Enhanced Uncirculated Set For U.S. Mint’s 225th Anniversary

by Mike Unser on July 3, 2017 · 27 comments

The United States Mint recently unveiled images and information for a special set to be released Aug. 1 as a part of its 225th anniversary celebration.

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set

U.S. Mint image of its 2017 Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set

Named the 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set™, the product includes 10 coins made at the San Francisco Mint with each having an "S" mint mark. The set contains the following pieces:

• 2017-S Effigy Mounds National Monument Quarter (Iowa)
  • 2017-S Frederick Douglass National Historic Site Quarter (Washington, DC)
  • 2017-S Ozark National Scenic Riverways Quarter (Missouri)
  • 2017-S Ellis Island (Statue of Liberty National Monument) Quarter (New Jersey)
  • 2017-S George Rogers Clark National Historical Park Quarter (Indiana)
  • 2017-S Native American $1 Coin
  • 2017-S Kennedy half-dollar
  • 2017-S Roosevelt dime
  • 2017-S Jefferson nickel
  • 2017-S Lincoln cent

While their enhanced uncirculated finish is unique, these coins and their specifications match those from within the U.S. Mint’s 2017 Proof Set. Here’s a partial Mint description of the anniversary set:

"This coin set contains 10 coins with an enhanced uncirculated finish using a combination of laser frosted areas and an unpolished field that accentuates design details, creating a unique contrast distinctly different from the mirror-like finish of proof coins."

The regular 2017 Proof Set is available without limits for $26.95. It launched on March 29 and has to-date sales of 292,156. It should reach around the 600,000 level before all is said and done.

Far fewer anniversary sets will be sold. There is no mention yet on pricing, but its mintage is capped at 225,000 without any per household order restrictions.

Lenses 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set

U.S. Mint image of the coins in its 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set

U.S. Mint-provided images fail to provide a real sense of the coins’ unique appearance. To help a bit in that regard, below are few CoinNews photos and videos of some recent U.S. Mint coins that have enhanced uncirculated finishes.

2016-S Enhanced Uncirculated Native American $1 Coin - Obverse and Reverse

A 2016-S Enhanced Uncirculated Native American $1 Coin (obverse and reverse)

Obverse and reverse of a 2015-W Enhanced Uncirculated Native American $1 Coin

A 2015-W Enhanced Uncirculated Native American $1 Coin (obverse and reverse)

2014-D Enhanced Uncirculated Native American $1 Coin - Reverse

A 2014-D Enhanced Uncirculated Native American $1 Coin (reverse side)

2014-S Enhanced Uncirculated Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin - Obverse and Reverse

Photo of two 2014-S Enhanced Uncirculated Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coins taken in the San Francisco Mint on Sept. 2, 2014

For more information about the set, visit its produce page right here.

Ana July 3, 2017 at 1:13 am

Not interested. Just more shinny change.

joera July 3, 2017 at 4:07 am

Something I will try to get. But without the house hold limit I can already see the problems some of us will be having when it comes time to order. I will also want to get some of the graded coins from this set.

Joe Brown July 3, 2017 at 4:09 am

I would go for it myself,if they made it silver. And being a first of a kind 225 year enhanced unc. set. Nothing wrong with copper & nickel. I like siver more at this time. Really should cost the same as the proof set maybe 1/2 buck more.

RODNEY MOORE July 3, 2017 at 7:02 am

I’m interested in this and I was hoping they would also make a silver version. I would be getting the set only for the Kennedy coin. The enhanced uncirculated kennedy coin that was made in 2014 is pretty nice, especially on the reverse on the shield the eagle holds. The 2014 Kennedy enhanced uncirculated coins that are Proof-like are especially fine because of the contrast.
That they are going to individually laser each coin and with ten coins per set, that is a lot of lasering of individual coins! It’s surprising that they can do so much work for a few dollars extra.
I would think that with a mintage of 225,000 that they wont sell out in two minutes like the congratulations set did awhile back.

Teach July 3, 2017 at 7:09 am

Shiny has only one N

Tinto July 3, 2017 at 11:11 am

Since the Mint is making an EU set, I hope they also continue making the NA $1 C&C set .. so far no peep from them on this

Bustywidow July 3, 2017 at 11:22 am

Rodney, I believe the lasering is done to the coin die and not on the coin itself as you are suggesting.

RODNEY MOORE July 3, 2017 at 11:30 am

Tinto, I don’t suppose there is any way to know since the Mint really doesn’t have a product schedule any longer. When I looked at the end of May it only showed 5 days ahead! It seems this year they only update it a couple of weeks to a month and a half in advance. The mint is shooting themselves in the foot on this as the collectors can’t plan and budget for releases. Of course the big buyers/companies probably already have a schedule from them! Releasing a full years product schedule would probably result in increased sales for the Mint but I guess they figure that they are doing okay as far as sales go? Personally I like to look ahead and see when the items that I am interested in will be released.
I’ll hazard an uninformed guess that they may do away with the C&C set since people can get the enhanced Native American $1 by buying the set – provided that it doesn’t sell out immediately, that is.

SJW July 3, 2017 at 11:39 am

50 years ago in 1967, the Mint only had two jobs on the docket: to produce coinage for circulation and 2) to produce special mint sets. That’s all. Here in 2017, numismatists everywhere in the United States of America in addition to the Mom and Pop coin store just down the street at the corner of Harvard and Elm Streets, now has the United States Mint as the premier coin dealership competing with Mom and Pop for all of your hard earned dollars. And getting bigger each and every year since 1967. And oh, the enhanced set from San Francisco is very tempting…

RODNEY MOORE July 3, 2017 at 11:39 am

Bustywidow: Yeah, that would make sense, thanks for your informative comment. I wonder if the dies have to be changed out more frequently because of that? It would seem like such delicate difference in the etched area would quickly wear away or at least not have crisp well defined edges, like on the shield of the reverse of the ’14 enhanced Kennedy or the robes on the enhanced silver Eagle’s Lady Liberty?

