Muhammad Ali Commemorative Coin Act Introduced

by CoinNews.net on January 20, 2017 · 19 comments

Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali in 1967. (World Journal Tribune photo by Ira Rosenberg)

U.S. lawmakers recently introduced legislation calling for 2020-dated coins in commemoration of Muhammad Ali, the legendary boxer, advocate and philanthropist.

The Muhammad Ali Commemorative Coin Act, numbered H.R.579 in the House and S.166 in the Senate, seeks up to 100,000 $5 gold coins in 90% gold and up to 350,000 silver dollars in at least 90% silver.

Their designs would be emblematic of the life and legacy of Muhammad Ali. The Treasury Secretary would select them from a collection of design candidates after consulting the Muhammad Ali Center and hearing from the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. The United States Mint would then produce them in collector qualities of proof and uncirculated to specifications used for modern commemorative coins.

Common practice inside commemorative legislation is to include surcharges. The two bills direct amounts of $35 for every $5 gold coin sold and $10 for each silver dollar sold. Provided the U.S. Mint recovers their costs in making them, the collected surcharges would benefit several institutions working to preserve and promote Ali’s legacy, including the Muhammad Ali Center, the Muhammad Ali Institute for Peace and Justice at the University of Louisville, and the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center (MAPC) and Movement Disorder Clinic.

Rep. John Yarmuth introduced H.R.579 on Jan. 13, 2017 while Sen. Orrin Hatch introduced S.166 on Jan. 17, 2017. For either bill to become law, one of them must pass in both the House and Senate and get signed by the President.

captainrich January 20, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Let me guess, the coins will be domed in the shape of a boxing glove…

Danny Morano January 20, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I met Cassius Clay and Donald Trump at the 1992 Super Bowl in Minneapolis. Had a picture of the 3 of us taken together and got their autographs on a $2.00 bill I had gotten eariler.
I watched the inauguration and afterwards got an email from MCM. The announced the presale
Of the 65mm, 1000 Franc, Donald Trump Proof Inaugural coin from Equatorial New Guinea, minted by Meyer in Germany using Smart Minting Technology. I got a NGC PF70 for $199.99. They have PF69 an ungraded that come in the clear holder box wit coin between two sheets of plastic for $99.95. They also have 65mm gold versions for 3 to 4 thousand in same grades. Limit minted for silver is 5000.
I was Proud to watch the inauguration and Proud to get the first monetized version coin of our 45th president. Order quick, their all selling fast.
Gov.Mint also carries them. God Bless America.
DrWho7

Richard January 20, 2017 at 3:43 pm

There is no such country as “Equatorial New Guinea.” There is a New Guinea, and an Equatorial Guinea. Probably this “coin” is from the latter, a tiny nation corrupt with oil money and run by a murderous president. His best feature is that he is not as insanely homicidal as the first president, his uncle, who was finally shot by his own troops. Somehow it seems appropriate that a ruined hellhole like this should mint the first coin for The Duck.

Mike January 21, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Ali’s only bad bump was he refused to enter the draft.

joera January 22, 2017 at 2:12 am

I hope they come up with a good coin for this. If they use his image I really hope it looks like him and not something that just kind of looks like him.

captainrich
That’s a good one. Or maybe a dome with an eye that is swollen shut. lol

Danny Morano January 22, 2017 at 5:52 am

This coward should never be honored on a US legal tender coin or any silver medal of any kind. But, yes I did meet hin, shook his hand, got his autograph and had a picture taken with him. ENOUGH SAID.

one fine dime January 22, 2017 at 8:01 pm
Danny Morano January 23, 2017 at 7:38 am

Ahh, one fine slime finally takes a break from flipping burgers or was finished at the welfare office to rear his Raceist head. It’s an established fact Cassius Clay was a draft dodger while your link says “was President Trump a draft dodger”. Big difference between an established fact and speculative words. I’ll have my burger well done with extra pickles By the way, did you ever serve your country in the Military?

one fine dime January 23, 2017 at 8:37 am

keep reading Breitbart and the like, and your brain might just shrink to the size of a raisin Danny.

