2021 Tuskegee Airmen 5 Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin Released

Another United States Mint coin program comes to an end today with the release of the 2021-P Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin.

2021-P Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin and Packaging
Uncirculated 2021-P Tuskegee Airmen Five Ounce Silver Coins arrive encapsulated, set inside a protective outer box and include a U.S. Mint Certificate of Authenticity

The large 3-inch diameter, 99.9% pure silver coin serves as the 56th and final strike in the U.S. Mint’s America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin™ series. Its design will look familiar to many as it also appears on earlier issued Tallgrass Prairie quarters. The quarter and 5-ounce "America the Beautiful" series launched in 2010 and presents five designs annually with one recognizing a site of national interest in each state, the District of Columbia and the five U.S. Territories.

This last program coin bears a design emblematic of the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site in Alabama. Congress established the location as a national historic site on November 6, 1998. However, its history and importance dates back decades before that. The site was created to commemorate the contributions of African-American airmen in World War II. Moton Field at the site was a primary flight training center for the pilots who came to be known as the Tuskegee Airmen. Their bravery not only helped to insure a successful end to the war, but also broke racial barriers.

Coin Designs and Specifications

Designed by Chris Costello with sculpting completed by Phebe Hemphill, the new coin’s reverse (tails side) shows an image of a Tuskegee Airman suiting up in traditional World War II flight gear. Moton Field control tower can be seen in the background. The pilot looks upward as two P-51 Mustangs pass above.

Photo 2021-S Proof Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site quarter - reverse
The design found on the new coin and previously released quarters depicts a Tuskegee Airman suiting up in traditional World War II flight gear. This CoinNews photo shows a proof version of a Tuskegee Airman quarter. The larger 5-ounce silver coin released today shows the same design, but in a vapor blast uncirculated finish. It also has a flat or smooth edge compared to the reeded edge found on quarters.

An inscriptions reads: "THEY FOUGHT TWO WARS" (a reminder of the two fronts each airman faced — fascism abroad and racial discrimination at home). Additional inscriptions include "TUSKEGEE AIRMEN," "ALABAMA," "2021," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM."

All coins of this and companion programs bear the same obverse (heads side) portrait of George Washington. The image of the first President of the United States was originally completed by John Flanagan and has appeared, with a few changes, on quarter dollars since 1932.

Obverse of a 2019-P ATB Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin
This CoinNews photo shows the obverse or heads side of an America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin held within its protective capsule. The portrait and inscriptions are common across the five-ounce series, and on companion quarters.

Obverse inscriptions read: "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "LIBERTY," "IN GOD WE TRUST" and "QUARTER DOLLAR." A ‘P’ mint mark also found on the obverse indicates the coin was produced at the Philadelphia Mint.

2015 Homestead 5 Oz Silver Coin Edges
This CoinNews photo shows the incused edge lettering that is on America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Coins

An edge incused inscription offers the content and fineness with "999 FINE SILVER 5.0 OUNCE."

Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin Specifications

Finish: Uncirculated
Denomination: Quarter
Composition: 99.9% Silver
Weight: 5.000 troy oz.
(155.517 grams)
Diameter: 3.000 inches
(76.20 mm)
Edge: Lettered

Ordering

2021-P Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins may be ordered from the U.S. Mint’s product page for silver coins.

Pricing is $229 with a listed maximum mintage of 20,000.

Five Ounce Silver Bullion Coins

In addition to quarters and this uncirculated piece, the U.S. Mint also strike five ounce bullion coins. These are nearly identical to their uncirculated counterparts (such as today’s release), but they have no mintmark despite also being produced at the Philadelphia Mint. Also, the bullion coins carry a brilliant finish unlike the vapor blast finish of the uncirculated coin.

Finally, bullion coins are sold through the U.S. Mint’s network of authorized purchasers for a small premium above melt value. The Mint reports sales of 50,000 for the Tuskegee Airmen Five Ounce Silver Bullion Coin.

