50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Product Limits Set

by Mike Unser on October 24, 2014 · 32 comments

There are now product limits for the 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection and Uncirculated Coin Set

The United States Mint has announced a 300,000 product limit for its upcoming four-coin 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection and a 200,000 product limit for its already released two-coin 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set.

Coin News Update: On Nov. 24, the U.S. Mint trimmed the limit of the four-coin silver collection to 225,000.

In another bit of news, the U.S. Mint has upped the number of four-coin sets that are ready for shipping. In anticipation of high demand, more than 180,000 sets will be immediately available when they go on sale Tuesday, Oct. 28, at noon EDT. The initial figure provided to CoinNews.net in September was 150,000. This collection, priced at $99.95, includes four Kennedy half-dollars struck in 90% silver in four different finishes, one from each of the U.S. Mint’s coin production facilities.

50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin Sets launched on July 24 for $9.95. Set sales as of Sunday stand at 134,631, leaving 65,369 left based on the new limit. This set includes a 2014-P Kennedy half-dollar struck in Philadelphia and a 2014-D Kennedy half-dollar struck in Denver.

No changes have been announced for the 1964-2014 24K 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin, which was released on Aug. 5. Currently listed at $1,202.50, sales of the dual-dated coin are at 64,303. It has no limits.

This year there are thirteen different Kennedy half-dollars with six regular annual issues and seven 50th anniversary coins featuring a restored 1964 portrait of Kennedy. Here’s a grid breaking down some of the essentials of the 50th anniversary products:

Product  Included Coins Composition Product Limit Sales
50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Gold Proof Coin 2014-W Proof Gold 50c .9999 Gold None 64,303
50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Silver Coin Collection 2014-P Proof Silver 50c 90% Silver, 10% Copper 300,000 N/A
2014-W Reverse Proof Silver 50c
2014-D Uncirculated Silver 50c
2014-S Enhanced Uncirculated Silver 50c
50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set 2014-P Uncirculated Clad 50c 8.33% Nickel, Balance Copper 200,0000 134,631
2014-D Uncirculated Clad 50c

Available products may be purchased from the U.S. Mint by visiting catalog.usmint.gov or calling 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Household order limits for both sets stand at five per household.

Also, the Mint is encouraging all customers to access their user accounts prior to making online purchases. And, if they haven’t done so already, reset their password.

Kevin October 24, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Too much to hope for a price break. They know they will sell a boatload.

Jp October 24, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I’m glad they set a limit on these coins, now we only need a time frame…I’m not convinced of a sell out. December 31st should be it. They must be getting some FLAK from enough people about non committal of coin limits.

Eddie October 24, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Personally, I think they are taking away it’s uniqueness by setting the limit so high. I agree, it will not sell out. Recent history tells us that 250,000 would have been more appropriate.

jim October 26, 2014 at 10:05 am

Congress had no hand in these coins so no quantity limits or time limits. They’ll make 300,000 and sell them all, eventually – maybe not until 2015 or 2016, but they’ll sell them all.
In my opinion no coin should be sold past Dec 31 of its year.

Does that mean there could be 180,000 first strike grader labels?

RonnieBGood October 26, 2014 at 11:39 am

Jim – Yes.
The 180k of the 4 coin Silver Set that has been Minted will be Shipped in time to be graded as an Early Release or a First Strike or a First Day of Issue or the First 100 Struck or… oh well, you get the picture!

JP & Eddie, I agree.
Mintage limits should have been set initially and should have included the Gold Kennedy Issue. I am not opposed to the US Mint making money but they must be Careful. Collectability and Demand must be taken into account as well as Profits. The Mint has the ability to create their own Market for US Coins (a luxury afforded to very few in the Business world). Flood the market with too much Product and the Price and Demand will go down. An approach for Mintages of Special Collectables should be to mint a bit less then expected Demand (vs more than expected demand). This will provide enough coins for most that Collect them while creating Demand and Interest in continued collecting (with quick sell-outs) and increase prices for theses issues in the future (with limited mintages), a bonus for both Collectors and Dealers.

Eddie October 26, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Ronniebgood,
Very well stated.
In my opinion, the US Mint had an opportunity to make this 50th Kennedy Anniversary commemorative collection a true classic in the hobby of coin collecting, instead, nobody will remember it as special in a couple of years from now. Like you say, they have nobody competing against them in making US coins, you would think somebody in there would be familiar with the concept of “supply & demand”
What decisions like these causes is less young age collectors interested in joining in.

JOE #2 October 26, 2014 at 3:14 pm

After the disaster of the 3/4 gold proof Kennedy, It soured me on the silver as well. I think after awhile once the hoopla calms down, These will be no big deal either. jmho

Colec October 26, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I tend to agree with both Eddie and Joe#2. I’ll be on the site Tuesday but want to make another purchase. I’ll decide at that time which way I want to go. Its really disappointing to have so many of these classic coins available. Sorry. And to agree with Eddie, I think people will more remember the HOF Baseball coins, than these new Kennedy commemoratives.

jim October 27, 2014 at 8:50 am

Deputy Director Peterson is a worker bee who has been put in a manager position and doesn’t understand the BUSINESS of US Mint sales. He has screwed up mint releases before and will continue to do so in the future as he seems incapable of learning from his mistakes.

