U.S. Air Force 2.5 Ounce Silver Medal Sales Begin July 13

U.S. Mint images Air Force Silver Medal - obverse and reverse
U.S. Mint product images of the U.S. Air Force 2.5 Ounce Silver Medal

The United States Mint announced a new on-sale date of Tuesday, July 13 for the Air Force 2.5 Ounce Silver Medal.

The collectible product, the first of five from the U.S. Mint’s Armed Forces Silver Medal Program, has seen its scheduled release postponed more than once. The Mint initiated the most recent delay to test system improvements that are expected to provide a better user experience while ordering products that sell out quickly. It also noted they will not have enough medals to meet demand.

"We are working diligently to put that solution in place, as it will enable our website to function more smoothly. Even this robust effort to improve product access remains limited by demand, which continues to outpace our supply of silver blanks. As a result, not everyone will be able to purchase this medal," the Mint said in part.

Struck to a large diameter of 2 inches and priced at $160, the Air Force Silver Medal has a mintage of 10,000 units and a household order limit of 1.

It will be available beginning the 13th at noon EDT from the Mint’s online catalog of silver medals.

Bronze and 1-ounce silver versions of this medal will also be available at later, yet-to-be-announced dates.

Notify of
guest
13 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Kaiser Wilhelm

It will be sold out by 12:01P.M. on Tuesday, July 13. Thanks for playing along; isn’t it fun?

4jbna23wp5e31.jpg
Last edited 1 month ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm

Of course there is always the possibility that anybody not working for, owning shares of, or otherwise connected to Lockheed-Martin doesn’t give a hoot about this F-35 medal.

20t9q2.jpg
Last edited 30 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm

Oops. It’s been brought to my attention that said aircraft, the F-35 Lightning, is not the one depicted on the Air Force Medal; that would instead be the F-22 Raptor.

450px-F-22_Raptor_edit1_(cropped).jpg
Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Big T

I don’t know, while a lot of their commemorative coins have sold out – the WWII coins, the Mayflower, etc., this is actually a medal – and they haven’t been so hard to get. I have decided not to purchase anymore ‘medals’ – although I did like the liberty 2019 2oz silver medal – because their value will never exceed – never – the spot price of silver. So it’s a 75 to 80 dollar coin for 160 – I’d rather buy the ASEs and of course the 2021 Morgan / Peace dollars – now THOSE will sell out in… Read more »

Big T

correction, 75 to 80 dollar ‘medal’, again this is not a coin folks.

Rooster

There were many reasons that I bought the 2019 medal. It helped that it was 99.95 each. There are many reasons I will make an attempt at this medal also. I will be getting the Morgans, ASE, and hopefully the Peace dollar.

Big T

Looks like you are in luck – they didn’t sell out! Good luck to you – I am definitely buying the Morgans, ASEs and the Peace… wishing you success and peace.

Rooster

Thanks Big T. Same to you. Not sure if I am going to order any ASEs since I am good on my subscriptions. Those others though, definitely.

Kaiser Wilhelm

I’m with you, Big T, in going for the three different ASEs (via Enrollments), the Morgans and the Peace, with the latter two dependent on how well I’m able to negotiate the web traffic on their Release Days.

Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm

I feel any coin or medal is worth buying from the Mint, Rooster, based on you wanting to add it to your collection and not on how much it will be worth.

Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm

If it’s worth the effort it’s worth the money, and actually vice versa also.

2950113.jpg
Last edited 14 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm

Which is to say, Big T, that those Medals may not be worth more than the spot price of silver if any of us individual collectors ever try to sell them to a dealer, but in a transaction from dealer to collector there will most certainly be a premium added to the sale price, whether a significant one or not. What this boils down to is that no matter how you cut it, if one is only buying a Medal for collecting and not for re-selling then the Mint remains the best source to acquire it from.

Last edited 15 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Kaiser Wilhelm

Whatever coins you buy on the re-sale market will often cost you dearly.

hqdefault.jpg