The Royal Mint has developed a distinct collection of 18 silver proof coins celebrating the history of British motorcars. The Classic British Motorcars Silver Proof Collection includes coins featuring British cars manufactured during the first seven decades of the twentieth century.
The limited edition silver coins bear designs of world favorite cars from 1906 to the 1970s, like the Aston Martin, Rolls-Royce, Jaguar and the iconic Mini. Several Royal Mint promoted features of the collection include:
- Worldwide issue limit of just 20,000 collections
- Struck in .925 sterling silver to outstanding Proof quality
- Authorised by the Channel Island of Alderney
- Reverse designs created by Robert Elderton
- The obverse of each coin bears the portrait of Her Majesty The Queen by Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS
- Each coin is accompanied by a beautifully illustrated Storycard
- A beautiful wooden display case will accompany your sixth coin
- A series of complimentary gifts sent, as the collection grows (1st Coin – Temporary Case, 2nd Coin – Postcards, 4th Coin – Poster, 6th Coin – Case, Tray and Collection Booklet, 12th Coin – Book, 18th Coin – Collection Certificate)
A subscription service for all 18 coins enables collectors to purchase the first coin for £22.50 (live currency conversions), which is a savings of £22.45 on the full price of £44.95 for each of the remaining coins. The Mint indicates a new coin will be sent about every 28 days until the completion of the series approximately 18 months later, and that a subscription may be canceled by returning a coin within 30 days of arrival.
The first coin in the collection features the Morris Minor, and is "one of the most loved British small cars of the post-war period and celebrating its 60th anniversary."
Silver Proof Car Coins in Collection
|Aston Martin DB5||Hillman Imp||Morgan Plus Four|
|Austin Healey Sprite MK1||Land Rover Series 1||Morris Minor|
|Austin Seven ‘Baby Austin’||Lotus Elite||Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost|
|Bentley 4 ½ Litre||MGB Roadster MK1||Rover P5B|
|Bentley R-Type Continental||MG TC Midget||Triumph Herald|
|Jaguar E-Type Series 1||Mini||Vauxhall Prince Henry|
Authorised by the Channel Island of Alderney, these 18 silver Proof coins were developed in conjunction with the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust.
The collection may be ordered online through the Royal Mint product page:
Customers may also place orders by calling the Royal Mint directly at 0845 60 88 222. North America residents should use these contact details.
About the Royal Mint
The Royal Mint is a department of government and its primary responsibility remains the provision of the United Kingdom coinage. Its reputation, however, extends beyond this and internationally it has a reputation for making some fascinating coins for over 100 countries.
The history of the Royal Mint itself stretches back over 1100 years. There is an unbroken link from the scattered workshops of the moneyers of Anglo-Saxon London to a single mint within the Tower of London, from a purpose-built premises at Tower Hill to the huge modern coining plant in South Wales.
In April 1975 the Mint was established as a Government Trading Fund, operationally very similar to a government-owned company.