March of Dimes Special Silver Set Limited to 75,000

by Mike Unser on March 6, 2015 · 28 comments

More information about the three-coin 2015 March of Dimes Special Silver Set has been revealed. The United States Mint just announced its limits, provided a release date and published an image of the 90% silver set.

2015 March of Dimes Special Silver Set

U.S. Mint image of the set and its packaging. Coins come in a plush black clamshell case with silver trim and black cardboard outer box and sleeve.

Discussed here last month, the special silver set is one of three U.S. Mint products that will commemorate the 75th anniversary of the March of Dimes Foundation. It will include:

• One proof 2015-W March of Dimes Proof Silver Dollar from West Point,
  • One reserve proof 2015-P Roosevelt Silver Dime from Philadelphia, and
  • One proof 2015-W Roosevelt Silver Dime from West Point

This is the first time the U.S. Mint has produced a proof silver dime from West Point and a reverse proof silver dime. And these two dimes are only available in the silver set, the Mint stated. All three coins of the set carry a mint mark denoting their production location.

Limits and Release Date

Priced at $61.95, the March of Dimes Special Silver Set has a launch date of noon (ET) on May 4, 2015. The other two products of the commemorative program, the collector proof and uncirculated March of Dimes Silver Dollars, launch next Friday, March 13, 2015.

A product limit of 75,000 sets is in place along with a household ordering limit of 5 sets.

Anyone stopping by the American Numismatic Association’s National Money Show in Portland can see sets on display. The show at the Oregon Convention Center ends this Saturday at 4 PM PT.

wt March 6, 2015 at 10:07 am

Seems reasonable??

JOE #2 March 6, 2015 at 10:23 am

pass

Richard March 6, 2015 at 10:26 am

Certainly will be interest from anyone who collects dimes. In my opinion the mint is producing far too many products, but this one might do well. I’m in.

senior March 6, 2015 at 10:29 am

The flippers may do well out the gate but will fade quickly.The 75, number is a bummer.I’ll buy a 1 set.

Victor DeCurtis March 6, 2015 at 10:35 am

I’ll take my five sets. 🙂

Dale March 6, 2015 at 11:22 am

in for one as usual..

Jack March 6, 2015 at 1:09 pm

5 for me, 5 for mom, 5 for my bother and 5 for Fluffy the cat!

jim March 6, 2015 at 1:37 pm

While the silver $1 carries the $10 surcharge at least the dimes are surcharge free.

JOE #2 March 6, 2015 at 1:44 pm

wonder if there will be spots or smudges. wouldn’t surprise me.

profitter March 6, 2015 at 8:55 pm

I will buy 5 sets for resale and keep 1
May be earned $25-$40 per set , watch this year Black Horse 2014 silver limited set, and Kennedy chronicles set 🙂

vadim March 7, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Agree, the 75k is too high but will sell faster then gold Kennedy. I’ll get a set or two, why not.

Kevin March 8, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Does anybody remember the silver Braille flop? It’s still fresh on my mind. So…. No thanks on this product.

I buy to both collect and resell. The reselling offsets my collecting costs. I don’t envision buyers clamoring for this in the aftermarket.

Maybe when silver price manipulation ends, interest in coins will resume. But it’s a terribly dormant market right now. I’ll pass.

Senior March 9, 2015 at 1:17 am

Markets In all segments are manipulated,as for the minted collectibles the so called collector flippers needs to be responsible.There have always been ups and downs in commodities.Technology and buyer mentality are today’s key.Have you collected pre ebay yahoo Twitter.Believe it or not there were women men children who collected with not thought off profit.Have you ever seen an add run by the U.S. mint advocating profit..

PAul March 9, 2015 at 10:02 am

I think you mean a reverse proof not reserve. But if it is a new variety…

jim March 9, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Kevin – I remember the silver braille, don’t understand your comparison between it and this coin set.

