2021 American Liberty Gold Coin Depicts Bucking Horse

A bucking horse is depicted on the obverse (heads side) of the high relief 2021-W $100 American Liberty Gold Coin, marking a notable change from past editions which feature renditions of "Lady Liberty." The West Point-minted 1-ounce .9999 fine gold coin is scheduled to launch Aug. 19.

2021 American Liberty Gold Coin-brochure
A CoinNews photo showing images of 2021 American Liberty Gold Coin from a U.S. Mint marketing brochure

United States Mint Director David J. Ryder announced the bucking horse design on May 4 in a roundtable discussion with numismatic journalists. Images of the coin have since appeared in U.S. Mint marketing brochures.

Created by Beth Zaiken and sculpted by Craig A. Campbell, the design as described by the Mint shows:

"A wild American Mustang horse bucking off a western-style saddle, evoking the throwing-off of the yoke of British rule during the American Revolution."

The mustang is centered on a rising sun.

Surrounding the scene are inscriptions of LIBERTY, 2021, IN GOD WE TRUST and the artists’ initials.

2021 American Liberty Gold Coin-brochure page
A CoinNews photo showing the full page from a U.S. Mint brochure which promotes the coin’s Aug. 19 release

Sculpted by Phebe Hemphill, the coin’s reverse (tails side) depicts a close-up of an American eagle with its beak open. Inscriptions include E PLURIBUS UNUM, W, 1OZ. .9999 FINE GOLD, $100, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and the artists’ initials.

Notify of
guest
85 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Seth Riesling

That is one pissed off bird! Lol.
Watch out Tippi Hedren!!

.NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

I’m totally at a loss in regard to how to even begin to understand the rationale for the explanation of the wildly bucking horse being a depiction representative of “the throwing off the yoke of British rule during the American Revolution.” First of all, starting with the simplest and most basic of relevant issues, it’s a saddle for God’s sake and not a yoke that this bucking bronco is jettisoning. Furthermore, isn’t it a bit more than just odd to be bringing such an extremely old and effectively extinct topic up now, so close to 250 years after the already… Read more »

Daniel

Yes, isn’t it a bit odd to keep dredging up the past? Is the Mint looking to antagonise its current major ally? Maybe they could have a coin with all the flags of countries which have had US invade since 1776, or had US involvement behind the scenes with narco/political/civil wars. Obviously we’d be needing a 5 or 10 ounce coin for that. I bought the 2017 and 2019 high relief gold coins because I liked the design. Being a collector, I like to collect series’s. I won’t be getting this coin. The design is too busy, in fact it… Read more »

Kaiser Wilhelm

Those were my thoughts exactly, Daniel. Who is less deserving of our enmity right now than our staunchest allies, the British? What was the Mint thinking? In fact, does the Mint think might be the scariest – but most pertinent – question of all. As for the size of coin it would take to picture all of our nation’s long line of geopolitical misadventures, I’m imagining one more along the line of a kilo weight minimum in order to be able to cover all the bases. Oh, and you were certainly right about the cartoon horse; what an uncanny resemblance… Read more »

The Draft Horse 1942.png
morgan
  • Because the western saddle as we know it did not begin its development until the early 1800s — the horn shown on the coin was not added until around the 1820s — it certainly does not evoke “the throwing-off of the yoke of British rule during the American Revolution,” as the Mint inaccurately states. The design may be very nice, but the Mint simply does not do its research or know its history.

Mark D.

I suspect the explanation of the allegorical image was cooked up AFTER the image already existed, i e. creative backfill.

While I think the image is like way groovy, I’ve had a strong sense that something’s fishy about that horse, and I’m up to my gills with the ebb and flow of the mint’s antics, they should deep six and wave bon voyage to capon Ryder, if you sea what I mean, get my drift, etc.

Kaiser Wilhelm

If I understand this correctly what I’m getting from you here is that Cap’n Ryder should roll out with the next tide, become hopelessly entangled in the Sargasso Sea, and ultimate sink down to the depths of Davy Jones Locker.

