Legend Rare Coin Auctions, the Official Auctioneer of the PCGS Members Only Show, will present the 54th Regency Auction on September 8, 2022, at the Omni Hotel in San Diego.
Containing 347 lots, the sale is anchored by the Meridian Collection of Proof Barber Dimes; the Perfection Collection of Capped Bust Half Dollars; and the Ed Wielawski Collection of Oregon Half Dollars. Also included in the sale are several fabled rarities.
The Perfection Collection. The astonishing Perfection Collection of Capped Bust Half Dollars. A collection decades in the making, starting in the 1980s, Mr. Perfection, as he is known in the hobby, caught the Bust Half Fever, and over the course of these nearly 40 years, has owned many great examples, from AU to MS67. The 33-coin PCGS Date Set Registry Set begins with 1807 and ends with 1839-O. The coins in this set, which ranks as the current #2 set on the PCGS Registry, and #3 all time, as well as being the #2 CAC Registry Set.
"I have known Mr. Perfection for decades, and he has been an active and astute buyer from both Legend Numismatics and Legend Rare Coin Auctions," said Laura Sperber, founder of both Legend firms. "As his chosen online ‘handle’ suggests, every coin had to be nothing less than perfection! We congratulate him in the historic offering we will be presenting."
Each coin of the Perfection Collection is a highlight!
The Meridian Collection. This wonderful collection ranks near the top of the PCGS/CAC Registry Sets of the series.
The consignor has been an avid coin collector for over fifty years and a proficient numismatist who has assembled several extensive collections consigned to various auctions over the last twenty years, including several previous Legend Regency Auctions. He decided several years ago to put together smaller sets of Proof coinage of various unappreciated series of coins. It is our honor to now offer The Meridian Collection of Proof Barber Dimes. One of these sets was the Meridian Collection of Proof Liberty Nickels we sold in Regency Auction 34.
Every coin in this set is either a Gem or Superb Gem grade, most displaying Cameo or Deep Cameo contrast. The coins placed into these collections have been carefully selected for the strong eye appeal and high grades. While not all of the coins were the highest graded, many are among the finest certified, and each was specifically collected for its visual effect. The quality of the coins is acknowledged by the 100% CAC approval. A number of coins are from previous Legend Auctions or were from some fantastic collections, including Denali and Simpson.
The Ed Wielawski Collection. All the coins were hand selected by Ed, and many are either tied for finest or second finest for the issue; some of the coins are old friends, having been offered in earlier Regency Auctions. This popular classic commemorative type was struck for multiple, non-consecutive years, beginning in 1926 and ending in 1939. The complete series consists of 14 coins. Designed by James Earle and Laura Gardin Fraser, the obverse depicts a standing Native American in full headdress in the foreground, the map of the continental United States with a stylized covered wagon that follows the path of the famed Oregon Trail. The reverse shows a family traveling by covered wagon, the father leading the oxen on foot, while mother holds baby at the front of the wagon, as they follow the sun west. It is one of the most beautifully designed and adored type among the fifty that make up the classic commemorative type set.
Sale highlights include, but are not limited to:
- Lot 1. 1/2C 1848 ORIGINAL PCGS PR65 BN CAC Ex Robinson-Partrick.
- Lot 19. 1C 1935 PCGS MS68+ RD CAC
- Lot 46. 5C 1935 PCGS MS68
- Lot 60. 10C 1898 PCGS PR67+ DCAM CAC From The Meridian Collection Of Proof Barber Dimes
- Lot 78. 10C 1915 PCGS PR67+ CAM CAC From The Meridian Collection Of Proof Barber Dimes
- Lot 79. 10C 1874-CC ARROWS PCGS AU55 CAC Ex Rian’s Bequest
- Lot 93. 25C 1823/2 PCGS AU55
- Lot 104. 25C 1897-S PCGS MS67+ CAC Ex R.S.D. Collection
- Lot 111. 25C 1892 PCGS PR68+ CAM CAC
- Lot 130. 50C 1815/2 PCGS MS64+ CAC From The Perfection Collection Of Capped Bust Half Dollars Ex Eliasberg
- Lot 135. 50C 1821 PCGS MS66 CAC From The Perfection Collection Of Capped Bust Half Dollars
- Lot 140. 50C 1826 PCGS MS67 CAC From The Perfection Collection Of Capped Bust Half Dollars Ex Eliasberg
- Lot 155. 50C 1839-O PCGS MS65+ CAC From The Perfection Collection Of Capped Bust Half Dollars
- Lot 196. $1 1880-S PCGS MS68+ PL CAC
- Lot 246. $1 1925 PCGS MS67+ CAC
- Lot 256. $1 1934-S PCGS MS66 CAC
- Lot 262. G$1 1877 PCGS MS68 CAC
- Lot 265. $2.50 1864 PCGS AU50
- Lot 279. $5 1846-O PCGS AU55 CAC
- Lot 308. $20 1904 PCGS MS64+ PL CAC
- Lot 322. 50C 1928 OREGON PCGS MS68 From The Ed Wielawski Oregon Collection
- Lot 327. 50C 1937-D OREGON PCGS MS68+ CAC From The Ed Wielawski Oregon Collection
- Lot 346. 50C 1870 J-989 PCGS PR67+ RB CAC
- Lot 347. $1 1871 J-1148 PCGS PR66+ RB CAC
A 143-lot internet only session, as part of Regency Auction 54, will soft-close on Sunday, September 11, 2022 beginning at 7pm eastern.
Legend Rare Coin Auctions is the premier boutique numismatic auction house specializing in quality U.S. numismatics. Founded by Laura Sperber of Legend Numismatics in 2012, Legend Rare Coin Auctions has brought many fabulous collections to market, including the Coronet Collection, the Northern Lights Collection, the Flannagan Collection, the Konstantine Collection, the Chicago Collection, and selections from the Bob Simpson Collection. The firm is always accepting consignments for upcoming Regency Auctions. Contact them at 732-935-1168 to discuss your holdings.