Photos of 2014-W Reverse Proof Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coins

by Mike Unser on July 28, 2014 · 39 comments

It’s a safe bet to assume that the most sought 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar product will be this fall’s release of the 2014 Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection with its four 90% silver coins for $99.95.

2014-W Reverse Proof Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coins

Photos of 2014-W Reverse Proof Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coins taken at the U.S. Mint facility in West Point where they are produced.

Better than clad and cheaper than gold, collectors like silver. The set has that times four with the added lure of coins bearing varying finishes and struck from all U.S. Mint production facilities. Pent-up demand is already building for these sets. Its release follows an already strong-selling 2014 Kennedy Half-Dollar Clad Set and the highly anticipated Aug. 5 debut of the 1964-2014 24K Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Coin.

Commemorating the semicentennial of the Kennedy half-dollar, all the 50th anniversary coins uniquely feature the original 1964 portrait design by Gilroy Roberts. This portrait has changed over the years. Modern coinage shows very noticeable differences in Kennedy’s hair, cheek and chin, and the relief appears lower than Roberts’ original design. Within the 2014 Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection are:

• One reverse proof coin from the U.S. Mint at West Point
  • One proof coin from the U.S. Mint at Philadelphia
  • One enhanced uncirculated coin from the U.S. Mint at San Francisco, and
  • One uncirculated coin from the U.S. Mint at Denver.

Images of these four coins are yet to be published by the U.S. Mint, but we do have photos of the reverse proof. We snapped many shots of the silver coins as they were struck and encapsulated last week at the West Point Mint. Several are below, taken from different angles and under varying lighting conditions. The photos, frankly, do not capture how the coins appear in person — they are far more attractive in hand. But they do, when taken in their entirety, offer a fair representation.

I’ll begin with a few photos of the obverse or heads side of the coin. You’ll notice its reverse proof finish is opposite of that of standard proof coins. The raised designs, in this case the portrait of Kennedy and the surrounding inscriptions, are mirror-like to contrast against a background of a frosted field.

2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin - Obverse

Photo of the obverse of the 2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin

2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin - Obverse, Photo 7

A different view of the obverse

2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coins - Tray, Photo 2

A tray of the reverse proof Kennedy halves. This photo gives a sense of the coin’s relief.

2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin - Obverse, Photo 6

A photo showing a side view of the obverse

Next are a few photos of the reverse or tails side of the coin. This side bears the standard Frank Gasparro rendition of the Presidential Seal, which consists of a heraldic eagle with a shield on its breast, holding a symbolic olive branch and a bundle of 13 arrows. These elements are vibrant in reverse proof.

2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin - Reverse, Photo 1

Photo of the reverse of the 2014-W Reverse Proof Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin

2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin - Reverse, Photo 2

Another angle with the right section of the photo showing a good representation of the coin’s appearance

I debated on including a video we took of the silver coins. The lighting and camera settings were off and the coin designs look washed out as a result. Still, the video offers some sense of how the coins look in person so I reluctantly added it.

Finally, to follow are a few more photos of the reverse proof half-dollars.

2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coins - Tray, Photo 7

A photo with the an obverse and three reverses showing

2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coins - Tray, Photo 4

Another tray of coins that came straight from a coining press

2014-W Reverse Proof 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coins - Tray, Photo 3

Another photo of a tray of coins

Victor DeCurtis July 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm

One question I have is, how come some of the coins are “heads up” and others are “tails up?”

Mike Unser (CoinNews.net) July 28, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Victor, the coins are normally placed heads side up. We asked for a few to be turned for photos.

Boz July 28, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Is this another “mint to demand” deal that will take 3 months to ship?

dale July 28, 2014 at 1:24 pm

3 months sounds a little quick how about 4 months with multiple ship dates.the 2013 reverse silver eagle set was delivered in October purchased in June. .

T. R. BOSTIC July 28, 2014 at 2:12 pm

WHAT IS TH ANTICIPATED RELEASE DATE FOR THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY KENNEDY HALF-DOLLAR FOUR COIN 90% SILVER COIN COLLECTION.

art July 28, 2014 at 2:46 pm

The US mint is coming out with some beautiful coins! Good job US mint.

