NGC Certifies 40 Million Coins

by on March 2, 2018 · 26 comments

NGCNumismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) has become the first third-party coin grading service to grade more than 40,000,000 coins.

NGC has been the industry leader for a number of years. It became the first third-party grading service to reach 20,000,000 coins graded (in 2010), the first to reach 25,000,000 coins graded (in 2012), the first to reach 30,000,000 coins graded (in 2014) and the first to reach 35,000,000 coins graded (in 2016).

International growth has been a major force behind these recent milestones. NGC now has international offices in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Munich as well as 13 Official Submission Centers around the world. In April, NGC will open its fourth international office in London.

Coins are graded full time at NGC’s 60,000-square-foot headquarters in Sarasota, Florida, USA, and at its 15,000-square-foot facility in Shanghai. In March, NGC will begin to offer periodic on-site grading in Munich.

NGC’s growth has also been propelled by its leadership position in the fields of modern coins, world coins, ancient coins, and tokens and medals, among others.

While the company’s locations and submissions have changed since it was founded in 1987, its philosophy and strategy have largely remained the same. For more than 30 years, NGC has delivered accurate and consistent grading with the highest level of integrity. Its grading is backed by the comprehensive NGC Guarantee of authenticity and grade – the strongest in the industry.

Every coin certified by NGC is encapsulated in its state-of-the-art holder, the same holder used by the Smithsonian Institution to preserve its most important rarities. The superior protection of the NGC holder, coupled with its expert and impartial grading and guarantee, has helped NGC to stand out year after year.

"It is a great honor – and a great responsibility – to have been entrusted by countless collectors and dealers around the world to grade their treasured coins and collections," says Mark Salzberg, NGC Chairman.

"We do not take this responsibility lightly and, as we grow, we continue to adhere to our founding fundamentals of accuracy, consistency and integrity."

The 40,000,000 coins that NGC has graded comprise some of the world’s greatest rarities, including:

• the finest 1787 Brasher Doubloon, graded NGC MS 63, which realized $4,582,500 at an auction in 2014;

• three 1913 Liberty Head Nickels, including an NGC PF 64 specimen that realized $3,737,500 at an auction in 2010;

• seven 1804 Dollars, including an NGC PF 62 example that sold for $3,737,500 in 2008;

• three of the four known Confederate Half Dollars, including the Eric P. Newman specimen, graded NGC PF 40, which sold for $960,000 in 2017;

• a Chinese 1992 Compass 1 Kilogram Gold 2000 Yuan, graded NGC PF 69 Ultra Cameo, that realized $1,290,000 at an auction in 2011;

• a Chinese 1911 Long Whisker Dragon Pattern Gold Dollar, graded NGC SP 63+, that is one of China’s most valuable coins;

• a rare 1344 English "Double Leopard," graded NGC MS 62, that is believed to be the most valuable English coin; and,

• a Korean Year 3 (1909) Gold 20 Won, graded NGC MS 64, that sold for $632,500 in 2011.

Learn more about NGC, its services and its benefits at (global site), (China), (Hong Kong) and (Europe).

Seth Riesling March 2, 2018 at 1:21 pm

PCGS continues to dominate the coin slab market in terms of premiums for its graded coins. In 2016, the latest total figures we have, the top 20 coins by dollar amount sold at public auction were all holdered in PCGS slabs. NGC plays second fiddle.

jim March 2, 2018 at 3:54 pm

35,000,000 coins in one year (2016)! Gotta wonder what kind of quality control over the graders they have – and how many graders to handle so many coins. Especially when there seems to be so little difference between a 69 and a 70 grade and from what I’ve heard they don’t tell you why your coin got the lower grade. Not sure if I want to trust this group.

Gary Lomax March 2, 2018 at 4:07 pm

No Jim, its 35 million total by 2016, 40 million total lifetime by 2018. So they are grading about 2.5 million a year.

Mouse March 2, 2018 at 4:18 pm

From my understanding, coins are graded at a 5x magnification and those that grade are highly skilled individuals. I have both, PCGS and NGC slabbed coins, great for insurance purposes.

I always remember what I have been taught, you buy the coin not the label or the slab.