Notify of
guest
50 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Kaiser Wilhelm

Darrin Lee Unser, I might just be missing something here, but I don’t really understand the context of the following sentence from the second paragraph above: “It will look familiar to many as it also appears on earlier issued Tallgrass Prairie quarters.” Separately, I still find it difficult to reconcile the monumental size and rather appreciable silver content of this coin with the Quarter Dollar denomination on the obverse. I do understand that it is but a grossly enlarged version of the regular size ATB quarter; however, should that really have precluded the mint from assigning a slightly more appropriate… Read more »

Mark D.

I’m thinking the Prarie reference is a cut-and-paste artifact from a “repurposed” Prarie coin article that ran when it was released. He’s probably referring to the Airman pocket-change quarter — which is pictured — as “familiar” to the 5 oz. coin, he just forgot to update “Prarie” to “Airmen.”

Mark D.

ROFL…From 12/7/2020 CoinNews:
This 3-inch coin for coin collectors features a reverse (tails side) image emblematic of the national site in Kansas. It will be familiar to many as it also appears on earlier issued Tallgrass Prairie quarters. The quarter and 5-ounce “America the Beautiful” series debuted in 2010

Kaiser Wilhelm

There’s actually a joke within a joke here above and beyond the simple case of the somewhat unfortunately misapplied cut and paste. To wit, the few nondescript blades of grass and one errant butterfly on the reverse of the Kansas Tallgrass Prairie coin aren’t exactly “emblematic” of anything or any place other than a totally generic field that could be found virtually anywhere.

Grass anonymous.jpg
Mark D.

Interesting (and funny). I figured it was a scene from the Wizard of Oz, but the mint didn’t want to incur the cost of paying actors’ estates. The real hidden pun is the reference to, “… above and beyond…” and the Airmen coin. Scoundrel!

Kaiser Wilhelm

Very close, Mark, but it’s actually the director’s cut of How Green Was My Valley. As for the “above and beyond” reference, in the credits it says this is entirely yours.

Kermit coins.png
Mark D.

No offense Comrade Unser. I’m a writer too and have neglected to update boilerplate copy too many times to count. Hell, I wouldn’t have changed as much as you did!

Kaiser Wilhelm

That makes sense. Thanks, Mark.

Mage

The one advantage of the .25 face value is if you ever wanted to move $10,000 through customs without claiming it that is an awful lot of quarters!

Kaiser Wilhelm

That’s brilliant, Mage, and by my calculation amounts to 39,999 five ounce silver “quarters” (to keep it just a smidge below the alert point). On the possible down side, the checked luggage would weigh a hair shy of 13,714 pounds in coins alone plus whatever the plethora of suitcases add up to, resulting in a pretty penny in excess baggage fees. That doesn’t surprise me, since it would be most unusual to discover there isn’t always a fly in the ointment.

2020-5-oz-silver-atb-marsh-billings-rockefeller-natl-park-vt_197640_obv.jpg
Samuel Conroy

Photo looks like a proof which it is not.

Mark D.

Yes it is. Read the cutline: This CoinNews photo shows a PROOF version of a Tuskegee Airman quarter. The larger 5-ounce silver coin released today shows the same design, but in a vapor blast uncirculated finish. It also has a flat or smooth edge compared to the reeded edge found on quarters.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Not only does it say that it’s a “proof” coin under the second photo picturing the ordinary-sized quarter but the “proof” of this is provided by the appearance of the 5 oz. version as shown in its vapor blast uncirculated finish courtesy of the previous photo and the like one of – you guessed it – Kansas affixed below here.

Burnished.jpg
Big T

Okay I see, the proof is only the regular quarter and not the 5oz series… I didn’t think they made proof ATB 5 oz coins from P or the bullion series.

Kaiser Wilhelm

As Mark D. states below, Big T, the U.S. Mint doesn’t make Proof ATB 5oz coins. Further, no Bullion coins of any variety come in either Proof or Uncirculated (which in the specific case of American Silver Eagles and ATB 5 oz coins the Mint calls Burnished), they are simply Bullion.

