Australian bullion sales slowed in December but still shined in 2020, according to the latest figures from The Perth Mint of Australia.
In December, the Mint’s silver sales ended below 1 million ounces for the first time since May. Their annual total, however, was the highest since CoinNews started tracking the data in 2013.
Perth Mint gold sales in December, while down from November, registered as the fourth highest month in 2020. Their annual level was also the highest CoinNews has tracked.
"The Perth Mint saw strong investor demand across its entire suite of precious metal products in 2020, with sales of minted products and inflows into The Perth Mint Depository rising notably," said Jordan Eliseo, Senior Investment Manager for The Perth Mint.
The Mint’s bullion gains were set against soaring precious metals with LBMA prices in December and 2020 sharply higher for both gold and silver.
December and Annual Sales
Perth Mint sales of gold coins and gold bars reached 76,806 ounces last month, marking declines of 8.7% from November and 2.7% from December 2019. Based on CoinNews data, April 2020 was the Mint’s strongest month ever for gold bullion with 120,504 ounces sold.
Annual 2020 gold sales accumulated to 778,797 ounces, scoring increases of:
- 100% from the 389,463 ounces in 2019,
- 93.7% from the 402,049 ounces in 2018,
- 113.1% from the 365,410 ounces in 2017,
- 49.7% from the 520,295 ounces in 2016,
- 70.9% from the 455,630 ounces in 2015
- 50.7% from the 516,709 ounces in 2014, and
- 3.2% from the 754,636 ounces in 2013
Perth Mint sales of silver coins and silver bars tallied to 941,767 ounces in December, posting declines of 15.9% from the prior month and 30.8% from December 2019. April was also the Mint’s biggest month in 2020 and second highest month all-time for silver bullion with 2,123,121 ounces sold.
Annual 2020 silver sales reached 16,452,490 ounces, registering increases of:
- 42.2% from the 11,573,602 ounces in 2019,
- 78% from the 9,243,058 ounces in 2018,
- 70.7% from the 9,636,408 ounces in 2017,
- 34.5% from the 12,236,766 ounces in 2016,
- 41.9% from the 11,595,504 ounces in 2015
- 117.4% from the 7,567,467 ounces in 2014, and
- 90.3% from the 8,647,862 ounces in 2013
Perth Mint Gold and Silver Sales by Month
Below is a monthly summary of Perth Mint bullion sales from December 2019 to December 2020. The figures show monthly ounces of gold and silver shipped as minted products by The Perth Mint to wholesale and retail customers worldwide. It excludes sales of cast bars and other Group activities including sales of allocated/unallocated precious metal for storage by the Depository.
|Perth Mint Bullion Sales (in troy ounces)|