A Russian coin led a group of 10 rarities certified by Numismatic Guaranty Company (NGC) that each realized prices over $100,000 in a pair of sales held by renowned Swiss auction house SINCONA. Auction 71 and Auction 73 were held November 21-23, 2021.
A Russia 1808CNB OT Russia 1/4 Rouble graded NGC MS 61 (Auction 71, lot 162) realized CHF 468,000 (about $504,000). The obverse of this incredibly rare coin, struck under Emperor Alexander I, displays the two-headed eagle, a symbol used for centuries in Russian heraldry.
Another especially rare coin in the auction was a China 1921 Gold Dollar graded NGC MS 63 (Auction 73, lot 1060). It easily exceeded its starting price of CHF 30,000 to realize CHF 348,000 (about $374,000). The obverse features President Hsu Shih-chang, the only civilian to rule during China’s warlord era in the 1910s and 1920s.
In between these two sales, SINCONA held a special auction of an NGC-certified collection of hundreds of English rarities that realized $8.9 million. To learn more about this auction, click here.
Other NGC-certified highlights in Auctions 71 and 73 included:
- a Russia 1838CNB HT Half Rouble graded NGC MS 66 (Auction 71, lot 200) that realized CHF 240,000 (about $258,000)
- an Italy 1641 Savoy 10 Scudi D’Oro graded NGC MS 61 (Auction 73, lot 1477) that realized CHF 216,000 (about $232,000)
- a Russia 1716 Ducat graded NGC MS 61 (Auction 71, lot 11) that realized CHF 168,000 (about $181,000)
- a Russia 1716 Ducat graded NGC XF 45 (Auction 71, lot 12) that realized CHF 156,000 (about $168,000)
- an Italy 1926R 100 Lire graded NGC MS 66 (Auction 73, lot 1452) that realized CHF 150,000 (about $161,000)
- a Russia 1739 Ducat graded NGC AU 53 (Auction 71, lot 72) that realized CHF 144,000 (about $155,000)
- a Russia 1727 2 Roubles Peter II – No Hair Tie graded NGC MS 61+ (Auction 71, lot 45) that realized CHF 132,000 (about $142,000)
- a Russia 1836CNB 6 Roubles graded NGC PF 64+ (Auction 71, lot 193) that realized CHF 120,000 (about $129,000)
Prices realized include buyer’s premium. All dollar amounts are in US Dollars.
About Numismatic Guaranty Company™ (NGC®)
NGC is the world’s largest and most trusted third-party grading service for coins, tokens and medals, with more than 51 million collectibles certified. Founded in 1987, NGC provides an accurate, consistent and impartial assessment of authenticity and grade. Every coin that NGC certifies is backed by the comprehensive NGC Guarantee of authenticity and grade, which gives buyers greater confidence. This results in higher prices realized and greater liquidity for NGC-certified coins. To learn more, visit NGCcoin.com.