2015 John F. Kennedy Coin and Chronicles Set Release

by Mike Unser on September 16, 2015 · 74 comments

On deck for release later today is a new Coin & Chronicles Set honoring John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States. Featuring a reverse proof $1 coin, a one-ounce silver medal and a 5-cent stamp, this limited-edition set for $57.95 will sell quickly.

2015 John F. Kennedy Coin and Chronicles Set

The 2015 JFK Coin & Chronicles Set includes a 1964 stamp, a special reverse proof $1 coin, a one-ounce .999 pure silver medal, and an informational booklet

This year’s first two sets sold out within 15 minutes of their launch. The JFK set should last longer since nearly three times more are available. Its product limit was raised to 50,000 from an already higher 25,000 and its household ordering limit was trimmed to 2 from 5. Those changes happened after this year’s first set sold out faster than the Mint expected.

Sales of the 2015 John F. Kennedy Coin & Chronicles Set begin today at noon Eastern Time. Held in its brown presentation folder are:

• One reverse proof 2015-P John F. Kennedy Presidential $1 Coin.
  • One John F. Kennedy Presidential Silver Medal.
  • One John F. Kennedy 1964 5c postage stamp.
  • An information booklet chronicling JFK’s life, military career and presidency.

Sets Commanding Premiums

Commemorating Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower, this year’s first two Coin & Chronicles Sets are selling in the secondary market at prices ranging from about $160 to $220. Demand for them is driven mostly by their exclusive reverse proof dollar.

2015-P Reverse Proof John F. Kennedy Presidential $1 Coin

U.S. Mint image of the 2015-P Reverse Proof John F. Kennedy Presidential $1 Coin, which is within the JFK Coin & Chronicles Set. The coin was designed and sculpted by Don Everhart, and bears a unique reverse proof finish.

The U.S. Mint has struck Presidential $1 Coins since 2007. This latest set’s reverse proof is only the third from the dollar series, however. Opposite of standard proofs, reverse proofs have frosty fields and raised mirror-like devices.

Photo of 2015-P Reverse Proof Harry S. Truman Presidential $1 Coin

Photo of the 2015-P Reverse Proof Harry S. Truman Presidential $1 Coin from the first 2015-dated Chronicles Set

Photo of 2015-P Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential $1 Coin

Photo of the 2015-P Reverse Proof Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential $1 Coin from the second 2015-dated Chronicles Set

Then there’s the medal. It’s struck on the same silver blanks as those used for the Mint’s flagship American Silver Eagle products. Its designs match those of the JFK bronze inauguration medal from 1961. Obverses or heads side offer a profile of the president.

John F. Kennedy Bronze Inaugural Medal

These two photos show the obverse and reverse John F. Kennedy Bronze Inaugural Medal from 1961

John F. Kennedy Presidential Silver Medal

Here is an image from the United States Mint that shows the John F. Kennedy Presidential Silver Medal

Reverses show the Presidential Seal with the burning torches of liberty on each side and the following excerpt from JFK’s Inaugural Address: "WE SHALL PAY ANY PRICE, BEAR ANY BURDEN, MEET ANY HARDSHIP, SUPPORT ANY FRIEND, OPPOSE ANY FOE TO ASSURE THE SURVIVAL OF LIBERTY. JOHN F. KENNEDY."

The U.S. Mint in Philadelphia makes the silver medals and the reverse proof dollars, but only the dollars have a ‘P’ mint mark.

Photo of Harry S. Truman Presidential Silver Medal

Photo of the Harry S. Truman Presidential Silver Medal from the first 2015-dated Chronicles Set

Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Silver Medal

Photo of the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Silver Medal from the second 2015-dated Chronicles Set

Ordering

Order the 2015 John F. Kennedy Coin & Chronicles Set from the United States Mint’s online product page right here. Place phone orders using 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

This year’s final set commemorates Lyndon B. Johnson. It has an on-sale date of Oct. 27, 2015 and is listed for the same $57.95 price. It will include a LBJ silver medal, reverse proof $1 coin, and U.S. postage stamp.

Christopher Williams September 20, 2015 at 8:08 pm
biggun September 20, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Christopher, wasn’t there a time when E-bay got all worked up about this presale stuff? It was back a ways and I don’t remember what the item was, but I believe it was a coin or coin set. anyone remember?

Hewhodontknow September 20, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Its like the us mint picks on Kennedy collectibles to the point of making these worth less than the others. So sad that the mint keeps on ruining such an icon figure by their greedy descions…maybe the conspiracy continues ..who knows

Christopher Williams September 21, 2015 at 5:05 am

@Biggun.

I can remember when Ebay was cracking down on sellers with Pre-Sale listings if you could not deliver 30 days from when the listing started.

Ebay doesn’t care about anything anymore.

Shill bidding, autograph forgeries, etc. are common-place on Ebay.

It’s all about the dollars.

James B September 21, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Guys, look at this eye-popping eBay listing by a seller named gr8sales93: 181872902358. That’s 14 sets (yes, fourteen) in one Mint-sealed box!!! Price? $1540 or BO. How can one or anyone have 14 sets shipped by the Mint in one sealed box??? Doesn’t the U.S. Mint say household limits are two sets? Can anyone explain this to me, please? I’ll give $5 for anyone who explains this mystery in a clear and rational way!

