Record prices fell at Legend Rare Coin Auctions’ June 2019 Regency Auction as multiple advanced Registry Set collectors fought it out to add finest known issues to their top ranking sets on the PCGS Registry.
Besides the Finest Known coins, the action was as hot as the summer sun in the Las Vegas desert (it was a balmy 101 outside).
Again, the explosive bidding activity proved that collectors of all areas were out in force to buy quality coins. As usual, PCGS/CAC coins garnered the most attention and most active bidding, realizing solid to extremely strong prices.
The Regency Auction, which is the official auction of the PCGS Members Show, proves that even smaller sales get the same draw and attention of the larger conventions. While attendance was not strong at the show, pre internet and live during the sale internet bidding was the most active of ANY auction we have ever had.
The top selling lots were a pair of Top Pop Mercury Dimes, which three very advanced collectors drove to shocking world record prices: lot 211, a 1931-S in PCGS MS67+ FB CAC realizing $270,250 and lot 220, a monster toned 1938-S PCGS MS68+ FB CAC sold for $364,250.
All prices realized include the 17.5% Buyer’s Premium.
"Opening the sale was the Hunter Collection," said Julie Abrams, president of Legend Rare Coin Auctions. "For the first hour and a half of the sale, it was standing room only with a huge crowd in the auction room. Collectors fought it out over and over, driving prices higher to take home the greatest prizes. The current market is as quality conscientious as ever, and Premium Quality coins (especially toners) are bringing premium bids!"
"Bidders on the phone, in the room, and online fought ferociously to bring home the prizes for their collections," said Laura Sperber, founder of LRCA. "Julie, Jessica, and I were on the phone with bidders who really desired the absolute best coins. Clearly, Legend Rare Coin Auctions has built a clientele that are the strongest buyers, especially for the finest PCGS/CAC coins in the world and monster toned examples.
We consistently sell top pop toners for world record prices that no other auction firm can touch! However, not everything had to be a pop 1 wildly toned piece to attract loads of bidder and realize strong prices. Even PCGS NO CAC coins preformed especially well ($20 1904 PCGS MS67 realized $73,437). A small group of exceptional Proof Barber dimes and quarters performed exceptionally well. Another area that performed strong: Morgan Dollars. Legend is a rising star among auction companies when it comes to selling the best quality Morgans."
"Auction after auction, our boutique auction program gets the biggest buyers’ attention, and they return, every auction, knowing that we sell the very best coins on the market," Julie Abrams stated.
"That is why the consignors keep coming back. We offer much more then just auctioning your coins. If you have not yet consigned to our record breaking sales, now is the time to do so. We are now accepting consignments for our September Regency Auction, so contact one of our consignment specialists today."
Some highlights of the auction include:
- Lot 10. 10C 1798 Large 8. PCGS MS62 CAC From the Hunter Collection. Realized $30,550
- Lot 73. 1C 1955 Doubled Die. PCGS MS64 RD CAC. Realized $14,688
- Lot 92. 3CS 1855 PCGS PR64 CAC. Realized $13,513
- Lot 131. 5C 1911 PCGS PR67+ CAC. Realized $6,169
- Lot 167. 5C 1939 REV 38 PCGS PR68 CAC. Realized $6,168.75
- Lot 197. 10C 1916-D Mercury. PCGS MS64 FB CAC. Realized $38,775
- Lot 204. 10C 1923 PCGS MS68 FB CAC. Realized $35,250
- Lot 231. 10C 1943-D PCGS MS68 FB CAC. Realized $5,053
- Lot 242. 25C 1877 PCGS MS68 CAC. Realized $27,025 (wildly toned)
- Lot 268. 25C 1949-D PCGS MS68 CAC. Realized $43,475 (wildly toned)
- Lot 269. 25C 1952-D PCGS MS67+ CAC. Realized $21,150
- Lot 279. 50C 1876-CC PCGS MS66+ CAC. Realized $31,725
- Lot 290. 50C 1920-D PCGS MS65+ CAC. Realized $29,375
- Lot 306. 50C 1942-D PCGS MS68. Realized $34,075
- Lot 308. 50C 1943 PCGS MS68 CAC. Realized $28,200 (wildly toned)
- Lot 343. $1 1881-S PCGS MS66 CAC. Realized $11,163 (wildly toned)
- Lot 383. $1 1902-O PCGS MS67 CAC. Realized $19,387.50
- Lot 475. $20 1882-CC PCGS MS62 CAC. Realized $31,725
- Lot 482. $20 1904 PCGS MS67. Realized $73,438
- Lot 503. 50C 1935 Spanish Trail. PCGS MS68. Realized $17,038
- Lot 513. $1 1879 J-1629. PCGS PR67 CAC. Realized $36,425
- Lot 514. $3 1875 J-1436. PCGS PR65 RB CAC. Realized $73,438
Legend Rare Coin Auctions (www.legendauctions.com) is a boutique numismatic auction company specializing in the finest and rarest U.S. coins. Founded in 2012 by Laura Sperber, the owner and president of Legend Numismatics, the premier rare coin retail firm.