Davy Jones Locker.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Upon subsequent reflection, we were very lucky to have gotten off so relatively unscathed on the occasion of the release of the concave Baseball Commemorative Coins; at least the Mint didn’t mention throwing off the British curse of cricket.

Better.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

It’s strange you know so much about such an esoteric subject as the historical progression of saddle shapes. I’m guessing you might just be an equestrian.

Equestrian.jpg
Uncle Sams Nephew

I love the design of the horse, hate the birdseye. Kinda creepy. Tyranny is not ancient or passe, it’s ever present. The representation of a wild American bucking bronco tossing a saddle to be unrestrained and free carries the message quite well. It is right and just to symbolize detachment from tyrants. Read the full text of The Declaration Of Independance, remember 1812, the war of rebellion in 1865, the vicious acts of the kaiser in WW1, the following world war’s evil. Sadam and Kuwait. That bronco bucks for all people who pray to toss off oppression and to live… Read more »

Rooster

Nice coin for the winner of a rodeo.

Mark D.

Too bad it’s not big enough for a belt buckle.

Rooster

I like the way you are thinking. Perhaps embed it in the buckle.

Kaiser Wilhelm

I really like the way LIBERTY is displayed on that coin in a way you can’t miss it. Come to think of it, we Americans did manage to throw off a yoke, but it was just a few months ago and it didn’t have anything to do with the Brits.

Mr. Ed.jpg
Rooster

I don’t see LIBERTY at all on this coin. Hard pressed to sell something that isn’t depicted in this design.

Last edited 4 months ago by Rooster
Kaiser Wilhelm

On this $100 American Liberty Gold Coin the horse has obviously broken clear of its restraints, so what part of freedom is missing? Liberty, after all, is a concept rather than a particular image.

Mr. Magoo.jpg
Rooster

I was referring to the image and not the words. It seems to drastic a break from the other coins.

Kaiser Wilhelm

I get that, Rooster. It’s all too easy to forget that there are as many different perceptions of everything as there are people on earth.

Daniel

I ended up not posted a similar response I had typed out, as I was worried it might be seen as political. The word LIBERTY is in such large lettering, yet I needed a jeweller’s loupe to see “$100”. For a coin, especially the largest denomination coin, I found it odd that it basically looked like a medal/token. And in a world where the First Amendment rights have basically been removed from citizens (including the banning of a former President from communication platforms whilst he was sitting in office), it does make me wonder how there is a focus on… Read more »

Kaiser Wilhelm

Good point, Daniel. 20/20 hindsight tells me I succumbed to the number one error – and not in a good way like that displayed by a coin fresh from being bungled at the Mint – on a typically orderly discussion site like this one of waxing political. My bad; it won’t happen again.

Mark D.

sic semper tyrannis…I come not to praise Caligula, but to scrape him out of the treads of my shoes.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Yeah, I know, Mark, but my 74 year stint of dealing with the various and assorted impossibles in my own extended family has taught me four things. They don’t change, they never admit they’re wrong, they will never say they’re sorry, and the only way to deal with them is to permanently absent yourself from them. As we say in the Old Country, “Und damit basta.”

Mark D.

A bachelor’s life is grand, especially when incumbered by even first-degree familial connections. I accept no sibling without independent DNA confirmation.

And shame on you for being such a reactionary. Obviously, FB and the rest MUST be compelled to allow Caligula to inflict his sociopathy, delusions and tendency to dissemble on all of us.

Forcing private companies to publish or perish is what freedom of speech is all about, isn’t it?

err, UNincumbered

Kaiser Wilhelm

I attribute the current propensity for Caligularity to the legacy of those particular Einwanderer who desired to give their progeny a bed in perpetuity upon the formidable rack of non-reason.

