2016 Standing Liberty Gold Coin Notches First-Day Sales of 47,884

by Mike Unser on September 9, 2016 · 69 comments

2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Quarter

Standing Liberty Gold Coin sales in the first day reached 47,884, or 47.9% of the 100,000 maximum

Nearly half of the allotted 2016-W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Coins sold in the first day, the United States Mint announced Friday morning, Sept. 9.

"First day sales of the Standing Liberty 2016 Centennial Gold Coin, only offered via the phone and online catalog, with a mintage limit of 100,000, and household order limit of one: 47,884 coins," U.S. Mint spokesman Michael White said in an email.

Most early buyers, say those ordering within the first 30 minutes or so, had to navigate the obstacles of an exceptionally busy U.S. Mint website. There was a stampede to get them.

The household ordering limit of one coin earned collectors’ eventual happiness. It assured the coin’s availability through the first day and beyond.

Dealers and flippers, on the other hand, are feeling some burn. The lack of a quick sellout will depress short-term secondary market prices for this coin, sapping its buzz and making an eventual sellout less likely even with lifted limits.

At a higher limit level, perhaps 2-3 coins per household, all parties may have screamed today with joy. But then, of course, hindsight is 20/20.

We’ll publish gold Standing Liberty quarter photos as soon as possible. Usually ordering takes us less than 30 seconds for regular U.S. Mint products and under 5 minutes for those in high-demand. Not this time. We got knocked out early in the line to buy, and couldn’t place an order for nearly 20 minutes.

The U.S. Mint’s product page for the collectible is right here. Place phone orders at 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

Update (Sept. 13): The U.S. Mint reported sales of 53,378 coins through Sunday, Sept. 11.

Christopher Williams September 12, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I received an email from the US Mint that my order was shipped today.

Whistler September 12, 2016 at 4:58 pm

’33 double eagles, bra$her dabloons, 1913 nickels & 1964 Peace dollars most likely

Lindy September 12, 2016 at 5:11 pm

“Budget Shipping
•Orders completed by mail, phone, fax, or through the United States Mint Online Catalog have a budget shipping fee of $4.95 per order.
•Packages shipped in the continental United States using the United States Mint’s budget shipping option usually arrive within 1 to 2 weeks.

Standard Shipping
•Orders completed by mail, phone, fax, or through the United States Mint Online Catalog using standard shipping method have a fee of $12.95 per order.
•Packages shipped in the continental United States using the United States Mint’s standard shipping option usually arrive within 3 to 6 business days.

Expedited Shipping
•You will be charged $17.95 for the United States Mint’s Expedited Shipping option.
•Packages shipped using the United States Mint’s Expedited Shipping option usually arrive within 2 to 3 business days.
•Orders with Merchandise valued at $300 or more with a budget or standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to signature-required Ground Shipping. Gift Wrap and Shipping and Handling charges are not considered part of the Merchandise total.
•Shipments containing any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles with a standard delivery option chosen will receive a complimentary upgrade to Expedited Shipping. If you choose expedited shipping you will be charged a fee of $12.95 regardless of if your shipment contains any gold or platinum United States Mint collectibles.”

I miss the US Mint free delivery, speed upgrades, discounts for subscription coins, …

My $4.95 gets me just a sign for service and up to two weeks delivery.

Boo !

Lindy

Michael Bodge September 12, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Whistler you forgot the 1/2 disme made from George Washington’s silver flat ware

Neil September 13, 2016 at 8:28 am

I wonder what the sales figures is now. I am getting the SLQ today! Hooray! I ought to get it slabbed next to my 1917 T2 to make an interesting pair. Nah. But it would be cool for whoever is lucky to have a 1916 to get it slabbed with 2016 SLQ. It would be striking.

Now come on mint! Release those captive mercs! On to the walkers!

Jack September 13, 2016 at 9:03 am

Any updates on sales?

Seth Riesling September 13, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Got my SLQ gold coin today. It is beautiful overall, with just one very tiny small scratch on obverse field. I needed to move it around under a light to notice it. I will keep it & my perfect Winged Liberty Head gold dime & look forward to the gold half dollar coin.

-NumisDudeTX

Michael Bodge September 13, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I will receive my SLQ on Friday 9/16 8 days after purchase but that’s OK because I never opened mercury dime and I will not open SLQ just leave in mint shipping box then get Walker and submit all three unopened boxes to pcgs for first strikes designations all coins from West point in SP finish are 69/70 so not worried I will see

Nels September 13, 2016 at 4:50 pm

U.S.A Mint now that you did such a good job keeping these coins out of the hands of the greedy ones that wanted to make huge profits of of them and they are now having to lower there prices, I ask you this. Bring Back the GOLD MERCURY DIME and the AMERICAN LIBERTY 2016 SILVER MEDAL that I wanted so badly and you let them sell out so fast to the greedy ones… Do that or please take them down from your website! I’m getting sick of the tease of seeing them and have sent in tons of the remind me when you have them available!!! I’m so happy I have 2016 Standing Liberty coin on its way! I wanted the gold dime so bad and waiting for it to come out and it was sold so fast I never got the chance to purchase! Now I may never get the chance to buy that or the American liberty silver metal. Leaving them up you are being a Big tease!!!

Rooster September 13, 2016 at 7:57 pm

Total of 53378 sold through 9/11.

Neil September 14, 2016 at 8:27 am

I got my SLQ yesterday. Love it. Looks great. My wife likes it, too. I wish they had made the planchet just a bit smaller to the diameter could be more quarter-like but that may not have been possible. Still I’m enjoying it. Very nicely presented.

Sue September 14, 2016 at 12:06 pm

HSN tonite at 8:00 ET Mike Mezack is selling the SLQ slabbed SP70 for $999.95.
Pretty funny…

Seth Riesling September 14, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Sue –

That is funny & sad at the same time! The Numismatic Devil Mr. Mezack is at his ripoff tricks once again.

-NumisDudeTX

joera September 15, 2016 at 5:55 am

I’m wondering if they will raise the HH limit?

joera September 15, 2016 at 6:00 am

The first day sales are lower than I thought they would be.

Nels September 15, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Neil, what is this SLQ deal? How long ago did you sign up for it or whatever?

Nels September 15, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I just received my coin today!!! It is Beautiful, little smaller then I thought but still happy i received a good one!

Michael Bodge September 16, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I received my SLQ today will leave in shipping box and submit all three centennial coins at on time.also purchased 30th anniversary ASE already slabed in first day of issue and will wait for burnished coin and complete set in FDI I think getting lowest population for ASE set is a good idea

Mike Unser (CoinNews.net) September 20, 2016 at 2:00 pm

The U.S. Mint is removing the household order limit effective tomorrow, Wednesday, September 21.