William Henry Harrison Presidential Silver Medal Released

The United States Mint this week released their first numismatic product of the month, the William Henry Harrison Presidential Silver Medal.

Mint product images William Henry Harrison Presidential Silver Medal
U.S. Mint product images for the William Henry Harrison Presidential Silver Medal

This medal is composed of 1 troy ounce of 99.9 percent fine silver with a total weight of 31.103 grams. The 1.598 inches medal offers a portrait of the ninth President of the United States on its obverse (heads side) with a wreath design and factual inscriptions on its reverse (tails side).

William Henry Harrison spent his life moving in and out of politics and military affairs. One of his most famous military encounters was the 1811 Battle of Tippecanoe against Tecumseh’s confederacy where he earned the nickname “Old Tippecanoe”. His name and associated fame would serve him well later in life as he won the U.S. Presidency in 1840 campaigning under the slogan of "Tippecanoe and Tyler, Too" with running mate John Tyler. His Presidency would be short-lived, however, as he became ill and died after only 31 days in office making him the shortest serving President.

Presidential Medal Program

The William Henry Harrison Silver Medal marks the fourth year for the program from the United States Mint which produces them as precious medal replicas of their Presidential bronze medals. Earlier released silver medals honor George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren.

CoinNews photo James Madison Presidential Silver Medal
A CoinNews photo of an earlier released James Madison Presidential Silver Medal

Each of them are struck on the same planchets used for American Silver Eagles. However, unlike the Silver Eagles which have a reeded edge, the medals have a plain edge. The medals have no mintmark and may be produced at different U.S. Mint facilities. They feature a matte finish which is similar in appearance to that of an uncirculated coin.

William Henry Harrison Medal Designs & Specifications

The obverse of each new medal offers a left-facing portrait of the ninth U.S. President circled by a pearled ring as created by former United States Mint Engraver George T. Morgan.

William Henry Harrison Presidential Bronze Medal - Obverse
The U.S. Mint also strikes Presidential bronze medals. This CoinNews photo shows the obverse of a William Henry Harrison Bronze Medal. This is the same design as on the obverse of the William Henry Harrison Presidential Silver Medal.

The portrait is flanked by the inscription of WILLIAM H. on the left and HARRISON on the right.

William Henry Harrison Presidential Bronze Medal - Reverse
This photo is of the same bronze medal but with its reverse shown. The design also appears on the new silver medal’s reverse.

For the reverse design, we find a laurel wreath within a pearled ring with inscriptions of INAUGURATED PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES MARCH 4, 1841. DIED APRIL 4, 1841.

Presidential Silver Medal Specifications

Denomination: N/A
Finish: Matte
Composition: 99.9% Silver
Weight: 31.103 grams
Diameter: 1.598 inches
Edge: Plain
Mint: N/A
Mint Mark: None
Obverse Designer/Engraver: George T. Morgan
Reverse Designer/Engraver: George T. Morgan

Price and Ordering

The William Henry Harrison Silver Medals may be purchased directly from the U.S. Mint via its online store page dedicated to silver medals. Pricing is $65.

Each medal is encapsulated and ships in a display case with a Certificate of Authenticity.

Notify of
guest
37 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Seth Riesling

Unlimited mintage, no Mint mark & $65 for $27 worth of silver – such a deal!! Lol.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

My “favorites” in this regard are the Mint’s 3 ounce bronze medals that now sell for $160 each. The going rate for bronze is roughly $4 an ounce, so what we’ve got with those medals is $12 worth of bronze being sold for $160. Now that’s chutzpah!

Jake

Yeah now that is ridiculously overpriced. Someone here mentioned them before the price increase and I got some that I liked. Even the smaller medals jumped to 20 bucks

Kaiser Wilhelm

A lot of this year’s Mint price increases are sizable, but the 3 oz medal one is extreme. Do you think they did that with the intent of killing the program?

Jake

I have the whole collection so far lol I would say, it’s never a loss, unless you sell for less than what you paid. This hobby was over priced when I started. Has there ever been something that wasnt overpriced from the Mint?

Kaiser Wilhelm

Anyone who is into coin collecting as a money-making proposition might well be in the wrong business. Coins are wonderful to have and to look at, but when it comes to selling them it’s a rather different story. It’s helpful to bear in mind that anyone who would want to buy your collection is clearly looking to enhance their own financial position and not to present you with a generous windfall. Might it not be wiser to continue enjoying the coins you own and just forget about those clearly tempting but rather unrealistic visions of dollars dancing in your head?

Jake

There is money to be made in just about everything. I don’t plan on selling my hobby away that’s why it doesn’t bother me what I pay for what I want and continue to collect. Whoever gets to sell it can let that price bother them, and my collection isn’t for sale lol I only have real numbers dancing in my head.

Kaiser Wilhelm

That’s the only way to collect without having any fears and/or concerns.

Jake

Coins came Saturday

20210508_214334.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

As often heard whenever Sophia Loren walked by, nice set!

Kaiser Wilhelm

This is one of the many reasons I have always loved coin collecting…I learn things. Clearly it’s not impossible to go through life and somehow forget that one of our Presidents served for only one month; it took the dates on the reverse of this medal to remind me of that.

sam tweedy

Hurry Hurry get your Chucky Schumer coin Fugugly for sure!!!! lol Just needs some specs!!!

Kaiser Wilhelm

You peeked my interest, and this is what I was able to come up with. An apparently veteran swindler by the name of Avram Freedberg and his privately-owned “National Collectors Mint” have bilked the American public to the tune of $22,000,000 by selling allegedly charity-intended (but in fact with entirely duplicitous motives instead) completely fake 9/11 medals that are at most worth 25 cents and which have been going for $29.95 each, and to top it all off he has been pocketing all the cash himself with no donations whatsoever going to anyone!

national-collectors-911.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Getting old shows, as “peeked my interest” is meant to be “piqued my interest.”