Seth Riesling

Child actor McCauley Culkin’s character Kevin, in the movie “Home Alone” said about his relatives – “I hate families – families suck!” lol

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

In addition to our ongoing mutual distancing in general, two of my siblings would find it especially gratifying if everything regarding our society went back to the 50’s, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

1950
Kaiser Wilhelm

Some families are fine. Some families less so. It’s the luck of the draw.

Kaiser Wilhelm

By and large I prefer not to engage argumentatively with Caligulites because it’s too much akin to discussing the difficulty of reconciling general relativity and quantum mechanics with a flatworm.

The Truth.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Hah. No bachelor here. First marriage 21 years and out. Second marriage 29 years and counting. I guess I’m just the marrying kind.

Mark D.

Wax on karate kid, wax on.

Kaiser Wilhelm

As Elmer Fudd might say, “I spent all day waxing, and now it’s waning.”

Seth Riesling

“Wilbur, don’t buy this horse & pony show gold coin! Did you hear me??!!” – Mr. Ed.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

Sorry Mr. Ed, but Wilbur just doesn’t have your discriminating taste.

Seth Riesling

Lol. A big ass Texas-sized macho belt buckle!

NumisdudeTX

Mark D.

Aren’t “big-ass,” “Texas-sized,” and “macho” redundant, duplicative and repetitive? Or, was that some kind of Mike Mezakrap impersonation? If so, dead on, I mean, dead on. That’s right, dead on.

Seth Riesling

Yes, I like to cover all bases for those who do not have the pleasure of living in Texas (no state, city or county income tax ever!).
Mike Mezack, Mezack, Mezack lives in the penis of the USA – Florida.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

What if right after half of Oregon joins Idaho, Texas decides to go the route of complete independence. There might then be a value added tax for the added value of living in Texas.

Kaiser Wilhelm

I liked your double repetitiveness; cool deal. As to the MM likeness, almost but not quite. Mister Mike “Sold Out Limited Edition” Mezakrap would never fail to say that same exact phrase twice.

Repeat.jpg
Mark D.

I received a large, rodeo-style, star-shaped belt buckle as a thank-you gift from the owner of the arena outside of Wichita, KS, where I had done a half-time promotion. Later that evening, while driving down Douglas Street with colleagues, I was holding the buckle up to the window to get a better look, when some teens in the car next to us thought I was flashing a badge and pulled over. The driver rolled down his window, whiter than a new snow, and started to get out his license. I told him that it was just a buckle, that I… Read more »

Kaiser Wilhelm

Hard core big city kids would have attacked your car with tire irons and baseball bats and made off with your belt buckle for good measure.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Of course that’s a great story, Mark, but when you think about how quickly a situation like that could have gone south on you…

jets-sharks.jpg
Mark D.

When you’re a Jet, you’re a Jet all all the way, from your first cigarette to your last dieing day… even when your toe shoes ache and officer Krupke’s on the make… although, that Baby Shark thing is pretty catchy.

Kaiser Wilhelm

“Officer Krupke, krup you!” Far and away my favorite line. And how is it possible not to love “Maria”? Or for that matter “America”, where everything’s free (for a small fee, of course)!

Mark D.

I had a good friend who actually danced/was in the chorus of WSS on Broadway. He told me his toe shoes would fill with blood every night, but that it was worth it!

The WSS score, is superlative, but I’m quite partial to James Brown’s, “Living in America,” nothing better for a topless drive up I-75.

Kaiser Wilhelm

One of the best movie dance scenes of all time is “Mandy” as presented in 1954’s White Christmas, a great film which also happens to contain a somewhat unusual Danny Kaye number called “Choreography.”

kaye-choreography-white-christmas-3-768x443.jpg
Seth Riesling

Mark – That is a priceless true story for sure…I’m LOL…thanks, I needed a good laugh.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

Our friend Mark’s humor has touches of both Samuel Clemens and George Carlin, two of my all-time favorite stand-up comedians.

Mark D.

