Heritage Auctions’ Dallas April 4-6 sale of rare U.S. coins brought over $9.8 million, the company said in a news release.
More than 4,100 lots crossed the auction block, which had a 100 percent sell-through rate, and many coins exceeded their prices from the 2014 market peak.
"A 100 percent sell-through rate is a good indicator that the coin market is experiencing a resurgence," said Jim Halperin, Co-founder of Heritage Auctions. "All but 12 coins met their reserve in the Live auction, and most of those 12 have already received close offers in the Post-Auction period."
Two coins led the action with each bringing $76,375 — a 1892-S Morgan dollar graded MS63 by NGC and a 1795 half dime graded MS66 by PCGS and certified by CAC.
The 1795 half dime is ideal for a high-level type set, Heritage said, with just seven of 1795 varieties certified in finer numerical grades.
1892-S Morgan dollars rarely become available in the MS63 grade, the company noted:
"While circulated examples of this date are fairly common, only 13 coins have been assigned Select status by the two major grading companies combined, with another 33 coins finer. In a series as heavily collected and contested as Morgan dollars, the competition for a condition rarity at this level is stiff."
Another standout was a 1908-S double eagle graded MS66 by NGC.
The gold rarity, the lowest mintage With Motto issue in the entire Saint-Gaudens series, realized $70,500.
"The 22,000-piece mintage of the 1908-S is one of the lowest in the entire Saint-Gaudens double eagle series, trailing only the Ultra High Relief and High Relief," Heritage noted.
Some other highlights from the sale include:
- 1929 $20 MS65 PCGS: Realized: $61,687
- 1873-CC $20 MS61 NGC: Realized: $55,239
- 1891 $20 AU58 PCGS Secure: Realized: $54,080
- 1870-CC $5 AU53 PCGS: Realized: $54,050
- 1895 $1 PR63 Cameo NGC: Realized: $54,050
- 1652 Pine Tree Shilling, Large Planchet, No Pellets at Trunk, Noe-2, MS64 NGC: Realized: $52,875
- 1652 Pine Tree Shilling, Large Planchet, Reversed N, Noe-4, MS65 NGC: Realized: $51,700
- 1909-D $10 MS66 PCGS: Realized: $44,650
- 1820/19 50C Square Base 2, O-101, MS65 PCGS Secure: Realized: $42,300
- 1889-CC $1 MS63 Deep Prooflike NGC: Realized: $42,300
Heritage Auctions is the largest fine art and collectibles auction house founded in the United States, and the world’s largest collectibles auctioneer. To learn more about the company, visit HA.com.