2017 American Palladium Eagle Bullion Coin Photos and Video

by Mike Unser on October 13, 2017 · 16 comments

This article presents a short CoinNews video and a few photos of 2017 $25 American Palladium Eagles, the United States Mint’s first issues from its new series of 1-troy ounce .9995 fine palladium bullion coins.

2017 $25 American Palladium Eagle Bullion Coins - Obverse and Reverse

A CoinNews photo showing two American Palladium Eagles. At left is the obverse design and at right is the reverse design

The Palladium Eagle’s obverse (heads side) image is a high-relief adaptation of the "Winged Liberty" design executed for the 1916 dime by American sculptor and medallic artist Adolph A. Weinman. Those 10-cent pieces were soon dubbed "Mercury dimes" because many mistook the portrait of Lady Liberty with her winged Phrygian cap as the Roman god Mercury. Inscriptions around the design include LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, 2017, and Weinman’s overlapping ‘AW’ initials.

2017 $25 American Palladium Eagle Bullion Coin - Obverse

A closer view of the obverse design on American Palladium Eagles

Coin reverses (tails side) feature a high-relief version of the Eagle design for the 1907 American Institute of Architects (AIA) Gold Medal reverse. Weinman also created it. The design was commissioned in late 1906 by the AIA for their Gold Medal award. Inscriptions include UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, $25, E PLURIBUS UNUM, and 1 oz. Pd .9995 FINE for the coin’s weight and fineness. The Palladium Eagle is produced at the Philadelphia Mint but, as with other U.S. Mint bullion coins, it has no mint mark.

2017 $25 American Palladium Eagle Bullion Coin - Reverse

A closer view of the reverse design on American Palladium Eagles

Here’s a quick CoinNews video of an American Palladium Eagle rotating, showing both coin sides and the edge:

The AIA was instrumental in helping with the coin’s reverse, giving the U.S. Mint access to a 14-inch diameter plaster for the medal and an actual 1907 2-1/4-inch AIA gold medal. The U.S. Mint digitally scanned the plaster and photographed the medal to aid in their design work. This Mint video shows how the plaster was scanned:

The palladium coin joins three other American Eagle bullion products, the American Silver Eagle, American Gold Eagle and American Platinum Eagle. Its size is nearest the 1 oz. Gold Eagle but none match its thickness.

Here are photos showing Silver, Palladium and Gold Eagles side by side:

Obverses of American Ealge Silver, Palladium and Gold Bullion Coins

American Eagle Silver, Palladium and Gold Bullion Coins standing on their edges (obverses shown)

Edges of American Ealge Silver, Palladium and Gold Bullion Coins

American Eagle Silver, Palladium and Gold Bullion Coins lying flat

For more comparisons of the same coins in the photos above, this table lists their specifications:

Gold Eagle Palladium Eagle Silver Eagle
Denomination: $5; $10; $25; and $50 $25 $1
Composition: .9167 gold; .03 silver; and .0533 copper .9995 fine palladium .999 fine silver
Weight (troy oz): 1/10, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 1 1
Weight (grams): 3.393; 8.483; 16.966 and 33.931 31.1035 31.1032
Diameter (mm): 16.5; 22.0; 27.0; and 32.7 32.7 40.6
Thickness (mm): 1.19; 1.83; 2.24; and 2.87 * 2.98
Edge: Reeded Reeded Reeded
Reverse Designer Miley Frances Busiek Adolph A. Weinman John Mercanti
Obverse Designer Augustus Saint-Gaudens Adolph A. Weinman Adolph A. Weinman

*An official U.S. Mint figure for the Palladium Eagle’s thickness was not available at the time this article was published. The measurement will be updated when it becomes available.

Public Law 111-303 authorized the Secretary of the Treasury to strike and issue palladium bullion coins on an annual basis.

On Sept. 25, 2017, the U.S. Mint kicked off Palladium Eagle bullion sales through its network of bullion distributors, called Authorized Purchasers (AP’s). A week earlier, the agency said it would issue the coins at a 6.25% premium over the prevailing price of palladium and on an allocated basis, noting that it would not offer more in 2017 after depletion of their initial inventory. All available 15,000 coins sold in the first day.