JOE #2 October 27, 2014 at 9:42 am

The main issue ( to me anyway ), Is that the grading system ( pcgs…ngc ) is making a “mint” getting these coins graded. I can understand grading U.S. rare coins for authenticity and grade, But i can’t understand for the life of me why people get PROOF COINS graded.. Yes, They want the “first strikes” “early releases” “first day of issue” And so on and so on.This to me has destroyed the hobby or collectors values. The 3/4 ounce proof 24k Kennedy proved that. Most folks today buy the GRADE not the COIN. Does it really matter from the mint if the coin is a “69 or”70”?? It’s a persons opinion anyway. I have seen better 69’s than 70’s. Plus, I think it’s better to keep the coin(s) straight from the O.G.P., Because when they take the coin(s) out of them to be graded, A lot of contamination happens ( could cause copper or carbon spots) As well as you don’t know if by accident someone in the process touches the coin(s), And those spots will show up in months or years to come, And the “sticker” If it’s a 70, Won’t be a “70” anymore. It got to be a big business. Not a positive one as far as i’m concerned. Leave the dang Coin(s) in the O.G.P.’s, Plus you’re paying quite a bit for grading, Shipping, Insurance…

JOE #2 October 27, 2014 at 9:44 am

Correction… Should read, People buy the sticker, Not the coin.

Kahoola October 27, 2014 at 8:06 pm

It is not the job of the Mint to make speculators rich. The job is to try to make attractive, high quality coins and to try to pay their way so the taxpayers don’t. It seems that they have mostly succeeded. Don’t buy coins just to make a buck, buy them for their beauty and what they commemorate. If the value goes up, the more power to you. The “classic” commemoratives were high production for the time, so that they sold for years after issue and sometimes put in circulation. So maybe it is indicative of increased collector interest that somebody is willing to buy so many of these coins today.

RonnieBGood October 27, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Kahoola,
Read my post above again. I agree with you.
But when any product becomes awash in the market the interest for the product declines. A limited or rare item will always spark interest. My hope is that Coin collecting will not die out with the 50+ year old white males that are currently the Coin Collecting majority.

jim October 28, 2014 at 10:37 am

No one else in my family is interested in coin collecting so I guess I’m one of the die outs. I guess I should start thinking about selling and spending the proceeds.

RJ October 29, 2014 at 6:20 pm

IM sick of hearing about First Strikes as the mint does not keep in order count it merely meens it was turned in for gradeing preferably PCGS before the 30 day periode expires.The Gold Kennedy is beautiful and i got mine in on time so far only 64,000 sold lots cancelled.The 4 coin set 85,670 in the first 12 hours pretty amazeing.I wounder what the T.V RIPOFFS WILL GET ngc to label next since they seem to cater to them FootBall Beach Volley ball who nows, i do agree with JOE#2 I Buy multipule sets and Have some graded and like to keep OGP”S and i use a 60 watt haolgen and a H.E.Harris wide field 10x loupe to look for cleaning or imperfections.

RJ October 29, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Another reason i have my coins graded is they are safe forever and can be enjoyed anytime i touch my them. Raw i have my oxygen certified cotton cloves and mask especially raw coins any oil from fingers will hurt coins value and gradeing isnt 1 persons opinion 2 people look at coin under magnification if they dont agree it go”s to Master grader who looks at coin under higher magnification and decides grade.These coins are handled by profesionals with masks and gloves the novice would stand a greater chance of contamination than at PCGS or NGC with guarantees. Members of the ANA PNG the medical plastic is the same used in the Smithsonian institute.I save coins up and its cheaper, with the prices of coins some1s collecting : ) Good Hunting!

JOE #2 October 29, 2014 at 8:26 pm

RJ.. From what i understand as far as pcgs grading. They do not wear cotton gloves. They use there bare hands so they don’t drop the coin while grading. They want to make sure they have a good grasp on the coin. I also belive from pics i saw while they were grading they do not wear any masks. I could be wrong, But from the pcgs grading pics i saw, None of those 2 items were used.

Jp October 29, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Joe#2 and RJ-
The same goes for NGC. Watch their online video. They do not wear gloves. In fact they seem to handle the coins rather “roughly” . Surprised the he!! out of me. I also don’t really care for the office staff when you call them on the phone to try to solve an issue or get something submitted. They are a bit short so to speak.