Boz July 28, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Don’t think there is an announced date yet?

Todd July 28, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I’m thinking sometime in October.

Wdg5 July 28, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I am eagerly waiting for the silver set to be released. Hopefully they have enough sets on hand much like the uncirculated sets for the early birds.

Halfhunter July 28, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Beautiful coin. I can hardly wait!
I would however have thought that that the mintmark would have been placed in the 1964 position ? ! ? !

19Lyds July 30, 2014 at 11:36 am

I agree with Half Hunter but I guess its too late now.

david July 30, 2014 at 7:36 pm

will there be a mintage limit?

Jim August 5, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I’ll be happy, if I can get ONE set

I’ll wait for 3 months, as long as the don’t look like they were dragged behind a truck, lol

I enjoy the reverse proof & enhanced uncs

David Nardy August 5, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Please notify me when the four coin silver collection is going to be released. I will buy it immediately ! Thanks

bobby August 25, 2014 at 6:33 pm

I have not been collecting coins long… when I received my 50th anniversary sets I noticed a difference in the P + D coins in the R in liberty on the P coins the hair on Kennedy’s head fills the lower part of the R the D coins have a clear separation is this a variation or something I do not no but there is a difference?

Victor DeCurtis August 26, 2014 at 12:49 pm

First, how many sets did you purchase? Do they all look the same? If so, you have just what the mint wanted to produce. If one set is different than the others, you have a “variety” and it could be worth more than you paid for it. Let us know.

bobby August 26, 2014 at 4:25 pm

got 5 sets on the Ds the hair fills the bottom of the R the Ps have a gap between the R. I think others should look for this difference and see if they see what I see?.
if there is a difference do I get credit for finding it.
bobby

Victor DeCurtis August 26, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Bob, if they all have the same look, that’s what the mint wanted. Remember, the 64 half dollar looks so much different than the 2014 halves. These were made for collectors, and are not the circulation strike.

bobby August 26, 2014 at 8:15 pm

I am kind of new to coins but I have been collecting stuff for 40 years .this year I decided to attempt to put a kennedy set together. the kennedy coins are supposed to match the original 64 kennedy the 64 has one hair into the bottom right tail of the R. dosnt matter
the 2014 P n D dies should be exactly the same I don’t think they are. how or why these coins are different I do not no. all 5 of the Ps show a difference in the hair in the R from completely full of hair to one that the one hair appiers to float?
the Ds all have a clear gap between the top of the head and under the R.
I found this sight just looking around and thought I would share what I think I have found with others. dosnt hurt to ask and I thank you for your info.
it is probably a minor variation but it is different ?.
bob

bobby August 28, 2014 at 7:12 pm

after looking at other coins it seems 3 of the 5 Denver coins have a high R all the others the bottom of the R is filled with hair?.

Richard August 31, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Believe the release date is October 28.

Larry September 19, 2014 at 8:08 am

I can’t wait for the release of the Kennedy silver sets! My first purchase of gold coins was the anniversary Kennedy coin. I scraped up the cash to set aside 2 for my grand daughters. I love them, although I can’t stop thinking of how much silver I could have purchased with that money!

Frank September 19, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I just got a Barber half dollar to complete my half dollar collection. I don’t know why, but out of all my coins, even my 1865 3 cent piece, the half dollar was always my favorite coin. I’d like to make these new Kennedy proofs my Christmas gifts this year, but I’m wondering if I can get them in time. I gave a Morgan silver dollars to my grand nephews and nieces 2 years ago for Christmas and now one of them has become a collector. His mother says he gets five bucks in change every time he goes to the bowling ally just to see what he can find. I gave him a UC flying eagle penny last Christmas, but I think this set will top everything if I can get it in time.

Jim September 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Way to go Frank. Yep a nice set to collect been there !

I’m HOPING to get 2 sets of the 4 coin new Kennedy’s, if I can get through on Oct 28th. Unless the Mint hustles, delivery may not be this calendar, possibly Mid-Jan into Feb

Keep on Chugilin’

NumisMM September 24, 2014 at 12:20 am

Does anyone know if the Mint will be releasing/selling these at the Whitman Baltimore show? The Mint indicated that its releasing this set on October 28 which is a few days before the Baltimore Show begins which is on the 30th… perhaps thats so ST and KL dont bring in the homeless to the Show!?

