Perth Mint Gold and Silver Bullion Sales Steady in May

Australian bullion sales maintained a firm pace in May for both gold and silver products, according to figures from The Perth Mint of Australia.

A CoinNews photo of a 2021 Australian Kangaroo 1oz Silver Bullion Coin (obverse or heads side)

Sales of minted bullion coins and bars slowed some from the prior month but ballooned from a year earlier.

"A sharp rally in both gold and silver prices driven by weakness in the US dollar, a decline in bond yields and a sharp fall in cryptocurrencies, encouraged investors back into precious metal markets during May 2021," said Jordan Eliseo, Perth Mint Manager, Listed Products and Investment Research.

LBMA prices in May soared 7.5% for gold and surged 6.8% for silver.

Bullion Sales in May 2021

Perth Mint sales of silver coins and silver bars tallied to 1,700,807 ounces last month, slipping 5.4% from April but soaring 70.6% from May 2020.

"May was another extremely successful month for silver bullion coins — our capacity to produce again being challenged by the level of demand from key markets such as Germany and the United States," noted Neil Vance, Perth Mint General Manager Minted Products.

Year-to-date silver sales of 8,092,608 ounces are 17.1% higher than the 6,912,643 ounces sold in the same period last year.

May sales of the Mint’s gold coins and gold bars reached 91,146 ounces, falling 10.1% from April while jumping 43.8% from May 2020.

For the year to date, gold sales of 522,732 ounces are 49.8% higher than the 348,892 ounces sold during the first five months of last year.

Perth Mint Gold and Silver Sales by Month

Below is a monthly summary of Perth Mint bullion sales from May 2020 to May 2021. The figures show monthly ounces of gold and silver shipped as minted products by The Perth Mint to wholesale and retail customers worldwide. It excludes sales of cast bars and other Group activities including sales of allocated/unallocated precious metal for storage by the Depository.

Perth Mint Bullion Sales (in troy ounces)
  Silver Gold
May 2021 1,700,807 91,146
April 2021 1,798,210 101,379
March 2021* 1,600,000 130,000
February 2021 1,830,707 124,104
January 2021 1,162,884 76,103
December 2020 941,767 76,806
November 2020 1,119,296 84,158
October 2020 1,228,713 38,367
September 2020 1,677,383 62,637
August 2020 1,431,036 67,462
July 2020 1,567,900 56,104
June 2020 1,573,752 44,371
May 2020 997,171 63,393

*Perth Mint published approximated sales data for March. Specifically, the Mint stated that during March it shipped "more than 130,000 troy ounces of gold and almost 1.6 million troy ounces of silver."

Notify of
guest
59 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Kaiser Wilhelm

There’s no lack of silver at the Perth Mint. Do they know something our Mint isn’t privy to?

. Kaiser –

Yes! The Perth Mint Australia since 1899, as one of the largest bullion coin & ingot/bar sellers in the world knows how to operate an efficient Mint professionally. Just a trivia fact: the two official government Mint’s in Australia must, by law, reserve 10% of the mintage of all coins for sale only to residents of Australia. I have ordered from the Perth Mint since 2012 & their quality & customer service is fantastic!

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

Thanks, Seth, for that very informative and helpful explanation. This definitely exceeded my hopes, since my question was posed rather rhetorically as I wasn’t expecting anyone to have an answer. If only some of that Perth magic could rub off on the gnomes running (loosely speaking) the U.S. Mint; wouldn’t that be great!

Mark D.

The US Mint is indeed terrible and its management should be sentenced to use, carry and pay all their debts using nothing but coinage which they must transport on their person.

However, that’s no reason to insult innocent gnomes, pixies or even trolls (and I should know as I live under a bridge). Leprechauns, by contrast, are fair game.

How out of character for you, oh great exalted one!

51mv25xxIOL._AC_.jpg
Last edited 1 month ago by Mark D.
Kaiser Wilhelm

Tovarisch Markovitch, I concur with your master plan for the Mint’s mental midgets, including the proviso that the use of wheelbarrows will not be countenanced; we will maintain a strict hand carry only policy!

