Congratulations Set’s Appeal Broadened with 2017-S Proof Silver Eagle (Updated)

by Mike Unser on April 4, 2017 · 99 comments

The U.S. Mint widened the appeal for this year’s Congratulations Set, pulling coin collectors into the fold of wanting one not just for gift-giving but also for themselves.

2017 Congratulations Set

The 2017 Congratulations Set’s folder is congratulatory-themed with silver and gold ribbons. The special “S” Mint proof Silver Eagle is encapsulated inside on the right with the left fold having an area to write a personalized message. A certificate of authenticity is printed on the back of the folder, while coin specifications appear on the back of a protective sleeve that wraps around the folder.

Produced annually since 2013, the sets have — until now — always included the year’s standard proof American Silver Eagle. This year’s set includes a special one that’ll have a lower mintage. Coin collectors will want one for that reason alone, and more will buy just to maintain a full run of Silver Eagles by year.

Congratulations Sets had always featured the years proof Silver Eagle from West Point, bearing the facility’s "W" mint mark. In a compelling change, the 2017 set has a proof Silver Eagle from the San Francisco Mint with an "S" mint mark.

The latest available U.S. Mint sales figures have last year’s made-to-order Congratulations Set at just 2,374. The debuting set from 2013 ended with the highest sales at 18,347. This year’s set should top those easily because of the "S" Proof Silver Eagle, although its maximum is established at 75,000.

The U.S. Mint also said that the 2017-S Proof American Silver Eagle will be available as a part of the 2017 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set. Its limit hasn’t been announced but last year’s set has sales of 39,166 with 50,000 possible. Minimally, it looks like there will be at least 125,000 "S" Proof Silver Eagles available.

Sales of the standard West Point Mint’s 2017-W Proof American Silver Eagle kicked off on March 23 for $53.95. More than 233,000 sold in the first day. (See photos of the 2017-W Proof Silver Eagle.)

2017-W Proof American Silver Eagle, coin, case and cert

CoinNews photo of an individually 2017-W Proof American Silver Eagle, its case, packaging and certificate of authenticity

Released today at noon ET for $54.95, buy the 2017 Congratulations Set directly from the United States Mint right here, or call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). There is no household order limit.

Update (April 5): The U.S. Mint on April 5 at 10:08 a.m. ET sent news editors the following notice about the set’s status: "Sales attrition from cancellations, returns and credit card declinations could result in a very limited quantity being made available for sale."

a Bob April 5, 2017 at 10:29 am

I would suggest creating an account and keeping a credit card on file with the mint. I had no issue putting three in my bracket at noon EST then checking out. All I had to do was confirm my order and enter the three digit code from the back of my card.
My order was confirmed at 12:02. I would have been complete at 12:01 but I forgot that I had created an account recently so I had to double check all of my data on the confirmation page.

I thought that there was a limit of 100 units per on line transaction. Would be interesting to know for sure.

bunker April 5, 2017 at 11:36 am

If large orders are being filled first, there is a smell to this.

RoosterMI April 5, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Liberty gold tomorrow with no household limits. It will be interesting to see what happens. Hard to compare but just wondering how big these players might be.

Synoptic 12 April 5, 2017 at 1:14 pm

-a Bob
Exact process I had taken, no issues.

joe#2 April 5, 2017 at 1:52 pm

These, I’m sure will acquire the “gorgeous” milk spots. I’m glad i passed.

Chas Barber April 5, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Synoptic12 I find it unbelievable that YOU have never had any issue w/the US Mint, never been shut out, have a glich, have a cart emptied on YOU, hit a sellout, have a rude operator, etc…..guess you know a back door or the Baptist method….regardless the Mint besides PROFITS has a duty @ least to try to promote coin collecting (sale$ go up, etc., aftermarket) & their BS sales procedures & lack of consistency is ridiculous. I used to care, I used to get upset, now I can wait & buy, just got that “rare” 2016 HR Ag medal for $48.9 with shipping on eBay, a 2am close helped but I noted the seller also had 2 for BIN @$149.95……covered in moss

Richard April 5, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Really screwing over the average collector by installing “no limits” on purchases of these low minted ASE’s – not happy w/paying nearly 3x issue price.