Jim September 24, 2014 at 9:31 am

According to coin world, there will be NO sales by the Mint at the show

Gary Dooley October 31, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Ordered on Nov. 28th. and rec.on the 31st.
Rev Proof is by far the best coin.

Jim October 31, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Gary
Ordered online 10/28@ 11:05
Received order 10/31@ 10:10

Reverse proof is stunning, as well as the enhanced unc.

I suppose we have PF & MS70s

At least first day releases, lol

bobby November 1, 2014 at 12:37 am

I have had the luck to be a part of a couple different stores that sold collectibles. I have sent items in for grading with not much luck at receiving the grades I thought I should have gotten. it is my opinion if you want graded you should buy them already graded.
I know that with some limited items you might want to get them any way you can. if the sales of the new four coin kennedy,s keep up they will be sold out in a couple weeks.
being a part of selling different items I have seen that few people care about special labels a 70 is a 70 they are buying the coin not the label.
there are exceptions but in time 95% of every collectible the price will come down over time.
last week the tv coin show had the proof and reverse proof silver eagle set in the black core holder in matching grade 70s for sale for less than you could have bought the set from the mint and submitted them yourself and hoped you got 70s. just my opinion we all have one.

Victor DeCurtis November 1, 2014 at 11:22 am

Bobby, I agree 100% with what you said. “If you want a 70 coin, buy a 70 coin, already graded.” Leave the blind grading to those who really believe there is a grading fairy out there, making sure everyone get an even break. Why am I skeptical, well look at the special label NGC, PCGS and others are putting on the slabs. Really!!!! Does anyone think, believe or even fantasize, Pete Rose’s “Authorized Facsimile Autograph” is anything but a way to add many dollars to the price. For God’s sake, I saw Halloween Labels, affixed to already issued coins for $30 more than the original 70 coin. I always was under the impression, grading companies were not in the “COIN” business, only the grading business. Integrity is trumpeted on the highest mountain, as to their practices. Well, issuing labels, with anything more than PF or MS and the grade, and I’ll give you ER, FS or whatever other time designation there is, but who gives a damn about, what picture label is on the slab. I realize, some like to have succeeding years of the same coin, uniform in appearance. I get it and I understand it. However, when these grading services, hawk their labels as something special, that adds to the coin’s value, they are being dishonest and blowing smoke up a lot of people’s anuses. When the retro Black holders we supposedly a one year thing, commemorating NGC’s, 25th anniversary, I stated on FB, on NGC’s page, “Who give a damn” a 70 is a 70, no matter how you dress it up?” NGC said, “We do!” Well, now the Black holders are available for an increase in price. I guess we have become accustomed to “get it now before they are gone.” People, Black plastic, Red plastic and any other color plastic, will always be available, forever. If you have any doubt, contact, “Capitol Plastics.” They have had colored holders for at least 49 years and they don’t charge extra for a different color.
End of rant! 🙂

bobby November 2, 2014 at 9:44 am

it is people like us that drive these products up in prices. we have to be the first to have it. I am guilty. someone said he flipped them for a profit good for him. I would believe that everyone on this site is a collector. but most don’t collect with there heads we use our wallets.
I would like to believe that the only reason i buy early is to get something special to sell for a profit while there hot hoping to buy them graded 70s latter with the profit?. I have seen a lot of collections for sale that are so big and realy not worth that much. and not often I see a collection that has twenty items that I couldn’t afford one of them. the man with the most stuff dosnt win
I guess what I am trying to say you can fairly sell some items to others for a profit . and get the same item graded for free with the profits. if your going to spend $100 bucks on somthing buy a 1921 peace dollar?.

