2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Quarter Images Unveiled

by Mike Unser on August 17, 2016 · 22 comments

The United States Mint is another step closer to releasing its 2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Coin. Product details announced last week have joined new images of the 24k gold quarter.

2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Quarter and Presentation Case

2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Quarter and Presentation Case

Celebrating the 100th anniversary of the silver Standing Liberty quarter and featuring sculptor Hermon A. MacNeil’s original bare-breasted obverse and eagle reverse, the centennial .9999 fine gold quarter will launch at noon Eastern Time on Sept. 8.

Obverses depict Liberty holding a shield and olive branch as she steps through an opening in a wall bearing 13 stars. Inscriptions include LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, AU 24K, 1/4 oz., 2016. There are also single letter inscriptions of W for the West Point Mint and M for sculptor MacNeil’s initial. Its one-quarter ounce weight is symbolic of the coin’s denomination, as is its business strike.

2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Quarter

Obverse and reverse sides of centennial gold quarter

Reverses feature and eagle in flight flanked by 13 stars. Inscriptions are UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, and QUARTER DOLLAR.

The gold quarter’s price is based on the U.S. Mint’s pricing schedule and will be made public one day before its release. Today, it would be $485 given gold’s average of between $1,300.00 and $1,349.99 an ounce.

Each West Point Mint-struck coin ships encapsulated and hand packaged in a custom-designed, black-matte hardwood presentation case that is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity. They will be sold on the U.S. Mint’s website, right here.

The gold quarter is limited to a mintage of 100,000 and a household ordering restriction of 1 coin.

Joe C. August 17, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I still don’t see a “W”.

Joe C. August 17, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Ah, now I see it next to the bottom left star on the obverse.

Jack August 17, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Stunning!!!!!!

Stuart Wheeler August 17, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Out of the three originally issued in 1916, Standing Liberty Quarter is my favorite and a must have.

Seth Riesling August 17, 2016 at 5:11 pm

FYI CoinNews readers –

The original higher quality photos than these Mint photos of this SL gold coin were published by coinworld.com after its visit to the West Point Mint in June & they recently released a video showing the striking of this gold quarter during their visit.
The Mint mark is in the same place as on the original 1916 silver SL quarters on lower left side next to the last star (hard to see in this US Mint photo).
It is a beauty! Can’t wait to get one.

Happy collecting everyone!

-NumisDudeTX

joera August 17, 2016 at 6:59 pm

It does look good. I’ll be trying to get one but like I said before I’m not going to get my hopes up too high. I don’t want to start yelling at my laptop like it can hear me and it’s it fault. And we all know it does no good to complain to the Mint. If I don’t get one I will get a 1917 Walking Liberty Type 1. The 1916s are very rare and expensive. As long as I get a “Booby Quarter.”

jim August 17, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Maybe I’ll go to the Long Beach Expo (it starts Sep 08) and see if I can get one there without fighting the online crowd (and paying shipping fee as well). Though I truly wish they had done the three in silver instead. I know it was Congress saying do it in gold but sometimes they can be so obtuse.

Seth Riesling August 17, 2016 at 10:45 pm

jim –

The Mint no longer sells special limited edition first day issue coins at coin shows or its 3 gift shops because of the 2014 Kennedy gold coin crowd control & injuries & legal costs & outright greed literally running amok in the streets caught on live tv in Denver with people trampled outside the Denver Mint gift shop & people fighting on line at the ANA show the same day in the rain overnight in line & getting sick & needing medical attention. The ANA’s insurance company said “No more of this” due to legal liability. Trust me – I was a licensed insurance agent once & a public relations manager for a major corporation in Dallas & that situation is everyone’s nightmare type of scenario! The Mint announced this new policy after sales had to be halted at all four locations in 2014.

-NumisDudeTX

Bettyclone August 18, 2016 at 7:57 am

Too high mintage, guaranteed flipper will burn

Chris August 18, 2016 at 8:27 am

Am I missing something or is the image of Liberty missing an important anatomical feature that appears on the original? Have we gotten so PC that we can no longer show an exposed breast in all of its detail, even in a work of public art? On those grounds alone I may have to pass on this one.

jim August 18, 2016 at 8:32 am

Seth –
Didn’t know that, but a wise decision I’m thinking.
I wasn’t being that serious since the show doesn’t open ’till 10 am, an hour after sales of the coin start online. Also not interested in fighting the traffic at that time of day even if they were available at show opening.
And while these people only contract to the mint to do sales at shows they’re pretty much kept out of the loop as much as we are concerning the goings on at the mint so most questions will be answered with ‘I don’t know.’ They only know about the stock they have available for sale at the show so asking about the mercury dime would be a waste of breath as well.

Munzen August 18, 2016 at 8:40 am

Chris:
“… and featuring sculptor Hermon A. MacNeil’s original bare-breasted obverse …”

Art 1, prudery 0.

Bustywidow August 18, 2016 at 8:57 am

Can’t get enough of that wonderful bust!

Seth Riesling August 18, 2016 at 2:09 pm

If you enlarge the photo, there seems to be a faint shadow of a nipple. My two millennial nephews (not the two youngest ones) are “excited” about this coin! Lol
The original coin in 1916 caused a public uproar & her bare breast was cover by a chain mail breastplate the next year as many of you probably know. It will be interesting to see how the non-numismatic media covers this story. It shouldn’t be an issue of contention, as art is art, but the USA has a history of censorship that is amazing. The Supreme Court ruled that photos of nude consenting adults in publications are a freedom of speech expression protected by the US Constitution. Hopefully, non-collectors will see the overall true beauty & historical context of this great coin design.

-NumisDudeTX

Joe C. August 18, 2016 at 6:00 pm

I haven’t heard of any woman without a nipple on her breast. It better be there or it will be a weird coin. It would be like those nude male statues in Europe without a you know what.

Jp August 19, 2016 at 5:51 pm

I’m all in…nipples or naught!

jim August 19, 2016 at 7:35 pm

Joe C. –
it’s called a penis.

Seth Riesling August 19, 2016 at 11:34 pm

1 bare right breast with nipple per household!

-NumisDudeTX

Louis August 21, 2016 at 10:15 am

I want a no nipple error coin!

bilelle August 22, 2016 at 4:47 pm

I see that the FLIPPERS are posting their projected 2016 W Gold Standing Liberty Gold Coins on duh Bay. The buy it now prices seem to run up to $825. Some have the coins up for bid and they are a REAL BARGIN (at the moment) under $10 lol.

I did look to see if any of the Flippers were out with their 2016 W Walking Liberty Gold Coins but they are playing safe for now with no postings yet on duh Bay.
Anyone hearing anything about the 2016 W Gold Mercury Dimes that the minit
Still have?
Bilelle

bilelle August 22, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Seath,
for an extra $74.95 the mint will sell you a do it yourself
Kit to put the second anatomical correction on the Standing Liberty.
I am afraid to order this Special knowing what all the Gov’ ment has been peddling
Lately. I did hear it might consist of a little glue and something to attach to “Liberty”. Do you think the Gov would trying and make its “MARK” (lol lol) on the world of coin collecting?
Miss Bustywidow be careful when you open the coin box as to what you might find

Bilelle