2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin Pricing Schedule

by Mike Unser on March 3, 2017 · 33 comments

2017-W $100 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin, Obverse, Edge and Obverse

Images of the obverse, edge and reverse of the 1792-2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin

United States Mint pricing has been announced for the upcoming 2017-W $100 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin. The .9999 fine 24-karat gold coin was unveiled in January as a part of a yearlong celebration for the U.S. Mint’s 225th anniversary.

Struck with a proof finish at the West Point Mint, the one-ounce gold piece launches at noon ET on April 6, 2017. It is the first in a biennial series of gold coins that will feature designs depicting an allegorical Liberty in a variety of contemporary forms to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States.

The coin’s pricing information was revealed in a document dated Feb. 27 and published Mar. 3 in the Federal Register, the official source of notices by government agencies and a daily journal of their proceedings.

Pricing Schedule for 2017-W $100 American Liberty 225th Anniversary High Relief Gold Coin

Gold’s Weekly Average Price
$1,400.00 to $1,449.99 $1,840.00
$1,450.00 to $1,499.99 $1,890.00
$1,500.00 to $1,549.99 $1,940.00
$1,550.00 to $1,599.99 $1,990.00
$1,600.00 to $1,649.99 $2,040.00
$1,650.00 to $1,699.99 $2,090.00

Similar to other numismatic gold coins from the U.S. Mint, the prices can vary weekly depending upon the latest average of LBMA gold. The Mint evaluates gold prices every Wednesday and modifies coin prices as necessary.

Danny Morano March 3, 2017 at 7:39 am

Anyway you look at it, this coin is going to cost anywhere from $1,550.00 to possibly $1,700.00. To rich for my blood. Especially with the variety of other gold coins out there. Unless the price of gold and this coin take a serious nose dive by the the time it goes on sale, I’ll pass and just buy the Silver medal version.
If they mint 100,000, there’s going to be alot of meltdowns. And, I wouldn’t be in any hurry to buy one because they’ll be available for a long time to come like the Standing ànd Walking Liberty’s which I believe are still plentiful to a degree. The Silver versions will sell out though.
DrWho7

Danny Morano March 3, 2017 at 7:57 am

I think that except for a few coins, 2017 will be a bust for the mint. Sales of certain coins already have shown that. Mint 5oz.eagles and 1oz. Gold Morgan and Peace Dollars. If not this year, next year. I know the Apollo 11 coins will be a big hit. Who says you have to wait for an anniversary year to mint a special coin? Just mint them!
DrWho7

KCSO March 3, 2017 at 7:58 am

Pricing range of $1,640 to $1,740 come early April

KCSO March 3, 2017 at 8:54 am

Fractional Proof Buffaloes and if we get a Proof Pallidium 1 oz coin later in the year will save the mint.

That’s what I’m saving my $$$ for, regardless of mintages or sales, I so hope we see the Proof Pallidium and 4 coin sets of Fractional Buffs!

Johnny March 3, 2017 at 9:13 am

Ugly coin… if enough people think so maybe the mintage will be low

Seth Riesling March 3, 2017 at 10:35 am

PCGS had a survey on its website last month asking if collectors will be purchasing this gold coin & nearly 70 percent said “No”. With such a high mintage of 100,000 coins, they will never sell out IMHO.The Mint still has many 2016 Centennial gold quarters & gold half dollars from last year that are still available & they are smaller & much less expensive but were supposed to be the hottest thing in 2016 but did not sell out. This coin is the second in the American Liberty high relief $100 gold coin series (the 2015 version was a Caucasian Lady Liberty) & the Mint & CCAC was looking at designs for this year way back then to continue this series with a coin every two years with a different ethnicity represented.
I liked this design from the beginning & will be purchasing one for my collection.

-NumisDudeTX

KCSO March 3, 2017 at 10:47 am

Seth – I’ve read else where that the coin displays three levels of frosting or finishes per O & R, you’ve see it in person, can you clarify?