Kahoola March 9, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Officially enhanced coins have been produced since 2013; the 2013W eagle, 2014D golden dollar and 2014S silver Kennedy.
Reverse proofs started 2006; 2006P eagle, 2007W $50 platinum, 2011P eagle, 2012S eagle, 2013W $50 buffalo; 2013W eagle, 2014W Kennedy (think that is all).
It is possible to collect all the official enhanced and silver reverse proof coins without breaking the bank. Getting the gold and platinum might be a little pricey.
Will pick up the set to get the reverse proof dime to continue the reverse silver proof series.

Joe March 9, 2015 at 10:36 pm

I’m buying it for the first ever reverse proof dime and the first West Point proof dime. Probably the only ones that will ever be minted.

jim March 10, 2015 at 10:53 am

Don’t expect a huge windfall if you try to sell them. Dimes are traditionally not a very collectable coin.

bobby March 10, 2015 at 3:41 pm

I am not going to by the set I might get the reverse proof graded some were else if I buy one at all. the kennedy,s didnt do to much why would the dimes?. any collectable has a value regardless of if you plan on selling them or not .sooner or later somone else is going to get them. if I am going to buy something new I want the best. if I am going to leave it to the kids I want them to have the same. a frend of mine has a coin shop he might sell a coin for a profit. the only way he can is he dosnt pay much for them. i have 8 1922 high relief peace dollars one for each kid. or if needed something for me. the rest is boxes of stuff that I don’t no what to do with. god help my wife when I go.

Joe March 10, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Wow that’s great bobby. Eight 1922 high relief peace dollars. Only 35,401 minted. They go for $75,000 each in matte proof 65. I’m sure you that.

bobby March 11, 2015 at 8:40 am

$14 there is one on e bay for $24 he will take less

bobby March 11, 2015 at 1:26 pm

I started collecting stamps in the 60s my grandmother gave me one from each of the plate block,s she got from her dad. they were worth something then.I was selling troter forms at Rockingham race track in Salem NH.in 69 my dad would go thru my hole $2 dollars? each day he was the coin collector. in the late 80s to 96 I had a card shop. I was getting CC Morgans for a Montana RC worth ten bucks today .I had peace dollar sets for $300 and no one wanted them. silver was $5 bucks when I shut the doors. if I paid $500 bucks for any coin. it was only after I asked my dad if he wanted it. look at coin prices in late 80s early 90s Its great that a TV show paid $80,000 for a MS66 peace dollar. he probably has a PSA 10 / 52 Mantle that’s not worth half it was in 96.
I sold 4 of my 5 kennedy sets for a profit there still available at the mint?
I am not trying to blow smoke and I am not trying to win the man with the most stuff wins game.
The only point I was trying to make in my opinion. was I have been collecting something for over 45 years. coins are hot right now and everyone is buying and selling them. it dosnt always matter how many were made. sooner or latter the price will come down? they said most of the high relief 22 peacs dollars were melted more show up every day. they also said the same about the pre 1930 gold coins there are 100 each night on 3 different channels. CC Morgans collectors were not very happy when Nixon flooded the market with them.
my dad was.
If you want to make money on anything sell them when there hot and buy them when there not. another opinion
I just thought I would share my opinion of years of collecting stuff with others to be carful what you spend your money on. collectables run in cycles.
I thought that this was what this site was about sharing opinions?.

wt March 12, 2015 at 11:24 am

Well said!! A very small % of coins put out by the mint in this century were winners today!! Best to turn over for a profit and move on OR hold very long term?????

Dennis March 21, 2015 at 7:26 am

I want a set of the Silver Dollar and the two dimes! It will be the second dime from West Point Mint,the first was special dime from mint set.

james penne March 23, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I think these dimes are special. I’m in for 1 set to add to my collection, will pass these unique silver dimes along to my granddaughter.

Mike May 4, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Placed my order on May 4th at 1:00 said they are on backorder until August must of sold a lot the first hour oh well just have to wait until August to receive them.

Robert Stuck May 7, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Ordered my five March of Dines sets exactly 12 noon Tuesday 5-4-2015. Received by U.P. S. Thursday 05-7-2015 @2:30. Not too Bad…

Richard June 4, 2015 at 8:52 am

Was on back order till August, but on June 2nd told it was being shipped. Looks like the mint is getting more efficient.