Legend Rare Coin Auctions (www.legendauctions.com) presented their 29th Regency Auction on the evening of Thursday, Nov. 15.
The official auctioneer of the PCGS Members Only Show in San Antonio saw more than 90% of the sales going to collectors.
"Activity from the start was strong and the pace clearly carried through the live sale," the company said. "In many cases there were multiple bidders per lot. It is clear to us, that buying from auction is becoming the preferred choice for collectors."
LRCA added that it is always working to improve and operate a better platform.
In describing the event, LRCA said:
"We saw the sale: marginal, Non-CAC coins sold cheap. Coins with the CAC sticker and or were fresh (like the commems) sold strong.
When the ‘right’ coins were offered that were PCGS CAC and of the highest quality: prices were strong to near record breaking. Overall, the coin market is really two tier. Anything less than 100% and it simply will not bring a full price."
Highlights from Legend’s XXIX Regency Auction included:
- H.01 1793 PCGS AU53 CAC. Price Realized: $41,125.00
- 1C 1814 PCGS MS 66 RB. Price Realized: $88,125.00
- 5C 1912-D PCGS MS67. Price Realized: $41,125.00
- 5C 1900 PCGS PR68 CAC. Price Realized: $21,150.00
- 10C 1959-D PCGS MS68 FT. Price Realized: $5,288.00
- $1 1889-CC PCGS MS63 DMPL CAC. Price Realized: $73,438.00
- $1 1924-S PCGS MS65 CAC. Price Realized: $17,038.00
- $10 1857-S PCGS MS64 CAC S.S.C.A. Price Realized: $76,375.00
- $2.50 1909 PCGS PR65 CAC. Price Realized: $88,125.00
- $3 1888 PCGS PR66+ CAC. Price Realized: $67,563.00
- $5 1795 PCGS MS62 CAC. Price Realized: $176,250.00
- $5 1811 PCGS MS64 CAC. Price Realized: $52,875.00
- $20 1906 PCGS MS66. Price Realized: $64,625.00
Many other coins sold for strong prices. "It was clear, the market wants fresh or ‘super quality’ pieces and will pay up for them every time," the company commented.
"I was sweating out as to what direction this sale was going take," said Laura Sperber, Founder of LRCA. "It wasn’t until the very last minute that collectors began appearing and really putting in strong numbers on the better coins. Right now it is all about quality".
Legend Rare Coin Auctions (www.legendauctions.com) is moving forward preparing for their fist "stand alone" sale that will be held Jan. 27 in Beverly Hills, California immediately before the Long Beach Expo. Two major collections already anchor the event which has a consignment deadline of Dec. 3.