Joe C. July 3, 2017 at 12:09 pm

To Teach,
Shiny does not have a capital N in it.

RODNEY MOORE July 3, 2017 at 1:02 pm

To Teach,
Perhaps OP didn’t mean “shiny” at all and instead likes to keep his or her coins on or about his or her shins and thus, “shinny”.

Tinto July 3, 2017 at 1:16 pm

RODNEY MOORE

Yeah, the Mint suddenly got quite coy with their product schedule… ant at a time when they have even less products to sell .. no Prez $, no First Spouse .. I gave up on them a while back .. the last most expensive coin I bought from them was the 2014 Platinum proof in order to complete at least one theme (Preamble series) .

And like you said, the Mint could do away with the NA $1 C&C sets.. which would be a shame since they don’t have to do an extra process this year to make the EU $1 … I like them and have the previous years’ sets. It is the only one I was prepared to keep buying from the Mint.and hopefully they will keep it going. If not I will buy the EU set this year … and see what the following years bring .. would have been nice in sets with the Jim Thorpe and the space themed ones coming up in 18 ans 19 ..

Ernesto July 3, 2017 at 4:19 pm

The no household limit is a mistake, again!! Start with maybe a 5 set limit for the first week & then take off the order limits.

yorbasasa July 3, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Is this set one year type or will issue every year ? Not really interesting over supply. It is uncirculated set no silver contain. If you want resell it to coin dealer ,they might not buy it .

RODNEY MOORE July 3, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Yorbasasa-
It is a safe bet that the 225th anniversary set will only be made one year. No one will be celebrating the 225th anniversary next year.

Michael Irwin July 4, 2017 at 9:31 am

This is kind of ludicrous, having a subscription for the annual Silver Proof Set, these coins are all ready in that set. They have just made a new box to put them in . Mike, are they bumping up the mintage or wasn’t there a limit in the first place ?

RODNEY MOORE July 4, 2017 at 10:19 am

Michael Irwin-
I don’t think these will be in the silver proof set for two different reasons: they aren’t silver and they are especially enhanced. These are different from all the other sets because they are the special “enhanced” version. The only way to get these is by buying this set because as of right now they aren’t in any other set being offered.
That’s my understanding of it, anyways.

Lee July 5, 2017 at 2:27 am

what other years have they done the enhanced coins?

RODNEY MOORE July 5, 2017 at 9:44 am

Lee, They did the 2014 Kennedy, The 2013 silver Eagle at least one year for a special set, and Native American $1. That’s all that I am aware of but there may and probably are others. Maybe someone else will comment that is more knowledgeable. Both the Kennedy and Silver Eagle are very nice and instantly recognizable with the differences. I collect both of those but don’t collect the NA $ so I don’t know how well those look.

Jerry Shearman July 9, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Again , the U.S. Mint will be issuing a coin/set with no household limits . What a surprise ! When will the Mint have some thoughts regarding true collectors interest ? We are not in the hobby for profit or greed , but for the love of coins .

coinstar July 9, 2017 at 1:31 pm

a mintage of 225,000 is a very high mintage. even if just one person bought all the sets, it would take years to sell. A mintage below 1,000 is what is called a heavy hitter, something the u.s. mint should think about doing.

Andy July 9, 2017 at 3:35 pm

The photo supplied by the mint looks just like the 2005 to 2010 satin finish mint sets, that can be purchased for slightly over face. Give the fact that this set no longer includes presidential dollars, or the 2009 copper Lincoln cents, what is the point of this set? Control the quality of mint set coins and packaging, Britain and Canada have been doing so for decades.

Seth Riesling July 9, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Jerry Shearman –

Amen! I agree totally with your comment. The Mint should have a household limit on all limited edition products for the first day at least to be fair to all.

-NumisDudeTx

yorbasasa July 9, 2017 at 7:44 pm

It will never sold out. High price with high mintage is the problem. Look back on Reagan CC SET. Still sit on mint vault. Because quarter is a quarter why they are selling 10 times of face value. Also the main point: lack of new and youth collectors.

RODNEY MOORE July 10, 2017 at 10:37 am

@yorbasasa
You say it won’t sell out but I’m not to sure about that. I suppose we’ll see in a few weeks. I collect Kennedy half dollars and I want the set for that only. With my luck the set will sell out immediately meaning that I will have to pay a premium to get the coin that I collect, so it is a concern.
If they don’t sell enhanced quarters except in this set, that will be one reason alone for it to sell out. Plus, some people usually get the enhanced Native American $1 so that is another group of people that will want the set – especially if it is available no other way as seems to be the case right now.
The companies that normally cause the sell-outs did real well on the recent congrats set and I think they will buy up these sets within the hour if not the minute. I’m not taking any chances and I’ll try to order it exactly at noon (even though that didn’t help me any when the congrats set was put up for sale).

Chuck July 11, 2017 at 9:34 pm

O.K. This set could be nice. I find it difficult to get excited about many modern coin sets. I would be really excited if the Mint would move the date and mint mark back to the face of the Native American dollar. I guess that is too much to ask for.

GREAT COLLECTING GANG !!