Making American History Coin & Currency Set Includes 2012-S Proof Silver Eagle, $5 Note

by Mike Unser on July 18, 2012 · 71 comments

A 2012-S Proof American Silver Eagle from San Francisco and a Series 2009 $5 note with the San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank designation are combined in a joint U.S. Mint and Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) product called the Making American History Coin & Currency Set.

Making American History Coin & Currency Set

U.S. Mint image of the Making American History Coin & Currency Set

"To celebrate the United States Mint’s 220th year and the Bureau of Engraving and Printing’s 150th year of service to our country, this Making American History Coin and Currency Set features a coin and a note made in America," the U.S. Mint states.

The Coin & Currency Set was released by the U.S. Mint on August 7, 2012 at a price point of $72.95.

To commemorate the Bureau of Engraving and Printing’s 150th anniversary, marked on August 29, 2012, each Series 2009 $5 note has a unique serial number that begins with "150." Each also bears the signature of Rosie Rios, the 43rd and current Treasurer of the United States.

The Making American History Coin & Currency Set has a mintage, or what the U.S. Mint calls an established production limit, of 100,000. Its initial production amount is 50,000 sets, with the other 50,000 in the works if demand calls for them.

To curtail customer complaints about accessibility, collectors will remember that the recently issued 2012-S American Silver Eagle Two-Coin Proof Set was available during a four-week window only, with its mintage based on demand during that time. The U.S. Mint did not offer this option for the newer set, perhaps due to the joint nature of the release and the product’s inclusion of the Series 2009 $5 note.

The 2012-S American Silver Eagle Two-Coin Proof Set contained a 2012-S Proof Silver Eagle, which is the same one within the upcoming Making American History Coin & Currency Set. That makes the 2012-S Reverse Proof Silver Eagle a key issue in the American Eagle program, as it will not be offered elsewhere. The last reported sales of the older two-coin proof set was 251,302. Secondary market values of the 2012-S Proof Silver Eagle would expect to take a hit with more of them available.

Additional information on the Making American History Coin & Currency Set is available via the U.S. product page located here.

Mike July 28, 2012 at 1:05 am

Jim
Yeah I’m contemplating whether to send to PCGS.

Ed A July 28, 2012 at 11:05 am

Will all this controversy about this coin set add any value in the future? Traditionally, coins with “more history” turn to become more valuable in the long run…I appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this. I am still holding on to my 2 coin set, for now.

jim July 28, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Haven’t heard the “more history” theory before for any coin. That may apply to sentimental value but this coin set will be known for it’s ignominy, not fame. It won’t be worth more because of dilution of the rarity of the proof coin. But, keep the set – it still has the first S reverse proof which you’ll never find anywhere else.

Homer August 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Kind of hoping lots of people cancel their 2 coin San Francisco ASE sets, but I am keeping mine. I really think this is a good way for everyone else to protest. I don’t think anyone else should buy the currency and Eagle set either which will keep the mintage of that one low as well. However, I think I will buy some of those since I am not protesting.

jim August 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Cancelling the S mint SAE set is foolish in my opinion but not buying the coin and currency set I feel is a good way to protest. The only thing unique in the set is a crisp 2009 $5 bill with a serial number starting with 150. You can take that to the bank and get 5 $1 bills or 20 ATB Quarters but nobody is going to give you any more for that special serial number than any other serial number. I have a $5 bill with a 99999988 serial number – does that make it worth more than $5?

Joe August 2, 2012 at 12:49 am

jim, Where did you get the 6 nines & 2 eights $5 bill. Thanks Joe,

jim August 2, 2012 at 2:37 am

Joe –
Actually I bought a sheet of 32 $5’s from the BEP several years ago when I was still working. There’s a method to the madness in the way the bills are numbered (not sequentially) but this particular sheet has 99[2-9]99988 amongst others with not so many 9’s. It looks like all the $1, $2, and $5 sheets start with 99 and the luck of the draw can give you more. I also have a $1 bill with five 9’s. I only bought a few sheets before it finally got through my thick skull that they had no real collector value and were novelty items at best. Make very expensive wrapping paper but good for new grad presents or teen birthday presents.

Joe August 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

jim, Thats pretty cool. I would have to say that you will get more than you paid for them someday. There is a market for paper money.

jim August 2, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I’m not holding my breath.

Mike August 2, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I received my sets today and I decided to open and check, every coin has some sort of mark on the coins, I’m disappointed, I have had this happen before. I am probably not going to go through the hassle sending back to the mint.

Joe August 2, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Mike, You cant go wrong. Still good sets to have. But it is a bummer.

jim August 3, 2012 at 1:59 am

Marks on the coins? What kind? Sure they aren’t on the plastic? I look at mine with a little magnifying glass but I don’t remember ever getting a proof SAE that had a mark on it.