Big T

I did not know the mint made any proofs of the series in 5oz. That is news to me. They do not advertise them so I wonder how one goes about to get a proof 5oz ATB coin….?

Mark D.

The picture of the proof coin is a conventional proof quarter in terms of size, NOT a 5 oz. There is no proof 5 oz only BU/burnished with mint mark sold by the mint, and non-burnished bullion version sold by “select” retailers.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Note to Big T: Be aware of the fact that unscrupulous sellers often engage in the practice of putting Bullion American Silver Eagles into emptied Uncirculated (aka Burnished) Mint cases and selling those cleverly disguised coins as authentic “Uncirculated” ASEs, which they obviously are not. Always look at the reverse of whatever ASE is displayed; if there is no mintmark to the lower left of the eagle then it is a Bullion coin disguised by the wrong box as an Uncirculated one.

Mark D.

Thanks Comrade Kaiser (first time that phrase ever appeared).

I was aware of the mint mark differentiator, but never considered the use of OGP to cheat folks (not for ATB 5 ozs. at least).

After a brief panic, I was relieved of angst upon recalling nearly all my 5’ers are bullion, the rest are from the mint or slabbed.

Big T

it is easy to tell the difference. Oddly, the bullion ones go for similar prices at secondary market as the P mints. WHich I find rather unusual

Kaiser Wilhelm

Comrade or Kamerad, either will do just fine, Mark. Didn’t mean to scare you; I just would hate it if any of my fellow collectors here ever got taken in by the old OGP switcheroo trick, one whose employment appears to have gotten ridiculously ubiquitous these days. By the way, glad to hear your 5 oz. coins are scam free!

Big T

But bullion ASEs can have the W mark, right? The P ATBs and the bullion ATBs are easy to distinguish. Most of mine are bullion – I actually like the shiny finish better – and I got them at very small premiums (well, not so much recently but from 2010 to 2019 the premiums were small) and basically just for bullion purchase that looked cooler than 5oz bars. I felt it was a great deal for silver – you purchase them basically at the same price as a 5oz bar but the resale is significantly higher. I’m actually surprised how… Read more »

Kaiser Wilhelm

First of all, you’re very welcome, Big T. As to mint marks appearing on the Mint’s bullion coins, I’m afraid that those fall into the same category as unicorns; they simply don’t exist. No W, no P, nada, nothing.

Allin

Back
order ??

MJS

Backorder already – shipping in July

Chas. Barber

I got a couple early for some reason, I like the design as #1. Back order now I went @ 9:00am sharp & the purchase was fast & easy, seemed TOO easy…. Now to snap up some bullion models……& 2021 ag Krands!

Kaiser Wilhelm

Careful there, Chas.; keep that up and before you know it you’ll be the U.S. Mint’s “Best Dang Customer Of The Year”. How will you ever live that one down? 🙂

Big T

I like the 2010 and 2012 designs best among the series, but I do agree this one is super cool…. also like the blue ridge parkway (but I live there so biased)

Mark D.

Hawaii is my favorite, because of volcano, but the $400+ price is a nice bonus for original MSRP (Mint Stratospheric Rip-off Price) purchasers.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Just as is the case with every other scam known to man, they can
get away with it because it is still a price Many Suckers Really Pay.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Round up the usual suspects. Mike “Sold Out – Limited Edition” Mezack, Coin Vault, Apmex, JM Bullion, Gov.Mint, Pinehurst Coins, SD Bullion, etc. etc. etc.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Speaking of which, the Back Order Date for the Christa McAuliffe Proof is December 31!

Christopher Williams

Just to make sure I got my two, I did the “Enrollment” option. I like these coins. Just received confirmation that my two have shipped.

jwp

DITO – enrollment subscription is very easy – did not even have to sign into the web site. Mine has also already shipped. I believe they save the best design for the last.