I’m not seeing it on the utube video – thanks

Seth Riesling March 3, 2017 at 12:19 pm

KCSO –

First off, there is some confusion about “business strike” versus Proof on this gold coin (the 2015 high relief “sister” of this coin was not a Proof coin & the Mint wrongly used the term “business strike”(which in proper numismatic terminology means struck for circulation with no special treatments or finishes on the coin or blank planchets) but this coin is a Proof strike in my opinion (the Mint has a problem with its terminology the past 3 years it seems!) Re: it is struck more than once on polished planchets & they used laser treatments to the dies to impart at least 3 levels of finishes or cameo frosting & the rim is sharp like on Proof strikes. They did not have a color map of the levels at the event, but to me looking at it I saw light, medium & heavy finishes or frosting. The inscriptions are light, the hair & clothing around the neck is medium & the face, neck is heavy cameo. The eagle is heavy cameo & due to the 3 layers of feathers on the horizontal (even though the eagle is pointing downward a bit) & each vertical feather when turned in the light appeared to have different levels of frosting, but that is just the room lighting effect as I saw heavy cameo on the eagle.
The coin has the raised inscription “225th ANNIVERSARY” with stars 3 times around the edge.
The coin will come with a hardbound booklet about the coin.
Two of the coins were on display last month at the Long Beach coin show at the Mint’s sales booth on the bourse floor.

-NumisDudeTX

Robert F Hall March 3, 2017 at 12:30 pm

I’ll just wait for the silver version to come out

KCSO March 3, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Thanks Seth, greatly appreciate the detail.

Looks like I’ll be out $1,690 come April on the feathers.

Gary Lomax March 3, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Disgustingly ugly coin. An insult to Lady Liberty and our Founding Fathers. So glad Obama and his criminal regime are gone.

Seth Riesling March 3, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Gary Lomax –

Don’t blame Obama on this issue. He is the first president in modern history to not have his own nominated & Senate approved US Mint Director even though he nominated two people during his two terms (one female businesswoman in charge of Jaguar luxury car company & one former male Marine from the US Small Business Administration). But Congress wouldn’t work with him in either 4-year term basically. The largest Mint in the world has been without a Director for over 6 years now! The Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee started this coin series in 2015 & got the Mint to agree on it along with the Commission of Fine Arts members. They hold meetings accessible to the public & you should contact them when they start discussing such a new coin or medal & give your opinions & feedback. They are unpaid, special US Government employees, so they work for you as a taxpayer.
Under the US Constitution it is the US Congress that has all power over coinage issues, not the president. These “special” gold coins issued in the past few years (other than official commemorative $5 gold coins) only require the permission of the US Secretary of the Treasury. So complain to Jacob J. Lew, who left office after inauguration who approved this one. The new Secretary, Steve Mnuchin is the one to complain to now if you don’t like a US Mint proposed product.

-NumisDudeTX

Mike Unser (CoinNews.net) March 3, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Whenever we’ve asked, Mint officials have always given us diagrams of a coin’s polishing and laser treatments. I’m hoping that by next week we’ll have one to publish for the anniversary coin.

Dustyroads March 3, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Mike, That would be awesome. Here’s to hoping you get that.

michael March 3, 2017 at 3:26 pm

When this coin was reported in the non-coin press, there were many positive comments stating they would buy one (and some asking why they would buy a $100 coin for $1600 and can they spend it). We’ll see if there is true interest for outside coin collectors.

Txcoin March 4, 2017 at 2:14 am

Not worth it why even talk about it

lonnie March 4, 2017 at 8:29 am

this is one ugly coin!! hope the fractional buffalo’s are available soon. what is up the the mint and only showing a small portion of the release schedule of coins?

Sturgeon March 4, 2017 at 8:44 am

Such an angry scowl on her face——Must have seen what the cost would likely be

Munzen March 4, 2017 at 11:20 am

Seth –
Thank you for your measured response to Gary Lomax. I was prepared to be (much) more pointed, then thought better of it. Meeting prejudice with calmness is a far better approach.