Clockwork Squirrel

That’s the, uh, “peak” comment of the thread!

English, the language, she almost as bad for homophones as the French – where a mangling of “pantoufles en vair” into “pantoufles en verre” has condemned Cinderella to spend centuries in slippers made of glass … instead of fur.

Kaiser Wilhelm

The poor girl…hers can’t ever be depicted as being ruby red, nor does she get to wear a peaked hat of any hue (hew to the line) (Hugh O’Brian) (Baby Huey) (Hewlett Packard) (Houston, TX) (Hyou better be good, hyou better not cry, hyou better watch out…). The beat goes on.

Mark D.

Either way, why didn’t the slippers revert to base material along with every other Fairy Godmother-supplied upgrade? It’s what we writers call, “The Cinderella Syndrome,” — distract the reader sufficiently and one can get away with anything. Raider of the Lost Ark, as a cinematic example: Indy and the gang had absolutely no effect on how the story would ultimately finish. A bunch of dead Nazis (yay!) and warehoused ark. Still a great flic/fun yarn though.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Apparently Cindy had a time insurance policy on the slippers, and from the happy outcome I’d say it was worth every penny.
Re: dead Nazis; it’s always been my feeling the more the merrier.

Kaiser Wilhelm

While I was in the process of unearthing the facts on that counterfeit medal I happened to come across yet another similarly unbelievable abomination. It is so far beyond normal comprehension that I absolutely feel compelled to let it speak for itself. By the way, the White House Gift Shop had the unmitigated gall to charge $250 for this rather pathetic piece of propaganda, this “Donald J. Trump and Kim Jong-Un Medallion”!

f-coin-a-20180523-870x687.jpg
Mark D.

Does this represent the moment before or after their passionate kiss?

Kaiser Wilhelm

I can’t speak to that specifically, but according to very reliable sources they were definitely in the process of taking their relationship to the next level.

The Boys.jpg
Jim Longacre

This medal was engraved by Morgan to fill a hole in the series of Presidential medals which were mostly copies of the Indian Peace medals. Harrison didn’t live long enough to have an Indian Peace medal so Morgan engraved this much later.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Thanks for that vital bit of info, Jim. This illumination alone encouraged me to explore further regarding the nature and purpose of Presidential Peace Medals. I subsequently discovered that they played a very significant role within the established transactional format of pre-twentieth century Native American-European settler colonial politics.

s808_b.jpg
Seth Riesling

The Native American Indians got Peace Medals from the USA government & the USA government got their good land & put them on “cheap” land reservations – such a deal. Sad!

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

I didn’t include that particular aspect in my observation regarding those medals since occasionally I try to keep my ethical inclinations and sensibilities somewhat separate from my numismatic interests, but of course you are absolutely right, Seth. As you pointed out, the pathetic quid pro quo in place at that time was a matter of bestowing cheaply-made Peace Medals upon Indian Chiefs in exchange for the continuing withdrawal of the Native American People’s from huge swaths of their territory, one of the most underhanded foul “deals” in the long history of land grabs.

Jim Longacre

In some cases yes, but the American peace medal series was a continuation of what happened under the British, with the portrait of George III on it. And they were not cheaply-made, the full facilities of the US Mint were used.

Last edited 4 months ago by Jim Longacre
Seth Riesling

And those Native American Peace medals are very highly valued when they do come up for sale at auctions for sure.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

I can only imagine that the provenance of them having been either possessed and/or actually worn by a Native American dignitary would contribute to a rather appreciable enhancement of their sale price.

Kaiser Wilhelm

I thought for sure that during my research I had come across a description of them as having been made of thin sheets of inscribed silver (for the obverse and reverse) attached to a solid wood core. Perhaps I completely misread that or I somehow got that medal mixed up with another so that this manner of assembly would have referred to something else. Anyway, this explains my previous statement about them having been “cheaply made.” I do however clearly remember the sentiment expressed by the Native Americans that whenever they received one of these medals from the British trust… Read more »

Mark D.

So you’re saying American destiny WASN’T manifest?! Does that mean it’s not manifest going forward?! Whitey says, “Gulp.”

Kaiser Wilhelm

“The manifest for the next wagon train headin’ out west says we got fifty bundles of smallpox infested blankets loaded up. You know what a really big tribe we’re deliverin’ them to; you sure that’ll be enough?”

Mark D.

Clearly an error coin/medal. Notice how whitey’s fingers aren’t crossed.

Last edited 4 months ago by Mark D.
Kaiser Wilhelm

I also noticed that the White Man gets to hold the peace pipe while the Native American is stuck with the tomahawk. Nothing subtle about that.

sam tweedy

Chucky Schumer coin grab them while you can!!! Time now for that nap, all you “Old Ladies”…..

Kaiser Wilhelm

Sam, are you in fact here referring to the National Purple Heart Honor Mission Commemorative Coin Act of 2019 or does this have to do with a different coin issue?

Dennis Boudreau

I do plan on getting this since I have the other 8. Im not worried about them being over priced since im going to keep them for myself. I buy what I like. If it’s too high in price and I don’t need it ill pass on it. Like I just finished the complete commemorative half dollars and silver dollars with the national law enforcement coins. So im not planning on selling the set anytime soon. Im not spending a lot on the set to go and sell it and make Peanuts for what I paid for it.

Kaiser Wilhelm

It warms the cockles of my heart to read about yet another person having such a sane and sober attitude toward coin collecting; I always hope that there are many more out there. This is exactly what the hobby needs, folks who plan to keep their coins and as such plan their collecting by choosing what to acquire rather than by thinking of what to divest. By the way, congrats on getting complete assortments of both of those sets!