Mike August 3, 2012 at 8:05 am

Jim
Every coin I see without magnification either a ding, RP, the frosted area has visible mark(s). I have a ton of proof gold and silver that I have been collecting over the years and I know marks when I see them, not on the plastic coin holders. Truly a disappointment in the quality control. I’m going to relook at them again today with magnification and decide if I want to hassle with returning all of them to the mint.

Homer August 3, 2012 at 5:15 pm

There is a letter after the serial number which represents how many times a serial number has been used up to 26 times. So, theoretically they could have around 2.6 million bills with a serial number beginning with 150. (26×100,000) Whether they limit it to 50,000 like another article said is up to the mint. Although there isn’t a limit to the number a person can order which should say something about how many sets they plan on creating.

Joe August 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm

100,000 sets no odering limit.

Victor August 7, 2012 at 11:50 am

I just ordered 6 sets.
Order Date:08/07/2012 at 12:03 AM
These I will keep, unopened, because of the Proof 2012-S ASR is the same as the Proof 2012-S ASE in the 75th anniversary set. I also ordered 6 sets of those. I remarked in an earlier post how not opening them would retain “SET STATUS” in case another issue of the same coin was minted in 2012. Well, I can foresee the future. I did order another Coin and Currency, but just one, to open and enjoy. So, now I have, 5 25th anniversary 5 coin sets, unopened and the two sets coming in.That’s a lot of unopened boxes. I sure hope, no one at the mint, substitutes a brick, in the boxes. šŸ˜‰

Paul August 7, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I received a response from the US Mint regarding my displeasure with their handling of the 2012 AE S mint proof set & the coin & currency set.

My e-mail:
Why doesn t the Mint see fit to return e-mails directed to it? Are they too busy trying to come up with new ways to attempt ripping off the collecting public? I wrote several weeks ago regarding the production of the Mint & BEP set. You are attempting to cheapen my purchase of the two-coin AE proof set. this set was supposed to be unique, now the mint is producing the proof AE AGAIN? I expect a response.

Their response (about 3 days later; never responded to my first e-mail):

Dear Paul,
Thank you for your e-mail. The response to our e-mail box has been unprecedented, resulting in our delayed response to your previous inquiry. We apologize for any lack of communication on our part that may have led to the assumption that the American Eagle Silver Proof Coin with the ā€œSā€ mint mark would be only offered in the 2012 American Eagle San Francisco Two-Coin Silver Proof Set. The United States Mint strives to offer a variety of products in various packaging and price points to help broaden access to our coins. In doing so, we routinely package our coins in various ways to make them as appealing as possible to different customer segments and at different price points. Please note that the American Eagle San Francisco Two-Coin Silver Proof Set also contains a 2012 reverse proof, which is not available in the coin and currency set nor is it planned for any other 2012 product option. Again, please accept our apologies if the lack of more specific communications related to these two sets caused confusion.

Sincerely,United States Mint

So, in a nutshell, when they do this, they can say it’s due to ‘lack of communication’! I will NOT be ordering any coin & currency sets, I don’ want to contribute to making my 2-coin proof/ rev. proof less valuable. They can eat them!

jim August 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I wrote to my 2 Senators and to Secretary Geithner – maybe all the flack they got from this fiasco got them to tell Peterson to own up to his screw-up, finally open the email in box and respond to some of their incoming emails. Though I notice Peterson is still hiding behind the US Mint and not signing his name to your email response.

Victor August 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Paul, the mint never had any intention of telling anyone of the duplication of the 2012-S proof ASE, until they were sure the two coin set was sold out and returns were not possible. I had a feeling, and I was correct, another 2012-S was minted, and I have no doubt these coins were minted, right along with the two coin sets and held in abeyance till the announcement was made. I would, if I were you, get one coin and currency, just to have it. Because of the ASE you will need it to have the complete set. I know it sucks, but remember the 1995-W ASE, only in the 1995-W 10th anniversary set. Who wanted to spend around a thousand dollars to get an ASE? Only 3500 people, that’s who. Now, just an ungraded one is almost $4,000. Get one, Paul. šŸ˜‰

Chris August 7, 2012 at 10:13 pm

@Paul This does not appear to be a lack of communication on their part or an assumption on yours. This Mint method of marketing has been done before and they responded the same way then. And yet it still occurs. I don’t see this as a miscommunication, I would call it a pattern.

Joe August 9, 2012 at 1:58 am

Paul they did the same thing in 2006 with the 2006 W burnished uncirculated. The MINT put one in the 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set. When that set sold out. They sold the 2006 W burnished separately with out saying anything until two weeks later. So it’s not the first time. But I would buy a coin & currency set before they sell out. I know where you are coming from. But, what do you got to lose.