James B September 21, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Ah, never mind. That’s 7 x 2 sets, not 14 sets in one box. Still, I must wonder how this seller has gotten that many orders in his hands…well, as someone here once said, “friends helped him to get them all…” right, right…

mfin99 September 23, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Just received two Kennedy C&C sets, and I noticed that both the $1 coins had a few small digs/scratches on the value side (side with the denomination). They’re going back. In comparison, both my Truman and Eisenhower looked flawless to me. Has the mint’s quality control slipped?

Kou September 23, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Same as above, anyone else have this issue? There’s a noticeable swirl right above the “1” on the reverse of both my sets!

Mary Jo Stasko September 24, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Ordered my coins last wed at 12:15. Website kept crashing. My order was processing….I called every day to ask why my order was processing. I got the same response, give them time, they are filling orders as they come. I called today asked for a supervisor. I was told that there was no need that they got a new shipment and to rest assured that I would get my order. Fifteen minutes later I get an email that they cancelled my order.
Has anyone else had this problem with the mint? The website crashed many times. i get a confirmation email, spoke to about 8 different people, and got absolutely nowhere! Now I am told to wait until Monday to reorder…so disappointed in the mint!

Christopher Williams September 24, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Why not just log on to the US Mint site right now and order them?

They are still available.

Mary Jo Stasko September 24, 2015 at 9:37 pm

CW on top of everything else, if I order them sooner, it would look like I exceeded the limit,even though I never received any. I am told that I have to wait until the system allows me to order…I cant believe this!

Christopher Williams September 24, 2015 at 9:40 pm

That’s ridiculous!!!!

Dwight September 25, 2015 at 3:47 am

For a 2015 John F. Kennedy Coin and Chronicles Set, the highest price paid was $185.00 each. This occurred last month on August 23, 2015 when ebay seller 1abfer sold four of these sets as Buy It Now pre-sale item #291546710354 for $185.00 each. These were in stark contrast to five days ago on September 20, 2015 when ebay seller yrral4321 sold at losses two 2015 John F. Kennedy Coin and Chronicles Sets each for the incredibly low price of only $8.00 + $5.95 shipping as ebay item #252094023134. Since the official U.S. Mint issue price is $57.95 each, $57.95 – $13.95 = $44.00 Loss per Set. Last month, however, on August 12, 2015, that same ebay seller yrral4321 was able to sell for big profits two each of the 2015 Eisenhower Coin and Chronicles Sets for $219.00 + $6.95 each as item #252053983263. Ironically what had been profitable sales from the two Eisenhower sets were offset this month by losses from the two Kennedy sets. Such are the vagaries and vicissitudes of coin flipping.

biggun September 25, 2015 at 10:34 am

It’s just a shame that us collectors have got to work around these flippers But they are everywhere, in any thing that some one wants to collect. No way of getting around it. My Kennedys have shipped so I shall soon learn if they are scratched.

Christopher Williams September 25, 2015 at 4:04 pm

I received my sets yesterday, but haven’t opened them yet.

biggun September 26, 2015 at 11:11 am

why would anyone go to e-bay for a set if Kennedy C&C when they are still selling at the mink. At least they still list them. They seem to be bringing a sizeable mark up.

Steve September 26, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I think a lot of sets are being returned to the mint, no profit to be made!

Christopher Williams September 26, 2015 at 3:10 pm

I just opened my two sets today and the coins look beautiful.

I guess I got lucky.

John September 27, 2015 at 10:43 pm

One of my kennedys show dark metal from small hole on back.ill keep it

joera October 4, 2015 at 12:50 am

The set is still on sell at the Mint. NOT SOLD OUT! But, let’s just say a “coin show”, said it was “sold out at the U.S. Mint no longer available.” What some people will say or do to make more money.

Christopher Williams October 4, 2015 at 7:06 am

Joera, that would be Mike “Sold Out, Limited Edition” Mezak who last night stated on HSN that the “2015 Kennedy Coin & Chronicles” sets were “Sold Out” at the US Mint.

He claims that his HSN buyers are “smart coin collecting buyers.”

Really?

biggun October 4, 2015 at 9:07 am

got my set of Kennedy and to my untrained eye they look good. I will be keeping these.

Greg October 4, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I ordered 1 right at 11 AM when they became available from the US Mint, then another set a few hours later. The first set arrived in 3 days and LOOKED absolutely perfect possibly even an MS-70 on the $1 coin and at least MS-69 on the silver medal, but the 2nd set was flagged as back ordered and when it arrived the other day the $1 coin had a pin hole size gash on the front and the silver medal looked like a MS 64 at nest. Was very pleased with the 1st set 🙂 but the second set is an embarrassment

joera October 6, 2015 at 7:39 am

Christopher Williams, Well I’m not one of his buyers so I guess I’m not one of the “smart coin collecting buyers” he was talking about. lol As I was watching I just knew he was going to say “SOLD OUT, LIMITED EDITION.”

There was one time he said one of the Quarter Proof Sets were sold out and no longer available at the Mint. At that time they were taking viewer’s calls. One viewer called in and said that the Quarters Proof Set from the year before was in fact still available. Mike “Sold Out, Limited Edition” Mezak said “that was not true.” His reasoning for saying that was that the Quarters Proof Set was from the year before and therefore no longer available the year after it was released. If HSN has “smart coin collecting buyers” why did he not believe the caller’s statement?