I am a fan of both companies.

Robert F Hall March 2, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Anacs is what I use.

Seth Riesling March 2, 2018 at 6:51 pm

Mouse –

I prefer PCGS for a few reasons (but purchase NGC sometimes if the coin & price looks right!). PCGS started in 1986 the whole industry of third-party authenticating/grading with the coins in sonically-sealed holders with a guarantee of grade & authenticity for life as long as slab is not tampered with. All other grading services copied them. ANACS at first didn’t have holders, just photo certificates for like 20 years & didn’t guarantee grade & authenticity for life Also, PCGS is the only third-party numismatic grader/authenticator that is a publicly owned stock corporation with full public disclosure of its finances/operations under USA SEC stock exchange rules/regulations/Federal laws. NGC & all others are privately owned companies & don’t release any info. they don’t want to (they are not held to the higher standards of business practices required by public owned stock corporations by the USA government). Also, the same coin in the same grade in a PCGS holder will almost always bring a premium (small or large) over a NGC slabbed exactly similar coin in the USA numismatic marketplace. Just my opinion/observations/experiences in this matter since 1976 (when ANACS was the only third-party service in the world with limitations as described above ).
Also, NGC says a 70 grade shows no visible imperfections with a 5x magnifier, but I have seen numerous NGC 70 grade slabbed coins where there are imperfections I can see without a magnifier! (Including tiny breaks in the cameo frosting on some NGC Proof 70 graded coins in have seen in person).

Mouse March 2, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Seth – Thanks for the info – i think im gonna stick with PCGS – am a fan of full disclosure, shows professionalism and the highest standards.

Old Collector March 3, 2018 at 1:39 am

Mouse & Seth,
Just my humble opinion, but I think it does make a big difference whether or not a company is publicly owned or privately held. In my long career in the various aspects of the logistics industry I have had occasions and opportunities to work for both kinds of businesses. From what I have observed by doing so, I am more than aware of the fact that some of the shadier and more underhanded behind-the-scenes practices and shenanigans that management can get away with at privately – and most especially family – owned businesses would never pass muster at a publicly held corporation. The total lack of transparency and/or accountability allows privately owned companies to get away with literally whatever they want to as long as they keep themselves on the good side of the IRA and OSHA; other than that they have no reportable responsibilities and no one to be held accountable by.

Adam March 3, 2018 at 6:26 am

I have only graded 2 coins personally that i submitted at a show for the special labels. But if you want your Chinese coins graded i believe NGC is the only company doing that. I got one PF70 1oz silver Chinese show panda and 2017 1oz platinum eagle came back PF69. But i got the 20th anniversary early release at least. I like NGC because of the price and since i am a ANA member i can submit directly. But PCGS especially Platinum eagles deffinely sell at a premium i think because population report is lower. And some say artificially so buy giving large submitters more 70’s the just someone who submit here and there. Although i dont know just heard smaller coin dealers complain at ANA Denver show. Haha.

Seth Riesling March 3, 2018 at 8:14 am

Adam –

PCGS grades all USA & foreign & ancient coins, plus all tokens, medals & paper money too. They have a club membership too you can join to submit numismatic items directly.
Sounds like you got two nice coin show items for sure!

Happy collecting Adam!

Mouse March 3, 2018 at 8:17 am

Adam – you are right on the money. Both NGC and PCGS grade large sums of coins annually. I am sure some of the big players submit mint strapped / unopened – labeled monster boxes for submission / and by doing so ensure they receive a plentiful supply of MS 70 coins to bring to market for a high premium on resale. Us small guys do not have that ability, so we roll the dice on each submission. Hugh premium / price difference between MS 69 and 70 for some coins.

Would be nice to attend a coin show in person to have coins graded and to inform the grader that if the coin is not a MS 70 – don’t slab it – unless its something special.

Seth Riesling March 3, 2018 at 8:48 am

Both PCGS & NGC charge much higher prices at coin shows to submit coins you want back before the show is over. But, if you have the money & want a “special” show label, go for it!

Old Collector March 3, 2018 at 9:55 am

Wow, I, just received a rather comprehensive and helpfully informative mini-tutorial on the ins and outs and the do’s and don’ts of how and where to best get coins graded and slabbed. Many thanks, guys!