Thanks, but I’m just a well-paid hack, and not the kind that’s so popular today, nor the kind that transports Sherlock about London. Although, I am a natural-born numismatist in that I’ve always enjoyed coining new words and phrases, as well as striking blows for truth, justice and the American Way (thus sprach KaL-El, an undocumented alien no less), and I cast the occasional die, sometimes two. I just wrap up and roll along, my puny (punny?) self and my deminted ways, seeking proof of intelligence in this peculiar slice of the multiverse. Also, a woman who is purports to… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by Mark D.

“…which is nice.”
Thanks to Caddyshack.

A clearly glowing Joe E. Brown is rowing the completely in female attire disguised Jack Lemmon out to the former’s yacht to sail away with him. Jack Lemmon suddenly pulls off his wig and blurts out, “But I’m a man!” Joe E. Brown replies in a perfectly calm and assured manner, “Nobody’s perfect,” smiles broadly, and continues rowing them towards the yacht. End of movie.
Thanks to Some Like It Hot.

Mark D.

Someone was in that film other than Ms Monroe?

Kaiser Wilhelm

Now that you mention it, I do think I only dreamed the rest.

marilynmonroe21.jpg
Daniel

Seems strange in these days with an emphasis on Diversity and Inclusion, that they would take LADY Liberty off a coin, and put a horse on instead.

Mark D.

With a couple of hundred years of allegorical Lady Liberty and eagles, a bucking bronc IS diversity and inclusiveness. Or, does that spoil your attempt to mock and dismiss the well-meaning efforts of folks who just want peace, justice and fewer gullible cultists?

Seth Riesling

The USA founding fathers loved their expensive tea & their silver and gold coins, but they did not trust the “average Joe” at the time (poor, uneducated etc.) & I think they really envisioned a time when we would have a “4-year nightmare,” – and it happened!

NumisdudeTX

Mark D.

No way! Not according to Faux News at least. And the well-meaning mob of knuckle-dragging insurrectionists in the Rotunda were merely tourists.

They are often called extremists, I say not so! Excrementists is a more precise epithet.

Seth Riesling

Mark –
When do the public Capitol tours begin again in the D.C. former swamp??!! – I want a ticket to go on that tourist ride, & I want the hat, t-shirt & coffee mug too!
Is Disney taking over the ticket sales & concession business there??
Is there going to be a Congressman Gaetz “ride” for the kiddies??

NumisdudeTX

Mark D.

Copy that comrade. BTW, swamps have really gotten a bad rap for the last couple of centuries. Outside of Yellow Fever and the like, swamps are great at absorbing floods and preventing destruction of man-made environments plus, they excell at sewage treatment, which would be especially handy the next time the Caligulites need to leave their special messages on the Rotunda’s walls. “We will not be diapered!!!” Swamps also help keep drinking water less toxic before it recharges in our lead pipes. And since we’ve got most of the swamp-borne ailments on the retreat, I for one advocate for swamp… Read more »

Kaiser Wilhelm

I have only one thing to add here. Where was all the quicksand when we needed it most?

Kaiser Wilhelm

The Gaetz “Cross The State Line” Ride will be limited to Girl Scouts and high school cheerleaders, as specified in the Congressman’s contract.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Shortly after the death of Francisco Franco, insurrectionists from the Falangist faction of the Spanish Military invaded and occupied the nation’s Parliament. If it hadn’t been for the timely intervention of the pro-democracy King Juan Carlos, who entered the Capitol and ordered the rebellious officers to stand down, Spain would have reverted to a totalitarian state. Unfortunately in the events of this past January 6, our treacherous head of state not only sided with but encouraged the traitorous mob and almost succeeded in costing us our freedom.

Mark D.

Well, at least Franco is still dead or, so I heard on SNL several times.

Kaiser Wilhelm

I remember that routine of theirs (SNL News) as if it were yesterday. The macabre reality behind that trope was the essentially cruel methods the Falangist military/medical establishment persisted in employing to keep bringing his potential corpse back to what would pass for life in an ever more increasingly desperate and ever more futile attempt to gain what ended up being literally no more than a few days or hours of his “living rule.” As was expected, as soon as it became known that he was actually deceased, the structure of the decades-old totalitarian Spanish government began to start falling… Read more »

El Cid re-did?

