2018 30th Anniversary Silver Maple Leaf Bullion Coins Available

by CoinNews.net on February 16, 2018 · 6 comments

The Royal Canadian Mint is celebrating the 30th anniversary of its iconic Silver Maple Leaf with two special versions of the bullion coin.

2018 30th Anniversary SML bullion coin

This 30th anniversary edition SML bullion coin features an intricate engraving of the maple leaf intertwined with the number “30.”

One edition features an intricate engraving of the maple leaf intertwined with the number "30." The other incorporates enhancements to both coin sides with a double-incuse engraving of the maple leaf and of Queen Elizabeth II’s effigy. The treatment is a Royal Canadian Mint first.

"We are proud of the market leadership the Silver Maple Leaf has achieved over the last 30 years and are excited to launch two anniversary products which embody the same qualities that have made it one of the world’s favourite silver bullion coins," said Chris Carkner, Vice-President of Sales at the Royal Canadian Mint.

Both anniversary coins have an array of precisely machined radial lines and a micro-engraved security mark in the shape of a maple leaf with the number "18" to denote their year of issue.

2018 Double-Incuse SML bullion coin

This 30th anniversary edition SML bullion coin features with a double-incuse engraving of the maple leaf and of Queen Elizabeth II’s effigy.

They are offered in low mintages with options of singles and 500-coin monster boxes. Bullion and coin dealers are now selling each edition for about $3.75 to $4.50 over spot.

Major specifications for the Silver Maple Leaf bullion coin include:

• Face value: 5 dollars
  • Composition: 99.99% pure silver
  • Weight (g): 31.11
  • Diameter: 38 mm
  • Thickness: 3.29 mm
  • Edge: serrated

The Royal Canadian Mint is the Crown corporation responsible for the minting and distribution of Canada’s circulation coins

Mouse February 16, 2018 at 7:01 am

I ordered a few of these bad boys last night / love my Maples. The new Mint Shield advancement should instill more international confidence with the products made from 2018 and on from my RCM. I have seen pictures of milk spots on past product but as a Canadian and long term purchaser of RCM bullion – it has never happened to my coins. I don’t doubt that it has, but those days are now over.

Old Collector February 19, 2018 at 10:17 am

I read up on this subject somewhat extensively yesterday, and it from everything I saw it appears that the RCM has managed to eliminate this rather pesky problem once and for all. Henceforth, as there will be no more milk spots on Canadian bullion, you can continue buying and with renewed confidence to boot.

Mouse February 19, 2018 at 11:47 am

Old Collector – One thing I appreciate about my RCM is their constant innovation and connection to the international market ie; four year research / testing / new Mint Shield technology. The most impressive component to this new technology is that my mint is not passing the cost onto the consumer for any of the minted bullion.

As I have never had any milk spots on my Canadian bullion nor would I care less if I did, this should instill more confidence in the international market.

To me, my Maples and Eagles are nothing more than work horses for my bullion stacking investments. Scratches / dings / dents / milk spots – mean nothing to me. Bills for Bullion / ride the spot. I don’t invest in pretty, I invest in buy low, sell high. If I love the design, or the bullion mintage is unique – new precious metals content – first issue of low mintage bullion – I will purchase one MS 70 for my collection. The rest are for investment – shiny – pretty bullion coins mean nothing to me, as they mean nothing to a dealer on purchase.

One new modern bullion series I am proud to own and have slabbed are the 2017 Perth mint Swan series in four 9’s gold and silver. Extremely low mintage and a first. Will serve my boy well when I am gone. The new Kook Perth coin is also a bullion coin I have purchased MS 70 slabbed – as it is the first in four 9’s silver for the series – time will tell on that one, but the Swans are investment grade. I highly recommend that if you do not have the silver – gold graded pair, hunt them down, cash in the bank.

Louis February 19, 2018 at 2:36 pm

Only time will tell how well Mintshield works. The info. from the RCM said that it reduces them, not that it eliminates them entirely, which is probably not possible. Also spotted bullion sells for a discount, so spotting does matter on low premium bullion too.

Mouse February 20, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Louis – I don’t know about resale at reputable dealers down south but up here in the great white north, they care less about, milk spots, scratches or dings. Bullion coins are bullion coins and the premiums paid at sale for a silver stack remain the same. They make their money on volume / melt / not on individual bullion coins that are shiny. Sadly I had to learn this lesson the hard during the beginning of my stacking journey. Now I buy mint sealed tubes / mini boxes to ensure that maybe they are in good shape but mostly for low volume price. If I can buy a mixed year tube – mini box of older Maples or Eagles at a lower premium I jump on that first. Better return on sale and every cent counts in volume sales.

Old Collector February 20, 2018 at 7:50 pm

I think I will have to check both the RCM and the Perth Mint out more closely as a result of these interesting suggestions and solid recommendations of yours. Up to this point I have quite frankly just engaged in some rather cursory scanning of the assorted offerings of both of those mints, and a few other places along the way, but I haven’t as yet actually made any purchases from any of them. Perhaps, thanks to your kind and helpful encouragement, I will now begin to set about furthering the expansion of my all too long somewhat limited numismatic horizons.