Hungyip April 5, 2017 at 2:56 pm

I will passed any gold coin issued by any mints, reasons : HARD TO SELL , gold coin hard to make 50%+ profit, the commission for buying/selling. 100 k Mintage is way too much.

Hungyip April 5, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Did the owner of Bullion exchange had relationship to President Donald Trump. CIA or FBI need to investigate. That company had so many for sale on ebay. What the heck of profit.

Synoptic 12 April 5, 2017 at 3:08 pm

@ Chas Barber

That comment was uncalled for as being directed at Robert Chambers. In reality, no I’ve never been shut out and I’ve never, not ever experienced any such negativity from any of the personnel from the United states Mint. I was on ‘back order’ status on the 2011 (100,000) in which I received. If the order was not to be fulfilled, there would be not anything I could do. However, I certainly would not destroy the reputation of the United States Mint due to “not” receiving the merchandise.

The United States Mint is a business footed upon increasing income at the best way they believe may increase revenue. Most all businesses operate in the same way, only other corporations use discounts as a means to appease the consumer. Again, the United States Mint reserves the right to change any program they deem appropriate, whether to raise more revenue or in trying different approaches to gather the most profit. In fact, if you have perused some of the U.S. Mint release statements adjoined to future plans, you or any would know the course which has been magnified for some time. If one cannot grasp the content of such commentary relating to the United State’s Mint business structure, we cannot assist them.

The United States Mint has many programs directed at the younger generation as to try to enhance the area of numismatics. In this respect, the U.S. Mint has followed a path which they believe may infuse, or bring interest to the benefit of many. The marketing team attached to the United States Mint has continually strived to appease the many in the way of currency, and coin. One must realize that the numismatic field is not associated with children, rather the many hoping to gain a profit, “Just as the United States Mint”. The U.S. Mint is not obligated to any, nor do they have to provide account in the way they conduct business protocol. If the continuum of complainers were on the opposite side, there certainly would be far more chaos. I’m a member of the Assembly of Yahweh, as there is no basis for you to interject the Baptist way, demeaning those that walk in the light. We arrive at the front door and shall leave the same way.

michael angiolillo April 5, 2017 at 3:41 pm

joe#2 – You are right about that! Check your 2016 American Liberty Silver medals and your 2014 high relief kennedys. Mine have milk spots. I guess technology has not improved since the 1960s.

joe#2 April 5, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Michael Angiolillo, Correct. Also my Royal Canadian wildlife series have the same issues. Nice coin mind you, But didn’t want to spend $60 (w/ shipping ) to have the same issues.

Eddy April 5, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Order two sets,shipped today!!

Robert F Hall April 5, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Buy me one and I’ll pay you by end of month

Seth Riesling April 5, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Synoptic12 –

Interesting discourse on the US Mint & you are basically right for sure. I too have had no major problems with my particular orders over the past four decades – just a few minor things that were taken care of for me by customer service protocol. I think the main problem for those collectors who haven’t had many dealings with the U.S. Mint is that they are a 100-percent government monopoly with all their products. Unlike most large & older world Mints that are now run as corporations with a business CEO, COO etc. Some government Mints have actually sold out to private companies to produce their circulating coins & commemorative issues & they have a wider range of latitude in their business practices than the US Mint that is controlled by the US Constitution giving all coinage matters to the purview of the US Congress & Federal laws. If a new collector doesn’t understand this situation, then conflict is due to break out unfortunately.

Happy collecting to all from a Zionist with a biblical first name (Seth). Praise G-D!

NumisDudeTX

a Bob April 5, 2017 at 10:39 pm

I’m surprised that so many people feel like they were not given adiquate notice/opportunity I saw this product discussed here as well a Coin World, Coin Week, Mint New Blog and on the Mint website.
Perhaps they will offer it as an individual item later this year in addition to the silver set. We are in for a few more surprises this year.

Alex April 5, 2017 at 11:07 pm

I have to say, there have been quite a few times now, being a collector as well as someone who can spot an opportunity to make a little scratch, that all I can do is laugh at those of you who complain, complain, complain about everything the Mint does.

On the real, I’m able to spot these sell-out scenarios a mile away. I make sure that if I want a certain product, I’m prepared with my info in my Mint profile correctly filled out. Credit card info on file. I make sure my internet connection is good. Who in the heck still calls in an order??? Really!?! This ain’t the the freaking 80s.

