2021-W $50 Proof American Buffalo Gold Coin Released

The United States Mint started accepting orders for the 2021-W $50 Proof American Gold Buffalo, extending their collector series which dates back to 2006.

U.S. Mint product Images for the 2020-W $50 Proof American Buffalo Gold Coin
U.S. Mint product images for the 2021-W $50 Proof American Buffalo Gold Coin. Each coin ships in a brown leatherette presentation case with the United States Mint seal embossed on top and an image of a buffalo foil stamped in a golden color on the pillow insert.

Each is composed of 1 ounce of .9999 fine, 24-karat gold and bears recreations of sculptor James Earle Fraser’s 1913 Type I Buffalo nickel designs which are favored by many collectors.

Produced at the U.S. Mint’s facility in West Point, the proof Gold Buffalo has an initial price of $2,740.00.

Sales from 2006 to 2020

Despite their high price tag, thousands of these 1-ounce coins are sold annually, as illustrated in the table below.

Year Debut Price Final Sales
2011 (released May 19) $1,760.00 28,683
2010 (released June 3) $1,510.00 49,263
2009 (released October 29) $1,360.00 49,306
2008 (released July 22) $1,199.95 18,863
2007 (released May 23) $825.95 58,998
2006 (released June 22) $800.00 246,267

Along with the 1-ounce proof and companion bullion editions, the U.S. Mint has issued other variations of the coin to include fractional as well as a special reverse proof to celebrate the anniversary of the designs.

American Buffalo Gold Coin Designs and Specifications

A right-facing portrait of a Native American is featured on the obverse (heads side) of each Gold Buffalo just as it did on the original 1913 nickels. The image is said to be created from a composite of three different individuals. Obverse inscriptions include LIBERTY, a W mint mark for the West Point Mint, 2021, and an F for the artist’s initial.

2021-W $50 Proof American Buffalo Gold Coin-Obverse
This image shows the gold coin’s obverse or heads side

The reverse was also featured on the 1913 nickel and depicts an American Buffalo, or bison. The bison is surrounded by inscriptions of UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, IN GOD WE TRUST, the coin’s legal tender face value of $50 and its weight and fineness of 1 OZ. .9999 FINE GOLD.

2021-W $50 Proof American Buffalo Gold Coin-Reverse
This image shows the coin’s reverse or tails side

Specifications, as provided by the U.S. Mint, are as follows:

Coin Specifications

Denomination: $50
Finish: Proof
Composition: 99.99% Gold
Diameter: 1.287 inches
(32.70 mm)
Weight: 1.0000 troy ounce
(31.103 grams)
Edge: Reeded
Mint and Mint Mark: West Point – W
Privy Mark: None

Ordering

The 2021-W $50 Proof American Buffalo Gold Coin may be ordered directly from the U.S. Mint via its webpage dedicated to gold coins.

Coin pricing can change weekly depending on market conditions of gold and the Mint’s numismatic precious metal pricing matrix.

Notify of
guest
37 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Kaiser Wilhelm

This is in fact the U.S. Mint’s American Bison Gold Coin since there hasn’t been an extant native buffalo species in the Western Hemisphere like ever, so there’s that.

Pictured below, African Buffalo

th.png
Mark D.

phylum, slyum…genus, weemus…and then there’s the caribou…elk-like or, ox-like, depending on the continent.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Just imagine what may have been lost with the submergence of “Atlantis”…

240px-Santorini_Landsat.jpg
Last edited 29 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mark D.

Minotaurs, assuming they were on Santorini as well as Crete!?

Kaiser Wilhelm

Thanks to the super-massive volcanic explosion around 1600 or so BCE it must have been raining Minotaur jerky all over the place for weeks. I imagine that’s what gave birth to the concept of “manna” from heaven.

1zx9fs.jpg
Last edited 29 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mark D.

Not Kosher, and definitely not Pareve.

Perhaps TMI, but I believe “jerky” is the sole word from Inca language to morf into/join the English lexicon, oddly enough.