The United States Mint can also produce proof and uncirculated editions for collectors. A proof version is planned for 2018.

In ending, here are several additional CoinNews photos of Palladium Eagles:

Photo of 2017 $25 American Eagle Palladium Bullion Coin (Obverse)

Obverse photo

2017 $25 American Palladium Eagle Bullion Coin - Obverse-a

Another obverse photo

Photo of 2017 $25 American Eagle Palladium Bullion Coin (Reverse)

Reverse photo

2017 $25 American Palladium Eagle Bullion Coin - Reverse-a

Another reverse photo

Top View of 2017 $25 American Palladium Eagle Bullion Coins - Obverse and Reverse

A higher view of both designs

RoosterMI October 13, 2017 at 4:31 pm

What a beautiful coin.

TMoney_Detroit October 13, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I have been waiting for this coin for awhile. When I tried to talk to people about it no one knew what I was talking about. They didn’t even know that Palladium was a precious metal traded on the exchange like gold and silver. Earlier this year I wrote a letter to the US Mint ask if they were going to produce the coin. The Mint actually wrote me back to confirm it was going to be produced in late 2017. When the release date was approaching I made a visit to 2 of the local bullion dealers, with printout articles in hand about the coin. They looked at me like I was from another world. I finally found a online dealer that was taking pre-orders on the coin. I placed my order and they delivered it. While reading this article I have the coin next to me and yes I do have a big smile on my face. I paid $109 over spot price. Now it is sold out everywhere and online dealers are asking $1,500 – $3k for the coin. Since only 15,000 have been struct by the Mint and they were all sold on the release date that means all the Palladium coins are first strike. As long as the Mint keeps it’s promise not to produce anymore coins in 2017 my smile will be very big. Finally, yes it is a very beautiful coin, and it is high relief.

Joe Brown October 13, 2017 at 10:18 pm

that is one nice looking coin, congrat’s to all who got their hands on one or more. lets hope they don,t try to squeeze out more before the new year. highly unlike,lee tho. Big part of US Mint coinage history, double high relief , first palladium, & only 15,000 minted.

mjc October 14, 2017 at 7:08 am

I was fortunate enough to stumble on to these (though I’ve seen articles about their being made for years now) just a couple of days before they started to sell out everywhere. Very excited for my coin, just stunning. It would likely grade MS-70. I hope the mint takes some cues from the success of this coin and applies them to future releases. I really like how chunky it feels in the hand and that deep strike. Not to mention both sides of the coin are great designs. My only worry now is that the mint will do something foolish for the 1st proof version and make zillions. At least I got one of the 15000 of these, the real home run!

Seth Riesling October 14, 2017 at 10:46 am

Mike Unser & CoinNews readers FYI –

Thanks for posting your photos & video Mr. Unser!

Even though this is the Mint’s first high relief bullion version coin, they still packaged them in plastic tubes of 10 coins each all touching on each other like the silver, gold & platinum bullion coins. Each plastic “monster” box contains 4 tubes for a total of 50 coins. I noticed a rim nick on your coin Mike Unser on the obverse in between the “L” & “I” in the word “Liberty” & possible abrasions on Liberty’s neck. That would probably only grade at 69. There are some of these new palladium coins grading 70 with a “Prooflike” designation & most of these bullion coins are grading at 70. The Mint did a good job on these, but needs to put a thin piece of some type of protection between each one since they are the thickest bullion version coin they produce, especially since most dealers & collectors are getting these graded since there are only 15,000 struck.

Happy collecting everyone!

-NumisdudeTX

Kahoola October 14, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Beautiful coin. Still, troubled by the date being tilted. Can understand the dime, date very small but this is a larger coin, date more visible. Same thing with the gold merc.

Munzen October 15, 2017 at 11:44 am

Gorgeous! The “Mercury” [sic] design’s always been one of my favorites. I’d love to see the same images replicated on a circulating coin, even if only for a year or two. Nothing like getting a brand-new Merc in change!

