Buyers continue to scoop up 2015-W $100 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coins from the United States Mint. (See photos of the $100 coin.)
Sales of the one-ounce, .9999 fine gold coin climbed another 5,244 through the weekend, the U.S. Mint said, with 41,930 claimed as of midnight Sunday, Aug. 2. That represents 83.9% of the 50,000 maximum.
The 2015 $100 American Liberty went on sale at noon ET on Thursday, July 30. In summarizing some of the early reported figures from the Mint:
- 5,231 orders were placed in the first 10 minutes. That’s 8.7 orders every second.
- Orders topped 30,000 coins in the first 75 minutes
- Sales reached above 32,000 coins in the first 150 minutes.
- Sales tallied to more than 35,000 coins in the first 4 hours.
- First-day sales totaled to 36,686 coins.
The early figures did not factor in credit card holds or order holds. The Mint also reported that its new MyUSMint mobile app registered sales on Thursday of more than $500,000.
Priced at $1,490.00, the $100 gold piece is available from the U.S. Mint product page found here. Its household ordering limit is set at 50 coins.