Paul Scott November 5, 2014 at 10:35 am

Victor,

I agree with you about the grading companies. First, they are not getting the grades right all the time or do not explain the grade on the label. I have a PCGS grading book that is about 20 years old or so, and I used it to grade a slabbed 1851 Large Cent on eBay that was graded as XF by PCGS. Using their grading system from 20 years ago, I got a VF-25 grade, not even Choice Very Fine. Now it is possible that for that die variety of 1851 Large Cent that this was an accurate grade, but since they did not identify the die variety on the label nobody would know that except an expert. Being that I started out as a baseball card collector, it is already hard to stomach some of the grades. With baseball cards if the card is off center, has a poor printing, or any other blemish it might not be considered to be in Mint Condition even if you just pulled it fresh from an unopened new pack of cards. So, when I see a Silver dollar getting a Mint State grade, and it lacks details because it was a late die strike or weak die strike, I shrug my shoulders at it. It seems to me that there needs to be some harsher standards, if we are going to have a standard system of grading. If we are going to grade via die variety, then the die variety and the die state (early, middle, and late) needs to be on the label. Second, most circulated coins have some kind of issue especially if they have been in the ground. I do not agree with PCGS snubbing higher graded environmentally damaged coins. A label with genuine, environmentally damaged, and no grade seems like a rip-off scam to me. If it is a Large Cent or Half Cent or Morgan Silver Dollar at least add the die variety to the label too with some kind of grade. Third, not everyone can send coins to PCGS, and we consider them the absolute authority on grading. Fourth, I hear from the majority of collectors at coin shows that they do not want coins in grading holders. Most want to stick circulated coins into their books or into a coin flip into a folder. I do agree Mint State coins need to be graded and protected, but it is a waste of time and money to send in coins that are circulated unless they represent an extremely rare find. I just believe we need a consistent standard that everyone follows. Instead of insisting that grading is an art or a matter of opinion, we need a system of grading coins that is precise, accurate, and universal.

Sorry for getting off the post a bit here Bob. On my coins the hair is in the same position on both the D and the P. On the P, the hair has a clearer strike and the separation between the “R” and the hairline is more evident; however, it is there.

bobby November 5, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I would not be happy with the grade the die variation should have been reconized.i would contact pcgs and ask for a regrade. even though they made the mistake you are still out the cost of shipping?.if I am buying I prefer pcgs when having one graded I use ngc.
i prefer my personal collection to be pcgs. but i have had no luck with there grading services.
the last time i used pcgs i sent some silver eagles to them on there worst day i guessed a couple 68s. i got a couple 68s the rest were far worse. i sent the same coins to ngc and got all 69s and a couple 70s.
i understand pcgs is in my opinion is the best but some times i wonder how much time they spend looking at our coins. i have no problem selling ngc graded coins. i do ask a little more for pcgs but there cant be that big of a difference. the smithtonion uses ngc. sorry my spelling stinks.

sorry spelling not my strong suite. i don’t no good luck.

dale November 6, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I love this set !!!!
Would be great if it ended here the half dollar. Wish they would make a silver dollar Kennedy for 2015 999 pure Silver..

bobby November 6, 2014 at 6:31 pm

victor I also started with cards and I have only been dealing with coins for about 4 years there is a lot I don’t know
I have not sent my sets of the 2 coin kennedys there not grading very good but if I thought they were different I would. I don’t know if a strong or week strike qualifies?. what you think.
I would also like to here from others if there coins have the same or different variation or strong and week strike?
my coins I could say that I have five different coins would the graders feel the same way?/

RJ December 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm

The reverse proofs are my favorite and i have 5 sets i recieved within 1 week of ordering 2 in 1 box 3 in a box that remains sealed. I know 5 diffrent people whos reverse PR was graded 68 REST OF COINS MS-69,PR69 and SP69 none of them recieved a 70 seemed odd have always preffered PCGS.How has everybody elses luck been?Input would be appriciated! Thank you..

Victor DeCurtis December 26, 2014 at 9:59 am

RJ, I too have un-opened sets. I will not send them in for grading, I’ll leave that to whomever buys them from me or inherits them. I will have a set of 70’s, though. I’ll purchase them. 🙂

Cheech January 7, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Is there a difference when someone sells a penny saying proof from mint set. Or from proof mint set. Is one a uncirculated and the other a proof. Thanks Cheech

Alexander T. Hines June 7, 2016 at 10:58 pm

What is the value of the set now