In August, with more than 3,700 lots of world and ancient coins and paper money, Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio realized $9,807,440 at the Chicago ANA World’s Fair of Money. Stack’s Bowers Galleries was the Official Auctioneer for the show that ran from August 11 to August 16 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois.
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, the foreign and ancient coin and paper money division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries, conducted fourteen live numismatic auction sessions and two internet-only sessions, which brought in total sales of $46,483,309.
Significant pieces were offered from collections like the John J. Ford, Jr. Collection, the Thos. H. Law Collection, and the Richard Jewell Collection. Also up were lots that included pieces from the Bentley Shores Collection, the Dr. Edward and Joanne Dauer Collection of Silver Certificates, and the Demarete Collection.
Buyers saw more than 200 lots of ancient coins, and the hammer came down at $32,900 for Lot 11121, a Zeus Ammon Cyrene Tetradrachm in Very Fine-Extremely Fine condition. In world gold coins, the 1824-R Brazilian Peca of Pedro I coin, graded NGC MS-61, brought $47,000, and another centerpiece was the famed Wilson Dollar, also in NGC MS-61, that realized $50,525.
As for Russian coins, the event-maker was a 1726 Catherine I 2 Rubles, graded NGC AU-58, for $70,500. Also, a rare 1739 Ducat in PCGS EF-45 brought in $44,062.
When Session D took place, toppers of the nearly 450 lots of world crowns and minors included Lot 13170 featuring an Official Gold Medal from the 1936 Olympic Winter Games, $25,850, and for $23,500, the 1746 George II Crown in PSGS Proof-65.
Two mentionables selling at higher prices were a 1847 Gothic Crown in PCGS Proof-67 that sold for $26,438 and a 220-pound "Fei" from the island of Yap whose price wound up at $30,550.
Below is a bulleted list of the highlights for the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio August 2013 Official Auction of the ANA World’s Fair of Money.
- Lot 11017, ITALY. Bruttium. Rhegium (Reggio). AR Tetradrachm (17.21 Gms), Ca. 415-387 B.C. Realized $17,625
- Lot 11065, AEGINA. AR Stater (12.26 Gms), Ca. 480-457 B.C. Realized $22,325
- Lot 11121, CYRENAICA. Cyrene. AR Tetradrachm (16.39 Gms), Ca. 480-435 B.C. Realized $32,900
- Lot 11156, LUCIUS VERUS, A.D. 161-169. AV Aureus (7.16 Gms), Rome Mint, A.D. 163/4. Realized $11,162
- Lot 12001, ARGENTINA. 8 Escudos, 1832/1-RA P. NGC AU-58. Realized $17,625
- Lot 12033, BRAZIL. 12,800 Reis, 1733-M. NGC MS-65. Realized $34,075
- Lot 12071, BRAZIL. 6,400 Reis (Peca), 1824-R. NGC MS-61. Realized $47,000
- Lot 12247, GERMANY. Westphalia. 40 Franken, 1813-C. NGC MS-65. Realized $14,100
- Lot 12362, MEXICO. 8 Escudos, 1743-Mo MF. NGC MS-62. Realized $13,512
- Lot 12444, PHILIPPINES. Wilson Dollar In Gold, 1920. NGC MS-61. Realized $50,525
- Lot 12473, RUSSIA. 2 Rubles, 1726. NGC AU-58. Realized $70,500
- Lot 12474, RUSSIA. Ducat, 1739. PCGS EF-45 Secure Holder. Realized $44,062
- Lot 12484, RUSSIA. 3 Ruble, 1833-CNB. PCGS PROOF-66 CAMEO Secure Holder. Realized $35,250
- Lot 12490, RUSSIA. 10 Ruble, 1886-AT. PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder. Realized $25,850
- Lot 12523, SOUTH AFRICA. Pond, 1894. NGC MS-65. Realized $28,788
- Lot 13132, GERMAN NEW GUINEA. 5 Mark, 1894-A. NGC PROOF-66. Realized $26,438
- Lot 13170, GERMANY. Official Gold (Gilt Silver), 1936. Olympic Winter Games At Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Realized $25,850
- Lot 13177, GREAT BRITAIN. England. Crown, 1658/7. NGC MS-62. Realized $13,512
- Lot 13181, GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1739. NGC MS-65. Realized $15,275
- Lot 13182, GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1746. PCGS PROOF-65 Secure Holder. Realized $23,500
- Lot 13195, GREAT BRITAIN. Crown, 1847. PCGS PROOF-67. Realized $26,438
- Lot 13245, ITALY. Papal States. 1/2 Piastre, 1706. NGC MS-63. From the Demarete Collection. Realized $9,988
- Lot 13246, ITALY. Papal States. 1/2 Piastre, Year 11 (1711). NGC MS-63. From the Demarete Collection. Realized $8,695
- Lot 13268, JAPAN. Ansei Trade Dollar (3 Bu Or San Bu), ND (1859). NGC MS-62. Realized $25,850
- Lot 13284, MOROCCO. 10 Dirhams, AH 1299 (1882). Paris Mint Silver Proof. PCGS PROOF-66. Realized $15,275
- Lot 13323, POLAND. 100 Zlotych Proba, 1925. NGC MS-63. Realized $11,750
- Lot 13353, RUSSIA. Ruble, 1742-CNB. NGC MS-62. Realized $13,512
- Lot 13366, RUSSIA. Ruble, 1807-CNBOT. PCGS MS-63 Secure Holder. Realized $17,038
- Lot 13393, RUSSIA. 25 Kopek, 1900. NGC PROOF-66. Realized $18,212
- Lot 13432, VENEZUELA. Maracaibo. 2 Reales, 1814. Realized $12,925
- Lot 13433, YAP Island. Stone Money "Fei", ND (19th Century or Earlier). Realized $30,550
For more auction details and a complete list of realized prices, visit this Stack’s Bowers online page.
Consignments are currently being accepted for the January 2014 International sale, New York, and the April 2014 Hong Kong auction.