I really do get a good laugh, but then I realize it’s YOU that’s the problem. THE WHINY, ALWAYS UNSATISFIED, IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE ARE THE PROBLEM WITH THIS HOBBY. If coin collecting is dying, it’s because you don’t understand that you can’t just have everything you want and more with no effort, no loss, no disappointment involved. Quit crying and go collect Pokémon or something. Personally, I like the challenge. I like the upset. I like that not everyone can have one of everything…

Synoptic 12 April 5, 2017 at 11:56 pm

@ Seth

You may have more mileage in dealing with the U.S. Mint than myself but basically I am aligned to the same insight you present. In fact, I can clearly corroborate verbatim all conversations to the United States Mint going back to 2011. I enjoy talking to the women employed by the U.S. Mint who have always conversed with me in a good light, throwing in some humor at times. The negative feedback directed at the U.S. Mint is tiresome to hear, and read, as I place no credence into into that lane of thinking. I’m well aware of Seth being a biblical name, only Seth did not delve into numismatics like us; no offense.

I would not know much of the latter part of your synopsis relating to monopolizing but I’ll take your word. My order already shipped. I thought I would be waiting a week before shipment, due to the many orders being filled at once.

Synoptic 12 April 6, 2017 at 12:08 am

ADDENDUM:
To All Those Demeaning The United States Mint:
I do not ever recall being connected via telephone to any foreign or alien representative stationed on the phone lines for the past ten years or more. If any have, please state that here.

Alex April 6, 2017 at 1:09 am

Here’s the other thing. A household order limit does nothing!!! Almost exactly this time last year, everyone was crying about the 10 order limit with the gold Mercury Dime…

Hewhodontknow April 6, 2017 at 7:30 am

@Alex
You’re absolutely right. God bless you and God bless America!

Coin Girl April 6, 2017 at 11:40 am

Just got my S coin today. Beautiful no spots

deltabob April 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm

greetings
I placed my order for the Congratulations set yesterday at 12 noon. My order showed processing for I think several hours and then went to backorder status. After doing the math on some order numbers that were listed on coinnewsblog I see orders that were placed after mine have shipped. The Mint got an authorization on my credit card for the total amount. As of a few minutes ago, my order is still in backorder status. I just called my credit card company to see when the authorization had been placed on my card. The time was 12:00:51. 51 seconds after 12 noon. I am dumbfounded that my coins are showing backordered. The quantity I ordered is for my own person use, gifts for Christmas and birthdays. I did not order an outlandish number of coins. BTW, I did print my order confirmation at the end of check out and I received the email from the Mint at 12:30 letting me know that they received my order.

deltabob April 6, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Sorry, in my post I said yesterday but I meant to say two days ago(4/4). Just an FYI for everyone, the Mints web site worked flawlessly for me. Even the check out process was smooth as silk. All I needed to do was add my security code from my CC and BAM, I was finished.

Seth Riesling April 6, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Synoptic354 –

You are definitely right that the US Mint has never outsourced its call center to any foreign country, but their used to be a US government call center in Lanham, Maryland with Federal USA government employees answering the phone. The Mint outsourced its call center & fulfillment center warehouse operations to private vendor companies in the 1990s (both contracts are currently held by PFSweb Corp.) But the Mint does purchase packaging from Asian countries & some blank planchets from Australia. Some early folder-type sets were also printed in the United Kingdom & state so on the back of the folders at the bottom. The Mint also had its US Mint logo tote bags made by a company in Vietnam just a few years ago, which caused outrage among many Vietnam Veterans who were Mint customers at the time. The Mint is fully globally-integrated as such.

-NumisDudeTX

Synoptic 12 April 6, 2017 at 12:54 pm

@Seth

We talked about the Maryland location which I’m aware of. Actually, that is how I started ordering coins from the U.S. Mint. I know nothing of the outsourcing but it stands to reason that every penny counts, in that many amount to millions.

* Where did you obtain the 354 next to my name, just curious. A question I’d like to pose as you may know. Seeing that the time frame on the initial offering of the
2017 Congratulations Set was a small window; some saying 120 seconds, varying to 3 1/2 minutes. Would you know how I can determine when my order was placed (Time) seeing that it was the fastest sellout > ‘I was interested in knowing, if at all possible.

Seth Riesling April 6, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Synoptic 12 –

Our paths must have crossed at some time in the numerous numismatic blog websites like coinworld.com.
If you didn’t place your order by computer, (which would have the date & time stamp on your online order confirmation) & you called in the order, you can call back & ask the rep to read the exact time your order was accepted by their order-taking computer system. Or you can go to the Mint’s website & scroll down & press on “Live chat available” section that will initiate a online text conversation with a rep & at the end of chat it gives you the option to have the entire chat session sent to your email inbox. Good luck.

-NumisDudeTX

Synoptic 12 April 6, 2017 at 2:46 pm

@Seth
Thanks very much. I ordered online via PC; receiving the order next Wednesday, the 12th. Where do I see the date and time stamp, in my email confirmation or the U.S. Mint order section? Tried searching for it but must not be very adept at finding the time. I’ll look again. I noticed your post on Coinworld, thanks.
*There are many irate, bitter people screaming. If one really looks at the entire scope of collecting, there should be no animosity toward the U.S. Mint. Not that I wish to delve upon principle but the U.S. Mint is far wiser than the lot of grumblers combined.

Chas Barber April 6, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Seth & Synoptic, sorry for any PERSONAL insult u may perceive….BUT, regardless–> as to the Mint, I have had many useless call reps & many incidents of their BS in buying from website. I also have been doing this for over 50 years. I got GSA coin$, I got Botainical nickel sets, IKe C&C (Truman what a cluster…come on…you can’t admit that!) & lots of other ‘tuff’ issues, the mint lack of a HH limit on a $50 item with only 75k mintage= creates false monopolies & manipulates or allows manipulators to try to control a market, in the long run who knows, the mint is in it to make $$ I agree, but despite their outreach their ineptness is outshined by very few other Gov’t outfits. I must say the stores @ Denver, etc., are great w;great help & into it….the call operators mostly sound like they can’t wait to go home….. And they are so bad they always send you an email that an item is now available the day AFTER it might have ret’d for 7 minutes….

Synoptic 12 April 6, 2017 at 4:00 pm

@ Chas Barber

To address your concerns may outweigh any perception you may seem to be viable. I will not challenge your experience nor intervene about the past problems you’ve experienced. In the many years of calling the U.S. Mint, at least twelve or more, I’ve never, not once experienced any negativity from any U.S. Mint representative. In fact, I’ve engaged in many conversations encompassing humor, friendliness, courtesy as packaged in a business environment. As mentioned earlier, I can corroborate verbatim each conversation in the past ten years with the U.S. Mint. I just not have seen nor heard of these complaints but as for some they may be warranted contingent upon their attitude. In reading into many forums and looking at many complaints, I find some irritating language and procedure directed at the U.S. Mint whereas I would not appreciate. For instance, I’ve read where people call the U.S. Mint everyday for their order status as to whether there has been any changes. one can imagine the amount culminated in a week should there be no resolution. The bottom line vis we arrive in the world with nothing and leave the same way.

RODNEY MOORE April 6, 2017 at 5:32 pm

A couple of people have said ” I had no trouble at all ” as if anyone that mentions a website problem is either lying or stupid. Well, duh, many other people had no trouble either (obviously, or they wouldn’t have sold out, right??) That doesn’t mean anyone is lying or incompetent to the point of not being able to make an online purchase. I was on the phone with a customer service rep when the coin reached sold out status (unavailable, which in essence means the same thing) and that was at 12:02. So I know firsthand how long it took to sell out. Seeing as how the coin sold out within 2 minutes, it would only take the slightest problem with a computer or internet connection for a person to lose the chance to purchase it. I live in a rural area with slow DSL and that’s why I called, thinking that would be better than trying to do it online. That didn’t seem to work for me either.
It seems we have one person on here that is intent on telling everyone how they are wrong about one thing or another. It doesn’t matter how many poetic flowery words a troll uses, a troll is a troll. No one will wonder who that is here.
I think the purpose of a comment section is to express individual opinions. These said opinions might be right, wrong, or in between – but everyone is entitled to have them.. Some people just don’t get that, evidently.

JB April 7, 2017 at 7:55 am

Still waiting to hear where one might find that time stamp. Three days later and my order is still processing.

bunker April 7, 2017 at 9:28 am

Not everyone can sit on the phone or computer until the clock strikes noon. A no limit, low mintage release is a gift to speculators, not collectors.

