is not a Christian organization. It is not based on a Christian point of view though its point of view has much in common with Christianity. It is inclusive to most all major religions who believe in God. They even include Zoroastrian!! This fact is trivial to verify with a simple web search!!

If you wish to be informed, I would also encourage you to research the history of Boy Scouts and the fundamental tenets of it’s founder.

Now none of the above will make you any happier. Perhaps the following.

Here is what I suspect…

The US Mint is probably in business to make money. They make coins and sell them to help pay for, perhaps AIDS research–who knows where the money goes–there are plenty of rat holes in DC.

OK, the BS Logo is a registered trademark so Uncle is just paying for the right to use it.

Does that make you feel any better? Probably not.