American Liberty 2015 High Relief Gold Coin on Sale July 30

by Mike Unser on June 30, 2015 · 15 comments

2015-W $100 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin and Case

2015 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin and Case

Collectors can expect a release date of July 30 for the highly anticipated 2015-W $100 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin, based on newly published pages on the United States Mint’s website.

Other official information such as the coin’s description and limits are also now public. A 50,000 mintage limit has been established. That detail is new since we wrote about the $100 coin last week. There are no household ordering limits in place.

Struck in one-ounce of .9999 fine gold at the U.S. Mint in West Point, the collector coin depicts Lady Liberty on the obverse and an American eagle on the reverse. These same designs, excluding many of the inscriptions, will appear later this year on a companion one-ounce .999 fine American Liberty High Relief Silver Medal.

To account for its higher relief, the $100 gold piece has a slightly smaller diameter at 1.205 inches than the standard 1.287 inches of the American Gold Buffalo and American Gold Eagle.

Its price will get set on July 29, and it can change weekly. The U.S. Mint’s 2015-W $50 Proof American Gold Buffalo Coin is also struck in one-ounce of .9999 fine gold. It’s now $1,540, which is based on a gold average that is within the range of $1,150 to $1,199.99 an ounce.

The Mint’s product page for the $100 American Liberty gold coin is located here.

Jp June 30, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I like the coinage limit, but there should be a household limit. This will make it harder for us average “Joe’s” to get our hands on one. These will sell out quickly! I’d say less than 5 days… I can only hope the Mint has 50,000 of these ready at the start of the sale. None of this “backorder” garbage.

Ilovesilver June 30, 2015 at 3:10 pm

I won’t waste my Bullet on this item, it is not cheap, you might not able to sell on 2nd market, also there many Asian made Fake coin Like Canadian ‘s Superman series etc….

jim June 30, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Still confusing to have 2 coins with 1 oz gold but different $ values. I would consider this coin to be more of a medallion than a monetary coin since it’s being sold only to collectors and otherwise not distributed to the “general public”.

Also still noticing that the silver high relief is no longer on the list so I guess the mint has actually given up on that version.

RonnieBGood June 30, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Hi Jim –
The law that authorized this coin only specified a Gold mintage.
Also if you think about it, most of the coins sold from the US Mint are not issued to the general public. Only the clad penny, nickel, dime & quarter are our circulating mintage. What makes a coin a true “legal tender” coin is that it does have a $ (dollar) value assigned to it by law. Gold & Silver & other (proof, commemorative, bullion, etc.) with an assigned dollar value can be spent as legal tender, however, most coins are worth quite a bit more than their assigned dollar value (like this one).

I am pleased that the mintage has been limited to 50,000. This will be a popular sellout.

Ilovesilver June 30, 2015 at 9:08 pm

too expensive not worth to buy, 50k mintage on $1500 gold coin , would it be double-double like reverse proof dollar coin ? the Answer of course No way!!!
This gold coin absolutely for collector Only! But it might be Orphan unique coin. Unless they are issue every year.

jim June 30, 2015 at 10:26 pm

RBG –
Thanks, I didn’t know a law was passed to authorize this coin. Mike Unser usually documents the laws for new coinage and I catch it then. So either he missed it or I did, probably me.
I’m sorry but I have no respect for this coin. I don’t understand it or it’s purpose and I don’t like it’s design. Whether this is the start of a new series or a one of a kind, the fact that it’s gold has priced me out of the market.

I just recently completed a survey for the mint regarding Mercury Dime and Walking Liberty Half Dollar 100th anniversary coins as well as a Standing Liberty Quarter all in gold. I don’t understand why they feel compelled to use gold to mark the anniversary instead of silver for a silver coin and just proof it or reverse proof it or put out a 3 coin set? The March of Dimes worked just fine in silver. Some of these coins I might like to have, having seen them in my loose change multiple years ago but in gold? Once again I’m priced out of the market.

Rob July 1, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I like the design idea, but this coin should be renamed Anorexic Liberty….

metfanlou July 1, 2015 at 3:43 pm

When it comes right down to it, it is just one ounce of gold. If a collector wants one for a collection, great. But if you just like to have gold for a personal reason, you are much better to buy a one ounce assay bar.

RonnieBGood July 1, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Yeah Rob, I call her the “Barbie” Liberty.

Jim, I know what you mean with the cost. This one was spec’d out in design (& only in Gold) by the Citizen’s Coinage Action Committee (CCAC).
There are still a lot of people that want to invest but have been burned by stocks in the 2008 crash and want to hold a little physical gold that will appreciated above and beyond bar gold.

With all of the coins and medals that have been put out by law and the mint lately, I am pleased that they are producing a lower mintage high relief coin.

RonnieBGood July 1, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Jim, there have been efforts made to improve but when you try to make sense of it all, just remember, it’s always all about the money.

Tinto July 1, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I think there will also be a silver version of this but issued as a medal not legal tender.

Springer July 3, 2015 at 9:50 am

I would have liked it better if the planned mintages were lower. To me 50,000 for a type coin and a one oz. gold coin is a bit to high. Other than being a “High Relief” coin and not a really bad design, what makes this coin different from the commemorative coins? And on those they have a hard time selling 25,000 of those five dollar .2418 oz. gold coins in two finishes and much lower cost.

I also understand the appeal of the 2009 Ultra High Relief double eagle (114,427) because it was a remake, and you could get it in perfect or near perfect condition in high relief. But what series does this coin match? I think the 2016 gold remakes will be a big success, especially the 1/10 oz. But with 50,000 mintage I’m not feeling the need to buy one of these. If sells haven’t topped 10,000 by the time they near closing sells, well maybe.

ken yorke August 4, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Is PCGS going to come out and mess up the Grading system for this coin also
with “Proof Like ” Grading which made my First Strike coin Worthless at the time
values on the coin is ridiculous

John August 6, 2015 at 6:44 am

Ahhh the times and troubles of coin collecting.

The mintage limit isnt bad at 50,000. 40,000 sold a week into it.
Give me the buffalo that sits at 12,000 right now.
$400 over spot, another $400 for a 70.
Now $800 over spot for a collector coin makes me ponder a bit more apprehensive. For $390 more I can get 2 ounces of gold.
Who knows what 10…25..or 50 years will tell. I’m guessing a good return for sure.
But I don’t love the design. I collect for what catches my eye.

John August 6, 2015 at 6:46 am

Ahhh the times and troubles of coin collecting.

The mintage limit isnt bad at 50,000. 40,000 sold a week into it.
Give me the buffalo that sits at 12,000 right now.
$400 over spot, another $400 for a 70.
Now $800 over spot for a collector coin makes me ponder and a bit more apprehensive. For $390 more I can get 2 ounces of gold.
But I don’t love the design. I collect for what catches my eye.