Joe Brown October 15, 2017 at 9:17 pm

the more i look at it, that is the best i coin iv,e seen sent,s i don,t know when. that double high relief & finish on the palladium makes a big different,s , i like lady Mercury, but that’s the best Eagle on any coin i have just about ever seen. The Mexican Libertad lady obverse and Eagle & snake for supper would be something else in double high relief, i love that statue of Lady Libertad she’s gorgeous. Its on my to do list before i pass, maybe when i can tap into my 401 & zig*zag to the west coast to Oregon ride the Oregon trail in my 02 dodge pickup, buy a shack on side of mountain looking over the pacific with outhouse 1/4 moon door of course, stay for the spring, than cruise down to San Fran bay over the Golden Gate park it get out & walk to the center, & head back south east throw N*M* check out Galviston, TX. go for swim, head on down threw Tiawana, Mex check out some club fights then to Miss Libertade to say whats up, gotta get new mans best friend my old pal hennessy & big red will be in sprit they would,int miss that ride for anything. i tought i just did all that for a few minutes, thank God for a nice dream every now & then, keep ya moving. But that is a real nice coin. smile*+* & peace.

Seth Riesling October 15, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Mike Mezack on his tv coin collector show on HSN is offering these graded by third-rate service ANACS in MS-69 at $1999 & in ANACS MS-70 at $2199 plus S&H & sales tax! & he doesn’t even have any graded with the “Prooflike” designation. What a ripoff! So sad, as Trump would say.

-NumisdudeTX

Tinto October 16, 2017 at 11:54 am

I read somewhere that the Mint had taken extra care to package this Palladium coin even having a reduced packing to minimize contact and that is the reason for the 69 and 70 prooflikes …. sounds like the Mint did a special favor to the AP’s .. if this was pure bullion then I dunno why the Mint couldn’t package it like any other bullion .. and of course the fact that it was in high relief makes me want to go “hmmm… why?” and that the mintage was known to the AP’s before the release .. collusion here?

sam tweedy October 17, 2017 at 9:01 am

Tilted date I like it stay away from EBAY!!! RIP OFF!!!

Millhouse1973 October 17, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Ebay is the only place to get these right now. They are sold out at every dealer which is making them scarce and also increasing demand even further. They are a steal at any price under $2k for a graded 70. After the holidays there will be none left anywhere. At that point they will be $3000-$4000 if you can even find one. This coin has everything going for it. New American Eagle, First in series, New precious metal content, The key date likely with an all time low mintage, and in my opinion the most beautiful design of any American Eagle series. It doesn’t get much better than that! Get one now if you can!

Jim Woodburn October 17, 2017 at 3:45 pm

I have a mis struck 1 oz palladium 2017 winged liberty. Has anyone else discovered one? Regards, Jim

Joe Brown October 17, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Jim Woodburn – not i because i don,t have one, but what did the mint miss on the new coin? that would be very rare with only 15000 minted, good luck.

T October 17, 2017 at 11:14 pm

I ordered a MS 69 from APMEX on Sept 19 for about $1080 and I finally received a notice that it’s on its way. I think APMEX started offering pre-sales on Sept 18 and I was afraid that I was already too late by the 19th. It seems like there was a good chance at getting one on pre-sale back then.

I think APMEX is still expecting more of these coins to return from the graders and they currently have an “alert me” option on their site. My coin wasn’t in the first batch that returned from the graders so it shipped out late. I’m not sure how many batches they have still coming in. They do have a MS 70 listed available for $1600+.

Such a great coin!!!! Can’t wait to actually get it. If I had a do over I would have purchased a MS 70. I recall it was around $1150 on the 19th. I don’t normally care for MS 70 v 69 but this coin is the exception.

Can’t wait for the 2018 proof!!! If I didn’t get a 2017 I was still looking forward to the first proof palladium. No flipped coins for me. I’d rather not have it.

T

Jim Woodburn October 18, 2017 at 10:24 am

Joe Brown, It appears to be a little off center leaving a raised ridge around part of the coin. Regards, Jim