Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set Values Jump After Sell Out

by Darrin Lee Unser on October 31, 2011 · 16 comments

Launching Thursday, October 27, into an environment of extraordinary demand, the American

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set

American Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set

Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set sold out within five hours. And while none of the sets have been delivered by the United States Mint yet, many are already appearing on the secondary market at incredibly high premiums.

Before those premiums are discussed, perhaps a little background is in order… The set was issued by the United States Mint to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the American Silver Eagle Program which dates back to when the first bullion and proof versions were released in 1986.

Found within the anniversary set are a total of five Silver Eagles, including a 2011 Bullion American Silver Eagle, a 2011-W Proof American Silver Eagle and a 2011-W Uncirculated American Silver Eagle — all three of which are also available separately from the Mint. Included as well are two coins unique to the set — a 2011-S Uncirculated American Silver Eagle and a 2011-P Reverse Proof American Silver Eagle.

Many collectors have been interested in the set since it was first announced in August, owing to its anniversary appeal, limited 100,000 mintage and those two unique coins. Knowing of that interest and long before they were officially released, sets went on pre-sale in the secondary market weeks ago.

Secondary Market Values for Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set

eBay had well over two hundred sets listed in the days leading up to their October 27 release. Of those, collectors were willing to pay significant premiums. The "best deal," or lowest price paid, was at $400. That represents a premium of more than $100 over the Mint’s selling price of $299.95. One auction actually realized $999.95. Most of the auctions had single set closing prices in the $450-$550 range.

Jump ahead to after October 27 and Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set values surged. Several of the single sets quickly realized prices topping $800. The average price came in around $600 per set, or just over twice the Mint’s price.

Multiple sets are also up for auction on eBay. Auctions offering five complete sets are common with some of those selling for $2,295. This equates to $459 per set, a relative "bargain" compared to buying the sets individually.

Whether or not these premiums can hold once the initial buzz over the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Sets dies down is anyone’s guess. However, given their limited mintage and up-front interest, it is likely their values will remain well above the Mint’s initial selling price. History is some guide. The three-coin, 2006-dated 20th Anniversary sets have been consistently selling for at least three times their initial $100 Mint price. In fact, prices have jumped even higher as the buzz surrounding the 25th anniversary sets began booming.

Derek November 1, 2011 at 1:05 am

The premium over the selling price represents lost money for the U.S. Mint. They should have sold them on eBay to begin with, completely eliminating the shortage and scalpers and web site problems all in one fell swoop.

synoptic12 November 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm

The United States Mint:
This synopsis entails the qualities of the United States Mint, really not addressing the aforesaid article. We personally feel that the U.S. Mint has not received any positive response, in light of the outstanding admininistration, which comprises the U.S. Mint. The U.S. Mint is the sole foundation of producing coins, of varying and unique designs, for the purpose to please the collectors, and quite naturally, to bring in revenue. To demean, or berate the character of the U.S. Mint, when they are continually trying, and moving forward, to enhance the field of numismatics for all, is an undeserving misnomer, on the part of many. Many fail to recognize the fine qualities that the U.S. Mint has incorporated into their customer service personnel. We have always seen the professionalism, courtesy, and helpfulness attached to the customer service department. We have never seen any variation to negate these fine qualities, which are surely present, still. Remember, can aynone really think that they can dictate, or have say over the U.S. Mint. This would be the wrong approach, especially in a field, where many professionals appear. If people feel so strongly about the stipulations, or policy of the U.S. Mint, they should simply walk away. Yet, these people continue to purchase, complaining constantly, over trivial issues. In all reality, the U.S. Mint has certainly moved into the future, by the many offerings they have provided to all. In addition to this, they have encompassed most of the wishes of the consumer, at different intervals of time. Many factors are associated in producing coins, and maybe more so, a “limited” edition. To please the masses, is a very difficult task, and more so to organize all aspects of production, as to place them into inventory. To deny, or nullify this aspect, is to challenge the authority of the U.S. Mint. This is purely wrong, no matter how one perceieves, or views the U.S. Mint. Again, the U.S. Mint, “not the people”, Reserves the Right to do as they please, within the boundaries of their stated policy, which is crystal clear. Which part, does not anyone understand? We’ve been ordering from the U.S. Mint for a small amount of time, and there were times, not many, if any, where we were not able to purchase certain products, due to a sell out. We saw no need to go on the war path, nor to diminish the stature of the U.S. Mint. For what, for coins you could not obtain. In light of this, we wish to thank the U.S Mint for their continued effort. For without the U.S. Mint, whom would you blame then?