What eruption? Santorini? Java? Aetna? Vesuvius? St. Helens? Pinatubo? The one in Iceland that is impossible to pronounce (part of Mid-Atlantic ridge)? The 2012 Hawaii ATB quarter/5-oz silver obverse? Olympus Mons on Mars?

Would you be so kind as to refresh my memory?

Kaiser Wilhelm

Okey dokey, Mark, in reverse order… This was the “Minoan” (referring to the effect on that civilization but not located there) eruption, one of the five largest ever in recorded human times. Took place over 3600 years ago on Thera, the remains of which are Santorini and some small adjoining islands. One of the speculative sites of the legendary Atlantis, but doubtfully the case here. Yes, totally from the Incas, specifically the Quecha, which I could see being understood as “jerky”. So the male youngsters of this tribe were the original Jerky Boys. Lastly, not kosher, pareve, vegetarian, or vegan,… Read more »

th (2).jpg
Last edited 28 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mark D.

Also in reverse order, check, check and check. And I bet you didn’t need to consult Google.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Well, my best friend has long referred to me as “the walking encyclopedia”. I suppose we all have to be good at something.

Seth Riesling

For some strange reason, the term “Jerky Boys” makes me salivate and hungry…lol..So does lean Bison meat with dried cranberries from Epic company in Austin, Texas where I live & collect coins, tokens, medals/medallions & paper money.

NumisdudeTX

Last edited 28 days ago by Seth Riesling
Kaiser Wilhelm

My tastes lean toward jerky turkey since while I am by no means a vegetarian I simply choose to consume fish and fowl as opposed to most of the popular four-legged food sources. That being said, however (and as always), each to their own, and even I myself have been known to allow for the occasional exception to the aforementioned preference.

Last edited 28 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mark D.

Keep dinosaurs small and low on the food chain: Eat a chicken!

Kaiser Wilhelm

Our little winged and feathered animal brethren are the sole survivors of their fierce giant dinosaur predecessors, so now we eat those whose ancestors would gladly have devoured us. There’s a kind of poetic justice in there somehow, I would imagine. Or then again, perhaps not.

Last edited 26 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mark D.

Just a thought, I bet some dinosaurs were like those far out bower birds, i.e., able to build intricate, meticulous and oddly artistic nests, but on an epic scale.

Last edited 25 days ago by Mark D.
Kaiser Wilhelm

And were they ever fortunate not to have to cope with stupid humans the likes of those malicious idiots who cut down an osprey nest the other day, as if those amazing birds aren’t already endangered enough.

Last edited 23 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mark D.

Seems as if there’s an increasing abundance of ugly giant bags of mostly water that don’t even aspire to be human.

I sense deliberate ignorance, sir.

… Just for fun, you may want to cut-and-paste above into a trusted (ha!) search engine…

Kaiser Wilhelm

The biggest and ugliest water bag has fortunately left the building, those poor wedding attendees at Marsha Lagos are being regaled with blowhard sob stories, and self-same Caligula is absolutely rolling in cash deposited by his Kool-Aid-drunk Stockholm Syndrome know nothings.

OIP (4).jpg
Last edited 2 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Seth Riesling

The Mint changed its precious metals pricing grid/matrix on Monday so they could raise all gold, platinum & palladium prices starting with this unlimited mintage Highly overpriced American Bison (he was named “Black Diamond & was in a NY zoo when Fraser sketched him for the Indian Head 5-cents coin). There is no such thing as a buffalo nickle ever produced by the U.S. Mint. Just like the U.S. Mint has never struck a single penny, yet their COAs & outer boxes are labeled “penny” for the Lincoln cent. Did you hear me incompetent U.S. Mint Director David J. Ryder??!!… Read more »

Kaiser Wilhelm

I see that the Mint has now also added silver to the commodities-market-based pricing scheme, but I’m at a loss for the reasoning behind that. While platinum, gold and palladium prices customarily move in multiple dollar increments, silver prices, on the other hand, typically change by at most a number of cents. What is the point of linking the price of silver coins to market changes when even a five ounce coin’s value would likely vary by no more than a dollar total even on the biggest of price change days?