Danny Morano January 23, 2017 at 9:15 am

One person’s comment reflecting the words of a coward. You can keep sending all you want but none will change my opinion of him.
Didn’t answer my question, ever serve in the military? I proudly served for 24yrs as a Navy Medic, mostly with the Marines. It’s people like me and countless that give you the freedoms you selfishly take for granted. And, many gave their lives or we’re horribly wounded for you to enjoy the life you do today. As for my brain shrinking to the size of yours, it will never happen, not in a million years.Mr. No More Dead White Presidents on our coins and currency.

Danny Morano January 23, 2017 at 9:19 am

I see you hide your name unlike me. Afraid somebody might find out who you are ?

one fine dime January 23, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Yep, I’m one of the 99% of Americans between the age of 18 and 65 that is not in the military. Thank you for your Navy service Danny. I don’t “selfishly” take my freedoms for granted Danny. Was the Vietnam war (that Ali stood against) a war fought to directly protect my freedom? By most accounts, a critical review of history tells us that it was a mistake for our country to have been involved in that conflict.

To be clear, my comments about “dead white presidents” on our money was intended to be focused to slave-owning presidents: Washington, Jefferson, and Jackson. Yes, the world was viewed with a different lens in those times, but morality is morality, and treating fellow humans as less than human is wrong, period, whether you live in the 18th & 19th century or in the 20th and 21st century.

Danny Morano January 23, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Mr.Dime,
I think enough is enough. Time to move on. There is more in portal things to worry about in life. Like the way North Korea put it’s missiles on display during President Trump’s Inauguration, China building islands for jumping off points to attack Taiwan and all the major powers hacking our computers. That and more are what we all have to really worry about. Take care.

one fine dime January 23, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Peace Danny.

M YF January 23, 2017 at 5:03 pm

The late fighter would be my very last personality to depict on an American commemorative coin. Didn’t this man serve time for draft-dogging, polarizing public opinion between race and declaring he would not serve in the American military to fight etc… I always though he was more of a divisive figure to Americans rather than someone who was proud of his homeland.
He made his living fighting opponents, knocking them out cold in return for millions of dollars – how is this a great contribution to American culture and serving as an example of excellence, a boxing ring is not that example.
A stamp perhaps but certainly not a coin – I’d definitely pass on that one and would hope the government comes to its senses before this comes to a vote.

M YF January 23, 2017 at 5:03 pm

The late fighter would be my very last personality to depict on an American commemorative coin. Didn’t this man serve time for draft-dogging, polarizing public opinion between race and declaring he would not serve in the American military to fight etc… I always thought he was more of a divisive figure to Americans rather than someone who was proud of his homeland.

joera January 23, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Danny Morano
First of all, thank you for your service. And while I’m at it I want to thank everyone else for their service also. And before you ask me, no, I myself have not served in the military. You have asked more than once, if I remember right, if someone has served in the military. What difference does it make if someone has served or not? In my opinion it does not make a difference or makes a person better than any other person if they served. I know you have not implied or said that it is JUST people like you or ONLY people like you that have served give us the freedoms we have today or that it makes anybody a better person than any other person who has not served. You might already know this but there are other people in our country that have made contributions for our freedoms. It is not only people in the military that have made a difference toward our freedoms. And again I know you did not say that. So I ask you… Why do you ask if one has served? And what difference does it make if one has or has not served? Is it because you are just curious? Or is there another reason for your question about people’s service in the military? I’m just curious about your questioning about people’s service in the military.

Seth Riesling January 24, 2017 at 1:12 am

IMHO, Ali should not be depicted on a legal tender US Mint coin before Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gets such an honor. It is a shame that Congress has never honored MLK with a commemorative coin. All he got after death from Congress in 2004 was the Congressional Gold Medal – 36 years after his assassination. How sad!

-NumisDudeTX

Dennis February 10, 2017 at 11:13 am

I won’t buy a draft dodger coin.