In addition to His entirely Austrian and German forebearers the Kaiser does happen to have one errant Irish grandmother, which of course automatically exempts said leprechauns also. Therefore, henceforth and forsooth the Minters will be known as goblins, most especially so since no one ever says anything good about those creepy critters anyway.

tumblr_pr6x3cG6171u1eq3q_540.png

Then goblins it is!

I do, however, suspect that if one was to trace the roots of your Irish kin, the tap root would ultimately reach back to Germanic soil, given these ancient peoples’ reputation for, um, let’s call it, “wunderlust.”

Seth Riesling

Not to mention the “Windsor” royal family of Great Britain by way of Germany…some good DNA/longevity in that ancestry line…

NumisdudeTX

Mark D.

Windsor? Do you mean the town just south of where I live? I believe the titular head of state for Great Britain was born with Saxe-Coburg-Gotha as her surname. And the British motto is in French. Funny that.

Seth Riesling

Windsor, Ontario, Canada? I used to live down the highway a bit in Ohio for 3 years. Windsor was a nice day trip for
random shopping for me – coin shopping too!
Hi, I’m Seth & I’m a shopaholic”.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

Just wondering, Seth, are the 12 Steps in Shopaholics Anonymous the ones you are advised to take in any direction away from the store?

Seth Riesling

More like a restraining order to stay 12 steps from a coin shop…LOL.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

I bet you manage to stay 12 steps ahead of the law when you violate it.

Seth Riesling

I have been know to hide out in random gift shops! Dear Lord, I do love a good gift shop, & have been known to purchase a few too many tchotchkies for my own good.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

Tchotchkies were our weakness until my wife and I agreed to put our souvenir and memorabilia collecting habits to bed once and for all. To date we’ve stuck to that resolution, knock on my wooden head.
When your bookcase assumes this appearance, it’s time to get help…

Tchotchkes_and_memorabilia_at_Shopsin
Kaiser Wilhelm

I see that in Deutschland they provide information for the addicted…

OIP.jpg
Mark D.

Yes, Windsor is in Ontario. But shhh, it’s a secret.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Can’t be too much of a secret, Mark. Heck, even li’l old me knows that.

Mark D.

Formality aside, it’s a knotty subject and difficult to tie up in a thread such as this. Perhaps I should just loosen my collar a bit and maybe even bow to peer pressure. At this point, I have no silken strands to weave into something colorful, let alone pointed. I guess my old school fails me on occasions such as this. I go from four-in-hand to half, to full again — and then freeze up, to absolute zero, Kelvin, that it is. And be sure, that remark is oriented to the best of our species’ stripes, and not some kind… Read more »

Kaiser Wilhelm

Balthus, old friend…words fail me.

302ev6.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Seth and Mark, Kameraden both, much does lead back to Germany, the major irony being that “Germany” as such is a relatively young nation because prior to the official melding of the various and assorted principalities, dukedoms, and bishoprics there was no such country. The Austrian Empire, on the other hand, reaches far back in time courtesy of the Hapsburg dynasty, so as far as I’m concerned, Herr und Frau Deutschland, please remember who the elders in the room are.

Seth Riesling

I hear Frau Deutschland was born in 1871…a unifying event her birth was. I used to collect the coins & coinage patterns of Germany from 1871.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

I’m thinking it’s likely “Herr Deutschland”, Kamerad Seth, as Germany is known as The Fatherland, while the Big Bear to the east would be “Mother Russia” since her given name is The Motherland. Just sayin’.

1zhs51.jpg
Mark D.

To me, Germany is the modern name for the post-Neanderthal people and culture that developed and advanced remarkably in that region, going on to sack Rome centuries before the Vandals came over the last hill…

I imagine there were a lot of poop-stained togas on either occasion.

200px-Otto_Albert_Koch_Varusschlacht_1909.jpg
Mark D.