Mark D.

Have y’all seen this year’s Liberty gold yet? It’s spectacular. While not covered — so far — by CN, you can find it in other periodicals that provide more timely reporting (ahem).

Seth Riesling

Yes, “Lady Liberty” has been transformed into a bucking Mustang horse on the obverse, and the reverse has a scary, angry, hungry Bald eagle head on it! Lol.

NumisdudeTX

Jake

Just checked the mail, I got the 2021 collector guide. Way cool lol

20210515_140434.jpg
Seth Riesling

Jake –

I am going to ride that golden horse all the way to the bank! Lol

NumisdudeTX

Jake

I like the layout and the management at coin news, and Seth. Who doesn’t like Seth lol

Mark D.

Horus, for one. But that’s probably a different Seth .

Kaiser Wilhelm

Mark, Jake and Seth, I’d say we’re a group of hearty fellows all well met here. I for one haven’t seen any of the uncalled for fuss and bother that occasionally creeps into these comment sites. Knocking on wood and raising our Golden Eagles aloft, keeping just as cool and pleasant and jocular as we certainly appear to be naturally given to. Cheers!

Last edited 26 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
cagcrisp

where are you seeing that silver has been added to pricing scheme from the United States Mint?

Kaiser Wilhelm

I wish I could tell you where I saw that, but I’ve now looked just about everywhere to try to answer your question but I have had no luck finding it.

Last edited 26 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mark D.

The latest catalogue leaves prices blank for many upcoming silver items.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Thanks, Mark, for pointing that out. And while I couldn’t satisfy cagcrisp’s curiosity (skepticism?) by finding the exact item in regard to what I had been quoting, unless I’ve taken leave of my senses I’m still certain I did see it and that it is located out yonder in Mintland.

Last edited 25 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mark D.

Happy to oblige, oh Caesar of the Ostarrichians.

Thank YOU for the “hearty” (vs. “hardy”) reference, didn’t cover in J-school, don’t remember it in AP)UPI style guide so, I learned stuff!

I offer you the digital essence of my best girl in Wein…

IMAG0274.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Honorable Tribune Marcus, I clearly owe you both a Danke Schoen and a Bitte; much obliged all around. And here’s yet another “thank you” (the modern English rendering of the original Upper Paleolithic) for the holographic depiction of the Fertility Goddess aka Venus of Willendorf.

330px-Venus_von_Willendorf_01.jpg
Last edited 24 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Jake

I thought mine said backordered but it shipped on Friday

Mike Petraitis

I ordered mine on May13th the day they went on sale.I got an e mail that night said it has been shipped so I kept tracking it all week end. The US mint quit using UPS now they use the USPS service .I live 250 miles away from Memphis where they send them from my coin is sitting in California post office.This does not make any sense why it is going to travel all over before I recieve it.The mint said they were having problems with UPS I never had problems with them but do have problems with USPS.

Kaiser Wilhelm

That’s exceedingly strange, Mike; just what the heck is your shipment doing all the way out in California when you live so very close to the original shipping point? By the way, I’ve had the opposite experience regarding the carrier for the Mint’s most recent shipments to me. They were using USPS and it was taking forever, but now the Mint is sending mine via UPS and the stuff gets here lickety-split. Ever since that hapless dufus was appointed head of the USPS by the incorrigible “he who shall not be named” a once smoothly functioning public service has been… Read more »

Last edited 26 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Mike Petraitis

I called customer service and was told they are having problems with UPS and now they are going to use USPS for shipping.

Kaiser Wilhelm

I have found the U.S. Mint’s Customer Service Department to be among the most cordial, reassuring and unquestionably least reliable of just about any such entity I have ever had the great (mis?)fortune to commune with.

Last edited 26 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm