2016 Uncirculated Silver Eagle Scores First Day Sales of 126,902

by Mike Unser on December 2, 2016 · 14 comments

30th Anniversary edge of 2016-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle

2016-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagles have incused edge lettering

This year’s uncirculated Silver Eagle with its anniversary edge lettering moved strong out of the gate.

Orders for the 2016-W American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin totaled 126,902 pieces in the first day, according to the United States Mint.

It will outperform the start of last year’s edition which opened with four-day sales of 127,872. Before then, the first reported sales of the previous three coins reached:

• 106,349 in four days for the 2014-dated coin;
  • 104,570 in seven days for the 2013-dated coin; and
  • 123,801 in four days for the 2012-dated coin.

After not having been produced for two years, pent-up demand supported the 2011-W Uncirculated Silver Eagle which logged five-day sales of 184,967.

Similar to past years, demand will decide how many coins sell. There are no mintage limits or household ordering limits. Below is a table showing how the series has performed since it was introduced. Sales figures include all standard versions, including those sold individually as well as those purchased as part of numismatic sets.

Year Sales / Mintages
2006 466,573
2007 710,299
2008 533,757
2009 Not Sold
2010 Not Sold
2011 409,927
2012 230,872
2013 222,091
2014 253,169
2015 223,897

Available for $44.95, buy this year’s coin directly from the U.S. Mint’s online store, located here, or call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

Seth Riesling December 2, 2016 at 4:32 pm

This article doesn’t mention it, but these $1 coins are the Burnished Uncirculated version of the .9993 fine silver ASE coins.
They have a special finish that the bullion version does not have. The Mint used to advertise this version as “One Ounce of Burnished Beauty” on its website a few years ago.

-NumisDudeTX

Mark Rex December 2, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Does anyone know if sales of this product have to end on December 30 or December 31, 2016? Or could they be sold into 2017?

Seth Riesling December 2, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Mark Rex –

All US Mint coins & sets, except the two commemorative coin program coins allowed by law each year, can be sold into next year & beyond. The Mint still has products from 2007 available for purchase now!

-NumisDudeTX

Mammoth December 2, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Clarification:
Although orders for the 2016-W American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin totaled 126,902 pieces in the first day, orders from flippers included 100,000 of those sales – while the remainder of these coins were ordered by people who actually collect coins.

You’re welcome.
-Mammoth

Charlie 1952 December 2, 2016 at 10:36 pm

If they keep selling at the pace they are the mint will be out of what they produced by the 15th of this month. They won’t make it till next year.

RODNEY MOORE December 4, 2016 at 7:37 am

Does anyone know what the mintage will be on this coin? It will be interesting to see what the final numbers are and if they sell out pretty fast.
I ordered one for myself for my collection and then I ordered an extra one in a separate box on the off chance that it might increase in value. That way, I can sell the mint-sealed box later if that turns out to be the case.
Funds are tight for me right now since I just sent in a batch of coins to NGC for grading so I opted for the $4.95 economy shipping. Those orders are not pulled for shipping until 2 days later compared to next day delivery orders where they pull them immediately for shipping.
I am wondering if I should have gotten next-day shipping on at least one of the coins and if that really matters. I’m relatively new to coin collecting but it seems that within the last couple of years some of the nicest coins were ones that were ordered from the mint the first day they were offered for sale. The theory being that the first coins struck with new dies will be better than later ones. I’m interesting in hearing feedback on that, do you guys (and gals) think it matters if the coins were pulled immediately or a couple of days later? Of course, who knows if they will sell them in the order they were struck, or if someone at the mint snags the first quantity (?) struck.

Charlie 1952 December 4, 2016 at 2:13 pm

It has been my experience working in several factories in my life that you actually get the last ones made shipped out first because that is the way they stack them as they are made. Like the bullion silver eagles, box 1 is the last one to get shipped because it is the first one put in the storage. These don’t have an expiration date on them, they don’t spoil, so I would imagine that is the way they stack them. Thai is one reason I don’t agree with the pcgs first strike label. I don’t think they are getting the low number boxes in the first 30 days.

RODNEY MOORE December 4, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Charlie, I agree with you about the first strike label being worthless. First Strike, Early Releases, First Releases all are worthless. For one, it spans thirty days! Even if they actually did ship out first the ones made in the first thirty days, the quality could be all over the map as the dies wear and are replaced over that time period. Plus, you can get a coin from a fresh die change after the first month and right up until almost the end of the run.
It’s another gimmick by third party graders to get $15 for every coin that they put the sentence on. I actually think about this a lot. Mainly how to get the word out that us coin collectors should quit paying for the label, and convincing the bigger players not to play the game either.
I currently have an order in process of being graded at NGC. In the parcel I had a mint sealed box of 2012 San Francisco Eagle set and also a mint sealed box of 2014 High Relief Clad kennedy 50th Anniversayr sets. I stipulated that I wouldn’t pay the fee for first release to be put on them even though they qualified. i know the special blue label costs extra but I am unsure if they put the designation on the label at no extra charge or not. I guess I will find out when they get back.
The 5 sets or ten coins in the Kennedy coins would have been an extra (!) $150 for those meaningless words to be on the labels. It’s a worthless designation and the third party graders should be ashamed at the scheme.
They way I see it, the coin is either a good coin or not and the grade it gets speaks for itself.

Scott the Robot December 5, 2016 at 1:25 pm

In other words – this coin is not collectible. The mintage limit and unique design associated with the 2015 Platinum Eagle (4,000) and the 20th Anniversary Reverse Proof Gold Eagle (10,000) really made those coins special and interesting. That being said, I understand the US Mint has an interest in selling as many of these as it can, and I appreciate that the US Mint’s coin programs are self-sustaining and do not drain tax payer dollars, so I do not completely blame the US Mint. I think a happy medium would have been to create a separate “set” with a product limit of perhaps 50,000 or less celebrating the 30th Anniversary (perhaps a gold AE and silver AE with a unique design)? Oh well.

RODNEY MOORE December 5, 2016 at 1:52 pm

For they 30th anniversary they should have made a special bi-metallic design with the main center part silver with a gold rim. This would have lady liberty on one side and the eagle and stars on the other side still in silver. The text around the rim would be in the gold part. They could have figured out how to keep the circumference the same as the silver Eagle and the gold content would probably work out to about a 1/4 ounce or less so the coin could be affordable.
Now THAT would have been something!

Charlie 1952 December 5, 2016 at 2:06 pm

What about a 4 or 5 coin set of silver eagles with unique finishes from the Denver mint. They haven’t made a Denver minted silver eagle yet. It seems the mint missed out on a lot of possibilities for the 30th anniversary. The edge lettering just doesn’t seem adequate for the 30th anniversary. The mint put a lot more effort into the baseball hall of fame. The eagle program is pretty much a main staple for the mint every year.

RODNEY MOORE December 5, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Charlie, I agree with you once again.
Aside from getting a few silver eagles when i was a 18, I Just started collecting coins a little over a year ago, and that was with the Eagle sets. I got the 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013 sets. I went whole hog and got both the raw coin sets and then bought the same sets in duplicate to have graded. Boy! I sure was looking forward to the 30th anniversary to buy a raw set to keep, a set to grade, and a set to sit on and maybe re-sale later.
But no, they didn’t have a “set” per se, just the weak edge lettering. It’s a huge let down as I thought for sure they’d have a set like the 06 or maybe a big set like the ’11. They didn’t even match the 2013 set which wasn’t a anniversary if I recall correctly!

RonnieBGood December 5, 2016 at 6:05 pm

Hi Rodney,
Welcome to the hobby!
To answer your questions directly: There are No Mintage Limits, No Product Limits and No Household Limits on this 30 Anniversary coin!
You instincts are correct with regards to ordering faster shipping. The mint did a study to prove that coins can be minted months in advance and can be pulled in any order. So faster shpiping gains you no advantage. Happy Collecting!

Loren December 23, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Faster shipping means it gets out of the distribution center first and may mean it gets knocked around in shipping less….Hopefully.some of my products have been packed better than others