The horns were especially frightening.

rom028_4_.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Mark and Seth, I have no idea which if any of these towns and/or cities in Deutschland my paternal familial predecessors came from, but I am aware of at least seven that would seem to fit the bill: Rietheim-Weilheim in Baden-Wuerttenberg; Weil am Rhein – BW; Weilburg – Hesse; Weil der Stadt – BW; Weilheim an der Teck – BW; Weilhelm (im Schwartzwald) – BW; Weilheim in Oberbayern – Bayern. Each one of course has a town/city coat of arms, but I didn’t see the above very scary horn blower on any of them, which is probably a good thing.… Read more »

800px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Weil_der_Stadt.svg.png
Kaiser Wilhelm

And just for the fun of it, here’s a modern copy of the Roman original.

Romeinse_vlag.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

It seems that more than a few things are reminiscent of the old Crocodile Dundee trope, in this case “That’s not a horn. This is a horn!”

R167b40426ff9c5dee77cbfe79c3698a0.jpg
Mark D.

Those horns blow. Now THIS is a horn, plenty superior to the empty (save for the hot air) vessels shown.
Sampo that Comrade!

61wPpiIEBzL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

An experienced Kaiser knows when it’s time to retire from the fray.

DE8le44W0AUrg5y.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

It just occurred to me that one particular city in New Jersey must have been savaged and plundered by either a Germanic tribe or a band of Vandals; how else could it have come to be saddled with a name like Hack en Sack?

InkedInkedscreen-shot-2018-01-10-at-125055-pmjpg-a83cd18e5d7e4e21_LI.jpg
Mark D.

Huh. I always figured it’s namesake was that catch-the-tiny-beanbag-with-the-side-of-one’s-foot-(knee-ankle-forehead-etc.)-then-pass-it-to-someone-else-and-repeat-until-the-tiny-beanbag-falls-to-the-ground game.

hacky (1).jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

The two are not mutually exclusive, with the only difference being that back in the day the Germanic warriors kicked heads around instead.

tumblr_o3mw32JGH71qcxemno1_500.jpg
Mark D.

Ah! So that’s why it’s called, “heading.” Go-o-o-o-a-a-a-l-l-l!

8f9977891d0f0c72d0c5d1108cd78f1d.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

The “be” part of that was dropped to shorten it for the games scribes.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Here’s a little something to think about in that very regard. If his desire for Ms. Wallis Simpson’s permanent companionship hadn’t succeeded in depriving good old Hitler-admiring King Edward VIII of his claim to the British throne, the cheers in England to this day might well have been “Heil to the Queen!”

_88667427_a0007cf0-a392-4d0f-b265-b8c103ef8f01.jpg

Punniest-ever quote:
Wallis to Eddy: “You can’t abdicate and eat it too.”

dc81b487eda406b938d871b6eae6ac0b.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

I do so love that punny saying. That being said, let us all turn to the sure wisdom of the timeless “Maybe yes, maybe no” school of thought. In this case we refer ourselves to Exhibit A, in which Hitler promises to put the post-abdication Eddie van Hesse right back on the British throne just as soon as England surrenders and submits to Nazi rule.

dang-memecrunch-com-joe-dirt-51852374.jpg
Mark D.

Ja’macia’nme crazy Comrade. I guess there’s no other choice but to sit back and enjoy my regal exile. That’s my last territorial demand.

351cce24-520f-4735-bad2-7a11e63e56a7_1.7abc90df58384d6ab6bbebb5887ef188.jpeg
Mark D.

Ker-ap. It was the Bahamas.

73133e44999619e2ff07daa3b7eaf44f.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

This circuitous litany of Eddie the Deposed’s travels is beginning to resemble a certain Beach Boy’s ballad, nicht wahr, mein Kamerad?

9781574780468.jpg

Mark –

Vernor’s ginger ale??!!
I prefer a vintage 1962 Mountain Dew brewed in Arkansas!! (Boy, do I miss the glass bottles with the hillbilly, moonshine jug & pig as the brand artwork). Lol

NumisdudeTX

Mark D.

Hail and felicitations Seth.

I believe a local brand, “Faygo,” originated the weird, greenish “sippin'” soda and called it, … wait for it… “Moonshine!”