Poggie November 2, 2011 at 5:02 am

synoptic12…Mighty fancy writing for most folk. The fact is that the Mint has done some bone head moves. Too many offerings, mostly junk. The Presidential Dollars are a perfect example. They shove them down our throats in all the sets and no one uses them. They snap up a 40% charge; $35.00 for $25.00, plus shipping. There is lacking in quality control. I have five proof sets where the nickle press had oil or some foreign matter on it when striking. Each nickel has a varying degree of this ‘blob’ appearing. They appear in sequence. I didn’t send them back…kept them. Seems your from the LIBERAL bend where you think ‘everyone’ should praised, deserving or not. Critical input should serve to improve the U.S. Mint services for everyone. SO…quit your grumbling about ‘grumbling’, it serves an important purpose.

figurehead November 2, 2011 at 6:21 am

Poggie : Congress decides what,where,how and when the U.S Mint will offer numismatic products. If you got a bad nickle and didn’t send it back oh well. Your complaints should be directed at the U.S. Congress and the President. 41/2 hour sellout is very impressive. I do agree with the Presidental dollar, but Congress approved it and the Mint must comply.

Josh November 2, 2011 at 8:41 am

The mint just shouldn’t send out shitty sets. He shouldn’t have to send them back, they should have just been as good as everyone elses. When I make an order from a well trusted, federally funded company, I expect quality to be to my satisfaction. People shouldn’t have to send their sets back because time is money. People buy online because it’s quick and easy, If I knew I would have to send factory damaged goods back, I wouldn’t even buy to begin with.
———
About ASE sets:

They really should have put a 1 coin per household limit on this. I am a die-hard collector and I went to buy my sets the next day it came out, but they were sold out!! Now I’m looking at sets on ebay for $500! It’s not fair at all to me. People, or even companies with multiple addresses bought multiple orders of 5 sets just to sell them tomorrow. I missed out on the ’06 reverse proof already and I would have loved to have this set to look at all the time.

Joe November 2, 2011 at 11:13 am

Why would any one be surprised this happend the mint let us know back in august there would be only 100,000 sets and they would go quick. But the mint should have put 1 or 2 sets per house hold. I was going to buy 1 set but I bought the 5 did not mean to but I did. You could say I got 1 set free and some cash left over.

Lando November 2, 2011 at 11:23 am

Josh – a 1-coin-per-household rule for a 5-coin set?

figurehead November 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Josh : If your a “die-hard collector” how did you miss the ’06 set ? They didn’t sellout for weeks . Come on now………. you just wanna flip, so you can buy more YU GI OH cards!!….. die-hard ..LOL !!

charlie November 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm

acording to the bullion dealer i called the mint set aside 50000 sets to dealers first. the rest went to the public. so the 5 per house hold was really 50000 not 100000. should the mint be at fault. t don’t think so. it’s the bullion dealers that support the mint and make it profitable. the hipe will be over soon and the sets will settle down.

stantheman November 3, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Well now the sets are not allowed on ebay until the sets are in hand. Could push the value higher since you will not be able to purchases them second handed for another few weeks not good if you are trying to buy a set on the low :/

