2018 Native American $1 Coin Image Unveiled

by Mike Unser on January 31, 2018 · 18 comments

The United States Mint last week published images of the 2018 Native American dollar. The $1 coin series is known for its annually changing reverse designs. This year’s coins pays homage to sports legend Jim Thorpe.

2018 Native American $1 Coin - Sacagawea Obverse and Jim Thorpe Reverse

2018 Native American $1 Coin obverse and reverse)

Dollar coins are no longer released into circulation but the U.S. Mint continues to strike them for coin collectors.

Circulating quality versions of the new $1 launch on Feb. 15. They will be available in 25-coin rolls, 100-coin bags and 250-coin boxes with options of dollars produced from U.S. Mint facilities in Denver and Philadelphia at prices of $32.95; $111.95; and $275.95.

2018 Native American $1 Coin - Jim Thorpe Reverse

Reverse of 2018 dollar

The U.S. Mint in December publicly unveiled the $1 design following a review process that included 15 proposed designs. Created by Michael Gaudioso, it depicts a profile of Thorpe in the background while the foreground highlights his achievement in football and as an Olympian.

Native American $1 coin obverses (heads sides) are the same each year. They share Glenna Goodacre’s portrait of Sacagawea that has been used since the Sacagawea golden dollar debuted in 2000.

2018 Native American $1 Coin - Sacagawea Obverse

Obverse of Native American dollars

Authorized under Public Law 110-82, the dollar program celebrates the important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the history and development of the United States.

Next year’s dollar will honor the important contributions Native Americans have made within the U.S. space program.

Richard January 31, 2018 at 9:25 am

Very nice, and he certainly deserves the honor, but I wish the Mint would do another “coins and currency” package. Those were good looking and the dollars had special finishes.

Anyway, I wonder how long this Native American series will continue, given that they aren’t circulating. It’s funny, but you read the original legislation authorizing them and it states, “In order to remove barriers to circulation, the Secretary of the Treasury shall carry out an aggressive, cost-effective, continuing campaign to encourage commercial enterprises to accept and dispense $1 coins….” That did not go so well.

Larry Schmitt January 31, 2018 at 10:55 am

These will never circulate as long as the Treasury continues to print dollar bills. It shows the difference between the US and Canada, where they stopped printing both $1 and $2 bills, and replaced them with the Loonie and the Toonie.

Tinto January 31, 2018 at 10:56 am

@Richard

I too would like to see it in a C&C set … the Mint in its infinite stupidity took it off its product line in 2017 while they minted 225,000 enhanced unc dollars for the EU set .. the C&C set was nicely done IMO and informative with yearly changing reverse .. could have gotten a kid to start collecting coins .. but all the Mint wants to do is cater to the big boys and big ticket items .. .. and their “managers” don’t get penalized for their bone headed “decisions” all IMO

I will buy this one because I like the design of the reverse a lot

Joe Brown January 31, 2018 at 11:18 am

As *mom would would always say, ”as i* sunk down in my seat” when she enjoy*d the show, Bravo, Bravo, Bravo*.

Munzen January 31, 2018 at 3:25 pm

@Larry

– as has nearly every other major (and many minor) country on the planet. IMO a lot of the inertia has to do with (a) blindness to the idea of wide use of a $2 denomination, which short-circuits the “pockets full of $1 coins” argument and (b) the fact that Congress has to approve nearly every modification to our coins, which leads to decisions made by grandstanding and lobbying rather than efficiency and common sense.

Joe Brown January 31, 2018 at 5:10 pm

As far as the $1- bill go,s on being printed, maybe the people who run the show, use their, third i – “A,O” to sea with, 3rd i blind.

Seth Riesling January 31, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Richard –

Great point on the $1 coins. It is ironic that in spite of the mandate in the law that the Secretary of the Treasury basically do everything possible to get this coin series to circulate, that former SOT Timothy F. Geithner on December 13, 2011 issued an edict to the U.S. Mint to stop putting any $1 presidential coins & $1 Native American $1 coins into circulation due to the tons sitting in Federal Reserve Bank vaults unused basically. Approximately $1.2 billion $1 coins sit in a building that was built in Dallas, Texas to hold them at a cost of $600,000 for the building to the taxpayers of the USA! And even more $1 coins are sitting in the Federal Reserve Banks 12 districts vaults across the USA.

-NumisdudeTX

Mouse February 1, 2018 at 9:28 am

As a Canadian and avid numismatist, I am use to one and two dollar coins. It is surprising to me to read that so many one dollar coins sit in vaults and are un-used in the USA economy. I am going to start adding these beautiful and very important USA coins in my collection. It is a matter of time before they are used in circulation down south. I believe the USA penny will go as well, as did Canada’s. Time to collect for the future change of currency.

Mouse

Larry Schmitt February 1, 2018 at 10:44 am

@Mouse: Virtually every other country has eliminated their smallest coin, as they can’t be used to buy anything. I think every country in the Eurozone has stopped minting 1 and 2 cent coins, except possibly in collector sets. At one time India was minting their smallest denomination coins from aluminum. I held a couple of them in my hand, and if I hadn’t been looking at them, I wouldn’t have known there was anything there. If you’re going to make coins from aluminum, why even bother? But in the US, the mining lobby and the Illinois Congressional delegation (Lincoln) keep the pennies in production. We need to get Congress out of the decision process.

Mouse February 1, 2018 at 1:29 pm

Greetings Larry, I fully agree with you. It costs more to produce the penny than it’s worth. Makes no sense to continue minting the product. I’m sure your congress has more pressing matters to attend to…like saving tax paying citizens money.