The label art showed a hill, um, an Appalachian person carrying a jug and running from another Appalachian person who was shooting at the terrified runner with a musket.

Apparently the runner escaped (or, recuperated), as you can see from this image.

Can’t seem to find the original gun-play art. I wonder why. Perhaps a case of, “search engine de-optimization?”

Faygo-Non-Alcoholic-Moonshine-Detroit-Michigan-Vintage-Label.jpg
Seth Riesling

Mark – I remember when Mt. Dew soda was not available for sale in all 50 U.S. states, & now it is the Pepsi company’s best-selling soft drink (it has the most caffeine of any regular soda soft drink sold here now). “Jolt” brand soda used to have the most caffeine by far & advertised as such, but I haven’t seen it in many years, probably due to heart palpitations lawsuits! I’m waiting for an 80 Proof alcohol version of the Dew for making Summer spritzers, complete with the little umbrellas & citrus garnish! Would sell like iced-water in Hell.… Read more »

Mark D.

Moonshine, of a sort, can be had legally and is a burgeoning business. Mix with Mt. Dew, drop in a Menthos or two and see what happens! I recommend a bucket in lieu of the umbrella.

Mark –

Sounds like a good in-home experiment for the gullible! (“Explosives for Idiots” – the book). Lol.

NumisdudeTX

Seth Riesling

My grandfather actually got me a Mountain Dew soda air rifle from a promotion in the early 1970s that had the logo on it & I used it in kid’s play & passed it on to my younger brother who destroyed it with overuse. It would be worth more than a nice gold coin nowadays even in used condition.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

Seth and Mark, you two Murcans may as well be speaking in tongues now where this furriner is concerned. But carry on; I’ll catch up later.

Inkedalways-has-been-meme-ohio_LI.jpg
Mark D.

I’ve oft heard that, “buckeye” is polite slang for a donkey’s anus. Hee-haw.

Kaiser Wilhelm

Wait…wasn’t the donkey god Anus the greatest of the Egyptian deities?

Oh, that was Anubis. My bad.

Mark D.

Oh my! Auto-correct epic fail.

What I intended to write was, “…the one-eyed Polyphemus, Cyclops, is in Homer’s Odyssey, while it’s the Aeneid by Virgil (known for his donkey-like, braying laughter) that features Aeneas, the harrowing sack of Troy and, ultimately, the founding of Rome.”

I simply can’t imagine how this benign missive could be so horribly mangled.

220px-Aeneas_and_Turnus.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

I can’t for the life of me explain, fellow Legate, how that could possibly have happened. What I do know is that this quite thorough and somewhat exotic explanation you so graciously offered doesn’t appear to have all that much kinship with any typical standard of verifiability. In the words of Edith Ann, “And that’s the truth!”

n8l3vs3tlua51.png
Mark D.

And to the Republic for which Plato scribbled so vigorously.

Bust_of_Plato,_Vatican_Museum,_Rome.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

You say tomayto, I say tomahto, you say Plato, I say…

Thinking.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Wait…it just occurred to me…has it always been smoke and mirrors?

R.jpg
Last edited 29 days ago by Kaiser Wilhelm
Seth Riesling

And he was a real ass too! Lol.

NumisdudeTX

Seth Riesling

Never try to get near a donkey’s anus – I learned the hard way on a “Hee-Haw” Appalachian farm! Lol.

NumisdudeTX

Kaiser Wilhelm

No matter how hard I try to come up with any sort of reasonable explanation for wanting to get anywhere near a donkey’s fecal apparatus, I still draw a complete blank. Go figure.

Rabb9b156e417a2ebdf3c9d577fc8793c.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

Weren’t you warned you could shoot your eye out with that, Ralphie?

ec3426da5e2a90bb8c828f163a074628.jpg
Kaiser Wilhelm

And to think, Mark and Seth, that I was perfectly happy to content myself with sitting in the back benches of the Patch Barracks (7th Army, Stuttgart) bowling alley drinking plain old Welch’s grape soda while taking in all the heart-pounding action.

th.jpg