Jim Young November 4, 2011 at 6:17 pm

There are so many violations of policy on EBay it is criminal! With a 100 % rating as a seller, 1 buyer claimed a 14K gold necklace I sold claimed it was 10K – My reponse to EBay and PayPal was to provide proof it was not 14K. I provided my proof it was but was ruled against – After working so hard to keep my 100% seller rating and my pledge and proof it was authentic I am now suspended from buying or selling. Why was the buyer not required to submit proof my proof was not good enough? EBay is a scam and many scammers are never pursued…

Jeff G November 11, 2011 at 8:18 am

I think the one of the biggest problems was that you had every freaking coin dealer telling anyone that would listen that if they bought the limit of 5 sets, they would buy them back from them at a $50.00 premium over cost.
I was at a coin show here in Mpls the week before these went on sale…,and one of the less scrupulous dealers there was setting up “contracts” with people for this deal….offering $1750.00 ($50.00 over cost each) for anyone who would sign and agree to buy the five sets…and bring them to him in an UNOPENED box from the mint!

I personally think there should be a rule against this….(I dont know how you could enforce said rule…but because of shitheads like this guy out there…the average guy who just wanted one or two sets for himself of his family…got screwed. And what pisses me off the most…this guy doesn’t care about the collecting community….he just wants his freakin profit…I asked him what he was going to do with all the ones he got….he said he already had a deal lined up with a big-time bullion dealer that would take them from him for $400.00 a set…..freakin unbelievable. That tells me that if bullion dealers are willing to pay $400.00 a set for large amounts…the price on these babies aint gonna go down anytime soon….

So…with jerkoffs out there like this guy, I guess I am one of the lucky ones and managed to get my order in (even though the site kept freezing, timing out, locking up…and kicking me out….I stuck with it and kept re-trying to get the order in for about 90 minutes straight…and finally did it somehow!!!! (perserverance has it’s benefits I tell you)

And if you were lucky enough to buy one or more of these for $300.00 – do yourself a favor and put them away for years….do not sell for a “quick profit”

I have a feeling that in 10 years, these sets will be hard to come by…and will be one of the more sought-after sets the mint has made in a long time. 100,000 sets of silver eagles (the S mint mark and the Reverse proof are the key coins here)…is NOTHING….think of how many people collect silver eagles…and then think 100,000 coins….that is nothing….and my assumption here is obviously correct…or they would not have sold-out in less than 5 hours.

Happy hunting…and congrats to anyone who managed to get their grubby paws on a set or two already!! hahaha

Peter Piper November 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

Is there a time limit to send in an unopened box to be graded by one of the grading companies! I have 5 sets still boxed and unopened, but cannot make up my mind to have them graded or not!

henry_tx November 13, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I Lucky enough to get my 5 set ! my order statued It instock and reserved. Sorry guy i’m not try to make any profit here, because I had 5 kids that the reason I had to buy 5 set. once for each that fair for them all. And if I need one for my self I had to pay a pricey premium now..I just like most of you’re out there on the phone and internet for 4 hours straight until my order went through…I’m Lucky enough that was my off day. WHAT A DAY… There is a dealer want me to buy and sale them $400/set, but i’m not letting it go for any prices it’s not for me…Just like most of the collectors out there pass its down to the next generation.

Joe November 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

Peter Piper you have until 12-8-11 to get early release by NGC. That is what they said when I called.

Brian November 14, 2011 at 8:02 pm

have seen the Reverse Proof by it’s self sell for over $400 on eBay. And one guy even paid $3999.99 for 5 sets. Both of these sales were made in the last 30 days, according to eBay, completed auctions, serch results. I have also see the “S” coin go for close to $390 by it’s self. And the other 3 coins go for close to $300 by themselves with the case and COA. If you do the math, that’s over $1000 per five coin set, if you break them up. I would be thrilled to sell my 1 extra set for $1000. If you’re willing to pay the price, send email to bkjackson68@cox.net, but so it soon. It won’t last long!!