The United States Mint recently unveiled images and information for a special set to be released Aug. 1 as a part of its 225th anniversary celebration.
Named the 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set™, the product includes 10 coins made at the San Francisco Mint with each having an "S" mint mark. The set contains the following pieces:
- 2017-S Effigy Mounds National Monument Quarter (Iowa)
- 2017-S Frederick Douglass National Historic Site Quarter (Washington, DC)
- 2017-S Ozark National Scenic Riverways Quarter (Missouri)
- 2017-S Ellis Island (Statue of Liberty National Monument) Quarter (New Jersey)
- 2017-S George Rogers Clark National Historical Park Quarter (Indiana)
- 2017-S Native American $1 Coin
- 2017-S Kennedy half-dollar
- 2017-S Roosevelt dime
- 2017-S Jefferson nickel
- 2017-S Lincoln cent
While their enhanced uncirculated finish is unique, these coins and their specifications match those from within the U.S. Mint’s 2017 Proof Set. Here’s a partial Mint description of the anniversary set:
"This coin set contains 10 coins with an enhanced uncirculated finish using a combination of laser frosted areas and an unpolished field that accentuates design details, creating a unique contrast distinctly different from the mirror-like finish of proof coins."
The regular 2017 Proof Set is available without limits for $26.95. It launched on March 29 and has to-date sales of 292,156. It should reach around the 600,000 level before all is said and done.
Far fewer anniversary sets will be sold. There is no mention yet on pricing, but its mintage is capped at 225,000 without any per household order restrictions.
Update: The set’s price is $29.95.
U.S. Mint-provided images fail to provide a real sense of the coins’ unique appearance. To help a bit in that regard, below are few CoinNews photos and videos of some recent U.S. Mint coins that have enhanced uncirculated finishes.
For more information about the set, visit its product page right here.