The United States Mint today, November 27, 2012, placed a new limited-edition proof set on sale. Restricted to 50,000 units, each is $149.95.
Packed within the U.S. Mint dubbed "2012 United States Mint Limited Edition Silver Proof Set" is eight silver coins. The coins and their silver compositions include:
- 2012-W Proof Silver Eagle from 99.9% silver
- 2012-S Kennedy Half-Dollar from 90% silver
- 2012-S El Yunque National Forest Quarter from 90% silver
- 2012-S Chaco Culture National Historical Park Quarter from 90% silver
- 2012-S Acadia National Park Quarter from 90% silver
- 2012-S Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park Quarter from 90% silver
- 2012-S Denali National Park and Preserve Quarter from 90% silver
- 2012-S Roosevelt Dime from 90% silver
The smaller seven coins are also available within the Mint’s annual Silver Proof Set for $67.95 while the proof Silver Eagle sold by itself earlier in the year for $59.95. Coins with the ‘S’ mint mark originate from San Francisco. The proof Silver Eagle has a ‘W’ mint mark and comes from West Point.
With a total silver weight of 2.338 ounces, melt values of the eight coins sum to $79.62 at today’s London Fix silver price of $34.05 an ounce. That equates to a $70.33 premium when subtracted from the set’s 149.95 price.
Collectors may place orders online at the United States Mint website found here. Sales are restricted to two sets per household. A $4.95 shipping and handling fee is applied to the shopping cart at check out.
Shipping dates were fluid when details of the Limited Edition Silver Proof Set first emerged. The U.S. Mint first indicated shipping would begin in the spring of 2013. The bureau has now confirmed that early orders will start shipping in late December.