2013-W Enhanced American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin Images

by Mike Unser on March 20, 2013 · 39 comments

For most coin collectors, uncirculated coins take a back seat to proofs. That could change. An uncirculated Silver Eagle with an enhanced finish is poised to change the popularity landscape.

2013-W Enhanced American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin

Images of the 2013-W Enhanced American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin

Exhibiting brilliant elements that artistically complement its classic designs, the United States Mint this year will offer a 2013-W Enhanced American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin as part of the 2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set.

Looking at images of the enhanced American Eagle, it’s plain to see that special care and original productions methods were employed to create its unique appearance. The result is more like what everyone has become accustomed to during the 26 years of American Eagle Silver Proof Coins. A tug of war of whether to call the Silver Eagle a proof or uncirculated coin could ensue between collectors as a result, a savvy even if unattended marketing upshot for the upcoming two-coin silver set.

A close inspection of the enhanced Silver Eagle images is clearly remindful of uncirculated Eagles from the past. And while elements of the coin are brilliant, they don’t quite have that mirror-like shine of proofs.

Obverse Image of 2013-W Enhanced American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin

Obverse Image of 2013-W Enhanced American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin – Click Coin Image to Enlarge It

Uncirculated… proof… does it really matter? This coin will have immense appeal for collectors of the series no matter how many are made. Its presentation pulls at the mind like magic. Adolph A. Weinman’s design of Lady Liberty striding toward the sunrise is more than enhanced. One can almost see real color in the draping of the Stars and Stripes.

Reverse Image of 2013-W Enhanced American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin

Reverse Image of 2013-W Enhanced American Eagle Silver Uncirculated Coin – Click Coin Image to Enlarge It

The 2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set will include the enhanced uncirculated American Eagle and a reverse proof American Eagle. These coins will not be sold separately. Pricing is unknown, as is the release date for the set other than a general time of May or June.

Victor March 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Now, this is what the mint should be doing! Enhancing the coins, we are so familiar with, making them even more desirable, and making sets, which have coins, not duplicated in other offers. This way, Even if we open the damn box to see our purchases, NGC, PCGS and whatever other grading service decides to negate our purchases because it didn’t have an unbroken seal. I have 5 opened 2006, 3 coin ASE sets that only the reverse proof can be certified as coming from the set because I had the audacity to want to see if any of my coins were damaged. I also have 5, 2011, 5 coin ASE sets, that haven’t been opened, because, God forbid, I want them to be graded, as a set. Damn, this hobby is becoming so complicated. Sign me up for 5 sets.

Bubba March 20, 2013 at 3:53 pm

It is a nice looking coin. The 2-coin set should be really popular.

ROS March 20, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Whew!
I hope they do the ol 1-5 per address limit!
Fliptastic!

jim March 20, 2013 at 8:05 pm

enhanced uncirculated? I think they need to come up with a new name. Not that silver eagles were ever circulated, but at least the uncirculated eagles had the finish and appearance that other uncirculated coins had. Now that’s changed. This is clearly a step above the standard uncirculated and a step below the proof. Embellished? Enhanced? Modified? Improved? -or- Collectors coin? Collectable? Special? Sub Proof ?(ugh) Minor Proof?
I’ve questioned the worthiness or purpose of uncirculated coins but this goes beyond uncirculated and deserves an appropriate non uncirculated name.

Kevin March 21, 2013 at 12:14 am

Enhancement without surgery. I’m in!

Alan March 21, 2013 at 3:34 am

Now this is an example of raising the minting artform… playing with the possibilities of stamped metal… I like it.

thePhelps March 21, 2013 at 8:18 am

Just think next year they can do a variation on this one and reverse the enhancement fields and call it a reversed enhanced uncirculated ASE. I’m in for a couple of sets of these.

