The Royal Canadian Mint (RCM) launched the Olympic Snowboarding 25-cent coin into circulation on Feb. 20, 2008. Now the Mint is offering a special limited edition $25 silver hologram snowboarding coin as well.
Like its circulating 25-cent cousin, the innovative hologram coin celebrates the XXI Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver, British Columbia.
The $25 sterling silver coin is part of the Silver Hologram Coin Series, which includes 15 different designs or themes. The snowboarding theme is the first for 2008 and the sixth in the hologram series that will continue through the end of 2009. Only 45,000 coins will be minted for each theme.
$25 Snowboarding Hologram coin specifications
Face Value: 25 dollars
Composition: 92.5% Silver, 7.5% copper
Weight: 27.78 g
Diameter: 40 mm
Artist: Brian Hughes
Price, order details and the hologram coin catch-up program
The special 2008 Snowboarding $25 Sterling Silver Hologram Coin can be purchased through the the Royal Canadian Mint website for $71.95 (CAN).
Telephone orders may be placed through the Mint at 1-800-267-1871.
Coin catch-up program
Given that the series began in 2007 and the Mint recognizes collectors may have missed purchasing past coins, a special "catch-up" program is available.
For the price of $419.70, all previously released Silver Hologram Series Coins may be purchased. There is also an equal monthly $69.95 payment option available.
The past and future themes designed around snow or ice and celebrate the spirit of athletes are:
• Curling Coin in February 2007
• Ice Hockey Coin in April 2007
• Wheelchair Curling Coin in July 2007
• Biathlon Coin in September 2007
• Alpine Skiing Coin in October 2007
• Snowboard Coin in February 2008
• Freestyle Skiing Coin in April 2008
• Figure Skating Coin in September 2008
• Bobsled Coin in October 2008
• Speed Skating Coin in February 2009
• Cross Country Skiing Coin in April 2009
• Paralympics Sledge Hockey in June 2009
• And three coins honouring our favourite medalists in 2009
The currently released coins are also available for international customers through the Mint website or phone.