2015 LBJ Coin & Chronicles Sets Sell Out

by Mike Unser on October 27, 2015 · 12 comments

US Mint, LBJ Set

A screen shot taken earlier today shows the U.S. Mint’s online store promoting the newly released Lyndon B. Johnson Coin & Chronicles Set

Coin and Chronicles Sets featuring Lyndon B. Johnson lasted longer than the ones for Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower, but not by much.

Limited to 25,000 with 2 allotted per household, the sets went on sale today at noon EST. By 3:57 p.m., or about 4 hours, the available inventory had been depleted according to the United States Mint.

"All accepted orders will be processed and fulfilled on a first-in, first-served basis," U.S. Mint spokesman Michael White said in an email. "The product inventory is at the fulfillment center for immediate shipment to customers.

The earlier 2015 sets for Truman and Eisenhower sold out in about 15 minutes. They each had lower limits of 17,000. There was one other issue from the product line this year, the set featuring John F. Kennedy. It took about two weeks to sell out at its higher 50,000 limit, although more than 45,000 sold within its first 12 hours on sale.

Early ordering went well today, according to customer comments. We noticed a few website timeouts, but browser refreshes pulled everything back on track with minimal delays.

Priced at $57.95, sets include a 2015-P Reverse Proof Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential $1 Coin, a one-ounce .999 fine LBJ silver medal, and a 1973 8-cent Johnson postage stamp.

The set’s product page is now showing a status of unavailable with a "Remind Me" button. Those who use the feature can receive an email if ordering reopens due to order cancellations and the like. The Mint said product shipments, returns and exchanges will be monitored daily over the next few weeks.

Christopher Williams October 27, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Mike, I know I’ve written this before, but you do a great here and all of us appreciate the information you bring us.

Mike Unser October 27, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Thank you very much Christopher. We hope to have photos of the set published by week’s end.

Christopher Williams October 27, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Thank you, Mike.

I got my two today. Will sell one and then have the complete set for 2015.

I am looking forward to owning the Ronald Reagan set in 2016.

Hewhodontknow October 27, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Wonder what the mintage limit will be for Reagan ‘s next year… Great articles Mike! Thanks for the info.

Andrew October 28, 2015 at 5:53 am

What about Nixon and Ford sets?

Senior October 28, 2015 at 9:33 am

The Regan set I’ll be popular,I just hope the mint keeps the numbers 25 K or less.

Mike Unser (CoinNews.net) October 28, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Here is a link to photos of the LBJ Coin & Chronicles Set.

J Bigness October 28, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I would be happy to trade my Lyndon B Johnson for the Eisenhower set 😉

Whistler October 29, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Nixon comes with an “I am not a crook” bronze medal……serioulsy, do you think it is political that no Nixon nor Ford sets? Kind of odd, the mint & USPS has gone very PC lately on issues & plans…….

joera October 30, 2015 at 4:19 am

Mike Unser,

I was just wondering if the Mint did not make any kind of coins for Nixon & Ford? I’m not just asking about the Coins & Chronicles Sets but any Presidential Dollars of any kind for Nixon and Ford..

I have not kept up with the Presidential Coins too closely because they tarnish way to easy. I have some of the first Presidential Coins that were made for circulation & given out by banks to be used to hopefully take over the $1 currency note. Well that didn’t work out for the Mint. So they stopped releasing them for common commerce. These first coins tarnished so bad that u could not tell which President was on the coin. They tarnish to the point that they looked like the skulls of the Presidents. lol But even if they did look bad or kind of odd they did look kind of cool also. In a funny kind of way. lol

Christopher Williams November 4, 2015 at 8:41 pm

The secondary market, even with a low mintage of 25,000, is not impressive at all.

$75.00-$80.00 looks to be the average selling price.

I also think that prices will rise after a few thousand are broken up and submitted to the grading companies.

Christopher Williams November 10, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I just received the following email from the US mint.

” Dear Valued Customer,
Unfortunately there was a design description error printed inside the folder of the 2015 Coin and Chronicles Set – Lyndon B. Johnson. The text in the folder describing the silver medal reverse reads “The reverse includes the date of his inauguration: January 20, 1965.” The text should have read “The reverse includes the date the president first took office: November 22, 1963.” The Mint apologizes to its customers for this error. ”

Wow!!!!

I just looked inside the set and there’s the error; plain as day.