Old Collector March 3, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Seth Riesling and Mouse,

Do collectors of slabbed coins see and/or realize a tangible premium value in a special label beyond what the slabbed coin itself is worth worth according to its third party grading? Just curious.

Seth Riesling March 3, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Old Collector –

In my experiences & observations, “special”/”gimmick”/”kitsch” coin slab labels do not bring a premium when you go to sell to a coin dealer. But, if you find a collector who likes the label & needs it for their collection to have all the same type labels for uniformity, then you can get a small premium usually – maybe $5 to $10 extra per slabbed coin if you are lucky. You know how picky some collectors are! lol

jim March 3, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Gary Lomax –
Thanks for the 35,000,000/2016 clarification. Maybe I just read the article too quickly or that particular distinction didn’t jump out at me.

After all the comments so far nobody seems to care that the graders don’t point out the flaws that lower their coin’s rating. I don’t slab my coins nor do I buy slabbed coins so most of this discussion is irrelevant to me anyway. I have heard in the past and Seth has reiterated that PCGS is more dependable in their ratings than anybody else is so if I were to buy or ask for a coin to be graded PCGS would be my grader of choice.

Old Collector March 3, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Seth Riesling,

Many thanks for the illumination/explanation/clarification regarding specialty labels on slabbed coins; very informative replies like yours are always much appreciated.. Since I, like “jim” immediately above here, don’t have any occasion to deal with slabbed coins myself, this particular area of coin collecting is all quite unfamiliar territory for me. Furthermore, I maintain no opinion either way regarding the relative wisdom of slabbing or not slabbing coins; as with all other things that depend entirely on personal preference, and as far as I’m concerned this is just another each to her/his own type of issue.

Seth Riesling March 4, 2018 at 8:45 am

Old Collector –

The counterfeit coin market in the USA is scary to put it mildly! (mostly from highly deceptive, high-quality counterfeit coins made in China of a wide variety of U S. Mint “old, classic” & “new, modern” coins). Counterfeit coins made in China especially have become rampant in the past 10 years (they have always existed of course, but not in the large quantities seen now). The top third-party certification services offer a service where they do not grade the coin, but authenticate it as “Genuine” on the label & slab it as such at a lower fee since they don’t have to have 3 coin graders & 1
grade finalizer decide a grade for the coin. This is a great “peace of mind” service, especially since it is illegal to own counterfeits of U.S. Mint coins in the USA.
The Chinese counterfeit factories even copy “cheap” coins like the ASE $1 silver coins in Proof & bullion versions. Even some experienced coin dealers have been deceived at first glance. I highly recommend this type of authentication service on any coins you did not get directly from the U.S. Mint. I realize it is an extra cost, but if you ever have to sell a collection or your heirs decide to sell it, they will get a little more for each coin since the buyer doesn’t have to take the legal risk of getting a counterfeit that they are supposed to turn over to the U.S. Secret Service under Federal law. (Only museums & educational non-profits are able to keep collections of counterfeit coins in the U.S. for research & teaching purposes). Good luck!

Old Collector March 4, 2018 at 10:53 am

Seth Riesling,

Once again, sincere thanks for all the invaluable information; after all, it’s almost impossible to put a price on that sort of useful enlightenment.
I had some inkling regarding the ongoing problem with Chinese counterfeits, but I most certainly had no idea of the true extent of the problem; it seems that those scoundrels are covering virtually all of the bases when it comes to their counterfeiting skullduggery! That they are engaged, and apparently on an unbelievably pervasive scale and so widely successfully in the making of both bullion and collector-grade coinage is troubling indeed, to put it mildly.
The fact that the third-party certification companies will provide the service of authentication, and without the higher expense of grading at that, is news to me, and it’s definitely a big plus to know that.
As of yet I have made no purchases of coins other than directly from the U.S. Mint, so it appears that up to this point I can rest easy as to the authenticity of the coins in my collection. If you happened to catch one of my previous posts you will have learned that the first – now long gone – of my collections consisted almost entirely of coins accumulated over the period of my eighteen years in Europe from 1947-1965, a large part of which had been contributed to via the efforts and resources of my Austrian grandfather and my Czech grandmother, which is to say, a period long before the rise of the now ubiquitous Chinese counterfeiting enterprises.

