Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio conducted its April 2012 Hong Kong sale at the Mira Hotel in Kowloon. Drawing huge crowds of bidders, the four day auction event realized an impressive total of $10,546,612.
In three catalogs, the sale covered everything from Chinese coins and provincial issues to modern Chinese coins and paper money. The sale spotlighted important collections such as the Wa She Wong Collection, Part III, the Frank Robinson Collection, Part II, the Dr. John Abner Snell Collection, Duplicates from the American Numismatic Society Museum Collection, the Neil Nelson Collection and more.
Among Imperial issues was a rare 1911 Tientsin Pattern 50 Cents struck in silver graded NGC MS-63, an attractive piece from the ANS Museum Duplicates Collection that sold for $95,600. Provincial issues offered an extremely rare Kwan Ping Trade Coinage Pattern 1 Mace, struck in silver and graded NGC MS-64. An attractive coin with an interesting history, this piece climbed to a strong $107,550.
A few lots later appeared the finest certified Kwangtung Dollar (7 Mace 2 Candareens), a wonderful gem graded NGC SP-67 that saw heavy bidding and brought an exciting $167,300.
Modern Chinese issues featured a Gem Proof Yan Di 1993 500 Yuan, a coin from a mintage of just 99 pieces graded NGC Proof-68 Ultra Cameo. Hotly contested, this gem sold for an incredible $167,300, more than fifteen times its pre-sale estimate.
Executive Vice President Rick Ponterio noted, "I am very pleased with the results of our recent Hong Kong sale. The market for Asian rarities continues to grow and the demand for high quality numismatic items is at an all-time high. Attendance was very strong and enthusiasm was high — two strong factors that combined to create a dynamic sale."
Highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio April 2012 Hong Kong Auction include:
- Lot 20038, CHINA. Tai Ching Pattern Dollar Denominated "$1", ND (1910). Tientsin Mint. NGC MS-65. Realized $77,675
- Lot 20071, CHINA. Pattern 50 Cents (1/2 Dollar) Struck in Silver, Year 3 (1911). Tientsin Mint. NGC MS-63. Realized $95,600
- Lot 20390, CHINA. Soviet Issues Hupeh-Honan-Anwhei. Dollar, 1932. NGC XF-45. Realized $47,800
- Lot 21067, CHINA. Chihli (Pei Yang Arsenal). 50 Cents, Year 23 (1897). PCGS MS-64 Secure Holder. Realized $77,675
- Lot 21076, CHINA. Chihli (Pei Yang Arsenal). 7 Mace 2 Candareens (Dollar), Year 24 (1898). NGC MS-65. Realized $59,750
- Lot 21160, CHINA. Fengtien. Dollar, Year 25 (1899). NGC MS-62. Realized $59,750
- Lot 21274, CHINA. Hupeh. 7 Mace 2 Candareens (Dollar), ND (ca. 1909-11). NGC MS-65. Realized $41,825
- Lot 21465, CHINA. Kiangsu. 10 Cash Mule, ND (ca. 1905-07). NGC MS-62. Realized $32,863
- Lot 21559, CHINA. Kwan Ping Trade Coinage "Chinese-Foreign Circulating Coin". Pattern 1 Mace Struck in Silver, ND (ca. 1868). NGC MS-64. Realized $107,550
- Lot 21565, CHINA. Kwangtung. 7 Mace 2 Candareens (Dollar), ND (1891). NGC SP-67. Realized $167,300
- Lot 21571, CHINA. Kwangtung. 3 Mace 6 Candareens (50 Cents), ND (1891). PCGS SP-67. Realized $83,650
- Lot 21811, CHINA. Taiwan. Ju-I Military Ration "Lotus" Dollar (6 Mace 8 Candareens), ND (1853). NGC EF Details– Chop Marked. Realized $89,625
- Lot 22037, CAMBODIA. Pattern 3 Tical Struck in White Metal, CS 1208 (1847). NGC PROOF-63. Realized $50,788
- Lot 22146, HONG KONG. Dollar, 1867. PCGS MS-65. Realized $65,725
- Lot 23402, CHINA. 500 Yuan, 1993. Yan Di. NGC PROOF-68 ULTRA CAMEO. Realized $167,300
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio will return to Hong Kong for auctions in August 2012, to include the Wa She Wong Collection, Part IV, and April 2013, and is currently welcoming consignments for all upcoming auctions.
For a complete list of prices realized in the April 2012 Hong Kong Auction, visit www.stacksbowers.com or call at 949.253.0916. Upcoming Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio auctions include the Official Auction of the ANA World’s Fair of Money and ANA/PNG Pre-Show in August 2012, the August 2012 Hong Kong Auction, and the Official Auction of the Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo in November 2012.
About Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is the world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. It was founded in 1982 as Ponterio & Associates by Richard Ponterio, renowned specialist in world and ancient numismatics, who is now executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries.
Past auctions have included such notable coin collections as the Wa She Wong Collection, the John S. Davenport Collection, the Witte Museum Collection, the Amat Collection, the Joe Lasser Collection, and the James Hunnicut Collection. Distinguished paper money collections include the East Bay Collection of International Bank Notes, and the Eduard Kann Chinese Bank Note Collection, along with treasure collections from the shipwrecks "Nicobar," "Rooswijk," and "Capitana."
For more information about the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio April 2012 Hong Kong Auction, call 949.253.0916 or visit www.stacksbowers.com.