Brian V. March 21, 2013 at 8:30 am

They don’t mention the enhncement process. Buy looking at the photos it seems certain areas of the devices have a proof quality…look at the stipes in the flowing gown. The reverse shield stripes, and raised ribbon in eagles beak. It reminds me of the incused lettering on Perth Mint’s Lunar 2 Year of Dragon. Not sure if the laser cutting of dies help produce this effect, but it looks cool in photo, and will bite the bullet to pay to own the first effort.
Victor & Jim… I agree with both of your comments. I open

Brian V. March 21, 2013 at 8:49 am

Victor & Jim… I agree with both of your comments. I open them like a kid on
Xmas morning…I pop those boxes while at post office. My mint items are not for sale, so I refuse to grade. I know the results of aftermarket values of graded coins, but prefer the original packaging presentation. And I’m sure NGC,PCGS, & ANACS will each have different grade prefixes; ie MS, PF, SP, UCAM, DCAM….just have to wait and see where this item falls in their esteemed judgement to know what to call them…lol. But, serious kudos to the mint for listeneing to the collector universe !!!

Joe March 21, 2013 at 11:34 am

Not too many ways to enhance the American Silver Eagle left. Their is always the opposite of the reverse proof. I’m sure there are a couple of other ways. The mint has not used the Denver mint mark yet. I would hate to see them color the Silver Eagle in anyway. The US mint did a great job with this one. My hat is off to them.

Victor March 21, 2013 at 11:46 am

Brian et al, it looks as if we have a winner! The concensus is that the mint has done the hobby, proud. Don’t anyone tell them, they could change their minds. Joe, I’ve wondered for some time now, why the Denver Mint has not been used.

nicholas March 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm

looks just like a reverse proof to me

Ken March 21, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Enhanced Uncirculated?

Enhirculated………

RonnieBGood March 21, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Faster than speeding inflation, It’s Super Coin!

New and Improved Uncirculated (at least they did not try a colorized coin).

I’m in!

george glazener March 21, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I like ‘em too. Buy me one Ronnie. I’m poor and need the govt. to take care of me,,!!

annie March 21, 2013 at 6:35 pm

this set should limited to just 200,000 set. higher than that is just another bullion related issue. there should be a household limit to just one set.

Sam March 21, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I agree with everyone here. The Mint has finally listened to the collectors and has produced a very appealing coin in my opinion. This coin really “enhances” the beauty of the designs both obverse and reverse in a classy way. This is truly a superb coin and I commend the Mint for doing a great job!! Can’t wait to order a few sets.

jim March 21, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Joe -
I’ve suggested an inverse proof or negative proof before where the design sinks into the coin – what a die looks like for our current coins. Maybe they’ll do that sometime.

Joe March 22, 2013 at 1:21 am

jim – kind of like the gold U.S. Indian Head coins from 1908 to 1929 with the (incuse) sunken design. Their big bucks now. Maybe U.S. Mint will do it at the Denver mint. That would be great. Then they can go out with a bang. Then they can start a new silver dollar.

jim March 22, 2013 at 5:54 am

Yeah, I think so. But I don’t think the current silver dollar will go away anytime soon. It’s been the most popular coin they’ve ever minted so they won’t mess with that. They’ll have anomalies like the reverse proof and this enhanced image coin but the mirror proof will remain the standard. Should they ever change the obverse of the silver dollar I do hope they don’t choose a President to honor though.

Denis Herman March 22, 2013 at 11:50 am

I think its time the mint produced less coins and concentrated in producing coins that are proof 70 and not proof 68, 65 and, as low as proof 64,which I have had the misfortune to receive from them.

Stuart Wheeler March 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

As far as the “enhanced uncirculated” terminology is concerned, drop the proof and uncirculated adjectives and use “special mint strike” or “hybrid strike”.
I personally don’t see it as a proof or mint state coin. The 1965-67 Special Mint Sets were never referred to as proof or uncirculated coinage when issued originally. My guess for no silver eagles coming out of Denver to this point is because they don’t have the presses capable of striking the 40 mm one ounce silver blanks. Very seldom also, do you see commemorative coins with the “D” mint mark. Again, Denver is not up to speed with San Francisco, West Point or Philadelphia as far as quality goes. Case in point? The 2011-D Army Half Dollars. Denver did a poor and sloppy job in executing the strikes in my view. Apparently, the big “D” is only good for producing circulation quality coins and not much else.

jim March 22, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Special mint strike sounds OK to me but hybrid strike begs the question what is it a hybrid of, proof and uncirculated? Here we are back to using proof and uncirculated which this is supposed to be getting away from. I don’t know if the people at the mint thought very much at all about what to call it. Perhaps the graders will get together and hash out an appropriate name to use for this coin (and others to follow?) as Brian V suggested since the name means more to them than it does to the mint. Then maybe the mint will bend a little and adopt a more appropriate name as suggested by the graders (unless their suggestion is as screwed up as enhanced uncirculated is).