Kaiser Wilhelm

The question remains as to why the Mint doesn’t deign to offer this enrollment option on a much more consistent or perhaps even regular, ongoing basis. How spectacular it would have been to be able to go this route for that virtually impossible to get from the U.S. Mint 2019-S Enhanced Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle whose price immediately went ballistic on the secondary market!

ERP ASE 2019-S.jpg
Christopher Williams

I agree!!!!! Give the collectors the opportunity to purchase a particular coin without the hassle of fighting the website and traffic.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Unfortunately, that’s just not the way the Mint rolls. With its ongoing exceedingly spurious practices one can only conclude that its primary concern is that the Big Dealers get all the good stuff while excluding us from same. The Mint adhering to this pattern ensures that all of their stealthily connected and equally unscrupulous fellow schemers and scammers can subsequently stick it to us royally when it comes to secondary market overpricing for a clearly captive clientele.

Christopher Williams

I agree. I own ten of the ATB 5 OZ coins. I really enjoy the Gettysburg coin.

Big T

I now have the series (not all P mints, some are bullion) and the HI volcano is BY FAR my favorite.
All the 2010 and 2012 coins are the most in demand, it seems, and the highest cost secondary market.
Like others posted here, I received mine in unprecedented speed – literally within 2 days.

Kaiser Wilhelm

My record for a slow delivery was just over five weeks, and during the entire time that it was (allegedly) on its way from the Mint to me the daily location check reported nothing but In Transit – Arriving Late.

Kaiser Wilhelm

That’s certainly a great collection to have, Big T, and a complete one yet. Just to be able to see all the fabulous designs on the regular quarters enlarged to the 5 ounce size is worth the price of admission!

Not bad.jpg
jwp

WOW!!! My order was just delivered at 2 PM CT today (4-9-2021). I’ve never had any order from the mint delivered i less than 27 hours!

Christopher Williams

That’s awesome!!!! Mine are due to arrive tomorrow (4/10).

Kaiser Wilhelm

You should both contact the Guiness Book of World Records right away; nothing remotely close to this has ever been known to happen before!

jwp

THAT WAS THE GOOD NEWS – FAST SHIPPING! THE MINT FAILED TO QC THE SHIPMENT AND NO COA WAS INCLUDED! NOW THE MINT SAYS THEY CAN NOT SEND A COA DUE TO THE ITEM BEING UNAVAILABLE! THEY ARE SORRY FOR THE PROBLEM AND BASICALLY SAID – HAVE A NICE DAY! They want it both ways – take your $$ and ship incomplete items. Thank you US Mint for your generous lack of concern and delivering what the customer has paid for!!

Kaiser Wilhelm

jwp, it appears from your latest comment that the everyday Mint reality we have over the past couple of years worth of rather displeasing experiences come to have such an ongoing distaste for has most unfortunately been restored. For a while there you had me believing that I had somehow strayed into an alternate universe in which the Mint was capable of doing something right. However, in the nick of time for those of us who like myself might have been feeling more than just oddly displaced, you got your (seemingly inevitable) most unwelcome wake-up call courtesy of the Mint’s… Read more »

Control.jpg
Mark D.

When one identifies a black hole, it’s advised to stay well clear of the event horizon so as not to get “sucked” into the photon-obliterating, time-warping, flesh-rending anomaly itself. Same goes for the Mint.

Kaiser Wilhelm

There is one specific difference, Mark, between how the two entities function. While we have no idea as to what comes out of the “other end” of a black hole, we can be quite certain that what leaves the coin-making place is excremint.

Kaiser Wilhelm

As I now review my words above, that isn’t what I really believe. The Mint does make some great products, but it’s their way of getting – or not getting – them to us that all too often leaves a lot to be desired.

Big T

You should be able to get a COA from someone who gets theirs graded. The grading can act as the COA for the most part, and a lot of folks do not slab the COA for these. Check on ebay for empty box and COA.