225th Anniversary 2017-S Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set Release

by Darrin Lee Unser on August 1, 2017 · 60 comments

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set

U.S. Mint image of its 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set™. The 10 coins are presented in two lenses and packaged inside a black matte box with a Certificate of Authenticity.

A hot ticket product from the United States Mint debuts today with the release of the 2017-S Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set. This limited-edition collection holds 10 unique coins from the San Francisco Mint. Each has an ‘S’ mintmark.

The product celebrates the 225th anniversary of the U.S. Mint and launches at noon ET for $29.95. No more than 225,000 will be sold and there are no household order limits.

A breakdown of the included coins is as follows:

• 2017-S Effigy Mounds National Monument Quarter (Iowa)
  • 2017-S Frederick Douglass National Historic Site Quarter (Washington, DC)
  • 2017-S Ozark National Scenic Riverways Quarter (Missouri)
  • 2017-S Ellis Island (Statue of Liberty National Monument) Quarter (New Jersey)
  • 2017-S George Rogers Clark National Historical Park Quarter (Indiana)
  • 2017-S Native American $1 Coin
  • 2017-S Kennedy half-dollar
  • 2017-S Roosevelt dime
  • 2017-S Jefferson nickel
  • 2017-S Lincoln cent

Each is composed from the same base metals that are used in making their standard circulating, collector uncirculated, and collector proof counterparts. However, their appearances stand apart from other clad coinage as the dies used in striking them are specially manufactured.

Obverse and reverse of a 2015-W Enhanced Uncirculated Native American $1 Coin

An example of an enhanced uncirculated finish is the Mint’s application of it on the 2015-W Native American $1 Coin

As described by the Mint, the coins’ finishes are created "using a combination of laser frosted areas and an unpolished field that accentuates design details, creating a unique contrast distinctly different from the mirror-like finish of proof coins."

Some recent U.S. Mint coins in enhanced uncirculated include the 2015- and 2016-dated Native American $1 coins. (See photos of the 2015 dollar and photos of the 2016 dollar.)

Ordering

The 2017-S Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set may be ordered directly from the United States Mint by following this link its product page. Orders are also accepted by calling 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

These sets will also be available at the Philadelphia and Denver Mint sales centers, the U.S. Mint’s headquarters in D.C. and at the Mint’s booth of the World’s Fair of Money in Denver.

Randy August 3, 2017 at 11:11 am

I think its funny people say the mint must have cancelled someones big order. If you read you will see the mint did not release all 225K the 1st day. Only part was for sale then the balance today. Funny how people think they know so much!

Tom August 3, 2017 at 11:41 am

Maybe the mint has got smarter? If so, they are geniuses on this one, if this is how they planed out the allotment of the 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set! I wasn’t able to get this set in the first few hours. I read this coin set is not available and I called and asked what does this mean. I was told to add my name to the email list if they come available again. So, I did, and meanwhile I looked on EBay people had 100 to 1000 sets available for $50 or more dollars. This morning I got an email from the mint and I bought my sets. I hope the mint did all this on purpose. They never said it was a SOLD OUT set!

Seth Riesling August 3, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Tom –

You are right. These sets never sold out officially, they simply went to “currently unavailable” status. One reason is that the Mint had thousands of sets at their Mint sales booth at the largest coin show in the world starting on August 1 in Denver – the ANA coin show & convention. They also had sets available on August 1 at the Denver Mint Gift Shop, the Philadelphia Mint Gift Shop, & the U.S. Mint headquarters building lobby sales center in Washington DC. All those sets were not put in their computer ordering system since they were not available except for in person purchasing at the 4 locations. Also, the Mint always takes at least a day after issue to clear out any cancelled orders or orders where the credit card doesn’t go through on shipment date. This situation left some sets available this morning luckily for those of you who couldn’t pick them up in person on first day of issue at the Mint’s 4 sales locations for this product. 225,000 is a lot of sets & these will not be rare if many coins grade out at 70. This set was $3 more than the Proof set which costs much more to produce. So the Mint is making a large profit on these clad, base metal sets. Hope everyone got at least one by now. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for an official sellout.

-NumisDudeTx

Seedyrom August 3, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Thanks for the valuable input Randy …
However, when Coin World senior editor Paul Gilkes, in attendance at the American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money in Denver, spoke to Mint staff there, he was told that order cancellations made the sets available again, with one order by a dealer for 20,000 sets among those that were canceled

What is the expression?
Funny how people think they know so much!

Robert F Hall August 4, 2017 at 10:57 pm

I ordered a pair of them.

Christopher Williams August 5, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Mike “Sold Out, Limited Edition” Mezack is hawking these on HSN in EU70 from ANACS for $349.99.

I received my sets yesterday (Friday, Aug. 4th).

The prices are dropping like crazy on Ebay.

Christopher Williams August 5, 2017 at 7:34 pm

MCM sold a bunch of these for $99.00 each.

Seth Riesling August 6, 2017 at 8:44 am

Christopher Williams –

I was also watching the Numismatic Devil Mike Mezack last nite on HSN tv shopping show live during primetime for 2 hours & he said these sets sold out totally from the Mint (a boldface lie as they only went to ‘currently unavailable” status for 1 day & sales then resumed & they are still available from the Mint at issue price of $29.95 right now!). Did you notice he had almost 1000 sets all graded ANACS 70!? He didn’t even offer a 69 graded set. He has that “special relationship” with ANACS as he often says. Crazy ripoff!

Happy collecting Christopher!

-NumisDudeTx

Christopher Williams August 6, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Seth-

I don’t know how he (Mike “Sold Out, Limited Edition” Mezack) gets away with it.

Yep, 1,000 EU70 graded sets, but no EU69 graded sets.

Bill K August 12, 2017 at 5:40 am

I ended up with 4 sets – the two eBay and two from the mint, when they became available, again. So, if you factor in the shipping, I ended up paying about $44 per each set – I guess I should’ve waited to see about cancellations, but I got burned, in the past, doing this during the Gold Mercury Dime release and the some of the Coin & Chronicles sets, so I thought I’d better jump in on eBay right away. I’ll probably end up keeping two or three sets, myself, and giving the other one or two as a gift.

Obviously, it’s always best – cost wise – to try to get items you really want directly from the mint, but that’s not always possible. I think the mint should have a program where they offer long time continuous customers and/or smaller subscription customers a presale for at least 1 set (or coin) when there is a lower mintage or expected (?) sell out. Real collectors and long time collectors should have a chance to buy before giant coin shops and flippers who somehow have “10 available” or other such high amounts above limits listed on eBay as soon as a mint release is sold out.

I buy proof and uncirculated sets to keep up my complete set runs, which include: Proof Sets [every variety & sub-variety] 1950 to the present; Mint sets [every variety & sub-variety] 1959 to the present and all currently circulating denomination sets (plus all the modern dollars) from their earliest start dates to the present and always include the proofs, all possible metal compositions and any specials in those sets, too, so I will have absolutely complete only BU and [every] proof sets.