Kevin March 22, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Since Izzy Friedman, who is Ted Butler’s mentor, came out with an article a few years ago on the merits of the silver eagle, sales have skyrocketed. The timing of the article all over the internet and ASE sales explosion coincided perfectly.

Izzy has some far-out predictions such as one day ASE sales being halted due to lack of available silver. (But ‘who’d a thunk’ that silver would have had the 10x price appreciation already-in just over ten years?) Izzy’s predictions on the ultimate price of silver would make most people laugh. Whether he is right or wrong, only time will tell. Until then, I am switching from au to ag. Get it while you can is my view. Including sweet new releases such as this one. Nia, Dyodd.

Joe March 22, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Stuart Wheeler – their is 22 modern commemorative silver dollar coins with the *D mint mark. The last one was the American Buffalo commemorative that was a 2001-D. Can the Denver mint use that press.

Shawn March 24, 2013 at 10:39 am

This is a beautiful coin. What to call it? Uncirculated has a matte finish and proof (mirror)needs no further verbal embellishments, even though it is uncirculated as well.
So, uncirculated seems redundant and enhanced lacks clarity. It isn’t a reverse proof either. It would appear we need a new designation completely.
Enhanced implies a favorable mutation. Maybe something as simple as “superior”.

Kahoola March 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Some of the 1922 peace dollars were made in matte proof, so proofs don’t even need to be shiney. And now we have the “satin proof” finishes on the ATB 5 oz Philadelphia strikes and some of the mint sets a few years ago.
Boy am i getting confused…
No matter what it is, it is a beautiful coin, have to save up some bucks to buy one of these!

jim March 25, 2013 at 10:07 am

I think the silver eagle was the first proof to have the mirror/satin finish.

John March 25, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Because the stars standout so well, I’d call it the Spangled Silver Eagle.

Cochisz March 30, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Can anyone hazard a guess as to the price of this two coin set?

Jack April 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm

$169 is my best guess. If they are limiting them to 200K or less, my friend and I are taking 1/2 vacation days to sit at the computer to place our orders.

Melvin Yong April 12, 2013 at 9:45 am

Great news. Can’t wait for the release date. Please notify me.

Jack April 14, 2013 at 5:32 am

Looks like they will be $149.95 with a 4 week ordering period just like last year’s. May 9th at noon!

nick todd May 17, 2013 at 4:12 am

They look like all those colorized versions tacky gonna sell mine

Cal September 11, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I have an ngc ms70 with an error on the second frosty stripe from the right. Just above the fold some of the frost is missing. Anyone else have this too? It even shows in the ngc cert pic!!

jim September 11, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Ha, Ha, Ha – that’s one on NGC. And I thought NGC was supposed to be the premier grading service. But with this new enhanced finish how’s anybody supposed to tell what’s right and what’s not?
But one has to ask, why send it in for grading if you knew it was flawed and wouldn’t deserve a 70 in the first place?
Send it back and ask for a refund for incompetent grading or free regrading anyway.

Cal September 11, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I never saw the coin before grading. It has early release designation. Hoping the error plus the grade adds some value. On a side note, the retro holder makes the pop.

I compared coin to my PCGS MS70. The NGC does have a flaw.

Cal September 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm

It’s not ms70 my bad. Its SP70.

jim September 11, 2013 at 11:23 pm

SP70? I thought there was MS for mint state or uncirculated and PF for proof. Are they calling the enhanced uncirculated SP? So what does SP stand for – Special Proof?