Mike March 4, 2017 at 11:42 am

Say gold spot is $1250.00 . You mark the coin up 20% , the mint sells out, all 100,000 units. The mints gross profit $25 MILLION. That’s a nice margin. Volume. Let’s see how many they sell at 35%+ margin and compare the bottom line??

Christopher Williams March 5, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Seth-

I just wanted to write that I, for one, appreciate your informative posts here. I am primarily a sports autograph collector, but I truly enjoy coins and I learn a ton from the members here.

Mike-

A big “Thank you” to you for this website.

Seth Riesling March 5, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Christopher Williams & Munzen & KCSO –

Thank you for your kind words. I.enjoy sharing & learning on this forum about numismatics & have learned a few new things myself here & hope I never stop learning.

Christopher Williams-

Funny you should mention sports autographs, as I got an email today that Gatorade company has some unique hand- signed sports jerseys (1 each for some players) & a Serena Williams hand-signed tennis ball they are giving away when you collect points on Gatorade products (they even have a new protein bar & gummy nutrients bar in addition to all their regular drink products). I don’t know too much about sports, but I used to collect limited-edition serially numbered prepaid phone cards & have a few Southwestern Bell cards hand-signed by Steve Musial that I got directly from the company as a member of their collector club back in the 1990s from St. Louis.

Happy collecting everyone !

-NumisDudeTX

Mouse March 6, 2017 at 7:10 pm

As a Canadian I am a fan of a true melting pot and mint that will represent all that is beautiful about our country’s. I am definitely going to purchase one of these beautiful coins for my collection. Another gem to sit next to my American Buffalo’s.

Mouse

Art March 8, 2017 at 10:03 am

What a beautiful coin! if you think its ugly don’t buy it. Less buy better for me. Cant wait to get my hands on two.

Christopher Williams March 11, 2017 at 6:59 pm

The release date isn’t until April 6, 2017 and yet an Ebay seller already has multiples listed on Ebay.

paul chiu March 31, 2017 at 5:03 pm

The first high relief 1oz gold coin was the 2009 $20 Gold Double-Eagle with 115K+ made, then in 2015, the 1oz $100 gold American liberty printed 49K.
The upcoming 225th US Mint Anniversary will print 100K. I wonder if the investing outlook will be similar to the first two.

Anyone?

Kim April 1, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Can’t wait to get mine . I see the low self esteem racists are out in force with their derogatory comments. Poor snowflakes.

Brad April 3, 2017 at 5:29 am

Prejudice in and of itself is not a bad thing……i am “prejudice” when it comes to certain makes of automobiles, etc. Racism is another conept and no good can be found in that! Intensified “political correctness” to deny racism can reach a point where we are denying human nature itself…..taking an iconic figure and using it to promote a sense of “equality” through a “schocking” portrayal such as this coin is no different than deciding to portray Santa Claus as African American. In doing so, the creator of such things is sending a message…..not necessarily a bad message, but does raise the question as to whether the “medium of delivery” (classic coinage in this case) is correct…..In this case I think it is a mistake and smacks of too much “correctness and commericalism.”

SHL April 3, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Too high of premium for the proof and uncirculated coins which don’t even sell out.
I will not be buying anymore coins from mint unless they lower the premium.

lonnie April 3, 2017 at 10:33 pm

this is one ugly coin!

Md jave April 18, 2017 at 5:00 am

I bought three of them and price went up $50 already, beautiful coin and box

Kate May 19, 2017 at 7:46 pm

What a pretty coin! I am not a coin collector and only found this discussion because I saw a mention of the Lady Liberty series on social media. Maybe this series will be the start of my collection. I’d love to see these printed as dollar coins for circulation.

Lisa May 27, 2017 at 6:31 am

I just received mine. I purchased for $1640.00. I think it’s a nice coin, but in my eyes all 24k looks good. I hope I can at least make my money back down the road. Great articles. Thanks