Synoptic 12 April 7, 2017 at 11:46 am

@ Bunker

How do you equate a ‘no limit’ adjoined to “low mintage” in the same sense? Furthermore, why would “either”-“or” pertain to ‘speculators’ only?

bunker April 7, 2017 at 1:21 pm

No limit number on orders, I think that is obvious from the thread. Pulling some kind of semantics argument is pretty lame but you think you’re a real genius.

Synoptic 12 April 7, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Faster than you’ll ever be.

Kenneth April 8, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Wow! I’ve seen a lot of emotion here in the past couple of days. Coin collectors can be very passionate! 🙂
I am neither angry nor upset that I didn’t get any, but immediately came to terms with the fact that I will never own one of these. Someone stated that you can get one later in the limited edition silver proof set. Though I can afford it, I will not be purchasing that set just to get the silver eagle. I also neither condone nor do I support the ‘flippers’, though I am sure I am in the minority, otherwise, they wouldn’t exist. I already thought the Mint’s price was high. Somebody once said, “a fool and his money are soon parted”. I have better things to do with mine and have moved on. I hope others can do the same and be happy!

Synoptic 12 April 8, 2017 at 6:44 pm

@ Kenneth
You certainly direct your honesty, and present a most realistic view based upon a somewhat hostile atmosphere connected to the release of the 2017 Congratulations Set. There has been some conjecture as to the process taken by the U.S. Mint in providing a limited window of opportunity for the collector. However one may view the totality of events, surely there should be no animosity or bitterness directed at any, more so the United States Mint. Naturally, there would be many who would disagree as perceiving the aforesaid as a bias opinion, bordering upon prejudicial treatment. Surely, many are overcome with emotion when trying to purchase what may be considered to be an exception, or valuable inclusion to the American Silver eagle Set. In not being successful to place an order, an abundance of criticism streams forward initially blaming the United States Mint, then directing their unwarranted comments to others.

We do not view you as a minority relevant to the view that you have clearly demonstrated in a positive light. Furthermore, the synopsis you present could not be more forthcoming enhanced by a clearly professional opinion; demonstrating a spirit refined more than the many. Thank you very much for the accurate insight you have brought forth.

Mike April 10, 2017 at 11:36 am

4/10/17 Just called mint now my coins on back order. Ordered at 12:00 . Got order confirmation 12:01 on 4th Another confirmation​ on line at 12:04 . Did I miss something???? No answer to my question, when???

joera April 11, 2017 at 1:56 am

Some of the graded PCGS 70s are going for $190 to around $230. I’ll be watching those prices and see where they go. Up or down?

Seth Riesling April 11, 2017 at 3:10 am

joera –

Unfortunately, the price will go down as the Mint issues otter product options with this coin such as the LESPS later in the year. Sell now if you have an extra one. I sold one raw at $150.

-NumisDudeTX

Heritage April 12, 2017 at 9:09 pm

To Alex:
You ‘da Man!
You are very correct in what you stated, and more exactly, in how you did it. Nice job!

deltabob April 18, 2017 at 3:21 pm

My backorder for the Congratulations set just shipped from the Mint with a delivery day of Thursday

Kerrie April 18, 2017 at 7:23 pm

The Coin Vault is selling this set for $249.98. I wish everybody would not buy from any of these third party vendors. I think they are robbing the collectors!

joera April 19, 2017 at 10:06 am

Old Mike from HSN was upset because he said he couldn’t get five sets for himself. But he had some for sale graded by ANACS for crazy money! He never mentioned that the US Mint was going to sale more “S” Proof Silver Eagles in the Limited Edition Silver Proof Set. What is he called by some? Mike “Sold Out Limited Edition” Mezack?

Robert F Hall April 20, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Did anyone get my coin for me? I’m on a fixed income and would appreciate it if you would purchase the coin for me and I will pay for it later in the month

Robert F Hall April 20, 2017 at 2:31 pm

I think Mike uses the phrase ” First Day Of Issue “.

Robert F Hall April 20, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Who will sell me a set by the end of the month? I will pay 10% over cost!

bobby May 4, 2017 at 9:00 am

if you could get everything you wanted when you wanted . in the condition you wanted. collecting really wouldn’t be much fun.