RJ October 29, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Thats interesting cause i get a better grip wearing the cotton some like the poly but i was told when i talked to them they do wear gloves PCGS and im into older coins?It would scare me to think they are not being careful or useing protection with Double Eagles or any coin im paying to have graded. I dont like how ngc seems to cater to the T.V. Crooks i wish i could say but i might get sued but a certain place $395.00 4 peice Kennedy set? I have been collecting for quite a spell and i cant believe some of the things they trick people into as a deal when silver closed at $17.11 oz. and they make bullion copies for $27.00 and with a southern twang say this cant be right ya”ll, as im from the south it”s embarresin to say the least.I will check into this and appriciate Joe2 an JP”S input sure dont like bein lied to.1 thing i bought several gold Kennedys and its like hes floatin on the coin beautiful! Good Evening….

james penne October 30, 2014 at 7:03 pm

HSN TV ripoff guy is already selling (pro 70) his for almost $500.
I had my order placed online with the mint within 2 minutes of openning. This is October 30, and it should be delivered tomorrow, October 31. I lucked out and was one of 14000 to have their order ship the 28.
I agree with another person, leave them in OGP, that’s how coin collecting got started. All this proof stuff is for the birds.
I’ve got an old, well worn Morgan silver dollar, most would probably call it scrap ,, but I look at what history this coin has seen and wonder whose hands have held it. No it doesn’t have an NGC label on it, the label doesn’t make coin or history, which is what coin collecting should be.

Charlie November 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm

All,

How does this guy get away with it. In the morning he is hawking the state quarters, terrorties, etc. for outrageous prices. Why is there no Congressional oversight of these guys and the other guy, Barry on the Coin and Art network? How many people have to be fleeced before someone steps in and puts a stop to it. And why is a coin struck on the first day more valuable than a coin say struck on the third day. When the process is IDENTICAL? How did we as collectors allow this to happen? It seems to hurt the hobby not help it. It “tricks” people into thinking a first strike is more valuable when in fact it is NOT!!!!!

jim November 3, 2014 at 11:49 pm

“There’s a fool born every minute.”

Charlie November 4, 2014 at 8:28 am

One other thing, while I am venting, the “bait and switch” game played by the on TV Network coin dealers. When I was brand new to the hobby I “bought in” to buying some Morgan’s from the Coin Network. They looked beautiful on TV. What I got was nothing like they displayed on TV. I fought to get my money back. I had to threaten them with copying all of my correspondence to my State Attorney General., Only then did they agree to give me my money back. Naturally I have never bought anything from any TV network again. My rule now: I have to see it and hold it before I buy it.

jim November 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm

So no buying from the mint for you.

Charlie November 5, 2014 at 9:37 am

Jim, Sorry, your right, I should have clarified that, EXCEPT for direct from the mint. Thanks for pointing that out.

RJ November 15, 2014 at 8:05 pm

The problem with TV Coin RipOff Shows is it hurts the new collectors people get burned and turn away its to bad something cant be done.Theres rules and regulations for everything else under the sun why not over priced Coin Crooks?Although i have a large collection of graded Morgans Walkers and so on i have old morgans franklins and kennedys that my grandpa gave me to start my interest in coin collecting so i hear what your saying james penne sometimes i look at them and wounder who might have held that old 1879 morgan but if this hobbie is going to grow some kind of regulations are needed i paid a little over 500.00 for 5 sets and they sell a 70 set for almost that?And now mint lifting limits i wish they wouldnt have done that more for Coin Crooks.The US MINT CATERING SERVICE?? Really ashame they bite the hand that feeds them.

tom December 12, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Right…let’s regulate the sale of collector coins. Bad idea, moron. If people want to pony up the money these shysters are charging, oh well, buyer beware. Government regulation IS NOT and has NEVER BEEN a logical answer.

Carl January 4, 2015 at 4:23 pm

It appears to me that 225,000 sets on the 50th anniversary of John f. Kennedy was too much. I purchased two sets after reading an article about them. It was more like don’t lose out on this opportunity to own this set because the value will go through the roof. This mintage is really low I think for this set. They were released in Oct by the us mint and, as of now still sitting on at least 35,000 sets. Trying to wrap my head around this one.

Carl January 4, 2015 at 4:44 pm

I think with a 225,000 mintage limit these 50th Anniversary sets should have sold out in one month. I believe John F. Kennedy was one of our most beloved presidents and, taking in to account of how his life was ended you just can’t forget him. Even if this set appreciated a lot it would be hard for me to let this go.

jim January 5, 2015 at 10:34 am

Not sure how high the roof is in your house but I don’t expect anything I buy from the mint to go through the roof at my house. Kennedy half dollars are particularly rare as far as the general public goes but they do mint all that demand requires so the market for them is sated.

Jude July 24, 2015 at 2:10 am

hard for a novice voice to understand why the 4 coin set is still available from the mint
seems like a great deal to me

jim July 25, 2015 at 7:57 pm

It’s because everybody who wants 1, 2, 5, or however many has already bought them. The market is sated and nobody wants any more even though more are available. Buy ’em if you want but their value won’t go up for a long while if ever and since Kennedy fans are dying out these days the set’s attraction is becoming dimmer and dimmer.