Ron March 4, 2018 at 1:38 pm

I agree 100% with what Seth Riesling has said here, ever since the NGC Black Core Slab, they said that would ONLY be a limited edition, and ONLY serve just the American Silver Eagle coin and one or two others, N G C (the G standing for GREEDY instead of their Truth or Quality) Lied to the coin collecting world on that !!! Now I can go on & on about the real Lie’s and and Poor Quality within the NGC corp. But I will list list just a few here.Now I have and cannot sell NGC graded coins here due to spots and marks on some of my graded NGC coins, that are graded MS70 & PF70 I HAVE THE PROOF IN PICTURES FOR ANYONE TO SEE !!! And one big odd happening with NGC and the coin dealer in FL. known as MCM – Modern Coin Mart. The two go way back, and they really LIED and RIPPED OFF the world collectors on this one. I had called MCM last year (2017) and asked about if they had any of the 2016 Congradulation Set coins in the NGC slab in the PF70 grade,well they answered me back like NO and with a answer like we do not care at all about that UN-Known (attitude of that coin is what type of answer I got back) on that 2016 coin. They flat out did not care to talk or answer me any thing about that coin,well a few short months later, he is MCM coins, selling the 2016 Congradulations Set coins on ebay and their site with a very Large Mark up !!! it is funny to me how NGC and MCM, got a hold of the OGP for that coin, and inserted a new Proof Silver Eagle back into that package, and all of a sudden MCM was selling that coin, that just a few months before had no concern or information on that coin.Those two GREEDY company’s made a nice size profit and lied to the coin collector’s out there !! I could on and on about the UN-truthful dealings both MCM and NGC has done to make fast and easy money from people who really do not know what happens in the day to day operations with them, more with NGC I would say then MCM, when it comes to NGC deceiving the trust of collectors of fair and honest workmanship. WHO REALLY DOUBLE CHECKS NGC’S GRADING AND ALL THAT GOES ON WITH THAT COMPANY ? Just had to let the people know what I know and have heard from other people about the operations of coin grading by NGC !!!

Old Collector March 4, 2018 at 4:23 pm

Speaking of which (or speak of the devil, if that’s more applicable here), the from-the-get-go extremely specious so-called “article” up at the very beginning/top, the one that so emphatically goes on and on to herald NGC’s claims to an whole series of singularly glorious milestones and other spectacular achievements over the years – that is to say, the item that served to initiate this particular thread to begin with – is in point of fact nothing whatsoever of the sort. If that isn’t instead plainly and simply no more nor less an extremely-poorly-disguised blatant NGC company ADVERTISEMENT then I don’t know what it is!

Joe Brown March 5, 2018 at 11:42 am

labeling all begin! To stop >fraudBS< that go,s with it.

Joe Brown March 5, 2018 at 11:50 am

Now there the frauds>BSSUCKERS<.

Joe Brown March 6, 2018 at 1:20 am

I should say this much ! Label co. , beside counter fit coins, they are helpful for coins that bring a higher payout, if your not quite sure what grade the coin is, but appears to be of a high grade, which doesn’t mean a grade of 70, for instance! Walking Liberty 1/2$, with the lowest mint*state & proof*grade of 60 & a good high grade of 67, ms, & 68, proof, makes coins world apart price wise, but you can agree on a raw coin that you know is of high grade, and they know its that high grade and get that high grade price, without being graded. Label co. are good for error & type coin, among a few other things. I’m not against coin grading company’s for those matter at all! Its pretty much* the price for labels for what they say!, its a waste of money, its the grade not the label! But i* do like labels, but they all should be same price, unless its hand signed, by someone that’s worth the extra price! That*s *Hand*Signed with a bic*.

Old Collector March 6, 2018 at 11:27 am

Joe Brown,

Great analysis. You pretty much covered all the bases on this one, not to mention providing food for further thought regarding the whole issue.

Old Collector March 7, 2018 at 8:25 pm