Mouse

Chas Barber February 1, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Much nicer design than last years, which was really kind of scary to my 8 year old! Regardless, the $1 coins are like gift that keeps on going… What is the taxpayers cost to melt like 50,000,000 Prez$1…?

Joe Brown February 2, 2018 at 12:26 am

I have to give credit, where credit is do one more time, great job people of the U.S. Mint* of the making of this coin of Mr. Jim Thorpe a rock solid of a man, not just because he built like a rock, but he was a rock solid human being, and a true *first family of the *country we live in today, USA, how could you not be a good man and a good sport, with the name *bright path*, some of you guys just can’t be pleased, just like someone i* know oh so very well, how could you not like this, wheres your *American Sprite* how could you not love a coin like this, by all means i* know, i’m no one to speak, i,m the first to emit it, but when i* sea so much negative energy being used so much, i — write in negative energy, a real downer, i can feel it owhzzing threw the scream here, but i*ll always go with my positive +++++ energy first, i swear some people just live of there positive energy all the time, bad funk to be in, bummer.

Joe Brown February 2, 2018 at 12:38 am

all right, the laugh is on >me<, for not proof reading what i* write, got'a take a leak real bad,""live of their negative – – – energy all the time'''' i tell ya it sucks getting old.

Munzen February 2, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Larry – in spite of their cost and inefficiency, 1- and 2-cent coins are still being used issued by the majority of eurozone countries. From what I’ve been able to find at the ECB and European Commission sites, only Finland, Belgium, Ireland, and the Netherlands are currently rounding to the nearest €0.05 although Estonia will probably do the same.

Interestingly, the little coins are technically legal tender across the eurozone so presumably you can still spend them in “rounding” countries. That must create more than a few annoyances for merchants in those nations.

As a side note, so long as the US has of quarters instead of 20¢ coins it would be very difficult to eventually eliminate the nickel, as some other countries have done or proposed. The reason of course is that getting rid of both the cent and nickel would leave us with only 2 circulating coins, one of which isn’t a multiple of the other. After Canada ended cent production the Royal Mint looked at whether it would be practical to zap the nickel as well and concluded it would monkey-wrench making change for many purchases. Their proposal, currently inactive, would be to withdraw the quarter in favor of a 20¢ piece and issue a new, smaller 50¢ coin.

Larry Schmitt February 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Munzen, I had read that several countries, the Netherlands, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Hungary and Belgium, had already ditched the smallest coins, and last year Ireland and Italy were in the process of doing so, so I assumed that they would be on the way out all over Europe. They cost much more to produce than they’re worth, and the only thing consumers can do with them is save them and exchange them for “real” money. If they want to keep them in collector sets for nostalgia, as with the dollar and half dollar coins here, that would make sense. But there are a lot of logical changes that could be made in this country that won’t be made because Congress has to make the changes, and they’re not in the business of actually doing anything.

Joe Brown February 2, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Muzen – thanks for pointing that out, on your side note,which says one of which isn’t a multiple of the other, which is the dime & quarter,if they – every do away with the cent & nickel. I’ll say this again tho, just me i* guess so far, the reason for all the hoarding of $1 coins all these years, is for whenever or if ever the ”dukey’s” start to fly, & all the greenbacks they keep pumping out to the world turns to crap paper only, you won’t even be able to buy a roll of ass wipe with a c*- note$$$, never flushed one, but i’m sure they will ”clog” the system all over the streets of the world, the world will be infested with garbage fly,s & maggots, and there will be mile long lines for all these dollar coins that they been hoarding for years, to be issued out. ? does anyone know the real reason why for all the hoarding at the cost of *our tax dollars all these years, feel *free to speak up! that’s just my ,,stinking thinking,, what i have to say here, i’m no one to judge your thought*s on this matter, that’s been brought up for some time now, don’t worry it’s free right now to speak up.

Munzen February 2, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Larry – ” there are a lot of logical changes that could be made in this country that won’t be made because Congress has to make the changes, and they’re not in the business of actually doing anything.”

I couldn’t have said it any better!

FWIW, after my earlier posts I did some more searching and found that various polls within the EU showed a majority of respondents in all but one country favored ditching 1 and 2 cent coins. Presumably the corresponding national governments will catch up at some point. As for here, I expect my future grandchildren will still be using little pictures of Lincoln in 2095.

Joe Brown February 6, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Larry Schmitt – I remember as a kid, i sent away, from a clipping from a comic book, to Littleton Coin, up in the state of N.H, for a package of small change from around the world, it had to cost me no more than a $1.25 i remember, because i put all my, penny’s, nickels,& dime,s in plastic lunch warp and tied the warp into a knot, and then into your avg,size envelope 4” x 9” and licked it & sealed it, then i printed the address on the envelope, it looked real good, ”NOT” smart huh, then i stuck all the 1 cent, 2 cent, three cent, 5 cent stamps on it front & back, and sent it on it’s way, well hats of to our *U.S.P.S & Littleton Coin, i forgot all about it, because i mailed in mid spring & it came back early summer, Pony Express i guess*, my Dad & i have the same giving nickname, so my Mom, said is this yours, because, she said any mail that my Father gets has it’s real name it, ” what the hell do i know” that’s the name every body calls me by so it’s *real. Well i got back more than i bargin for, a good package of small change from around the world, in one of those wax paper envelopes, with typing on it, saying what country they came from, they were all ”Tin” ten of them, as light as a feather all ten in the palm of my hand, with pictures of *Elephant & Tigers* ”wild kingdom” in the palm of my hand, ”smile*” not all were round tho, a first for me to sea* the one i liked the best was 4 – 3/4 circles join*d together, that was 1969 or 70 no later, for the ”tin or aluminum coins, as you mention in your blog, they been around for a many long years.