Kaiser Wilhelm

El Cid, indeed, re-dead, re-did.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Why they weren’t rounded up en masse, arrested on the spot and jailed until their trial dates eludes me to this day. Talk about white privilege!

Kaiser Wilhelm

It was their pervasive belief in the intellectual superiority of the landed white male gentry that prompted the founders to put strictures regarding the popular vote into the law. The Electoral College, as the essential instrument for this kind of elitist machination, finally gifted us with a bozo on the bus.

Mark D.

I’m making this entire thread my personal manifesto.

Maybe I’ll even drive to Illinois and nail it to the door of Honest Abe’s cabin (actually, I’d likely use one of those 3M Quick Release thingys so as not to damage an important heritage site).

Kaiser Wilhelm

The last is a very good idea. First, for the reason you’ve given about avoiding accidental vandalism. Additionally, just in case down the line you ever have a change of heart about one or another “ingredient.”

Martin Luther.jpg
RonnieBGood

Most of you hated the lady liberty designs. A lot of trolls under Coin News bridge these days.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Especially so when she was portrayed as a woman of color. That’s when all the misogynists and racists (not that they are mutually exclusive) would froth at the mouth.

Daniel

The irony being I liked those coins so much, that I bought 3 of the 2017 coins and one of the 2019.
They are the only gold Lady Liberty coins I own.

Then again, my country doesn’t have a 400(?) year old wedge of slavery being used as a tool to drive animosity amongst its citizens.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Those are indeed exceptionally attractive coins, Daniel, and while I only have one of them, I do cherish it. The tool that so unfortunately drives the wedge here most regrettably derives from the ongoing collective racial animosity of a former ruling class that has never gotten over either the economic or the psychological losses they incurred as a result of the abolition of the institution of human slavery. I find it ultimately ironic that to this day the descendants of the victimizing slavers have so much more of a bitterly hateful and many times angrier ax to grind than the… Read more »

Last edited 3 months ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Adam L

I actually like this design. However I thought this was supposed to be a 5 coin series? Anglo American, African American, Native American, Asian American, and Hispanic American. Not sure if in that order. I have the first 3. Seems kind of racist not to continue with the original concept.

Big T

yeah must be racism… sigh

Big T

I kind of like this coin

Kaiser Wilhelm

I’m with you there, Big T. I’m not sure I understand all the flack this design is taking.

Last edited 3 months ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Reuben

That is the ugliest Liberty gold coin by far. I’m shocked this made it to approval. With such excellent coins up to this point I guess the series was due for a dud, here it is. I’m not paying $700+ premium for that.

Joe S.

I have no interest in this coin. It ruins this series for those of us who were drawn to it for the revival of the “Lady Liberty” in the design, especially from an inclusive, multi-ethnic angle. With the simple name of “American Liberty”, and the retro styling, the series *was* extremely appealing to collectors of old US coins. Though the price tag for the 1 ounce gold was prohibitive, the one year that the coin was offered as a 1/10 ounce gold version was thankfully the best design so far. I also really liked the 2019 design, but unfortunately, I… Read more »

REB

The Mint page for this coin says that it’s a proof. Is it?

Rooster

High relief proof. This is going to be a beautiful coin imho.

REB

Thanks. I know some high reliefs have been designated proof and others uncirculated.

Rooster

The 2009 double eagle was struck as ultra high relief. Many ended up labeled as proof like. This one also is a beautiful coin. My favorite modern coin.

Mike Petraitis

Do you think it will be a fast sellout ?How many of you plan on purchasing this coin?

Tyrone Springer

I bought it! Best looking coin I have seen so far!!!!!
It’s art to me! Much like an oil painting. You can argue all day about how it’s good or bad. But if you don’t see the artistic value you are just a different type of collector. The world is full of art collectors who have over looked priceless paintings.

Do you know why Morgan dollars are called morgan dollars?